Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
    Where did I defend him? We are just barely into spring training and you're already putting words in my mouth. You're in mid-season form already!

I never defended him though, I merely said that it's wrong to judge someone when you have no idea what the facts are. Of course you bash Manny for any and everything. He could save a child from a burning building and you would accuse him of starting the fire.

Your assumption is incorrect. As I already explained, the only thing that upsets me about the story is that he failed to visit the wounded soldiers. Same applies to Tavarez. David Ortiz, Josh Beckett, Curt Schilling, Coco Crisp, and co. went.... and I applaud them for their efforts. That is the kind of story that makes me blind to uniform. Any athlete that visits soldiers gets a star in my book. I applaud Manny for visiting wounded soldiers in 2005 and am furious he didn't do so this year. Just calling it right down the middle, yet you assume this has something to do with anyone other than the soldiers. It doesn't.

I find it sad that you can make 2 posts on the subject without even mentioning the wounded soldiers. I don't care if Manny didn't want to go to the White House.... none of my concern. Passing on a visit to wounded soldiers is a completely different matter. Why on earth should Manny be put first and given the benefit of the doubt? I wouldn't give a pass to any member of the Yankees/Broncos for skipping that kind of visit. Look at the example Jason Elam sets. There's no way in hell he'd skip a visit, nor would most pro athletes. I wouldn't look for excuses for the offending player.... I'd be furious. There must be something wrong with me for thinking that way.

red sox = blameless
    Yankees = Evil
    Wounded soldiers don't get mentioned.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• Correction: Manny skipped the visit in 2005 as well.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...et_the_pr.html

I apologize for giving him credit for visiting the wounded soldiers in 2005. I assumed that he was good enough to do so, and, as Bailey pointed out, I shouldn't make assumptions... even a positive assumption about Manny... without knowing the facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
        Your assumption is incorrect. As I already explained, the only thing that upsets me about the story is that he failed to visit the wounded soldiers. Same applies to Tavarez. David Ortiz, Josh Beckett, Curt Schilling, Coco Crisp, and co. went.... and I applaud them for their efforts. That is the kind of story that makes me blind to uniform. Any athlete that visits soldiers gets a star in my book. I applaud Manny for visiting wounded soldiers in 2005 and am furious he didn't do so this year. Just calling it right down the middle, yet you assume this has something to do with anyone other than the soldiers. It doesn't.

I find it sad that you can make 2 posts on the subject without even mentioning the wounded soldiers. I don't care if Manny didn't want to go to the White House.... none of my concern. Passing on a visit to wounded soldiers is a completely different matter. Why on earth should Manny be put first and given the benefit of the doubt? I wouldn't give a pass to any member of the Yankees/Broncos for skipping that kind of visit. Look at the example Jason Elam sets. There's no way in hell he'd skip a visit, nor would most pro athletes. I wouldn't look for excuses for the offending player.... I'd be furious. There must be something wrong with me for thinking that way.

red sox = blameless
        Yankees = Evil
        Wounded soldiers don't get mentioned.
        I do strongly applaud the Sox players who went to visit the soldiers. I figured that went without saying. And like I said, I'm not going judge Manny positively or negatively on this issue until I know why he wasn't there. There are a plethora of reasons he could have missed it and it's unfair to judge him unless details of why he didn't go come out. I have a feeling, though, had this been some bench guy who never played that didn't make the trip you wouldn't have even mentioned it but when it comes to Manny, you never miss a chance to take a shot at him.

Comment

I do strongly applaud the Sox players who went to visit the soldiers. I figured that went without saying. And like I said, I'm not going judge Manny positively or negatively on this issue until I know why he wasn't there. There are a plethora of reasons he could have missed it and it's unfair to judge him unless details of why he didn't go come out. I have a feeling, though, had this been some bench guy who never played that didn't make the trip you wouldn't have even mentioned it but when it comes to Manny, you never miss a chance to take a shot at him.

Absolutely not. "Same applies to Tavarez" means .... well ..... same applies to Tavarez. I thought that was made clear enough. I'm infuriated by his no show as well. Rumor is that Devern Hansack also skipped the visit. I've only seen this mentioned on a message board and don't know if it is true, so he doesn't need to be viewed in the same light as Tavarez and Ramirez. If true, then the same would apply to Hansack.

Does your opinion remain the same after learning that Manny also skipped the visit in 2005? It appears that you never miss a chance to make excuses for him. Are there a plethora of reasons he could have missed twice? I don't buy it.

I've tried to make it clear that I wouldn't have mentioned this had the players skipped the White House visit and met their teammates at the hospital. I care about the soldiers, not a player's political stance. There is no way I'd give a Yankees player a pass for doing the same thing. I admire Ortiz, Varitek, and co. for making the visit. To hell with the players.... accommodations should be made for the wounded soldiers. These events aren't planned at the last second.

