Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Have Been Cancellations....From a Health Perspective, Lets Hope For The Best

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • There Have Been Cancellations....From a Health Perspective, Lets Hope For The Best

    I want this virus to disappear....and quickly, and with as little impact on human life as possible. Intelligent management and coordinated effort, from all of us, will play a big part. Facts and common sense, along with extensive use (of) and cohesion in the medical science community will provide answers, and actions.

    There have been cancellations, and there will be more. Mostly precautionary in nature. But I do believe we will learn as a world wide "community" how this is evolving, based on the extensiveness of the cancellations in the sports world, and more critically, in the world of social activity.

    We should not fear caution. We should live, but live by the wisest of rules. And I prefer we work this out, together, using all the brilliance of this intelligent world...while extending as much support for those impacted as we can.

    We are a "community".
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-07-2020, 08:22 PM.

  • #2
    To preface...health and safety should always be top row on our lists.

    As expected, cancellations/rescheduling is now an every day, every hour, every minute occurrence. Many of us have already been involved in some sort of "rethink", or action related to it, likely travel related....but in so many other ways.

    I wonder if playoffs will be held with fans on site, or held at all. I have my doubts about The Olympics. I can see extreme caution going forward. And it is the right approach. We must understand what we are dealing with, be able to measure and monitor, and hopefully find a solid remedy. But this comes with time, and effort, and confidence levels will only be restored in time, very gradually, and with coordination and cooperation around the globe. But it will come, just when is the unknown....with wisdom and common sense.

    The good news is we can interact in this world, via the "world wide" social tools we have. And I wonder, though it may be inconsequential, how many keyboards will be touched by this "thing". Share wisely. We can still talk to one another, and work together as well.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-10-2020, 11:30 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Jazz game postponed. Jazz players have an illness. It’s getting dicey.

      Comment


      • #4
        NBA play suspended after tonight. Gobert has the corona virus and both teams are quarantined at the stadium in OKC.

        Comment


        • #5
          NBA Suspends The Season

          As a Knicks fan this makes me happy. But seriously, Jazz center Rudy Gobert tested positive for the Coronavirus which may have prompted this decision.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
            As a Knicks fan this makes me happy. But seriously, Jazz center Rudy Gobert tested positive for the Coronavirus which may have prompted this decision.


            Well that was a good move. It can be transmitted from an infected person who is asymptomatic, so they can't just quarantine the guys who test positive.

            Comment


            • #7
              This is going to get worse, and people need to be smart. But testing has been minimal in places it needs to increase, and quickly. If you don't know who is infected, other than shutting down everything, how do you manage?

              Comment


              • #8
                One more thought this night....it's better to suck it up and close whatever needs to be closed. Take our medicine so to speak. But testing has to speed up, because otherwise these sacrifices by players and fans and owners and so many others is only partially effective. In a perfect world, if we could produce tons of test kits immediately....I would make that job one, along with minimized social gathering and of course, quarantining those infected/affected. Keep the hospitals from being taxed. We have to remember, older folks and those with weak systems are really in jeopardy without help, if they get this virus. Lets not let them down. Nor the hospitals and their staff, who need resourcing and space and equipment and materials and so on.

                Contain, test/test/test, respond effectively, and monitor. If done properly, this thing could peak much sooner, and therefore we can restore living as we know it, with far fewer casualties.

                And for heaven's sake....let the medical folks dictate the way things go.
                Last edited by CanDB; 03-11-2020, 11:22 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  One more thought this night....it's better to suck it up and close whatever needs to be closed. Take our medicine so to speak. But testing has to speed up, because otherwise these sacrifices by players and fans and owners and so many others is only partially effective. In a perfect world, if we could produce tons of test kits immediately....I would make that job one, along with minimized social gathering and of course, quarantining those infected/affected. Keep the hospitals from being taxed. We have to remember, older folks and those with weak systems are really in jeopardy without help, if they get this virus. Lets not let them down. Nor the hospitals and their staff, who need resourcing and space and equipment and materials and so on.

                  Contain, test/test/test, respond effectively, and monitor. If done properly, this thing could peak much sooner, and therefore we can restore living as we know it, with far fewer casualties.
                  A lot of people are going to be unhappy with the shutdowns / cancellations / postponements. I think it's best to be safe, though.

                  Not sports related (they do have martial arts demos ), but I have been going to the Sakura Matsuri (Japanese Street Festival. Right after the Cherry Blossom Parade) in DC for the last 10 years or so. It's outside but in an enclosed area. International crowd. And we take the Metro. Having a compromised immune system, I'm seriously thinking of not going this year (4 April).
                  Administrator
                  sigpic

                  #LupusAwareness

                  #TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

                  "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                    A lot of people are going to be unhappy with the shutdowns / cancellations / postponements. I think it's best to be safe, though.

                    Not sports related (they do have martial arts demos ), but I have been going to the Sakura Matsuri (Japanese Street Festival. Right after the Cherry Blossom Parade) in DC for the last 10 years or so. It's outside but in an enclosed area. International crowd. And we take the Metro. Having a compromised immune system, I'm seriously thinking of not going this year (4 April).
                    My wife and kids have a trip planned, and one of them has another trip planned for Italy...I told them a few weeks ago that they should expect not to be flying.....rescheduling to when I don't know.

                    I expect The NHL to take action, possibly today. World events are being cancelled. I hate to say it, but few events will continue, in the next few months. I am trying to be optimistic, and not just because of sports....because this could cause economies to decline for a long time. Lost jobs etc. And worst of all, lost lives.

                    We just have to be wise, and follow what the medical folks recommend.

                    I do expect the innovative folks to take a lead, whether in medicine or otherwise. I like to believe that the Bill Gates, Warrren Buffet types will think this through, and help fund progress. I believe Gates is already involved. Lets let the wisest and ones with the funds do what they do best.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      According to ESPN Donovan Mitchell has also tested positive. They also said in that article that Gobert displayed a cavalier attitude about it and was touching everything so the whole team probably has it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        NHL suspends play. MLB suspends preseason.

                        It's the wise route.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Looks like the King of Gambling holidays is at risk. Duke and Kansas withdraw from March Madness. The Big 5 all have cancelled their tournaments. MLB has pushed back opening day at least 2 weeks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                            According to ESPN Donovan Mitchell has also tested positive. They also said in that article that Gobert displayed a cavalier attitude about it and was touching everything so the whole team probably has it.
                            I can totally see that after watching him do it to the podium at that post game interview.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              My wife and kids have a trip planned, and one of them has another trip planned for Italy...I told them a few weeks ago that they should expect not to be flying.....rescheduling to when I don't know.

                              I expect The NHL to take action, possibly today. World events are being cancelled. I hate to say it, but few events will continue, in the next few months. I am trying to be optimistic, and not just because of sports....because this could cause economies to decline for a long time. Lost jobs etc. And worst of all, lost lives.

                              We just have to be wise, and follow what the medical folks recommend.

                              I do expect the innovative folks to take a lead, whether in medicine or otherwise. I like to believe that the Bill Gates, Warrren Buffet types will think this through, and help fund progress. I believe Gates is already involved. Lets let the wisest and ones with the funds do what they do best.
                              Italy has been hit hard. I hope they listen to Dad.

                              Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                              According to ESPN Donovan Mitchell has also tested positive. They also said in that article that Gobert displayed a cavalier attitude about it and was touching everything so the whole team probably has it.
                              I just heard that he apologized for it. Like that's going to help.
                              Administrator
                              sigpic

                              #LupusAwareness

                              #TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

                              "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X