No announcement yet.

Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The take 2-3 in KC, next up is a road trip to Chi-town, to face Ken Griffy Jr, and the Chicago White Sox.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

• After taking two out of three in “The Paris of the Plains”, the Red Sox head to the “Second City”, to battle Ken Griffey Jr, and his new team the Chicago White Sox.

Jon Lester, LHP (10-3, 3.14)

Mr. Consistency continues to be just that Consistent. In the August 2nd start against the Athletics Lester only allow two runs in seven innings, in a 12-2 triumph over Oakland. In his last ten starts Lester has only one time failed to work less then six innings. He is 7-0 in that game span with an ERA of 2.56. This will be Lester’s first start at US Cellular Field since 2006, a game in which he gave up only two runs, in route to a Red Sox win.

Mark Buehrle, LHP (8-10, 4.07)

Buehrle’s start against the Royals, was just plain terrible. The Royals feasted on his pitching, getting eight runs on 14 hits, in just over four innings of work. Buehrle gave up two homers and only struck out one batter. Buehrle’s bread and butter for besting batters is letting the fielders so most the work for him. This cost him dearly as the Kansas City hit 10 line drives. Tonight’s game will be his first start of the season against Boston, a team in which he is 4-4 with a lifetime ERA of 4.46.

sigpic

Comment

• August 8

1914: Hall of Famer Tris “The Grey Eagle” Speaker, sets major league record for an outfielder, when he make his second unassisted double play of the season.

sigpic

Comment

• Boston AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
          Drew, RF 3 1 0 0 1 1 1 .283
          Pedroia, 2B 4 1 1 3 0 0 0 .315
          Ortiz, DH 3 0 0 0 1 2 0 .249
          Youkilis, 1B 3 0 0 0 1 2 1 .314
          Lowell, 3B 4 0 0 0 0 1 1 .270
          Bay, LF 4 0 1 0 0 2 0 .291
          Lowrie, SS 3 0 1 0 0 0 1 .288
          Varitek, C 3 1 1 0 1 0 1 .221
          Crisp, CF 3 0 1 0 0 0 3 .251
          a-Casey, PH 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .352
          Totals 31 3 5 3 4 8 9

a-Grounded out for Crisp in the 9th.

BATTING
          2B: Crisp (14, Buehrle).
          HR: Pedroia (10, 8th inning off Dotel, 2 on, 1 out).
          TB: Pedroia 4; Bay; Lowrie; Varitek; Crisp 2.
          RBI: Pedroia 3 (52).
          Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Drew; Crisp; Casey.
          GIDP: Lowrie.
          Team LOB: 6.

FIELDING
          Outfield assists: Drew (Pierzynski at 2nd base).
          Pickoffs: Lester (Uribe at 1st base).

sigpic

Comment

• Daisuke Matsuzaka, RHP (12-2, 3.04)

When we last Dice-K on the mound he was facing the Oakland A’s. In six innings worth of work he only gave up two runs on only four hits, and fanning eight, while walking only two, getting his second win of the season over the Athletics in three starts. Since returning to his spot in the rotation Matsuzaka has picked up his only two loses of the season, with an ERA of 2.38. In his only career start against the Chi Sox Dice-K is 0-1, but be positive fellow “Royal Rooters” he is 5-0 on the road this season. What make it even better he is 12-8 lifetime on the road.

Jose Contreras, RHP (7-6, 4.60)

Today should be Contreras’ return to the line up after being on the 15 day DL with tendonitis. In his rehab start against last Sunday with AAA Charlotte, Contreras pitched five solid innings giving up three runs on four hits, striking out four. Before going on the DL Contreras was inconstant at best, allowing three runs in his last seven starts. Thankfully the boys from “Beantown” have had a lot of luck against him, knocking him around for an ERA of 9.12 in 10 games.

sigpic

Comment

• This Day in Red Sox History.

August 9
              1949: Going 0-4 Dom DiMaggio steps the plate to face Yankee pitcher Vic Raschi, looking to extend his 34 game hitting streak, only to have his brother Joe make a shoe string catch in the eighth inning to rob him of a hit.

1960: In the fifth inning Ted Williams hits his 19th home run of the season, tying Mel Ott on the all-time list with #511.

1998: As the Red Sox beat the Texas Rangers 14-8, Dennis Eckersley ties Kent Tekulve for second place all-time with 1,050 appearances by a pitcher. At that time only Hall of Famer Hoyt Wilhelm had more with 1,070. Later this season Ecks will pass Wilhelm by one game, a record that was then broken by Jesse Orosco.

sigpic

Comment

• Why are we so inept in beating anyone good all of the sudden?

Comment

• Its just one game, have faith.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                    Its just one game, have faith.
                    All I did was point out a fact. We are 1-9 in our last 10 games against teams over .500. I never said I didn't faith, I'm just pointing out a disturbing trend.