By the way, Theo Epstein was also rumored to have skipped the visit.... for political reasons. I haven't seen this confirmed other than by red sox fans on a message board, but if so, not visiting the soldiers for political reasons is damned near treason in my book. Skip the White House, but visit the soldiers!
          Last edited by keithbishop; 03-01-2008, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Manny was too busy meditating to visit the wounded soldiers

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...sox&position=3

Manny being mystical

FORT MYERS - Manny Ramirez [stats] was meditating on Wednesday when President Bush noted his absence at the White House, so no, he was not listening as Bush made a quip about the possible death of another grandmother and mentioned what a “bad man” Ramirez is at the plate.

Word did reach him, though, and he is at peace - with both Bush and himself, it appears.

“I feel good, it made me feel important - the president is thinking about me,” said Ramirez with a deep laugh before last night’s game against the Twins at Hammond Stadium. “I like it. It makes me feel important to be mentioned.”

However, hearing the president in person was not as important to Ramirez as maintaining his relatively new interest in a form of meditation called Mantra Yoga.

It is his new passion for his down time, and he had some of that on Wednesday. So when asked if he needed a presidential remark to feel important, he said he did not.

“I was doing meditation in my house, so I feel more important,” Ramirez said. “That’s what I do now. In my time off, I read books and I meditate. That’s what I do.”

************************************************** ***********************

There is your excuse, Bailey. Acceptable? I find it disgusting. I salute the red sox members who weren't too busy meditating that day.

Comment

• Well KB I'm sure you're perfect and have never done anything nearly as bad as all the reprehensible things Manny has done. Congratulations on being perfect. I salute you!

In fact, I'm so proud of you for being a prefect human being, I'm going to start treating you with the respect you deserve. Instead of calling you KB, I will henceforth refer to you as "Mr. Perfect".

Comment

Well KB I'm sure you're perfect and have never done anything nearly as bad as all the reprehensible things Manny has done. Congratulations on being perfect. I salute you!

In fact, I'm so proud of you for being a prefect human being, I'm going to start treating you with the respect you deserve. Instead of calling you KB, I will henceforth refer to you as "Mr. Perfect".
                Way to go. I'll call you "Spin Doctor". You are incapable of criticizing a member of the red sox. You didn't even comment on Manny's excuse, preferring to lob criticism at me. Didn't you notice I didn't accuse you of claiming perfection when you criticized members of the Yankees organization? Weak. I didn't think you'd go that far to cover for Manny. Manny is a future HOFer... likely 1st ballot, but, unless he is perfect, he shouldn't get a pass on this issue, nor should Tavarez, who you have yet to comment on.

I'm nowhere near perfect, nor are David Ortiz, Curt Schilling, Jason Varitek, JD Drew and co., who attended. Jason Elam's visits to Iraq don't make him perfect, either. I respect those who attend and don't respect those who chose not to.
                Last edited by keithbishop; 03-01-2008, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Way to go. I'll call you "Spin Doctor". You are incapable of criticizing a member of the red sox. You didn't even comment on Manny's excuse, preferring to lob criticism at me. Didn't you notice I didn't accuse you of claiming perfection when you criticized members of the Yankees organization? Weak. I didn't think you'd go that far to cover for Manny.

I'm nowhere near perfect, nor are David Ortiz, Curt Schilling, Jason Varitek, JD Drew and co., who attended. Jason Elam's visits to Iraq don't make him perfect, either. I respect those who attend and don't respect those who chose not to.
                  Mr. Perfect, how many times do I have to tell you that I couldn't care less what professional athletes do with their personal lives? I never have and never will meet any of them and none of them are my friends so why should I give a flying flip what they do with their own time? They are all grown men and if they want to march to the beat of their own drum, more power to them! Other than getting in trouble with the law, they can do as they please IMO. As long as they preform well on the field and help the team, that's pretty much all I care about them. I watch sports for fun and I want to see my favorite teams and players do well on the field. What they do on their own time is none of my business and I don't concern myself with it.

Comment

Mr. Perfect, how many times do I have to tell you that I couldn't care less what professional athletes do with their personal lives? I never have and never will meet any of them and none of them are my friends so why should I give a flying flip what they do with their own time? They are all grown men and if they want to march to the beat of their own drum, more power to them! Other than getting in trouble with the law, they can do as they please IMO. As long as they preform well on the field and help the team, that's pretty much all I care about them. I watch sports for fun and I want to see my favorite teams and players do well on the field. What they do on their own time is none of my business and I don't concern myself with it.

Fine, Spin Doctor. Manny gets a pass. What on earth would make me think otherwise?

Comment

• Pathetic on Manny's part. Plain old pathetic.

You may not agree with what the presidency does, or you may want to do something for yourself, but it is low when you don't visit wounded soldiers that allow you to have such freedoms as openly disliking the government or freedom to do pretty much whatever you want.

and BTB, you are TOTALLY spinning this on KB. Nobody here may be perfect, but you can be damn sure he would be visiting the troops had he the opportunity.

