Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
    What argument? The Red Sox dumped Crisp for a reason. Ellsbury took Crisp's job for a reason. Crisp was overhyped.
    The one about Damon/Crisp that was happening. Maybe I should have said discussion.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
      The one about Damon/Crisp that was happening. Maybe I should have said discussion.

I should note that I'm not speaking as an anti-Red Sox fan. I'm speaking as a Royals fan. They're only my 2nd favorite team, but, still, I'm hoping other Royals fans (there have to be 3 or 4 of them ) see Crisp for what he is, a decent player, not "the best CF" Francona has ever seen.

It isn't a bad move for KC.... middle relievers are expendable, but it isn't an exciting move, either.

Positive: Crisp may be an upgrade over likely to be traded Mark Teahen. Teahen had a poor season in 2008 and, at this point, no longer looks like the promising player he was in 2006.

Negative: Where's the power? David DeJesus has enough power for CF, but not LF. That means KC's starting OF and top backup (Joey Gathright) combined for 39 HR last season. Perhaps Jose Guillen will hit more than 20 HR next season, but his HR totals have dropped from 31 to 27 to 24 to 23 to 20
      in his last 5 full seasons, a disturbing trend. His attitude sucks, so it's hard to tell how much effort he'll give. Perhaps DeJesus and Crisp will combine for more than 19, but neither is a power hitter. Gathright has 1 HR in 408 games.
      Why add Crisp to a team that has Gathright and DeJesus?

Bottom line: KC gets a slight defensive upgrade in CF (Crisp is faster than DeJesus, but DeJesus is a quality defender and throws much better) and in LF, but will have even less power than last season.

I'm not thrilled with the deal.

I'd still like to know what happened to Crisp after he left Cleveland. His numbers plummeted. Any guesses why? I'd love to see him at the level he played for Cleveland, but the odds aren't good.
      Last edited by keithbishop; 11-21-2008, 10:11 PM.
      My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

I should note that I'm not speaking as an anti-Red Sox fan. I'm speaking as a Royals fan. They're only my 2nd favorite team, but, still, I'm hoping other Royals fans (there have to be 3 or 4 of them ) see Crisp for what he is, a decent player, not "the best CF" Francona has ever seen.

It isn't a bad move for KC.... middle relievers are expendable, but it isn't an exciting move, either.

Positive: Crisp may be an upgrade over likely to be traded Mark Teahen. Teahen had a poor season in 2008 and, at this point, no longer looks like the promising player he was in 2006.

Negative: Where's the power? David DeJesus has enough power for CF, but not LF. That means KC's starting OF and top backup (Joey Gathright) combined for 39 HR last season. Perhaps Jose Guillen will hit more than 20 HR next season, but his HR totals have dropped from 31 to 27 to 24 to 23 to 20
        in his last 5 full seasons, a disturbing trend. His attitude sucks, so it's hard to tell how much effort he'll give. Perhaps DeJesus and Crisp will combine for more than 19, but neither is a power hitter. Gathright has 1 HR in 408 games.
        Why add Crisp to a team that has Gathright and DeJesus?

Bottom line: KC gets a slight defensive upgrade in CF (Crisp is faster than DeJesus, but DeJesus is a quality defender and throws much better) and in LF, but will have even less power than last season.

I'm not thrilled with the deal.

I'd still like to know what happened to Crisp after he left Cleveland. His numbers plummeted. Any guesses why? I'd love to see him at the level he played for Cleveland, but the odds aren't good.

I wish I knew that is well. His Cleveland numbers whould have helped in the ALCS.

sigpic

Comment

Manipulating... as in ignoring 2006 and 2008?

Damon had a horrible year by his standards in 2007, but hit very well in 2006 and 2008. Crisp turned 28 on Nov. 1, 2007. Damon turned 34 4 days later. Damon hasn't played in fewer than 141 games since his rookie season, 1995, when he spent most of the year in the minors. I think that sometimes people forget Damon has nearly 2,000 games under his belt. Did he lose range over that period? Absolutely. Should I be surprised? I'm not. I've seen many CFs end up in corner OF spots over the course of their careers.

