Clear All

• Originally posted by dragster69 View Post
    Haha!! you need help man!
    Just kidding. Who do we play?
    You are not the first to say that.

It is a twin bill.

1:05 EST Boston College
    @7:05 @ Min
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

• Penny not rushing through camp

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/ar...=.jsp&c_id=bos

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- What could a seemingly routine exercise -- throwing batting practice to a group of Minor League hitters at 11 a.m. ET on Monday -- possibly mean to Brad Penny, a two-time All-Star?
      Come to think of it, quite a bit.

"Today, for me, answered a lot of questions for me mentally and physically," said Penny. "I really didn't know what to expect going out there for the first time, but everything felt great."

Monday marked not just the first time Penny has thrown to hitters this spring, but the first time since his ill-fated, injury-plagued 2008 season came to a crashing halt on Sept. 15 against the Pirates.

In the months that have passed, Penny has rebuilt the strength in his meal ticket of a right shoulder bit by bit, but it's still a work in progress.

"It's been a while since I've been out there to face hitters," Penny said. "Command wasn't where I normally am, but it wasn't bad. I felt like I had ride on my fastball and I was getting good rotation on the breaking ball. The splitty was a little erratic, but that will come later in the spring."

There's time. But also no rush. The Red Sox fully expect Penny to be in the rotation at the start of the season, but they have no motivation to rush him through Spring Training.

In fact, Penny and ace closer Jonathan Papelbon were the last Boston pitchers -- aside from the rehabbing John Smoltz -- to face hitters this spring, both doing so in their back-to-back sessions on Field 3 on Monday morning.

"It was nice to see them get on the mound," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "They've been probably two turns behind everyone else. Now they'll come back on Thursday and face hitters again over at the stadium. We'll do it on the back field. That will get them in line to throw in a game."

Papelbon is expected to make his Grapefruit League debut on March 3, with Penny to follow two days later.

"With Pap, with it being a long spring, I don't know that we need to speed him up that much," said Francona. "With Penny, [it will be] a little bit slower progression. I think the destination is the same, just getting there has been a little different. We went every third day with him, as opposed to every second day, just to give him another day to recover before he throws, because it's a long year. Again, looking at the larger picture, I think it makes sense."

When Penny makes his first exhibition start, it will be another test for where he is at physically. And the same goes for his first start of the regular season and all those after that. For Penny knows that this is not going to be a normal year for him. He will spend the season balancing between pitching and maintaining his new strength program.
      "It's still early in spring. I think the test will be all year," Penny said. "I don't think it's going to be, 'OK, now I'm fine.' I think I've got to stay on this program and keep working and do all I have to do to stay out there."

If Penny can keep his turn in the rotation, the Red Sox feel that they'll have one of the free-agent finds of the winter.

"Just look at his track record," said Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell. "He's got the ability for mid-teens wins. We're not certainly putting a number on that. He's a guy that, in the past, has been a solid middle-of-the-rotation to No. 2-type starter. But we know that he's got some individual needs that we've got to monitor. We'll increase his workload accordingly, provided he continues to show that there's no need for additional days down."

Penny understands the conservative program the Red Sox have set out for him, but that doesn't mean that he sometimes has to resist the urge to do more.

"I feel 100 percent," Penny said. "The schedule I'm on, if it was up to me, I'd want to go out there every single day. This will give me more time to strengthen my shoulder to where it should have been."

There were some recent verbal barbs tossed through the media between Penny and Dodgers third-base coach Larry Bowa. After Penny said that Bowa and some others created an uptight atmosphere in Los Angeles' clubhouse, Bowa suggested Penny wasn't a hard worker or a particularly good teammate.

However, the Red Sox have seen no red flags with the righty.

"I have really no reaction to what feedback is coming from the Dodgers," Farrell said. "What we have to base our judgment on is what he shows day in and day out. I would tell you right now, we've given him some direction with some certain exercises and certain intensity on things, and he's responded very well. I think he sees a group of pitchers around him that work extremely hard. They are very disciplined in their approach. That's the norm here. There have been no issues as far as him fitting in and matching the intensity the other pitchers are showing around him."

Penny had no comment when asked about Bowa's remarks. His sole focus at the moment is trying to become one of baseball's best rebound stories of 2009.

What does he envision for this season?

"I hope good things. I can't see the future," said Penny. "But I'm going to try to stay healthy, work my butt off, go out there every fifth day and see what I can do."

sigpic

Comment

• Here is the line up for the exihabition game with Boston College.