Not to mention, if you don't care what the baseball players do with their free time, then you shouldn't care if the Sox do anything good for the community, lest you look like a hipocrite.

Comment

• Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                        Pathetic on Manny's part. Plain old pathetic.

You may not agree with what the presidency does, or you may want to do something for yourself, but it is low when you don't visit wounded soldiers that allow you to have such freedoms as openly disliking the government or freedom to do pretty much whatever you want.

and BTB, you are TOTALLY spinning this on KB. Nobody here may be perfect, but you can be damn sure he would be visiting the troops had he the opportunity.

Not to mention, if you don't care what the baseball players do with their free time, then you shouldn't care if the Sox do anything good for the community, lest you look like a hipocrite.
                        I've never cared to much if players help their communities or not. If they do great, if not, that's their choice. They don't play pro sports to help their community. They play pro sports to play pro sports. How can you call me a hypocrite when I have never even mentioned things the Red Sox do for the community? Unless you can find a post of mine stating otherwise, that's an unfair charge to level against me. Have I done things for my community, sure I have, but I have no problem with those who haven't. But if a player wants to give back for their community, good for them, but I won't think any less of him if he doesn't. I swear, some of you dissect pro athletes' lives like they are running for President of the United States.

Comment

Fine, Spin Doctor. Manny gets a pass. What on earth would make me think otherwise?
                          Guess what, it's not just Manny. If the Yankees win the World Series and one of their players doesn't visit the veterans with them, you know how much I will care? Not one bit. Unless Manny (or any other pro athlete in any sport for that matter) does something off the field that hurts his team, he is free to do what he pleases and it concerns me none.

Comment

I've never cared to much if players help their communities or not. If they do great, if not, that's their choice. They don't play pro sports to help their community. They play pro sports to play pro sports. How can you call me a hypocrite when I have never even mentioned things the Red Sox do for the community? Unless you can find a post of mine stating otherwise, that's an unfair charge to level against me. Have I done things for my community, sure I have, but I have no problem with those who haven't. But if a player wants to give back for their community, good for them, but I won't think any less of him if he doesn't. I swear, some of you dissect pro athletes' lives like they are running for President of the United States.
                            I never flat out called you a hipocrite. I said if you DID praise them for off field acts, then you could be considered one. Kind of a warning to your stance rather than name-calling.

Pro-athletes also have an image to uphold. Kids look up to athletes a hell of a lot more than the president and will try to emulate them at a much higher rate than any person involved in government. Why? Because it is a game that is fun to watch, thus exposing them to the athletes, and they live the life of glamour, like movie or music stars. That is why when an athlete commits a crime it is on a bigger stage than normal people. That is why when an athlete donates money to a charity it gets more publicity than someone who dedicated their life to a charitable foundation. And that is why when an athlete does something in poor taste it is frowned upon.

But quite honestly you defend your Sox with such blinders on it is amazing you can find the keyboard.

Comment

• Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                              I never flat out called you a hipocrite. I said if you DID praise them for off field acts, then you could be considered one. Kind of a warning to your stance rather than name-calling.

Pro-athletes also have an image to uphold. Kids look up to athletes a hell of a lot more than the president and will try to emulate them at a much higher rate than any person involved in government. Why? Because it is a game that is fun to watch, thus exposing them to the athletes, and they live the life of glamour, like movie or music stars. That is why when an athlete commits a crime it is on a bigger stage than normal people. That is why when an athlete donates money to a charity it gets more publicity than someone who dedicated their life to a charitable foundation. And that is why when an athlete does something in poor taste it is frowned upon.

But quite honestly you defend your Sox with such blinders on it is amazing you can find the keyboard.
                              Unless they did something illegal or something that hurt their team, I don't care what they do off the field. And that goes for ANY player from ANY team. You can call it Red Sox blinders all you want (it's a convenient excuse to sidestep my argument) but it's not true. As for the influence on the kids, if a kid does something stupid because a pro athlete did it, that falls on that kid's parents for not teaching them better, not the athlete.

Comment

Guess what, it's not just Manny. If the Yankees win the World Series and one of their players doesn't visit the veterans with them, you know how much I will care? Not one bit. Unless Manny (or any other pro athlete in any sport for that matter) does something off the field that hurts his team, he is free to do what he pleases and it concerns me none.

I would be furious... there is no way I'd give a member of the Yankees a pass in this situation. There are many petty off the field issues that we hear a lot about. Skipping the visit isn't petty. Of all the things a major leaguer can do, visiting wounded soldiers (especially on a scheduled team visit -- you missed this point completely....scheduled team trip..... It wasn't just a day off) should be a priority. Proud of those who visit, but you don't care about those who skip... fine. I disagree. First you said he probably had a legit reason to skip (and credited his teammates that attended!), then, once you heard the excuse, said you didn't care. Spin on, Spin Doctor.

My issue is the heroes, the soldiers. Your issue is Manny. I have the same view of Tavarez, who you don't mention, as Manny.
                                Last edited by keithbishop; 03-01-2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X