Despite the hype for Crisp, how are these numbers "manipulated"?
          2004: 139 G 15 HR 71 RBI .297 BA .344 OBP .446 SLG
          2005: 145 G 16 HR 69 RBI .300/ .345/ .465
          2006: 105 G 8 HR 36 RBI .264/.317/ .385
          2007: 145 G 6 HR 60 RBI .268/ .330/ .382
          2008: 118 G (98 starts) 7 HR 41 RBI .283/ .344/.407

I thought he'd hit .300 with 18-20 HR a season. He should have improved, not regressed, over the past 3 seasons. He lost his starting job. I never understood why he was so overhyped. Francona had to see Mantle and Mays play. Crisp is better? That's laughable. Strong defense (when he's not throwing)/ unimpressive offense (hence the "So-So Crisp" nickname from Yankees fans). Decent player, but that's it.

Nice addition for KC, but KC isn't Boston. He didn't get the job done.
          i don't want this to look like i'm saying crisp wasn't a bust...he was a bigtime bust but if he hadn't been, ellsbury would probably have been traded and i love jacoby...i just think his 2008 season wasn't that bad...he'll bat 280 and steal 35 bases for the royals, they could do a lot worse

and when francona talks about crisp being the best centerfielder, it's pretty safe to say he's talking about fielding, not hitting or throwing...i've been watching baseball since the early 70's and he's one of the smoothest fielding centerfielders i've ever seen...and he's made at least 3 catches i'd rank with any 3 catches i've ever seen, period

i'll be rooting for him in kc

Comment

• Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
            i don't want this to look like i'm saying crisp wasn't a bust...he was a bigtime bust but if he hadn't been, ellsbury would probably have been traded and i love jacoby...i just think his 2008 season wasn't that bad...he'll bat 280 and steal 35 bases for the royals, they could do a lot worse

and when francona talks about crisp being the best centerfielder, it's pretty safe to say he's talking about fielding, not hitting or throwing...i've been watching baseball since the early 70's and he's one of the smoothest fielding centerfielders i've ever seen...and he's made at least 3 catches i'd rank with any 3 catches i've ever seen, period

i'll be rooting for him in kc
            Crisp had a good year for a part timer. He'll be OK in KC. I just don't understand the value of decreasing the already anemic power numbers from their OF.

I don't understand how throwing isn't considered a part of defense. Every time Damon's defense is mentioned, his throwing is part of the equation, as it should be. It's always been his defensive shortcoming. Other than his arm, he's still a quality defender. Having lost a step, he's a much better fit in LF than in CF. Range is beneficial in LF in Yankee stadium. Smooth? No. Hell, he's far from smooth at the plate, much less in the field, but anyone who plays hard and plays hurt for as long as he has is going to lose a step. Damon is tough as nails.... the ultimate gamer. I never badmouthed him in Boston. Hated seeing him with the Red Sox, but respected him far too much to put him down. Crisp can't carry his jock.

Francona's been around long enough to have seen Mantle and Mays. Both were the entire package defensively and both had to roam huge outfields in the days before everyone brought in the fences. Just going by what I've been told, but it's blasphemy to compare Crisp with them. Had he said Crisp was the best CF that's played for him, I wouldn't mind, but best he's ever seen? I don't buy it.

Comment

• There is talk of Rocco Baldelli playing for his hometown team as a forth outfielder.

sigpic

Comment

• BOSTON -- The Red Sox, already the beneficiaries of significant success from Daisuke Matsuzaka and Hideki Okajima, are in the process of trying to land a third potential impact pitcher from Japan.
                The Web site for Japanese newspaper Sankei Sports is reporting that the Boston Red Sox have made a $6 million contract offer to right-handed pitcher Junichi Tazawa.

