Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sox keeping Masterson in rotation mix

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Under the baking sun at the Minor League complex on Thursday, Red Sox right-hander Justin Masterson -- the Swiss army knife of the Boston pitching staff -- again had his starters' hat on. The sinkerballer came pretty close to getting all the way stretched out, throwing 81 pitches over 4 2/3 innings against Cincinnati Reds Minor Leaguers.

So now what?

More intrigue, that's what.

Masterson will throw a side session on Saturday -- the same day Brad Penny makes his second Grapefruit League start.

Beyond that?

"To be announced," said Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell.

At the moment, Masterson and Penny are tied closely together. Can Penny be ready in time to start the season in the rotation? If not, Masterson will likely get the call on April 12 at Anaheim -- when the Red Sox first need a fifth starter. Clay Buchholz, who has had a superb Spring Training, is also in that mix.

"Not only [Penny's] health, but will he be ready for that start on the 12th, or do we take a more conservative approach that would create one or two starts for a fifth starter?" said Farrell. "Certainly Clay Buchholz is in that mix as well. Any final decision or determination will certainly come from [general manager] Theo [Epstein] or [manager Terry Francona], but that's part of the information gathering at this point for us."

Though Farrell, Francona and Epstein all spent what was an off-day for the Red Sox watching Masterson face Minor Leaguers, there isn't a whole lot more information they need to gather about him. Masterson proved last year in emphatic fashion that he is a solid Major League pitcher, no questions asked. His versatility is not complicating, but welcome.

"That's the coolest thing, that's the neatest thing," Masterson said. "We're standing here talking about whether or not I'm going to be starting or relieving and never has there been a mention of, 'Oh, am I going to be in the big leagues or Triple-A?' That's really cool that there's a spot, and it gives me some confidence as we go out here to just continue to get better even as we're continuing to get higher pitch counts and more innings."

Masterson had been a starter for basically his whole life until the Red Sox converted him to a reliever for the second half of last season, and he responded by being dominant both in the regular season and postseason.

Thursday's performance -- in which he gave up four hits and no runs while walking two and striking out six -- was his first truly lengthy performance since July 5 of last season, when he went six innings at Yankee Stadium.

"It was pretty enjoyable," Masterson said. "Warm day, felt good out here. It was fun to be out in the sun. Yeah, I was happy with the day. It's been a while since I've gone 4 2/3 innings, whatever it was.

"There is an oddness to, 'I'm going back out again, going back out again, going back out again', but I think it's nice," Masterson said. "Body-wise, I felt pretty good, even when I came to the end of the pitch count, so I'm excited to see what will still happen as we continue to evaluate."

The stretching-out process of this spring has allowed Masterson to become more of a pitcher again. He's had ample time to bring his changeup and slider back into his pitch mix.

"My slider feels really good," Masterson said. "My changeup -- overall, I feel good. There were about three or four today where I just took the whole body and left the arm behind. I did that on some sliders, too. But overall I'm really excited about what hopefully the stuff will be. I have confidence in the changeup and the slider, and hopefully I can carry that to the season."

If Masterson should get the call against the Angels, he clearly feels up to the task.

"I'd love to think so," Masterson said. "I feel good. Everything is coming out of the hand well, aside from the few times where I just want to get under the ball and not do what I'm supposed to do. Aside from that, I feel strong and I think I'll be able to help the team out for five, six, seven -- whatever we need."

And he added one more thing.

"As long as everything is put together and we can have a winning season this year, I'm going to be happy," Masterson said.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

• and that doesn;t even mention that smoltz wants to pitch

one thing is for sure, the sox are loaded with very good starting pitching...there will be no excuse for not being in the mix from start to finish this year...though i'm expecting much more than that

Comment

• Going to the Sox-Braves in Orlando on Monday for "work"!!!!!

I can't wait.
        My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Comment

• Originally posted by kmcgough25 View Post
          Going to the Sox-Braves in Orlando on Monday for "work"!!!!!

