Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chidoze View Post
    Considering he stuck with Bellhorn in the '04 playoffs, when he was hitting like a 4 year old.......I'll go ahead and say he's sticking with them as well.

His theory is, "Dont go away from what got you here." What got them there isnt what theyve got now so WTH Terry?
    I dont think JD Nancy Drew and Crisp got them there

Ellsbury in 33 games had 3 HR and 18 RBI 353 AVG with 9 stolen bases
    Drew 140 games 11 HR 64 RBi and 270 AVG
    Crips 145 games 6 HR 60 RBI and a 268 AVG and 28 stolen bases

Terry if not for Ellsbury when Manny got hurt then you do not even make the playoffs.
    NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chidoze View Post
      That's why the series is likely over.....sadly. The Indians are that good, in a way I'm not surprised they lead the series, but I am surprised at how they've done it.

Even if Beckett somehow manages a repeat of game 1, what about the other starting pitchers?

Schill? Dice-K? Wakefield? All gave up a lot of runs the first go around, so why would the second be any different?

I know, I know.......they came back from being down 0-3 against the Yankees in '04 right? WRONG! Different team, different year, and different opponent this time. What they did to the Yanks was incredible, but that was then and this is now.

Im still gonna root for the Sox to win it all, but the reality could be, and likely is, that they wont.
      As Yankees fans found out the hard way, Cleveland's pen and offense are vastly under rated. I didn't blame the manager or bugs... the Indians deserved to win, as they do in this series. I appreciate the fact that you credit the Indians.
      My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• Originally posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
        @ Reggie being Reggie

My dad always talked about the time Martin pulled Reggie for loafing out there. He said most managers wouldn't have done that and he was proud of Billy.
        Give your dad 5 for me. Hell... give him $50. Don't ask why, I'm your elder... respect your elders!! He'll appreciate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
          As Yankees fans found out the hard way, Cleveland's pen and offense are vastly under rated. I didn't blame the manager or bugs... the Indians deserved to win, as they do in this series. I appreciate the fact that you credit the Indians.
          I agree KB the Indians are very very good

If/when they win they are going to beat the Rockies

yes i will get flamed but the AL is so much better than the NL

come on the Philles and D Backs are not even in the same league
          as the Yanks, Sox, Indians and California IMO
          NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

I understand your issues with greed. I'm reading a book about the Yankees from 1949-1963 and it's stunning to read about Yogi Berra getting a $500 signing bonus in his first deal with the Yankees. Not $500,000 .... not $50,000 .... not $5,000. $500. His monthly salary in the 1st deal: $70. He sent everything he earned back home to his parents and his mom would send him back $5 or $10. I remember my grandpa being furious that Reggie Jackson made $1 mil. per season (even though that was reported incorrectly... he made approximately $600,000 per season in his first stint with the Yankees.

A-Rod.... I love the guy's hustle and talent. I wish he weren't his own harshest critic, but it's hard for me to blast a guy for wanting to succeed so desperately that he has difficulty relaxing and just playing. His work ethic is second to none... generally the first Yankee to arrive each day and works hard at everything....reported early to spring training with his offseason workout partner/former high school teammate Doug Mientkiewicz. I loathe the league-wide greed (especially Boras clients like Nancy Drew and, if he opts out, A-Rod --I can't pretend 99% of the players aren't greedy, though, so I won't hate over the issue).

I loathe showboating, regardless of the sport. Save it for pro wrestling. Game-winning shots are one thing, but to showboat in a loss is something A-Rod would never do. He wouldn't showboat to begin with, of course. I also loathe lack of effort. Billy Martin rightfully pulled Reggie for half-a$$ing ... I still applaud Martin for doing so. I could never bring myself to say... "Aww... that's just Reggie being Reggie". I don't view such things as likable traits, nor do I understand why PCE and Bailey do.

Interestingly enough, Bailey got upset at me for quoting PCE's gripe that Manny quit on the team in consecutive Septembers. I Guess PCE finds it admirable now or he's forgotten...........
            With the numbers Manny is putting up in these playoffs, I couldn't care less how he acts. That's why baseball purists annoy me. They want everyone to be classy all the time. As long as players are performing, I couldn't care less how much class they have as long as they aren't hurting their team. And the things Manny does don't hurt his team at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
              With the numbers Manny is putting up in these playoffs, I couldn't care less how he acts. That's why baseball purists annoy me. They want everyone to be classy all the time. As long as players are performing, I couldn't care less how much class they have as long as they aren't hurting their team. And the things Manny does don't hurt his team at all.

I hate showboating, specifically in losses. Baseball. Football. Basketball.

A-Rod performed this season and, as is the case with all 1st ballot HOF'ers, has done so for a long time. He hasn't hurt his team, be it the Yankees, Rangers, or Mariners. If it's all about numbers, what's your issue with him? No one matches his numbers.... not even Manny.

Comment

I hate showboating, specifically in losses. Baseball. Football. Basketball.

A-Rod performed this season and, as is the case with all 1st ballot HOF'ers, has done so for a long time. He hasn't hurt his team, be it the Yankees, Rangers, or Mariners. If it's all about numbers, what's your issue with him? No one matches his numbers.... not even Manny.
                I don't really have much of an issue with how A-Rod. I was just bringing him up to make a point that the player you defend has less class than Manny IMO. I also criticize him because he is a Yankee! If he came to Boston and pulled some of the stunts he pulled, I wouldn't really care as long as he was helping us win. Now if he pulled his annual playoff choke job, I would criticize him just as I do any other player for the Sox that under-performs.
                Last edited by BaileyTheBest; 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Funny you should say he doesn't hurt his team.