The report indicated that the 22-year-old Tazawa met with Craig Shipley, the Red Sox's vice president of international scouting, for nearly two hours.

Japanese paper Nikkan Sports was reporting late Sunday that Tazawa had already chosen the Red Sox and that he would sign sometime in early December.

The deal is reported by Nikkan to be a Major League deal for $3 million over three years, though it's not known if there's a signing bonus or not.

The Red Sox, as is their standard policy when it comes to free-agent negotiations, international or otherwise, chose not to comment on the reports.

"Sorry we don't comment on any negotiation in process," Shipley wrote in an e-mail to MLB.com.

Two offseasons ago, Shipley was largely responsible for Boston's successful pursuit of Matsuzaka (fourth in the American League in the Cy Young Award race this season) and Okajima, who has been one of the best lefty setup men in the American League the last two years.

Tazawa, who has attracted attention from several Major League teams, skipped the Japanese draft in order to sign with a Major League team. Because of this, he will not require a posting fee.

That would be a considerable savings from when Boston made a blind bid of $51.1 million to the Seibu Lions to win negotiating rights for Matsuzaka. The Red Sox then signed Matsuzaka to a six-year, $52 million contract, meaning the total acquisition cost for the gifted righty was $103.1 million.

But it's a much different situation in that Tazawa hasn't pitched in professional baseball, while Matsuzaka was a star for the Seibu Lions for eight seasons.

Though Tazawa is a bit of an unknown commodity because of his lack of pro experience, he has drawn interest from not just the Red Sox, but other teams as well.

The Tigers sent a scout to Japan to meet with Tazawa last week.

The Atlanta Braves, MLB.com reported three weeks ago, were "believed" to have offered Tazawa a contract. Reports have also suggested that the Mariners -- led by a Japanese superstar in outfielder Ichiro Suzuki -- are also in the running.

The Red Sox could be an attractive destination for Tazawa because of the presence of Matsuzaka and Okajima, who have made impressive transitions to the Major Leagues and the culture of the United States.

Tazawa spent 2008 pitching for the Nippon Oil team in Japan's Industrial League, which is for amateurs. His fastball is reportedly in the upper 90s, topping out at 97 mph.

sigpic

Comment

• Reports coming out of Japan indicate that the Red Sox are the choice of coveted amateur pitcher Junichi Tazawa, a 22-year-old righthander who idolizes Daisuke Matsuzaka.

Sankei Sports reported on Wednesday that Tazawa told an associate that he will be signing with the Red Sox and has agreed to a three-year major league deal, placing him on Boston's 40-man roster. The official announcement is expected on Dec. 1.

The Mainichi Daily News said on Tuesday that Tazawa is likely to officially announce next week that he will join the Red Sox. He is expected to sign a major league contract with the Red Sox and begin his professional career in the minor leagues, the newspaper reported.

Nikkan Sports reported that Tazawa has cut off negotiations will all other MLB clubs.

"I appreciate that I have been highly rated by the teams. I want to make a decision [which team to sign with] as soon as possible," Tazawa said Monday after meeting with Texas Rangers representatives.

Tazawa, who pitched for Nippon Oil Eneos in the Japan Industrial League and was the Most Valuable Player of the Intercity Baseball Tournament this summer, graduated from high school in Yokohama and has said he wants to play for the same team as Matsuzaka, who went to another high school in Yokohama.

That desire apparently is a primary factor in his decision to accept the Red Sox' offer -- reported to be for $6 million -- which is not the most lucrative proposal he has received, according to the Mainichi Daily News. The Rangers are thought to have presented the richest deal both in terms of salary and contract length, while the the Seattle Mariners and Atlanta Braves have also made offers.

Tazawa, who was passed over by Japan's 12 professional teams in the recent draft after requesting that he not be selected so he could pursue a career in the United States, is more of an intriguing prospect than a finished product at this point. Reports say he throws in the low 90s, with a quality breaking ball and a changeup.

sigpic

Comment

• Varitek offered arbitration.

