Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
    keep us updated
    i'm getting out of work in an hour...once i get home there will be no time for game listening

Comment

• the sox are 12 up and 12 down vs anibel sanchez so far today

Comment

• Let's Go Red Sox.
        Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
        sigpic

Comment

• bot 5, tied at one...sox scored on a handley ramirez error...i'd still gladly welcome him back

Comment

• south, i might be right behind you in the banning department...you should look at my threads in the feedback forum, unless they're deleted...maybe i'm out of line but i feel i'm being wrongly accused...the crazy part is i'm not even allowed to express my opinion without getting into more trouble

Comment

• In rainy conditions, Sox edge Marlins

RED SOX 4, MARLINS 3 (7 1/2 innings)

sigpic

Comment

• In rainy conditions, Sox edge Marlins

RED SOX 4, MARLINS 3 (7 1/2 innings)

Red Sox at the plate: In the eighth inning, Ryan Kalish walked, advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored after stealing third when catcher Mike Rabelo's throw went into left field. In the sixth, Boston went ahead by two runs. George Kottaras' RBI groundout made it 2-1. Brad Wilkerson singled and Chris Carter doubled. Nick Green slapped a two-out RBI single. In the fifth, Green became Boston's first baserunner, reaching on a single with two outs. Green tied the game at 1 in the fifth on Hanley Ramirez's throwing error on Mike Jones' grounder.

Marlins at the plate: Playing for first time since March 14 due to a sore right shoulder, Ramirez had a sacrifice fly in the third inning to give Florida the lead. Ramirez had three plate appearances -- going hitless in two at-bats with a sacrifice fly. A two-run seventh pulled Florida even at 3. Jeremy Hermida, who went 2-for-3, singled. Brett Carroll had an RBI double and Michael Ryan added a run-scoring groundout.

Red Sox on the mound: Michael Bowden, a Double-A prospect, surrendered a run in the third. The right-hander allowed three hits, while striking out two and walking one. Marcus McBeth worked a perfect fourth, striking out one. Junichi Tazawa threw two shutout innings, allowing two hits with two strikeouts.

Marlins on the mound: Anibal Sanchez, acquired from the Red Sox as part of the Mike Lowell-Josh Beckett trade, retired 14 straight (4 2/3 innings) before allowing a hit. In the first three innings, Sanchez retired nine straight, throwing 28 pitches, with 20 for strikes. He worked 5 2/3 innings, giving up three runs (two earned), and threw 89 pitches (63 strikes). Renyel Pinto threw 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief. Grapefruit League record: Red Sox 11-10, Marlins 8-10-1

Up next: On Sunday at 1:05 p.m. ET, Beckett starts for Boston opposite Brett Myers and Philadelphia in Fort Myers, Fla. Florida, meanwhile, takes on Detroit in Lakeland at 1:05 p.m. Ricky Nolasco, the front-runner to be the Opening Day starter, will take on Justin Verlander.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                  south, i might be right behind you in the banning department...you should look at my threads in the feedback forum, unless they're deleted...maybe i'm out of line but i feel i'm being wrongly accused...the crazy part is i'm not even allowed to express my opinion without getting into more trouble
                  i saw the thread and expressed my concers as well, thru pm's..

pm kyle thru the link that was provided and you'll get your answers..

good luck
                  sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

• Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                    south, i might be right behind you in the banning department...you should look at my threads in the feedback forum, unless they're deleted...maybe i'm out of line but i feel i'm being wrongly accused...the crazy part is i'm not even allowed to express my opinion without getting into more trouble
                    What happened bro, PM me if you have to.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                      What happened bro, PM me if you have to.
                      i can't, after i was told not to call out or question the mods publicly they took my pm ability away...nice catch 22 there

here is the thread in question... link...and read a little further down and you'll see i wasn't even a tenth as bad as another poster

whatever, i sent my email and got it off my chest....just seems the moderation here is, at times, a bit much...especially when some real nasty stuff gets by without a mention

Comment

• Originally posted by saltybuggah View Post
                        i saw the thread and expressed my concers as well, thru pm's..

pm kyle thru the link that was provided and you'll get your answers..

good luck

thanks salty

Comment

• Lowell goes deep as Sox blank Phils

RED SOX 3, PHILLIES 0

Red Sox at the plate: Dustin Pedroia, playing his second game since returning from a left abdominal strain, went 2-for-3, including a double. Mike Lowell belted his second homer of the spring, a two-run shot in the first inning. David Ortiz ripped a double and scored on Lowell's blast. Chris Carter ripped a solo homer in the eighth.