Today I heard a bunch of different analysts and radio shows criticizing the hell out of Manny.

They wouldn't want him on their team, they think he's a joke, and they think he disgraces the Sox.

The fact that he's showboating when LOSING 7-3 is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life.

WooHoo!!!!!!!!! We're down by 4 and are close to elimination!
                  Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                    Funny you should say he doesn't hurt his team.

Today I heard a bunch of different analysts and radio shows criticizing the hell out of Manny.

They wouldn't want him on their team, they think he's a joke, and they think he disgraces the Sox.

The fact that he's showboating when LOSING 7-3 is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life.

WooHoo!!!!!!!!! We're down by 4 and are close to elimination!
                    So how did his actions hinder the Sox's chances of winning?

I don't care what a bunch of radio guys say. They are just random people with an opinion. Just like you and me. If people think he disgraces the Sox I don't care. All I care about is that he is a damn good baseball player that helps the Red Sox win ballgames.

Comment

I don't really have much of an issue with how A-Rod. I was just bringing him up to make a point that the player you defend has less class than Manny IMO. I also criticize him because he is a Yankee! If he came to Boston and pulled some of the stunts he pulled, I wouldn't really care as long as he was helping us win. Now if he pulled his annual playoff choke job, I would criticize him just as I do any other player for the Sox that under-performs.

I guess that's my entire point. Manny's stunt did not help the red sox win last night. I'm sorry, I just don't understand showboating in a loss.

Hypothetically, let's say the Broncos managed a 2nd half TD in their last game. I would not be OK with an end zone dance in that situation.

This isn't a red sox thing. If a Yankee, Bronco, or Wolverine did it, I'd come unglued.

Comment

So how did his actions hinder the Sox's chances of winning?

I don't care what a bunch of radio guys say. They are just random people with an opinion. Just like you and me. If people think he disgraces the Sox I don't care. All I care about is that he is a damn good baseball player that helps the Red Sox win ballgames.
                        The red sox chance of winning depended on them having a lead and maintaining it. Neither came close to happening.

I think what your missing is that, had Manny done something to contribute to a win, nothing would be said. He did nothing to give boston a lead or even just tie the game. There is nothing to celebrate about trailing by 4 runs. There is nothing to celebrate about losing.

I was miserable about losing to Cleveland. Your posts blasting your manager don't indicate you are happy about losing..... yet it's OK for Manny to celebrate a loss? I don't get it.
                        Last edited by keithbishop; 10-17-2007, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I guess that's my entire point. Manny's stunt did not help the red sox win last night. I'm sorry, I just don't understand showboating in a loss.

Hypothetically, let's say the Broncos managed a 2nd half TD in their last game. I would not be OK with an end zone dance in that situation.

This isn't a red sox thing. If a Yankee, Bronco, or Wolverine did it, I'd come unglued.
                          But it didn't cause them to lose either. That's my point.

Did Manny look stupid celebrating his HR? Yes, but it didn't hurt the Sox's chances of winning one bit and had he not celebrated, it still wouldn't have made their chances of winning any better.

Comment

• Your a Michigan fan KB?

And I have no problem with showboating. Manny just cracks me up. For some reason I get a kick out of that kind of behavior.

But did anyone hear Manny today?

I heard the end of it.

But he said something like " If they lose to the Indians its not the end of the world and theres always next year"

Something like that I think.

Comment

But it didn't cause them to lose either. That's my point.

Did Manny look stupid celebrating his HR? Yes, but it didn't hurt the Sox's chances of winning one bit and had he not celebrated, it still wouldn't have made their chances of winning any better.
                              I guess I view the players responsible for wins and losses meaning I expect our hitters and pitchers AS A TEAM to outplay the opposition. I am upset with the TEAM for losing... the team from top to bottom....from Damon to Mientkiewicz. Certain ones deserve a pass as long as you score nearly half the runs of the opposition? I don't understand that line of thought.

What "chances of winning"? The game wasn't close from the bottom of the 5th on. 3 runs do not erase a 7 run deficit.....not even close. If the goal is to win, you don't celebrate a 4-run deficit 2/3 of the way through a playoff game vs. a tough and motivated opponent on their home turf. What was the result of the celebration? Did his teammates rally around him and storm back for a dramatic comeback or did they get shut down? The celebration led to...... nothing. Not so much as a threat of scoring again. It wasn't a close game. Again, why celebrate losing by a significant margin? Why celebrate losing to begin with?

A-Rod hit a HR in our game 4 loss to Cleveland.... does this mean he gets a pass for the playoff series loss? Losses are OK if you hit a HR?

Damon had strong playoff numbers. We lost. Should he have celebrated? I thought wins were the goal.

I'll admit that this wasn't Manny's worst act of celebration. A sign he once held up makes it impossible for me to understand how rsn fans can put "Manny" and "class" or "likable" in the same sentence. Everything he does is condoned. I don't get it.... never did.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
                                Your a Michigan fan KB?

And I have no problem with showboating. Manny just cracks me up. For some reason I get a kick out of that kind of behavior.

But did anyone hear Manny today?

I heard the end of it.

But he said something like " If they lose to the Indians its not the end of the world and theres always next year"

Something like that I think.
                                Yes....Wolverines football fan for ages. Have to go back quite a ways for my favorite Wolverine: WR Anthony Carter.

Don't get me wrong, as someone who loathes the red sox, I find Manny's escapades funny in a sickening way. I'd be screaming at the TV if one of our guys did that, though. I want THE OTHER TEAM to do stupid things, not mine. I'm goofy that way.

Yeah, I saw his interview. Can't picture Jeter or even the hated and loathed (until he becomes a free agent, then we want him on our team and we'll love him !!! ) A-Rod saying something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X