Does Anyone Not Like Roger Federer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Not Like Roger Federer?

There he went and did it again....a record setting 8th Wimbledon, and two majors this year, when even he had counted himself out. He was spot on this week, not losing one set. Sure, some of the big boys were not in the way, but he has still made an amazing comeback this season!

The thing is, he is now on the verge of regaining the #1 position, something that seemed totally out of reach, as he got older and was nursing some wounds.

But not only is this one of the greatest players of all time (and apparently alive and kicking again!), he is easily one of the classiest and most likable. Even his opponents have difficulty getting psyched to beat him!:clap:

Not a bad combination of characteristics!

Last edited by CanDB; 07-16-2017, 09:08 PM.

He's a'ight
    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      There he went and did it again....a record setting 8th Wimbledon, and two majors this year, when even he had counted himself out. He was spot on this week, not losing one set. Sure, some of the big boys were not in the way, but he has still made an amazing comeback this season!

The thing is, he is now on the verge of regaining the #1 position, something that seemed totally out of reach, as he got older and was nursing some wounds.

But not only is this one of the greatest players of all time (and apparently alive and kicking again!), he is easily one of the classiest and most likable. Even his opponents have difficulty getting psyched to beat him!:clap:

Not a bad combination of characteristics!

It's such a joy and privilege watching Federer play. His mastery of the game is so absolute that I don't think it has ever had an equal in history. Watching him best his arch-rival in the Australian open for his 18th slam - just incredible at his age (in five sets no less). Then he follows that up by breezing through Wimbledon in straight sets for his 19th (and record 8th at the All England Club)??? I can't wait for the US Open...we'll see if he can pull a Grand Slam hat trick at age 36 (his birthday is in three weeks).

He's a class act all the way, on and off the court. Greatest of all time, in my opinion.
      To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Sorry, I cannot comment. To me watching tennis is like watching golf-- just not into it unless there is blood or some kind of a brawl. HEY! There's an idea! Full-Contact Tennis! "FINISH HIM!"
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
          Sorry, I cannot comment. To me watching tennis is like watching golf-- just not into it unless there is blood or some kind of a brawl. HEY! There's an idea! Full-Contact Tennis! "FINISH HIM!"
          Tennis is awesome! You have ball smacking and ground strokes with tea and crumpets. It's a racket, I'm telling ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
            Tennis is awesome! You have ball smacking and ground strokes with tea and crumpets. It's a racket, I'm telling ya.
            You missed the days of John McEnroe....the days when players basically fought the refs!! It could have been great, with the player charging and the ref diving down on them. As long as no one dirtied their nice, white clothing!

Comment

The best thing about tennis is the women
              "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

You missed the days of John McEnroe....the days when players basically fought the refs!! It could have been great, with the player charging and the ref diving down on them. As long as no one dirtied their nice, white clothing!
                Johnny Mac recently said had he played in the days of Hawkeye technology he would have been 20% better as a player but 40% more boring!

Comment

I was a wee lad, but I remember. Here's one of his finest - Answer my QUESTION!!! THE QUESTION, JERK!

Today, we're blessed with Nick Kyrgios...not quite the same.

Comment

I was a wee lad, but I remember. Here's one of his finest - Answer my QUESTION!!! THE QUESTION, JERK!

Today, we're blessed with Nick Kyrgios...not quite the same.
                    I wish I hadn't watched this....only in recent years have I started to like the guy. He has won me over by being a good analyst and a thoughtful one at that.

But he was such a jerk back then!

Comment

I wish I hadn't watched this....only in recent years have I started to like the guy. He has won me over by being a good analyst and a thoughtful one at that.

But he was such a jerk back then!
                      He was a fantastic jerk back in his heyday! Contrast this with the class of Federer.

Mac is certainly an outstanding (and entertaining) analyst on TV.

Comment

He was a fantastic jerk back in his heyday! Contrast this with the class of Federer.

Mac is certainly an outstanding (and entertaining) analyst on TV.
                        Hey Gman....I often think of two great sports people who were not entirely likable in their prime, but became two of the very best analysts in their respective sports, and much more sensitive than I ever knew. Johnny Mac in tennis, and Johnny Miller in golf. Both men were loved and not so loved, and both had some form of swagger/cockiness. But I really enjoy listening to them as analysts. They are human, and knowledgeable, and unbiased as I can tell. And I have a theory that makes both them contrary to my common take on great players....that they have difficulty getting through to all of us, because it came easy for them. This is often true of coaching and higher level management positions in sports. I find the grinders and the regular players often learn things the hard way, so therefore they can communicate better than the greats. But these two men defy my logic.

And not that you can't find obvious exceptions, like Elway of course, or Mario Lemieux as an owner, and many others, but I find that coaches for sure are usually players who had to work hard to get somewhere.

Again....these two gents I mention are excellent examples of how greats can communicate their games to the masses.

GOOD ON THEM!!!
                        Last edited by CanDB; 07-19-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I remember McEnroe was on the news a lot with his antics. I did meet Jimmy Connors once at the Playboy Mansion. It was more like a passing waive hello and a waive back.
                          sigpic

Comment

I remember McEnroe was on the news a lot with his antics. I did meet Jimmy Connors once at the Playboy Mansion. It was more like a passing waive hello and a waive back.
                            OK PAL.....gotta stop you in your tracks!

PLAYBOY MANSION!!!!

Man, you sure changed the landscape of this thread, with one little sideline.....how the heck can I outdo that one???

Comment

Hey Gman....I often think of two great sports people who were not entirely likable in their prime, but became two of the very best analysts in their respective sports, and much more sensitive than I ever knew. Johnny Mac in tennis, and Johnny Miller in golf. Both men were loved and not so loved, and both had some form of swagger/cockiness. But I really enjoy listening to them as analysts. They are human, and knowledgeable, and unbiased as I can tell. And I have a theory that makes both them contrary to my common take on great players....that they have difficulty getting through to all of us, because it came easy for them. This is often true of coaching and higher level management positions in sports. I find the grinders and the regular players often learn things the hard way, so therefore they can communicate better than the greats. But these two men defy my logic.

And not that you can't find obvious exceptions, like Elway of course, or Mario Lemieux as an owner, and many others, but I find that coaches for sure are usually players who had to work hard to get somewhere.

Again....these two gents I mention are excellent examples of how greats can communicate their games to the masses.

GOOD ON THEM!!!
                              That’s a good take on the grinder folk that have more translatable experience to share. The savants that walk among us are probably less abled to communicate their path to greatness that is applicable to us normal folk (or “normies”).

I guess some people just have that magic TV gene…a certain charisma that just pops on camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X