Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
    I would be furious... there is no way I'd give a member of the Yankees a pass in this situation. There are many petty off the field issues that we hear a lot about. Skipping the visit isn't petty. Of all the things a major leaguer can do, visiting wounded soldiers (especially on a scheduled team visit -- you missed this point completely....scheduled team trip..... It wasn't just a day off) should be a priority. Proud of those who visit, but you don't care about those who skip... fine. I disagree. First you said he probably had a legit reason to skip (and credited his teammates that attended!), then, once you heard the excuse, said you didn't care. Spin on, Spin Doctor.

My issue is the heroes, the soldiers. Your issue is Manny. I have the same view of Tavarez, who you don't mention, as Manny.
    I never have and never will care what a pro athlete does with his spare time off the field. If you want to call it "spin" go right ahead. And now for the second time this season you have put words in my mouth (I'm keeping count this season just for fun). I never said he had a legit reason for missing. I only said that it's unfair to rush to judgment until the facts come out. But the fact is, you criticized Manny before you knew the facts. Just because you wound up being right doesn't excuse you for rushing to judgment.

Comment

• Originally posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
      I never have and never will care what a pro athlete does with his spare time off the field. If you want to call it "spin" go right ahead. And now for the second time this season you have put words in my mouth (I'm keeping count this season just for fun). I never said he had a legit reason for missing. I only said that it's unfair to rush to judgment until the facts come out. But the fact is, you criticized Manny before you knew the facts. Just because you wound up being right doesn't excuse you for rushing to judgment.
      Yeah, I'm a regular Nostradamus for "predicting" Manny didn't have a legit reason to skip. I also "predicted" sox fans would give Manny a pass. Quoting Dizzy Dean, "Who'd a thunk it"? I'm a fricking genious with such "predictions". While I'm on a roll, I'll predict that Mike Mussina won't win the Cy Young award and David Ortiz will hit some home runs this season.
      My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

Yeah, I'm a regular Nostradamus for "predicting" Manny didn't have a legit reason to skip. I also "predicted" sox fans would give Manny a pass. Quoting Dizzy Dean, "Who'd a thunk it"? I'm a fricking genious with such "predictions". While I'm on a roll, I'll predict that Mike Mussina won't win the Cy Young award and David Ortiz will hit some home runs this season.
        You are so off base in thinking that I'm only giving Manny a pass because he is a Red Sock it's not even funny. No matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true. Reminds me of an old saying..."If you call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have? The answer is 4. Just because you call a tail a leg doesn't make it one." Seriously though, how many times do I have to tell you that I don't care what a player does off the field, whether he be a Yankee, Red Sock, or any other team. Should I type it slower? I'm not sure how I can make it any more clear for you.

Comment

You are so off base in thinking that I'm only giving Manny a pass because he is a Red Sock it's not even funny. No matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true. Reminds me of an old saying..."If you call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have? The answer is 4. Just because you call a tail a leg doesn't make it one." Seriously though, how many times do I have to tell you that I don't care what a player does off the field, whether he be a Yankee, Red Sock, or any other team. Should I type it slower? I'm not sure how I can make it any more clear for you.

Timeline reminder:

1. You said: "I do strongly applaud the Sox players who went to visit the soldiers. I figured that went without saying. And like I said, I'm not going judge Manny positively or negatively on this issue until I know why he wasn't there. There are a plethora of reasons he could have missed it and it's unfair to judge him unless details of why he didn't go come out. I have a feeling, though, had this been some bench guy who never played that didn't make the trip you wouldn't have even mentioned it but when it comes to Manny, you never miss a chance to take a shot at him."

-- I judged Julian Tavarez in exactly the same light as Manny. The same would apply to Theo Epstein and Devern Hansack for skipping the visit, but I have yet to see anything other than rumors that they skipped. My issue is with the soldiers, not Manny Ramirez.

2. I showed you why Manny wasn't there.

3. You lobbed the "Mr. Perfect" criticism at me and said you didn't care what a player did off the field.

You "strongly applaud" those who did the right thing and don't care about those that did the wrong thing. I would be outraged if a member of the Yankees pulled the same stunt. I would have applauded Manny and Tavarez just like I did their teammates (which you failed to mention) had they done the right thing.

Call that putting words in your mouth.... but remember they were your words. I was quoting you, not making up things you said. Fine by me.

I'm deeply hurt that you no longer call me Mr. Perfect, so could you please get back to it?