I can't wait.

work? pretty sweet...what does work entail?

Comment

• Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
            and that doesn;t even mention that smoltz wants to pitch

one thing is for sure, the sox are loaded with very good starting pitching...there will be no excuse for not being in the mix from start to finish this year...though i'm expecting much more than that
            Our pitching wasn't that bad last year. We hurt in the middle of the lineup. With Varitek in a slump, Ortiz not being at his best and Lowell being hurt really made the difference for us in our failure to go deeper into the play-offs
            The key position where we need some solid and consistent production this year will be; SS, RF, C, and 3B
            sigpic
            I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

• Bay will continue to where he left off last season so no need to worry about RF.

As far a 3B goes, from what I have seen and read Lowell, is back.

Tek, is also looking good in Spring Training, so I am not concerced with him.

The olny question mark I see is SS, but with Lugo out for the first few week, this gives Lowry the chace to prove himself.

sigpic

Comment

• Boston 11, St. Louis 8

Boston AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
                Ellsbury, CF 6 1 2 0 0 0 3 .245
                Pedroia, 2B 4 3 2 1 0 0 3 .400
                Velazquez, 2B 2 1 1 0 0 0 0 .294
                Ortiz, DH 4 0 2 1 0 0 3 .310
                a-Kottaras, G, PH-DH 2 1 1 0 0 1 0 .292
                Youkilis, 1B 3 0 1 2 1 0 1 .250
                1-Bailey, PR-1B 2 0 0 0 0 2 2 .366
                Drew, RF 4 0 2 0 0 0 2 .222
                2-Ambres, PR-RF 2 1 1 3 0 0 0 .133
                Lowell, 3B 3 0 0 0 1 1 4 .280
                Chavez, A, 3B 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 .273
                Bay, LF 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 .250
                Carter, LF 4 1 2 0 0 2 0 .362
                Varitek, C 3 1 2 2 0 0 0 .194
                Brown, C 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 .333
                Green, N, SS 5 1 3 0 0 2 2 .364
                Totals 47 11 21 10 2 8 23

a-Struck out for Ortiz in the 8th.
                1-Ran for Youkilis in the 6th. 2-Ran for Drew in the 6th.

BATTING
                2B: Pedroia (3, Lohse), Kottaras, G (2, Gonzalez, M).
                HR: Varitek (3, 6th inning off Lohse, 1 on, 0 out), Ambres (2, 10th inning off Gonzalez, M, 2 on, 2 out).
                TB: Ellsbury 2; Pedroia 3; Velazquez; Ortiz 2; Kottaras, G 2; Youkilis; Drew 2; Ambres 4; Chavez, A; Carter 2; Varitek 5; Brown; Green, N 3.
                RBI: Pedroia (3), Ortiz (7), Youkilis 2 (3), Varitek 2 (12), Brown (5), Ambres 3 (5).
                2-out RBI: Youkilis; Ambres 3.
                Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Ortiz; Lowell.
                SF: Brown.
                GIDP: Bay; Lowell; Ellsbury.
                Team LOB: 10.

FIELDING
                E: Chavez, A (1, throw), Brown (2, missed catch).
                Outfield assists: Ambres (Rowlett at home).

Boston IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
                Beckett 6.0 6 4 4 1 4 1 2.63
                Saito (H, 6) 1.0 2 0 0 0 1 0 2.00
                Ramirez, R (H, 2) 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4.82
                Rodriguez, F (BS, 1) 0.0 3 4 2 2 0 0 --
                Cabrera, F 1.0 0 0 0 0 2 0 7.20
                Maxwell (W, 1-0) 1.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00

sigpic

Comment

• first of all Jason Bay plays Left Field not right that would be J.D. Drew who did just fine last year until he got hurt.