The Red Sox are possibly still interested in bringing back All-Star catcher Jason Varitek. Varitek filed for free agency for the first time in 11 years at the end of the 2008 season.

According to MLBTradeRumors.com and other news sources, the Red Sox are expected to offer Jason Varitek arbitration.

In return, the ‘Sox would get two first round picks if the catcher was to sign with a different team. If the arbitration offer is accepted, Varitek would be wearing a Boston Red Sox jersey for at least one more season.

Scott Boras, Jason Varitek’s agent has expressed his concern with playing full-time. Varitek started 120 games for the Red Sox in 2008, his lowest number of starts recorded, except in 2006 when injuries played a role.

The Red Sox organization has not spoken a word to the Media or Varitek.

RBI Magazine will keep updates on this story.

sigpic

Comment

• From Boston.com

The Red Sox have filled out their coaching staff by plucking someone from one of their American League East rivals.

Tim Bogar, who spent last season as an assistant major league coach with the Tampa Bay Rays, was named Boston's first base coach today. He replaces Luis Alicea, who was let go shortly after the postseason ended.

Bogar, who had a quick conference call with the media, along with manager Terry Francona at 2 p.m., spent last season in charge of infield and baserunning instruction for Tampa Bay, and also helped with advance series preparation. He also worked as a minor league manager in the Indians and Astros systems.

The new Sox first base coach seemed anxious to get back on the field. While he worked in a number of capacities for the Rays last season, he was not part of the uniformed crew, which he will be with the Sox this season.

"It was a very unique situation where I got to deal with very different areas, the scouting side, the front office," Bogar said. "But also dealing with the major league staff, going over the game of the previous night. It opened up my eyes to what went on at this level. I also missed being on the field ... having a direct impact as the game progresses on. I'm really looking forward to having that again."

Bogar, 44, played nine major league seasons, primarily as a shortstop, with the New York Mets (1993-96), Houston (1997-2000) and Los Angeles Dodgers (2001), compiling a .228 batting average with 24 home runs and 161 RBI in 701 games.

Bogar is the only new addition to the Sox coaching staff, after the team retained the rest of its coaches. Though both bench coach Brad Mills and third base coach DeMarlo Hale interviewed in Seattle, they will return to the staff when the Mariners decided on Don Wakamatsu.

"Already sent him some emails this morning," Francona said. "It's not rocket science. Baseball getting played correctly is what we're trying to do. Getting some of his opinions, too. [He'll] be in charge of the infield play, be in charge of how we align ourselves in the infield defensively, infield drills in spring training."

sigpic

Comment

• "A week after trading away center fielder Coco Crisp, the Red Sox’ efforts to move shortstop Julio Lugo have stalled.

The team had some discussions earlier this month with the Detroit Tigers, who are in the market for a shortstop. The Red Sox and Tigers had discussed the general parameters of a deal in which the Sox would send Lugo to Detroit in exchange for one of two left-handed pitchers, either Dontrelle Willis or Nate Robertson.

Such a swap would have exchanged similar contracts, with all three players having two years left on their current deals. Lugo is due a total of $18 million, Willis has $22 million coming and Robertson will collect $17 million.

Industry sources report that momentum for such a swap has slowed. The possibility of a deal is now considered remote.

A more likely scenario would have the Red Sox bringing Lugo to spring training and having him compete for the starting shortstop position with Jed Lowrie, who took over the job in July when Lugo went down with a quadriceps injury.

If Lugo doesn’t play well enough to regain the position, the Sox could either keep him in a utility role - he has played second base before and, briefly, in the outfield - while waiting to see if a market develops due to injuries or other factors.

A number of veteran free agent shortstops are on the current free agent market, including Rafael Furcal and two former Red Sox shortstops, Edgar Renteria and Orlando Cabrera."

