No announcement yet.

Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to believe that it was 22 years ago today the the Bill Bucker game happened.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
      Hard to believe that it was 22 years ago today the the Bill Bucker game happened.
      I don't refer to it as the Bill Buckner game. I refer to it as the "Bob Stanley One Strike Away and Dave Stapleton Should Have Been at First Base You Bonehead McNamara!" game.

Comment

• Were you guys both Boston fans way back during the Bill Buckner game?

Comment

• Originally posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
          Were you guys both Boston fans way back during the Bill Buckner game?
          Started watching them back in '75 when I was 10.

That was when I was in the 5th grade. My 5th grade teacher was Mike Andrews' brother. Mike Andrews played for the Sox from 1966 to 1970.

Back then the World Series was played during daytime and my teacher (Mr. Andrews) would tell the principal he needed to borrow the school's TV set to watch an educational program.

Instead, the entire class watched the first few innings of the World Series between the Red Sox and Reds.

Mr. Andrews would rotate several of us to stand guard by the door in case the Principal walked by.

Those were the days.......
          Last edited by Mr. Roper; 10-25-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Roper View Post
            Started watching them back in '75 when I was 10.

That was when I was in the 5th grade. My 5th grade teacher was Mike Andrews' brother. Mike Andrews played for the Sox from 1966 to 1970.

Back then the World Series was played during daytime and my teacher (Mr. Andrews) would tell the principal he needed to borrow the school's TV set to watch an educational program.

Instead, the entire class watched the first few innings of the World Series between the Red Sox and Reds.

Mr. Andrews would rotate several of us to stand guard by the door in case the Principal walked by.

Those were the days.......
            Wow, you have me there. I was 10 years old in 1981 when I got hooked after my 1st visit to Fenway.
            My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Comment

I don't refer to it as the Bill Buckner game. I refer to it as the "Bob Stanley One Strike Away and Dave Stapleton Should Have Been at First Base You Bonehead McNamara!" game.
              Amen to that.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                We had a great year! If we had Lowell for the LCS it would not have been close. I trust in Theo. We will reload and come back with a vengence.
                there isn;t much the sox have to do

tek will be back because nobody else is gonna want him and he'll be better than he was this year....he can't possibly be any worse

lowell will be back and hopefully healthy

lowrie for a full season at ss will be nice

buchholz can't be any worse either...hopefully he finds himself and gets back to what made him one of the top pitching prospects in baseball....he's still a kid so there is no reason he won't find it

masterson wasn't with the big club until late in the season...he should be on the roster from day one next season...he'll be a big help either in the rotation or bullpen...francona says he'd like him to stay in the pen...we'll see

ortiz's issue this year was that he had knee surgery last off season which kept him from being able to keep to his off season conditioning program...so, even without his ailing wrist, he was out of shape all year...hopefully getting into his program this off season will get him back to his usual offensive numbers

jd drew...if the f--ker could stay healthy he'd be huge

ellsbury had a disappointing season to most fans but the kid still hit 280 with 98 runs scored, led the league is steals and was the first rookie in history to play as many games as he did and not commit an error....the sky is the limit with him

youk seems to have taken the next step to possible superstardom...same goes for pedroia

with no moves i love the sox for next season but if theo can get another quality starting pitcher anything less than a world championship will be a disappointment

Comment

• I like your assesment.

sigpic

Comment

• Four Years ago today the Curse was broken.

sigpic

Comment

• One year ago today we where celebrating the World Series.

sigpic

Comment

• Is it spring training yet?

sigpic

Comment

• Looks like the Red Sox will exercise their option on Wake.

Comment

Looks like the Red Sox will exercise their option on Wake.

I'm mixed on this decition. As if is the Wake of old I'm down with it, but if he is old Wake it will be a Mistake.

sigpic

Comment

• From the Boston Globe.