Phillies at the plate: Raul Ibanez and Carlos Ruiz both hit doubles against Red Sox ace Josh Beckett. Ryan Howard went 1-for-2 with a walk.

Red Sox on the mound: Beckett fired five shutout innings, walking one and striking out two. Beckett threw 75 pitches, lowering his Spring Training ERA to 1.50. Hideki Okajima pitched a 1-2-3 sixth. Manny Delcarmen reeled off 1 2/3 scoreless innings.

Phillies on the mound: Brett Myers settled down after a rocky first, allowing two runs over his five innings. Myers walked two and struck out five, throwing 91 pitches. Chad Durbin struck out one and allowed one hit over one inning.

Grapefruit League records: Red Sox 12-10; Phillies 8-12

Up next: The Red Sox host the Tigers on Monday at 1:05 p.m. ET, with Brad Penny making his first Grapefruit League start. Penny has pitched in two Minor League games. Kevin Youkilis, who was forced out of the World Baseball Classic with a mild left ankle sprain and mild Achilles tendinitis, might be back in the lineup for Boston.

With left-hander Jamie Moyer making the start, the Phillies host the Yankees on Monday at 1:05 p.m. New York counters with Brett Tomko.

sigpic

Comment

• Bard sent to Minors, but he will return

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The radar guns at City of Palms Park can get a little bit of a breather now that top Red Sox prospect Daniel Bard has been reassigned to Minor League camp.

The move came after Sunday's game against the Phillies, in which Bard earned the save with yet another strong outing. The righty whose fastball hits triple digits at times and sits in the high 90s, fired 1 1/3 innings, striking out one.

In eight Grapefruit League outings, Bard didn't allow a run. He notched 12 strikeouts over 9 1/3 innings.

There seems to be no question of if Bard will wind up back with the Red Sox, but when. The 23-year-old is one of the elite relief prospects in the game.

"It's been unbelievable, just the opportunity to come up with this team and try to prove myself to the staff and the players," said Bard. "It's all I could ask for. Hopefully I opened some eyes and I'll go down to the Minor League camp and keep working hard and try to be prepared for whenever this team needs me."

There's no doubt eyes were opened.

"I think as an entire organization we're extremely excited about what he did, not just in the powerful stuff that he had, but the consistency and the strike throwing and his ability to make adjustments from pitch to pitch," said Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell. "There were a couple of times where it took him a hitter to regroup or gather himself, but what he did here in this camp has opened up a lot of eyes, and I think proved to himself that he's not far from pitching in the big leagues."

Under different circumstances, perhaps the Red Sox would have needed Bard now. But the way things are, they already have a stacked bullpen.

That said, Bard knows that attrition at the Major League level could lead to his promotion if he keeps on the upward track.

"I don't think they ever start with 12 pitchers and finish with the same 12 pitchers," Bard said. "I don't think that's ever happened. All I can do is be ready when the time comes."

When the Red Sox told Bard he was being sent to the Minors, the tone was decidedly encouraging.

"They said, 'Keep doing what you're doing,'" said Bard. "Outwork everyone down there and give it enough time, I'll be where I need to be. Any time you're getting big league hitters, it's going to build up confidence. I'll just take that with me to, I guess Pawtucket, and go from there."

sigpic

Comment

• Tazawa sent down, but Sox high on him

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Though Junichi Tazawa packed his bags for Minor League camp on Sunday morning after being optioned to Double-A Portland, it was abundantly clear that the transaction had nothing to do with his performance for the Red Sox during Spring Training.

The Japanese right-hander impressed the Red Sox with not only adapting seamlessly to a new culture, but by also throwing the ball in impressive fashion in his first month of professional baseball.

Tazawa pitched in five Grapefruit League games, striking out 10 over nine innings. He allowed just one run and walked one.

