Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to Pedroia. Well deserved.

Crisp.....can I change 2nd favorite teams now? Why did it have to be the Royals?

When you trade the player your manager calls "the best center fielder I've ever seen" for a middle reliever, does that mean said player is highly overrated? Crisp couldn't carry Damon's jock.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
      Congrats to Pedroia. Well deserved.

Crisp.....can I change 2nd favorite teams now? Why did it have to be the Royals?

When you trade the player your manager calls "the best center fielder I've ever seen" for a middle reliever, does that mean said player is highly overrated? Crisp couldn't carry Damon's jock.
      Thank you KB!!

As far as Covelli goes, this makes it sink or swim time for Jacoby.
      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
        Thank you KB!!

As far as Covelli goes, this makes it sink or swim time for Jacoby.
        Nothing wrong with that. Definite upgrade.

Comment

Had to add to it.:salute!:

In other news.

Coco Crisp is traded to the Royals RP Ramon Ramirez
          I like the trade a lot. It allows Masterson to go back to the starting rotation. The Sox now have a starting four of Beckett, Lester, Dice-K and Masterson.

4 young arms. That's a fantastic rotation. Now they need to trade Lugo and get Teixeira.

Comment

• I would love to have infield of

1B Youk
            2B Tex
            SS Peds
            3B Lowell

:salute!::salute!:

sigpic

Comment

Congrats to Pedroia. Well deserved.

crisp isn;t as good a hitter as damon but he's 10 times the fielder

great trade for the sox...you can never have enough quality arms in the bullpen

Comment

• Ramirez might be bundled in a trade to Texas.

sigpic

Comment

I would love to have infield of

1B Youk
                  2B Tex
                  SS Peds
                  3B Lowell

:salute!::salute!:
                  texiera is a good first baseman but he'd be the worst 2b in all of baseball

Comment

• Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                    texiera is a good first baseman but he'd be the worst 2b in all of baseball
                    Where would we put him then.

sigpic

Comment

crisp isn;t as good a hitter as damon but he's 10 times the fielder

great trade for the sox...you can never have enough quality arms in the bullpen
                      Crisp lost his starting job and was nearly traded a year ago. The best CF Francona has ever seen? Better than Mantle and Mays? Give me a break. All part of the hype.

Crisp was way overhyped. Don't underrate the difference between a quality leadoff hitter and a #9 hitter. The difference is huge. Damon is 10 times the hitter Crisp is and, despite being several years older, is much sturdier. Damon is still one of the best leadoff hitters in the game. Since becoming starters: Crisp has averaged 130 games over 5 seasons, not exactly an iron man. Damon has averaged 149 over 13 seasons... with only one trip to the DL. Despite the fact Drew missed the 2nd half of August and nearly all of September, Crisp didn't start 100 games. #4 OFs are no big deal.

Defensively: Nice range in CF. No arm.
                      Offensively:
                      2004-2005 Cleveland-- 284 G .299 BA .347 OBP 31 HR 140 RBI
                      2006-2008 Boston-- 368 G .271 BA .331 OBP 21 HR 137 RBI

Crisp just turned 29. Why the huge drop off? It certainly has nothing to do with age. No, he isn't a power hitter, but 7 HR per season in Boston is pathetic if you don't steal a ton of bases. He K's too much for someone with no power. In fact, the only offensive category Crisp "wins" over Damon is strikeout frequency.... if you consider striking out more often a "win", that is.

Ramirez is a 27 year old middle reliever. Good in 2006. Brutal in 2007. Good in 2008. Not bad, but not a good haul for a cheap starting OF in his prime. Crisp isn't a starting OF.
                      Last edited by keithbishop; 11-21-2008, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Where would we put him then.

youk would move to 3rd and lowell would be traded with the sox picking up the bulk of his contract

Comment

Crisp lost his starting job and was nearly traded a year ago. The best CF Francona has ever seen? Better than Mantle and Mays? Give me a break. All part of the hype.