What Boston should've done is trade that worthless Shortstop Lugo when Detroit wanted him he has little to no bat and his horrible in the field why did he get a four year contract again ?

who are we trying to fool Ortiz hasn't been "Big Papi" in like three years he went from hitting 51 homers to 34 then 23 we need to get ride of him cause no one fears him anymore in the ALCS he was Horrible he struck out almost every at bat

but from what i hear he's back to his old ways so who knows

Curt Schilling Red Sox Nation 2004-2007 thanks for everything Curt -K.A.L.S.

"I Can't Think Of A Better Thing Then Making 55,000 People From New York Shut Up" - Curt Schilling

Comment

• Originally posted by #1snake_fan View Post
                    first of all Jason Bay plays Left Field not right that would be J.D. Drew who did just fine last year until he got hurt.

What Boston should've done is trade that worthless Shortstop Lugo when Detroit wanted him he has little to no bat and his horrible in the field why did he get a four year contract again ?

who are we trying to fool Ortiz hasn't been "Big Papi" in like three years he went from hitting 51 homers to 34 then 23 we need to get ride of him cause no one fears him anymore in the ALCS he was Horrible he struck out almost every at bat

but from what i hear he's back to his old ways so who knows

Curt Schilling Red Sox Nation 2004-2007 thanks for everything Curt -K.A.L.S.

"I Can't Think Of A Better Thing Then Making 55,000 People From New York Shut Up" - Curt Schilling
                    lugo will be very helpful this season...mark my words

about ortiz, his 2007 season, when he hit the 35 homers, was by far the best season of his career. he batted .332, obp .445 and slugged .621....home runs are waaaaay overrated, i'll take that 35 hr season over his 54 hr season every time

and last season ortiz was hurt so i'm counting on a rebound year...even last year he still hit homeruns at a normal clip, he just didn't play much...but i do agree that he had a rough post season

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                      Bay will continue to where he left off last season so no need to worry about RF.

As far a 3B goes, from what I have seen and read Lowell, is back.

Tek, is also looking good in Spring Training, so I am not concerced with him.

The olny question mark I see is SS, but with Lugo out for the first few week, this gives Lowry the chace to prove himself.
                      Bay plays LF. He took over Manny, remember?
                      At RF JD Drew could be good, he just needs to keep from getting injured
                      At SS, we always seem to have some good gloves at that position, just not ebough batting power. I liked Lowery last year as well
                      Speaking of SS, who is that guy N. Green who's played SS?
                      I noticed he's batted .364. Not too shabby...
                      sigpic
                      I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

• Sorry about that, my dyslexia kicked on on LF vs RF. That being said I am not worried about Drew.

sigpic

Comment

• Red Sox tab Beckett for Opening Day

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Red Sox will come out of the gate with their ace, as manager Terry Francona confirmed Saturday morning that Josh Beckett will draw the start for the April 6 Opener against the Tampa Bay Rays.
                          Though Beckett has started three times on Opening Day in his career, this will mark the first time he's done so in four years, and the first since he joined the Red Sox.

"It would be a great honor," Beckett said Friday. "Obviously it's something that you're always striving for when you get to the big leagues. That's something you look forward to, and it's something I'm definitely looking forward to."

Jon Lester will start the season's second game, on April 8, and Daisuke Matsuzaka will close out the brief homestand by pitching the finale against the Rays. Veteran knuckleballer Tim Wakefield will open the six-game West Coast swing at Anaheim on April 10. Presumably, Beckett will come back the next day on four days' rest.

It is on April 12 that the Red Sox first need a fifth starter. Brad Penny will draw that assignment if the Red Sox feel he is stretched out enough. Saturday marked Penny's second Grapefruit League start, and fourth outing overall this spring. He will get another turn on Thursday against the Twins, Boston's last game in Florida.

One person who has been ruled out for that turn is Justin Masterson, who has officially been moved to the bullpen.

Masterson had been working as a starter this spring and was stretched out to 4 2/3 innings in a Minor League game on Wednesday. But he will re-acclimate to life as a reliever with a two-inning stint for Tuesday's Grapefruit League contest against the Rays.

The Red Sox thought it was productive for Masterson's development for him to get stretched out this spring, and it also kept their options open in case they needed a fifth starter.

