X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096549

oh yes!

Comment

• Congrats to Kevin Youkilis on his first career Gold Glove!

Comment

• Originally posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
        Congrats to Kevin Youkilis on his first career Gold Glove!
        Also to Dustin Pedroia for his American League Rookie of the Year.

Hopefully Josh Beckett will also get the AL Cy Young - which I predicted he would win in the Spring yet was criticized and mocked by Yankee fans.

Mein angenommenes Yankee ist Johnny Damon

Comment

• Well Sabathia won the Cy Young over Beckett.

Oh well, CC can have his Cy-Young. I'm sure Beckett would rather have the ring!

Comment

Well Sabathia won the Cy Young over Beckett.

Oh well, CC can have his Cy-Young. I'm sure Beckett would rather have the ring!
            Sabathia beat out Beckett because he pitched 40 more innings, had more SO's and a better SO to walk ratio.

That's fine with me. Sabathia may have pitched more innings but he looked very tired in the playoffs and it cost his team a trip to the WS where they would have beaten the Rockies.

I'll take the ALCS MVP and WS Ring for Beckett any day.

Comment

• Bumpage for the greatest baseball team ever!

Comment

Bumpage for the greatest baseball team ever!
                That's sweet of you, Bailey. Your respect for the Yankees and their 26 titles is touching.
                My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• Another bumpage for the greatest MLB team!! Your Boston Red Sox!!

A team in which classy players like Mike Lowell leave 15 million on the table and sign here because they love the team, the city and the fans!!!

Way to go Mike!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PatsCrowEater View Post
                    Another bumpage for the greatest MLB team!! Your Boston Red Sox!!

A team in which classy players like Mike Lowell leave 15 million on the table and sign here because they love the team, the city and the fans!!!

Way to go Mike!!!
                    Yes, that move made me respect Mike even more! True class act.

It's easy to just go after the money, *cough* Johnny Damon *cough*, but Mike Lowell proved that he plays for the fans, the city, and the love of the game. It's nice when a pro athlete realizes that they have plenty of money and there is no point in going for millions more to play somewhere else when you are already a multimillionaire.

Comment

Yes, that move made me respect Mike even more! True class act.

It's easy to just go after the money, *cough* Johnny Damon *cough*, but Mike Lowell proved that he plays for the fans, the city, and the love of the game. It's nice when a pro athlete realizes that they have plenty of money and there is no point in going for millions more to play somewhere else when you are already a multimillionaire.

Bull.

What

A

Pack

Of

Lies.

In case you need a refresher course:

1. The red sox refused to negotiate with Damon during the season, claiming club policy forbid them to do so.
                      2. Damon announced the red sox would lose any discount if allowed to hit free agency.
                      3. The red sox started trade talks for Damon's replacement.... Coco Crisp ended up being their choice over Seattle's Jeremy Reed.
                      4. Damon was offered 3 years $30 mil. by the red sox.
                      5. The Yankees offered 4 years $52 mil.
                      6. The red sox offered 4 years $40 mil.
                      7. The red sox rejected Damon's offer to split the difference between the offers at $11.5 mil. per season. Johnn Henry didn't believe "rumors" that the Yankees had made a serious offer, despite the fact that Damon called Francona to assure him it wasn't merely a rumor.
                      8. Damon was informed that the sox couldn't afford (HA!! ) $11.5 mil. per season.
                      9. Damon turned 32 a month before negotiations (keep this in mind.... BIG factor in length of contract)
                      10. The red sox extended the contracts of Ortiz, Beckett, and Crisp during the 2006 regular season, despite the "club policy" that forbid them to re-sign Damon during the 2005 season.

The red sox signed Lowell to a 3 year $37.5 mil. deal. (that isn't millions ????? Give me a break, Bailey)

1. Better deal than they offered Damon.
                      2. More per year than Damon asked for.
                      3. Lowell is 33 and turns 34 in February. Yes, a 4 year deal to someone who turned 32 in November is on par with a 3 year deal for someone who turns 34 in February.

Love of the game, my a$s. The red sox made Lowell a superior offer. Had they offered Lowell 3 years/$30 mil, I would have also considered it a lowball offer, but less so than with Damon, who is younger. The red sox certainly didn't add insult to a lowball offer by trying to trade for a replacement.

Damon busted his as# for the red sox, just like he did for the A's, Royals, and Yankees. There's no way boston would have won a 2004 title without him, yet you talk smack. I never badmouthed Damon as a member of the red sox because of the tremendous amount of respect I had for him dating back to his rookie season with the Royals. Not only did I not badmouth him, but I gave him a tremendous amount of respect..... his talent is impressive, but pales in comparison to his effort and hustle.... I LOVE seeing the game played like that..... Jeter plays the game the same way. Sorry about that.... I've been a Damon fan for his entire career, not just his length of time with the Yankees (it would suit you better if I were a Damon bandwagoner) . Never did he give less than 100% effort with the red sox and it's sad to see how little that matters to you. I have never badmouthed a strong contributor to a Yankees title. Hell, I give Yankees that DIDN'T contribute to titles a lot more respect than you give Damon. Talk about not moving on.... Damon will soon enter his 3rd season in pinstripes.

Comment

• Ok you win!

I'm not up for an argument today. But if PCE wants to argue it I'll happily read along!

Comment

Ok you win!

I'm not up for an argument today. But if PCE wants to argue it I'll happily read along!
                          The truth of the matter is that the Yankees blew negotiations with Pettitte just like the sox did with Damon. Knowing the full story, I never even considered badmouthing Pettitte. Both cases were about how the player was treated, not about $$..... and I do have to credit the red sox for learning their lesson: every comment from sox management concerning Lowell stated that they wanted him to return. They didn't start trade talks for a replacement (which infuriated Damon --he hit the issue during his press conference to announce his Yankees contract "The red sox are now free to trade for one of the CF they really wanted" ).