Comment

• The Rangers, who took Wes Littleton off the roster last week by designating him for assignment, sent the reliever to Boston today for a player to be named later or cash. Could it be a player named Bucholz, Masterson or Bowden? Don't hold your breath.

GM Jon Daniels said the player to be named may not be acquired until close to opening day, so the club isn't commenting on much regarding the deal. I suppose if the Rangers could put together a deal with Boston that sends one of their catchers (Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Taylor Teagarden) to Boston for one of the aforementioned pitching prospects, any future considerations regarding Littleton could be dropped, essentially making him a throw-in to a bigger deal. But I don't expect that.

Comment

• From what I have read Buch is not going anywhere anytime soon.

sigpic

Comment

• From Boston.com

Good news on Tazawa.
                              While the free agent market continued to move at a snail's pace, a baseball source confirmed today that the Sox have reached agreement with Japanese pitcher Junichi Tazawa pending the outcome of a physical exam this week.

According to the same source, the 22-year-old Tazawa is due in Boston during the early or middle part of this week to undergo a physical that is seen largely as a formality. Official announcement of Tazawa's signing will likely come as late as this week, depending on the pitcher's precise travel schedule and the progress of his physical exam.

According to the same source, Tazawa's deal is a major league contract worth an estimated $3 million over three years, though Tazawa would not become a free agent at the end of the contract. By agreement between the player and team, Tazawa would become eligible for arbitration after he accrues three years of service time (as is the case with any player) and would not be eligible for free agency until he has six years of service (in this case, no earlier than the fall of 2014).

The fact that the deal is a major league contract -- as opposed to a minor league deal -- means only that Tazawa would be placed on the 40-man roster to start his career.

Recently, one Red Sox official indicated that Tazawa is expected to open his professional career in the minor leagues because he needs additional experience. Nonetheless, major league deals for players of the like are relatively unusual and indicate a certain amount of potential on the part of the player.

In 2005, the Sox drafted and signed reliever Craig Hansen to a major league contract that might be similar to that of Tazawa. Hansen agreed to a four-year deal worth an estimated $4 million guaranteed and was immediately placed on the 40-man roster. Though he opened his career in the minor leagues, he was in the majors before long.

While Tazawa's name has been bandied about for weeks, some accounts of him have been inaccurate. Tazawa's fastball has been clocked in the low 90s -- not in the mid- to high-90s, as has been reported in some places -- and he also possesses a good changeup and breaking ball.

Given the success of Daisuke Matsuzaka and Hideki Okajima, Sox officials seem cautious about overhyping Tazawa's talents. Though the Sox believe Tazawa could become an important part of their pitching staff, one evaluator believes that Tazawa will be at least comparable to former major leaguer Shigetoshi Hasegawa, a serviceable middle reliever and set-up man who pitched quite effectively for the Seattle Mariners and the then-Anaheim Angels from 1997-2005. Hasegawa went 45-44 with a 3.71 ERA in 517 appearances and posted a 1.48 ERA for the Mariners in 2003.

It is unclear whether the Sox view Tazawa in the long-term as a starter or reliever. The pitcher drew great attention in Japan because he opted to bypass the professional draft in Japan, thereby making himself eligible to play in the United States at a very young age.

sigpic

Comment

• Blast from the past........

"There is a famous story about Fisk and his respect for the game involving Deion Sanders. In 1989 the Sox were in New York to play the Yankees. The incident occurred when Neon Deion hit a pop up that was sure to be caught and he did not run to first base. Fisk, always the defender of the honor of baseball was enraged at Sanders. He told him "You're in Yankee f**king Stadium! Who the hell do you think you are! You are not bigger than this game and if you don't run that fly ball out I will kick your @$$ right here!" Sanders later apologized for his actions."

I wonder what Fisk would think about "Manny being Manny".

Kudos to Fisk for putting the punk (nicest thing I can call Sanders) in his place.

Comment

Working...
                                X