"Tazawa was lights-out," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "He commanded his fastball. His breaking ball was swing-and-miss. He had an extraordinary camp. He did well."

For the 22-year-old Tazawa, it was quite the leap from the Industrial League in Japan to life with the Boston Red Sox.

"From the Major League players, I got to learn what goes on and how they play. I could learn everything from them," Tazawa said. "Famous players are focusing on their preparation, so I got to learn how they manage their practice and training."

What does the righty need to complete his development and claim a locker at Fenway Park?

"He just needs experience," Francona said. "He needs to work out of the delivery more because he's been pretty much out of the stretch. He'll start working on the windup and getting his innings. Hopefully he'll just pick up where he left off, because he's been really, really good."

Earlier in camp, 39-year-old veteran Takashi Saito marveled at how his countryman was adapting to his new surroundings.

"I look at Tazawa and I think about when I was 23 years old and when I was a rookie, and I certainly wasn't that calm and collected," Saito said. "He's here in a camp surrounded by all these famous Major League ballplayers. He's keeping a very level head about him and putting in his work and working very hard. Compared to me 18 years ago, I think he's got it together really well."

"I knew I would be sent down someday," Tazawa said. "Despite that fact, I had a good experience here for a long time. I'm happy right now."

Short hops: Right-hander Michael Bowden, who had an inconsistent camp, was sent to Triple-A Pawtucket. Francona emphasized that the club is still high on Bowden, and didn't read much into his 7.59 ERA during the exhibition season. ... First baseman Kevin Youkilis (mild left ankle sprain, mild left Achilles' tendinitis) will play Monday against the Tigers in his first Grapefruit League game since March 1. ... Right-hander Brad Penny is on track for his Grapefruit League debut on Monday. ... John Smoltz continues to progress well and will be set free for his first side session of Spring Training on Wednesday morning.

sigpic

Comment

• Youkilis back in Sox's lineup Monday

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- With each day, the Red Sox seem to get a little healthier. First baseman Kevin Youkilis will be the latest player to return to the lineup, when he starts Monday's game against the Tigers.
                                Just like Dustin Pedroia, Youkilis was forced out of the World Baseball Classic with an injury. The other similarity is that the ailment didn't linger.

Pedroia was back from his left abdominal strain Friday, and he played again Sunday, belting two hits.

Youkilis had a mild sprain of his left ankle, and also mild Achilles tendinitis on that same foot. But in the past couple of days, he has done all baseball activities without the protective boot he had been wearing.

"Youk will probably get a couple of at-bats [Monday]," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "The thing we're staying away from, is the 3 1/2-hour game, it just wasn't doing him any good right now. That's just the way it is. We're not trying to drag a guy out of the [Classic], but for him to get a couple of at-bats and maybe play two or three days is probably just what he needs to get ready."

Right fielder J.D. Drew, who suffered a contusion of his right hand after being belted by a fastball on Friday, isn't quite ready to get back in a game. But he could play Wednesday in Sarasota, Fla.

While third baseman Mike Lowell, who underwent right hip surgery in October, made his return to the lineup March 10, Monday will mark the first time he's played on back-to-back days.

The right-handed-hitting third baseman certainly looked healthy enough Sunday, belting a two-run homer, his second of Spring Training. Perhaps the only thing Lowell needs to do is perfect his home run trot to lessen the barbs from the bench.

"Kind of the joke around here is that he's Kirk Gibson when he's running around the bases -- one of those deals," said Red Sox ace Josh Beckett.

Lowell's rebuttal to Beckett, his longtime teammate?

"I'm still faster than him," Lowell said.

Gibson or Beckett?

"Both," said Lowell.

All kidding aside, running prowess is never going to be a big part of Lowell's game. The main thing is that his hip feels better each day.

"I've been waking up good," Lowell said. "I don't feel stiff. Going through the same routine, stretching and getting warmed up and doing all the exercises, it's been working out really well. I think we're taking it more slowly just because we can. I think all things are pretty good so far."

"He's swinging the bat really well," Francona said. "And actually, he didn't forget how to field the ball, either. It's amazing how he just takes that little drop step and turns a tough hop into a double play. That's good to see."

Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X