Despite Pettitte's contributions to the Yankees, the team refused to negotiate with him during the 2003 season. The Yankees made a half-hearted offer to Pettitte. As the Yankees rolled out the red carpet for Gary Sheffield, Astros owner Drayton McClane did the same for Pettitte. Just as Jeter, Giambi (Damon's best friend when they played for the A's), Posada, Torre and co. courted Damon while sox players and management did nothing, Astros players and coaches went all out for Pettitte as Steinbrenner fixated on Sheffield.

In the end, the Yankees topped the Astros offer, but it was too late, he had already decided to leave.

It's easy to blame the player.... and it's even easier to say it's all about the $$. It's just not true when the team doesn't go out of their way to keep one of their own. A little hard work from the Yankees/red sox would have kept Pettitte/Damon from leaving. I held a grudge against Steinbrenner until Pettitte returned last season. The Yankees are just as prone to blow negotiations as the red sox.

Leave it to me to be one of those hardcore Yankees fans that checks several sites repeatedly on a daily basis for news. My main Yankees site had a record number of posts during the Damon negotiations. Several of us got very little sleep as we read article after article on the subject. Safe to say that I missed very little of what went on, including what I thought was the bombshell..... according to Damon's wife, Manny advised him to accept the Yankees offer. Not widely reported in rsn, but I was stunned.

Comment

Ok you win!

There's no need to argue anything. The fact is The Yankees overpaid for Damon and the Red Sox knew he wasn't worth that much money or the length of contract.

Theo appears to be right on the money with his assesment. Damon is no longer a centerfielder and has made Yankee Mgt. severely jumble their outfield and DH spot to accomodate him in LF.

I wouldn't be surprised if Damon loses his LF job in '08 either.

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
                              The truth of the matter is that the Yankees blew negotiations with Pettitte just like the sox did with Damon. Knowing the full story, I never even considered badmouthing Pettitte. Both cases were about how the player was treated, not about $$..... and I do have to credit the red sox for learning their lesson: every comment from sox management concerning Lowell stated that they wanted him to return. They didn't start trade talks for a replacement (which infuriated Damon --he hit the issue during his press conference to announce his Yankees contract "The red sox are now free to trade for one of the CF they really wanted" ).

Despite Pettitte's contributions to the Yankees, the team refused to negotiate with him during the 2003 season. The Yankees made a half-hearted offer to Pettitte. As the Yankees rolled out the red carpet for Gary Sheffield, Astros owner Drayton McClane did the same for Pettitte. Just as Jeter, Giambi (Damon's best friend when they played for the A's), Posada, Torre and co. courted Damon while sox players and management did nothing, Astros players and coaches went all out for Pettitte as Steinbrenner fixated on Sheffield.

In the end, the Yankees topped the Astros offer, but it was too late, he had already decided to leave.

It's easy to blame the player.... and it's even easier to say it's all about the $$. It's just not true when the team doesn't go out of their way to keep one of their own. A little hard work from the Yankees/red sox would have kept Pettitte/Damon from leaving. I held a grudge against Steinbrenner until Pettitte returned last season. The Yankees are just as prone to blow negotiations as the red sox.

Leave it to me to be one of those hardcore Yankees fans that checks several sites repeatedly on a daily basis for news. My main Yankees site had a record number of posts during the Damon negotiations. Several of us got very little sleep as we read article after article on the subject. Safe to say that I missed very little of what went on, including what I thought was the bombshell..... according to Damon's wife, Manny advised him to accept the Yankees offer. Not widely reported in rsn, but I was stunned.
                              Dammit KB I said you win! No need to keep pounding it in!

As for that last sentence, come on man, when have you ever taken anything Manny has said seriously?

Comment

• Originally posted by PatsCrowEater View Post
                                There's no need to argue anything. The fact is The Yankees overpaid for Damon and the Red Sox knew he wasn't worth that much money or the length of contract.

Theo appears to be right on the money with his assesment. Damon is no longer a centerfielder and has made Yankee Mgt. severely jumble their outfield and DH spot to accomodate him in LF.

I wouldn't be surprised if Damon loses his LF job in '08 either.
                                Funny, dude, but inaccurate. I like the overpaid bit, especially after Nancy's contract. Sure, Damon is the better player, makes less per year, and has a shorter deal, but he's the one that's overpaid. Cute, PCE.

I'm sure you were aware of this, but Matsui had to put huge ice bags on both knees after every game last season and Damon did a fantastic job in LF (just as he did in KC when he moved to accommodate Beltran). Follow me closely on this one....... just as Melky's arm represents an upgrade in CF defense, Damon's range represents an upgrade in LF over Matsui. If you were wondering, yes, LF in Yankee stadium is one of the more difficult LFs in the league. You are aware that Melky Cabrera isn't merely a fantastic CF, but is 11 years younger than Damon, making him the best choice for CF (duh). I wouldn't be surprised if you knew nothing about the entire situation.

So, pilgrim......

1. Improved CF defense -- check
                                2. Improved LF defense --check
                                3. Keeps Matsui healthier by giving him most of the starts at DH -- check
                                4. Got Giambi's NOTHING offense on the bench --check (you missed it, but Giambi lost his starting job)

Did you know Matsui just had knee surgery? I don't think it will give him Damon's speed. Would you care to venture a guess? Damon is the Yankees LF, but will play some DH and CF. Yep, versatility. That's a positive, not a negative.

Comment

Working...
                                X