Comment

• Boston AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
                      Drew, RF 2 1 0 0 3 1 0 .282
                      Pedroia, 2B 5 1 2 1 0 0 1 .316
                      Ortiz, DH 5 1 3 3 0 1 2 .256
                      Youkilis, 1B 5 0 2 0 0 2 4 .315
                      Lowell, 3B 5 0 2 0 0 1 4 .272
                      Bay, LF 5 0 0 1 0 0 4 .287
                      Lowrie, SS 5 0 1 0 0 1 3 .284
                      Ellsbury, CF 4 2 3 1 0 1 0 .271
                      Varitek, C 4 1 1 0 0 0 2 .222
                      Totals 40 6 14 6 3 7 20

BATTING
                      2B: Lowrie (8, Contreras), Ortiz (13, Logan).
                      HR: Ellsbury (7, 8th inning off Russell, 0 on, 1 out).
                      TB: Pedroia 2; Ortiz 4; Youkilis 2; Lowell 2; Lowrie 2; Ellsbury 6; Varitek.
                      RBI: Bay (71), Pedroia (53), Ortiz 3 (53), Ellsbury (33).
                      Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Varitek; Lowell; Bay; Lowrie 2.
                      GIDP: Lowell.
                      Team LOB: 10.

FIELDING
                      E: Matsuzaka (1, fielding).
                      DP: 4 (Youkilis-Lowrie-Matsuzaka, Lowrie-Pedroia-Youkilis, Pedroia-Lowrie-Youkilis 2).

sigpic

Comment

• Clay Buchholz, RHP (2-7, 5.94)

Like the Ghost of Prince Hamlet’s father in the Williams Shakespeare’s play, on innings keeps on coming back to haunt Buchholz. This time it was the bottom of the third when he permitted three runs in a 4-3 loss to the Royals. Since he was called back up from AAA Pawtucket, is 0-4 with an ERA of 6.59. It was not all bad for the young Russian, in the last three innings in the game against the Royals, he did not allow any runs, which has some in annalists thinking that he has finally turned the corner, and is becoming the pitcher he was last season. Sunday will mark the first time he has faced the White Sox.

Gavin Floyd, RHP (11-6, 3.66)

Nothing noteworthy happened in Floyd was on the mound on Tuesday to face the Tigers. Lasting just over four innings, and allowing five runs off of eight hits while walking two. Both Curtis Granderson and Placido Polanco hit home runs of Floyd in that game. That was the third time this season the Floyd before the start of the fifth inning. While he has never started against the Red Sox he did get in 3 2/3 innings worth of lest season. In which he allowed four earned runs, with two homers.

sigpic

Comment

• August 10
                          1902: Cy Young picks up his 25th win of the season as the Somersets (Red Sox) beat the White Sox 5-4 in 11 innings.
                          1903: At Huntington Avenue Grounds, Cy Young has seven no-hit innings, as the Pilgrims (Red Sox) beats the Philadelphia A’s 7-2.

1915: Starting pitcher “Babe” Ruth strikes out seven and is 2- 4 in 10 – 3 over the Browns. This is Ruth’s 10th win of the season.

1950: Walt Masterson becomes the first Sox pitcher to steal a base this season.

1960: “The Splendid Splinter” Ted Williams hits a pair of home runs and double to lead Boston to a 6-1 win over the Indians. With the first of his two homers Williams moved past Mel Ott on the all time homers list. After the game he announces that this will be his finial season.

1999: Knuckleballer Tim Wakefield ties a Major League record when he strikes out four batters in the ninth inning, becoming the only Red Sox to accomplish this. You may be asking yourself how Wakefield pulled of such a feat; he struck out the first two batters. When it came time for out number three, the batter swung for strike three at a wild pitch, and advances to first. Two batters later the four Royal is set down swinging, thus making it four strike outs in one inning.

sigpic

Comment

• Buchholz

Comment

• Josh Beckett, RHP (10-8, 4.08)

In the August 15th game against “The Boys in Blue” Beckett looked like the Beckett we all know and love, winning his first game since July 9th. He stuck out seven and only allowed four his and two runs, while striking out seven. While the right handed finesse pitcher is only 5-5 on the road, he has pitched well, with an ERA of 3.38, and holding batters to .256 averages.

John Danks, LHP (9-4, 3.21)

The Round Rock High School graduate, helped to right the White Sox Ship, as well as his own this season when he faced the Tigers on Wednesday. Danks put in a sturdy 6 2/3 giving up only one run off of four hits, and only walking one batter. It is important to note that in his previous three starts to the Tigers game Danks gave up a combined 14 earned runs. This will be the first time he will be facing the Red Sox this season, but in last season he got crushed by them twice next year, allowing nine runs in 9 1/3 innings, walking five and K’ing four.

sigpic

Comment

• August 11

1955: Facing Yankees’ pitcher Bob Turley, Ted Williams hits the 2,000 hit of his career in a 5 – 3 loss to New York.

1979: In the first inning of a game with the “Brew Crew” OF Jim Rice become only the third Red Sox Batter to hit 30 home runs in three seasons or more, in doing do he joined Hall of Famer Ted Williams (four seasons) and Jimmie Foxx (Five Seasons).

1998: A moment of silence was observed for Detective John Gibson of Waltham Massachusetts. Det. Gibson was one the police officer that was killed at the United States Capitol on July 24th. He was a life long Red Sox Fan.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X