Crisp was way overhyped. Don't underrate the difference between a quality leadoff hitter and a #9 hitter. The difference is huge. Damon is 10 times the hitter Crisp is and, despite being several years older, is much sturdier. Damon is still one of the best leadoff hitters in the game. Since becoming starters: Crisp has averaged 130 games over 5 seasons, not exactly an iron man. Damon has averaged 149 over 13 seasons... with only one trip to the DL. Despite the fact Drew missed the 2nd half of August and nearly all of September, Crisp didn't start 100 games. #4 OFs are no big deal.

Defensively: Nice range in CF. No arm.
                          Offensively:
                          2004-2005 Cleveland-- 284 G .299 BA .347 OBP 31 HR 140 RBI
                          2006-2008 Boston-- 368 G .271 BA .331 OBP 21 HR 137 RBI

Crisp just turned 29. Why the huge drop off? It certainly has nothing to do with age. No, he isn't a power hitter, but 7 HR per season in Boston is pathetic if you don't steal a ton of bases. He K's too much for someone with no power. In fact, the only offensive category Crisp "wins" over Damon is strikeout frequency.... if you consider striking out more often a "win", that is.

Ramirez is a 27 year old middle reliever. Good in 2006. Brutal in 2007. Good in 2008. Not bad, but not a good haul for a cheap starting OF in his prime. Crisp isn't a starting OF.
                          numbers can be manipulated however you like...if you look at 2007, damon and crisp were the same player with crisp having a big edge in fielding

2008, damon regained his form at the plate but he's still a liability in the field

if, and it's a big if, crisp can put up the numbers he put up last season over a full year, crisp will be a very nice #2 or #8 or 9 hitter for the royals....he's not damon but he's a very serviceable centerfielder

Comment

numbers can be manipulated however you like...if you look at 2007, damon and crisp were the same player with crisp having a big edge in fielding

2008, damon regained his form at the plate but he's still a liability in the field

if, and it's a big if, crisp can put up the numbers he put up last season over a full year, crisp will be a very nice #2 or #8 or 9 hitter for the royals....he's not damon but he's a very serviceable centerfielder

Manipulating... as in ignoring 2006 and 2008?

Damon had a horrible year by his standards in 2007, but hit very well in 2006 and 2008. Crisp turned 28 on Nov. 1, 2007. Damon turned 34 4 days later. Damon hasn't played in fewer than 141 games since his rookie season, 1995, when he spent most of the year in the minors. I think that sometimes people forget Damon has nearly 2,000 games under his belt. Did he lose range over that period? Absolutely. Should I be surprised? I'm not. I've seen many CFs end up in corner OF spots over the course of their careers.

Despite the hype for Crisp, how are these numbers "manipulated"?
                            2004: 139 G 15 HR 71 RBI .297 BA .344 OBP .446 SLG
                            2005: 145 G 16 HR 69 RBI .300/ .345/ .465
                            2006: 105 G 8 HR 36 RBI .264/.317/ .385
                            2007: 145 G 6 HR 60 RBI .268/ .330/ .382
                            2008: 118 G (98 starts) 7 HR 41 RBI .283/ .344/.407

I thought he'd hit .300 with 18-20 HR a season. He should have improved, not regressed, over the past 3 seasons. He lost his starting job. I never understood why he was so overhyped. Francona had to see Mantle and Mays play. Crisp is better? That's laughable. Strong defense (when he's not throwing)/ unimpressive offense (hence the "So-So Crisp" nickname from Yankees fans). Decent player, but that's it.

Nice addition for KC, but KC isn't Boston. He didn't get the job done.

Comment

• To me the arugement is moot. Both Covelli and Johnny are gone. Ellsbury is our Centerfielder now, and if he is as good as Sox fans hope he is it wont matter.

sigpic

Comment

To me the arugement is moot. Both Covelli and Johnny are gone. Ellsbury is our Centerfielder now, and if he is as good as Sox fans hope he is it wont matter.

What argument? The Red Sox dumped Crisp for a reason. Ellsbury took Crisp's job for a reason. Crisp was overhyped.

Comment

Working...
                                X