Comment

Timeline reminder:

1. You said: "I do strongly applaud the Sox players who went to visit the soldiers. I figured that went without saying. And like I said, I'm not going judge Manny positively or negatively on this issue until I know why he wasn't there. There are a plethora of reasons he could have missed it and it's unfair to judge him unless details of why he didn't go come out. I have a feeling, though, had this been some bench guy who never played that didn't make the trip you wouldn't have even mentioned it but when it comes to Manny, you never miss a chance to take a shot at him."

-- I judged Julian Tavarez in exactly the same light as Manny. The same would apply to Theo Epstein and Devern Hansack for skipping the visit, but I have yet to see anything other than rumors that they skipped. My issue is with the soldiers, not Manny Ramirez.

2. I showed you why Manny wasn't there.

3. You lobbed the "Mr. Perfect" criticism at me and said you didn't care what a player did off the field.

You "strongly applaud" those who did the right thing and don't care about those that did the wrong thing. I would be outraged if a member of the Yankees pulled the same stunt. I would have applauded Manny and Tavarez just like I did their teammates (which you failed to mention) had they done the right thing.

Call that putting words in your mouth.... but remember they were your words. I was quoting you, not making up things you said. Fine by me.

I'm deeply hurt that you no longer call me Mr. Perfect, so could you please get back to it?
            Ok Mr. Perfect, what is so friggin bad about me for praising someone for visiting soldiers, but not criticizing them for not visiting soldiers? If they want to, good for them and I applaud them, but I'm not going to go apesheet if they don't go. That's their choice and I respect it.

And I didn't even want to go here but this isn't even Manny's native country so why should he be obligated to visit our soldiers?

Comment

Ok Mr. Perfect, what is so friggin bad about me for praising someone for visiting soldiers, but not criticizing them for not visiting soldiers? If they want to, good for them and I applaud them, but I'm not going to go apesheet if they don't go. That's their choice and I respect it.

And I didn't even want to go here but this isn't even Manny's native country so why should he be obligated to visit our soldiers?
              Thank you. Curt Hennig would like it.

What is so bad about me for applauding those who visited and criticizing those who didn't? Seems to be calling it right down the middle, does it not?

Manny has the freedom supplied by those soldiers to earn $20 + mil. per season playing here. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Thank you. Curt Hennig would like it.

What is so bad about me for applauding those who visited and criticizing those who didn't? Seems to be calling it right down the middle, does it not?

Manny has the freedom supplied by those soldiers to earn $20 + mil. per season playing here. Thanks for asking.
                Nothing wrong with you criticizing them. I just feel differently about it. This is the point in which we can agree to disagree!

Comment

Nothing wrong with you criticizing them. I just feel differently about it. This is the point in which we can agree to disagree!
                  NO!!!!!!!!

Yes, sounds good to me.

Comment

• Bartolo Calzone, I mean Colon, threw a BP session yesterday and pitching coach John Farrell said he looked sharp and had excellent command of the strike zone.

I suspect he will be ready to help the Red Sox win another Championship by early June.

Comment

• Spring stats updated 3/6

Who is doing good for the Red Sox: Everyone. It's a great spring training for Boston.

Who is doing bad: Hank Steinbrenner for the Yanks. He's making a fool of himself.

Discuss.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Roper View Post
                        Spring stats updated 3/6

Who is doing good for the Red Sox: Everyone. It's a great spring training for Boston.

Who is doing bad: Hank Steinbrenner for the Yanks. He's making a fool of himself.

Discuss.
                        WOW

you got a future at ESPN

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco_Armada View Post
                          WOW

you got a future at ESPN

Roper is so funny when he tries to be cute. Don't tell him the games have started, but I just watched another one. Great time of year.

Comment

• Anyone waking up early in the morning to watch the Red Sox pound the A's in the morning on their way to a 3rd championship in 5 years? I know I am!

Comment

Anyone waking up early in the morning to watch the Red Sox pound the A's in the morning on their way to a 3rd championship in 5 years? I know I am!

You probably witnessed a very sloppy game then.

Dice-K didn't look good, Papelbon didn't look good.

Huston Street looked terrible, Blanton looked OK.

The only one who showed up was Manny. Figures
                              Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                                You probably witnessed a very sloppy game then.

Dice-K didn't look good, Papelbon didn't look good.

Huston Street looked terrible, Blanton looked OK.

The only one who showed up was Manny. Figures
                                For some reason ESPN2 was blacked out for me this morning. Weird since I live in Mississippi. And of course our guys didn't look good, they had to play at 6 AM for them. I heard the A's didn't look too good either. Boston will be fine once they get back in America and adjust to the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X