More insight on the Teixeira possibilities

The Globe's Nick Cafardo writes that the Sox may still have a shot at Mark Teixeira. While the Angels have made signing him their No. 1 priority and Teixeira himself would love to stay there, the problem is that the Angels' management style is to go in hard and get it done quickly, while agent Scott Boras would rather allow the market to develop and get other teams involved. For that reason, the Red Sox have a chance... Teixeira was among the players who filed for free agency on Thursday... The Globe's Tony Massarotti writes that according to a team source, the Red Sox already have had some internal discussion about free-agent-to-be Teixeira, the most desirable hitter available on the open market and a player for which the bidding will be fierce. All signs point to a spirited run at Teixeira, a switch-hitting, slugging first baseman with the excellent defensive skills, exceptional baseball acumen, and discretionary plate discipline that Sox officials so covet. The 28-year-old Teixeira is a switch-hitter with power from both sides of the plate who has averaged 35 home runs and 118 RBIs the past five seasons. He is a two-time Gold Glove winner at first base who finished this year with more walks (97) than strikeouts (93), making him a perfect fit for the Sox in every way.

Kotsay could be moving on
                              Sure enough, Mark Kotsay filed for free agency Saturday along with former Sox right fielder Eric Hinske, who was most recently seen suiting up for the Tampa Bay Rays... The Globe's Adam Kilgore writes that it seems likely that outfielder/first baseman Kotsay will end up elsewhere. He will be a free agent for the first time, and he has indicated his desire to occupy an everyday role, something unlikely to happen with the Red Sox. Kotsay was acquired by Boston from Atlanta in late August.

Could Laird catch on with Sox?

The Rangers are willing to part with catcher Gerald Laird, who the Sox eyed last winter, but it may cost the Sox a pitcher. Writes The Globe's Tony Massarotti: "While the Red Sox have interest in re-signing Varitek, one baseball source indicated the Texas Rangers would be willing to part with catcher Gerald Laird, in whom the Sox had an interest last offseason. Texas has an obvious need for pitching to go along with catching prospect Taylor Teagarden, whom one scout suggested is already a strong defensive player." ... Nick Cafardo writes in Sunday's baseball notes that the Rangers have catching depth but probably aren't parting with Teagarden, and the Sox are pretty split organizationally on Laird, who has matured quite a bit from his younger days. But the best bet continues to be Jarrod Saltalamacchia, whom the Sox could groom while a veteran - Varitek, Bengie Molina, Pudge Rodriguez - keeps the seat warm for a year or two....Massarotti writes that regardless of what happens with Jason Varitek, the Sox need to find a younger, long-term replacement who can provide them with at least average offensive output. The Rangers, with three promising young catchers in Jarod Saltalamacchia, Teagarden, and Max Ramirez, may be a logical trade partner. The Sox tried to deal for Laird last winter.

sigpic

Comment

• More from the Globe.

Tazawa free to pursue career in MLB; Sox interested?
                                Junichi Tazawa, a 22-year-old Japanese pitcher whose fastball reaches the mid-to-high 90s and who also throws a forkball and slider, was passed over by Japan's 12 professional teams in Thursday's amateur draft. He had told Japanese teams not to draft him so he could pursue a career playing in the United States. He has drawn interest from several major league teams, including the Red Sox, who scouted Tazawa when he pitched in his team to the national corporate league championship in Japan this season. Put this one in the "highly speculative" category for now.

Sox among several teams looking at Kawakami
                                Kenshin Kawakami, a 33-year-old righthanded pitcher, is most likely going to make a jump to the major leagues for the 2009 season as a free agent. Sports Nippon is reporting that the Red Sox are one of the teams that is interested in his services. As an ace of the Chunichi Dragons, he went 9-5 with 2.30 ERA last season and also pitched in the Beijing Olympics for the Japanese team. His career record is 112-72 with 3.22 ERA in 257 games during his 11 seasons with the Dragons and he was a major contributor when the Dragons won Japan Series in 2007. Kawakami's best pitch is cut-fastball and is comparable to Hiroki Kuroda of the Dodgers.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X