Lugo SS
        Baldelli LF
        Oritz DH
        Drew RF
        Cater 1B
        Kottaras, G C
        Van Every, J CF
        Green 2B
        Chavez, A 3B

Beckett P

Granted this is the first game of Spring training and some off the big names are not playing ie Pedrioa, but I am suprised the Ortiz is batting in front of Drew.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
          Here is the line up for the exihabition game with Boston College.

Lugo SS
          Baldelli LF
          Oritz DH
          Drew RF
          Cater 1B
          Kottaras, G C
          Van Every, J CF
          Green 2B
          Chavez, A 3B

Beckett P

Granted this is the first game of Spring training and some off the big names are not playing ie Pedrioa, but I am suprised the Ortiz is batting in front of Drew.
          ortiz always bats 3rd...francona likes him there...and then that only leaves drew for 4th
          Last edited by Apoc13; 02-25-2009, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
            ortiz always bats 3rd...francona likes him there...and then that only leaves drew for 4th
            Hmm I could have sworn it was Manny then Ortiz during the World Series years.

sigpic

Comment

Hmm I could have sworn it was Manny then Ortiz during the World Series years.
              I remember in 2004 Manny hit 4th the first half of the season. Then the 2nd half he was 3rd. I had him in my fantasy league that year and loved when he batted before Ortiz, the numbers were amazing.

Comment

• That must have been what I was thinking of. I hate to say it but if I was a opposning pitcher, I would walk Papi and take my chances with Drew.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                  I remember in 2004 Manny hit 4th the first half of the season. Then the 2nd half he was 3rd. I had him in my fantasy league that year and loved when he batted before Ortiz, the numbers were amazing.
                  yeah that's true though i can;t remember why they switched it up...but since then it was almost entirely ortiz 3, manny 4

Comment

That must have been what I was thinking of. I hate to say it but if I was a opposning pitcher, I would walk Papi and take my chances with Drew.

it doesn't matter yet anyway. it's spring training, nobody gets intentionally walked....and drew won;t be there once the season starts, it'll be ortiz and youk, who did well behind papi last year

Comment

• RED SOX 7 BOSTON COLLEGE 1

Red Sox at the plate: After being shut down over the first four innings, the Red Sox rallied for six runs in the fifth, riding a two-run double into the gap by Angel Chavez and a three-run double by Chris Carter.

Boston College at the plate: Mike Augustine got the first hit of the day for Boston College, a line single to left in the fourth against lefty prospect Kris Johnson. Later that inning, Mike Belfiore broke a scoreless tie with an RBI single to right.

Red Sox on the mound: Ace Josh Beckett had a successful Spring Training debut, firing two perfect innings and striking out two. Beckett threw 22 pitches, 15 for strikes. Clay Buchholz was first out of the 'pen, throwing a scoreless third inning.

Boston College on the mound: Geoff Oxley got the start for the Eagles, pitching one scoreless inning and walking two.

Up next: The Red Sox take a short bus ride to play the Twins tonight at 7:05 ET at Hammond Stadium. Veteran knuckleballer Tim Wakefield draws the nod in that one, as he'll work with catcher Josh Bard. Glen Perkins is starting for Minnesota. Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis and Jason Bay are among the regulars who will suit up for Boston.

sigpic

Comment

• from the sox site...

Ace Josh Beckett had a successful Spring Training debut, firing two perfect innings and striking out two. Beckett threw 22 pitches, 15 for strikes. Clay Buchholz was first out of the 'pen, throwing a scoreless third inning.

Comment

RED SOX 7 BOSTON COLLEGE 1

Red Sox at the plate: After being shut down over the first four innings, the Red Sox rallied for six runs in the fifth, riding a two-run double into the gap by Angel Chavez and a three-run double by Chris Carter.

Boston College at the plate: Mike Augustine got the first hit of the day for Boston College, a line single to left in the fourth against lefty prospect Kris Johnson. Later that inning, Mike Belfiore broke a scoreless tie with an RBI single to right.

Red Sox on the mound: Ace Josh Beckett had a successful Spring Training debut, firing two perfect innings and striking out two. Beckett threw 22 pitches, 15 for strikes. Clay Buchholz was first out of the 'pen, throwing a scoreless third inning.

Boston College on the mound: Geoff Oxley got the start for the Eagles, pitching one scoreless inning and walking two.

