Indy 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy 500

Maybe there's something to the legend of the Andretti Curse at Indy. Andretti Autosport qualified five of their six cars/drivers in the top ten including polesitter Marco Andretti. As the race unfolded the Andretti Autosport driver with the best chance to win was Alexander Rossi, but the team's miscues resulted in a penalty at about lap 121 putting Rossi at the back of the field. About twenty laps later Rossi crashed while trying to catch up.

In the end, five of the six Andretti Autosport drivers finished: James Hinchcliffe 7th; Colton Herta 8th; Ryan Hunter-Reay 10th; polesitter Marco Andretti came in 13th; Zach Veach 15th. Alexander Rossi didn't finish due to his crash, but was placed 27th. Their highest finisher, James Hinchcliffe, is running only three races for Andretti Autosport this year.

The media spent much time talking about the Andretti family's legacy at Indy. Five members of their family have participated in the Indy 500. When the field was taking their formation laps, the two-seater leading contained Mario and Michael with Marco on pole. The only Indy 500 win the Andrettis have is Mario's in 1969.

In the commentary on the Andretti family, I didn't hear any mention of the Unser family's legacy at Indy, since they were talking about families and the race. Seven members of the Unser family have participated at the Indy 500, and they have a total of nine victories, eight since Mario's win in 1969.

All in all it was an embarrassing performance for Andretti Autosport. One wonders if Alexander Rossi had any offers besides Andretti's last year when he re-signed.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I enjoyed the race. And I'm so glad they have added safety features to the track and cars. That last crash was scary.

Andretti Autosport has some good drivers. Things just didn't work out Sunday.

They have won 3 500s since 2014. That's not too bad.

I do hope Hinchcliffe gets a full time ride for next year. I didn't like the way he was treated before the season began. I saw him on Dale Jr Download. He went into detail about his crash. Amazing. He has such a good attitude.

Congrats to Sato!
    Administrator
    sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
      I enjoyed the race. And I'm so glad they have added safety features to the track and cars. That last crash was scary.

Andretti Autosport has some good drivers. Things just didn't work out Sunday.

They have won 3 500s since 2014. That's not too bad.

I do hope Hinchcliffe gets a full time ride for next year. I didn't like the way he was treated before the season began. I saw him on Dale Jr Download. He went into detail about his crash. Amazing. He has such a good attitude.

Congrats to Sato!
      There were several bad crashes, but I agree the last one that brought out the yellow under which the race concluded was very scary.

Andretti Autosport hasn't had good luck this year. One of their Indy winners was Takuma Sato. Congrats to him for his second Indy 500 win.

I saw Dale, Jr's interview with Hinch and thought it was pretty cool. Hinchcliffe is a good interview. How do you like Jimmy Johnson's throwback tribute paint scheme?

If you're ever in ABQ, you should check out the Unser Racing Museum. It's not huge, but it's nicely presented. When my wife and I were there last time, they had a couple of Dale, Jr. cars on display including the one he drove to victory in Michigan, I believe. They have some videos of the Pike's Peak Hillclimb that will make you nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        There were several bad crashes, but I agree the last one that brought out the yellow under which the race concluded was very scary.

Andretti Autosport hasn't had good luck this year. One of their Indy winners was Takuma Sato. Congrats to him for his second Indy 500 win.

I saw Dale, Jr's interview with Hinch and thought it was pretty cool. Hinchcliffe is a good interview. How do you like Jimmy Johnson's throwback tribute paint scheme?

If you're ever in ABQ, you should check out the Unser Racing Museum. It's not huge, but it's nicely presented. When my wife and I were there last time, they had a couple of Dale, Jr. cars on display including the one he drove to victory in Michigan, I believe. They have some videos of the Pike's Peak Hillclimb that will make you nervous.
        I love the throwback tributes. Johnson's is a very special one. Love the thought and detail they put into it.

I'll put that on my list of things to do. I wonder if Unser Jr's personal problems have anything to do with them not mentioning the Unser family in the broadcast? Also, because the Andretti family is currently more involved than the Unsers.

I've seen some clips of races on Pike's Peak. Crazy. We could see Pike's Peak from our apartment complex (I lived in Colorado Springs for 2 years). That was as close as I got.
        Administrator
        sigpic

#LupusAwareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I love the throwback tributes. Johnson's is a very special one. Love the thought and detail they put into it.

I'll put that on my list of things to do. I wonder if Unser Jr's personal problems have anything to do with them not mentioning the Unser family in the broadcast? Also, because the Andretti family is currently more involved than the Unsers.

I've seen some clips of races on Pike's Peak. Crazy. We could see Pike's Peak from our apartment complex (I lived in Colorado Springs for 2 years). That was as close as I got.
          Right. Discussing the Unsers usually leads to mention of Al Jr's substance abuse problems. His uncle, Bobby, also had the snowmobile incident that resulted in Federal charges. Some of the Unsers have been ticketed for speeding in the ABQ area at one time or another. They can be viewed as a wild group at times.

The Unser family run at Indy seems to be over. One of my daughters knew Al Unser III in school and he began a racing career, but that seems to have ended some time ago. I doubt if one family will ever equal the Unser's nine wins at Indy.

As far as the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is concerned, I think Louis Unser won nine of them, Bobby won ten, Al Sr, two, Al Jr. one and Bobby's son, Robby, won four, I believe. Unser is German for the possessive pronoun "our", so they could justifiably refer to Pikes Peak as "Unser Berg" (our mountain)

You might be interested to know, if you already didn't, that Nobuhiro Tajima won in 1995 and from 2006 through 2011. That puts him in the same league with the Unsers at Pikes Peak. :thumb:

P.S. Some of the PP Hill Climb cars are on display at the museum.
          Last edited by samparnell; 08-27-2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            Right. Discussing the Unsers usually leads to mention of Al Jr's substance abuse problems. His uncle, Bobby, also had the snowmobile incident that resulted in Federal charges. Some of the Unsers have been ticketed for speeding in the ABQ area at one time or another. They can be viewed as a wild group at times.

The Unser family run at Indy seems to be over. One of my daughters knew Al Unser III in school and he began a racing career, but that seems to have ended some time ago. I doubt if one family will ever equal the Unser's nine wins at Indy.
            I think you're right. That's impressive and would be very hard to beat.

As far as the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is concerned, I think Louis Unser won nine of them, Bobby won ten, Al Sr, two, Al Jr. one and Bobby's son, Robby, won four, I believe. Unser is German for the possessive pronoun "our", so they could justifiably refer to Pikes Peak as "Unser Berg" (our mountain)

You might be interested to know, if you already didn't, that Nobuhiro Tajima won in 1995 and from 2006 through 2011. That puts him in the same league with the Unsers at Pikes Peak. :thumb:

P.S. Some of the PP Hill Climb cars are on display at the museum.
            I did not know that. I'll have to see if I can find something on YouTube.

Today's race was not a good one for Andretti Autosport. 3 cars out before the first turn.
            Administrator
            sigpic

#LupusAwareness

Comment

I think you're right. That's impressive and would be very hard to beat.

I did not know that. I'll have to see if I can find something on YouTube.

Today's race was not a good one for Andretti Autosport. 3 cars out before the first turn.
              That was ridiculous. Two rookies, Askew and Palou, were penalized. I think Alexander Rossi has pretty much written off 2020 as one of consistent bad luck.

Comment

Working...
              X