Up next: The Red Sox take a short bus ride to play the Twins tonight at 7:05 ET at Hammond Stadium. Veteran knuckleballer Tim Wakefield draws the nod in that one, as he'll work with catcher Josh Bard. Glen Perkins is starting for Minnesota. Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis and Jason Bay are among the regulars who will suit up for Boston.
                          ...you beat me, literally, by seconds

Comment

• http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/pr...=CommentWidget

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Unlike the last time he took the mound in a game for the Red Sox, Josh Beckett didn't need anti-inflammatories just to make it bearable. He didn't grimace with each maximum-effort offering, as was the case for Game 6 of the American League Championship Series against the Tampa Bay Rays.
                            The ace took the ball for the first time in 2009 with his health intact, and the fact that the opponent was only Boston College mattered little to Beckett.

"I was actually just having a conversation with David Ortiz about that," said Beckett. "It's a lot easier to focus on what you're trying to do when you're not dealing with those little nagging things that end up being exterior distractions and take your focus away from what you're trying to do."

In Wednesday's Spring Training debut, Beckett focused exclusively on throwing pitches. He fired off 22 of them, 15 for strikes. Over two innings, he struck out two and didn't allow a baserunner.

For Beckett and the Red Sox, it was a solid first step. Remember, the injuries to Beckett a year ago started way before the right oblique injury that hindered him in the postseason. It all started on the same City of Palms mound where Beckett faced Boston College.

Before his third start last spring, Beckett grabbed his back during his warmups and had to remove himself before the game even started. He started the season on the disabled list, setting the tone for what would become a frustrating year.

Now, it's all getting back to normal.

"Like I said, you can't go out there and not think about what happened last year," said Beckett. "I definitely thought about it some coming in, it's like, 'Is this going to happen again?' It was nice to get out of there and just feel good."

Though Jon Lester is an emerging lefty and Daisuke Matsuzaka is coming off an 18-win season, Beckett is the pitcher the Red Sox envision leading them if they are to win the World Series for the third time in six years.

"It would be nice to keep him out there for a bunch of starts," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "He's important to us. There's no getting around that. We want him to lead our staff. We've told him. I think he's at a point in his career where he relishes that. And he deserves it. It is important for us."

Beckett's plan of attack Wednesday was to get comfortable with his changeup. While his fastball and curve are pitches that come back to him instinctively, the change is the one that he can sometimes lose the feel for.

"I've kind of come into this spring really wanting to throw my changeup more during the spring, to get a feel for it," said Beckett. "It seemed like their lineup was kind of stacked with lefties, at least the part that I went through. I threw 22 pitches, I think I threw eight changeups -- seven or eight."

For a demonstration of what can happen to Beckett when he doesn't utilize his changeup, go back to 2006, his first season with the Red Sox. Though Beckett went 16-11 that year, he had a 5.01 ERA and gave up 36 homers.

"I didn't throw it much all year [in '06]," Beckett said. "There were a bunch of different people telling me that it was too hard and everything like that. Coming from the National League, that was basically how I pitched, fastball-changeup and curveball was kind of a little out pitch."

In '07, Beckett had the three pitch mix all year and finished second in the AL Cy Young Award voting. Last year, because of the injuries, Beckett didn't always have a consistent mix of hard and soft.

"It's a big feel pitch for me and the more I throw it, the more I can command it, the more I can take speed off of it, add speed to it," said Beckett. "It's a lot more of a feel pitch than my curveball is and I want to get as many of them in now as I can. That way I don't have to still be catching up to it in the regular season. If you go away from it early in the year because you don't have the feel for it, you're not going to get the feel for it."

Up next for Beckett will be his first Grapefruit League start, which comes Sunday at Hammond Stadium against the Twins.

"It's nice to go through a Spring Training and just know what you're going to do every day and not have to deal with sitting in the training room for three or four extra hours and stuff like that," said Beckett. "You just come in, you get your work done and you're out of here."

"It's nice to see him out there throwing free and easy," Francona said.

As Francona knows, the better Beckett feels, the easier things will be for the Red Sox.

sigpic

Comment

• wake has already given up 3 runs tonight....i think somebody said the game was on the mlb channel if anybody is interested....i'm listening on the radio

Comment

• Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                                wake has already given up 3 runs tonight....i think somebody said the game was on the mlb channel if anybody is interested....i'm listening on the radio
                                THE POST BELOW HAS BEEN EDITED TO COMPLY WITH THE COC.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X