"We kept checking with him and telling him where we were at," Francona said. "If we ever thought it was counterproductive, we wouldn't have done it. He's a solid kid and he understands."

Masterson was a force for the Red Sox in the bullpen for the second half of last season and into the postseason, so there will be no adjustment period necessary for the sinkerballer.

If the Red Sox feel Penny needs more time, Clay Buchholz -- he of the 0.47 ERA this spring -- is all but certain to take the April 12 turn at Anaheim.

"I don't blame you for reading between the lines. I' m probably not going to talk between the lines," quipped Francona.

But Buchholz -- who had a nightmarish 2008 season -- has been one of the best stories of camp thus far. He has seemingly regained his status as one of the top pitching prospects in the game.

"The closer you get to breaking with the team, it creates some anxiety. At the same time, he's done a terrific job," Francona said. "I think he's been real mature about the whole thing but you can't tell guys things you don't know."

Buchholz will start Tuesday, by which point the Red Sox might have his role resolved.

sigpic

Comment

• Sox power past Twins for Mayor's Cup

RED SOX 9, TWINS 4

Red Sox at the plate: The Red Sox belted three homers in the bottom of the third inning, starting with a three-run shot by Rocco Baldelli. It was the first of the spring for the backup outfielder. David Ortiz went opposite field for a two-run blast. Jason Bay unloaded for a two-run homer to cap the damage against Twins lefty Francisco Liriano. George Kottaras added an RBI double in the sixth.

Twins at the plate: Joe Crede ripped an RBI double and Justin Morneau added an RBI single, pacing a two-run first. Matt Tolbert drilled a two-run homer against Javier Lopez in the fifth.

Red Sox on the mound: Brad Penny, making his second Grapefruit League start, scattered four hits over four innings, allowing two hits. He threw 68 pitches. Lefty Hideki Okajima pitched 1 2/3 scoreless innings and didn't allow a baserunner.

Twins on the mound: Liriano had a day he'd like to forget, surrendering seven runs over three innings. The lefty walked three and struck out five, throwing 75 pitches. Closer Joe Nathan worked one scoreless inning, allowing one hit.

Grapefruit League records: Red Sox 16-11; Twins 14-12

Up next: The Red Sox travel to Clearwater, Fla., on Sunday afternoon to face the Phillies at 1:05 ET. Jon Lester will make the start. Closer Jonathan Papelbon is also expected to pitch. Jason Varitek, Jed Lowrie, J.D. Drew and Jacoby Ellsbury are among the regulars likely to be on the trip.

Baldelli, CF 4 1 1 3 0 3 2 .188
                            Ambres, CF 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .129
                            Pedroia, 2B 3 1 1 0 1 0 1 .391
                            Marks, RF 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1.000
                            Ortiz, DH 3 1 1 2 0 1 2 .313
                            a-Carter, PH-DH 2 0 0 0 0 1 1 .350
                            Youkilis, 1B 2 0 0 0 2 1 0 .222
                            2-Bailey, PR-1B 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 .357
                            Lowell, 3B 3 1 1 0 0 1 1 .286
                            Chavez, A, 3B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .273
                            3-Khoury, PR-3B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
                            Bay, LF 3 1 1 2 1 1 0 .258
                            4-Velazquez, PR-2B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .294
                            Lowrie, SS 1 1 0 0 2 1 0 .400
                            1-Navarro, PR-SS 1 1 0 0 0 0 3 .000
                            Kottaras, G, C 2 1 1 1 0 0 0 .308
                            Brown, C 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 .333
                            Green, N, RF-2B-LF 3 0 0 0 1 1 6 .345
                            Totals 30 9 7 9 8 11 17

a-Grounded out for Ortiz in the 7th.
                            1-Ran for Lowrie in the 6th. 2-Ran for Youkilis in the 7th. 3-Ran for Chavez, A in the 7th. 4-Ran for Bay in the 7th.

BATTING
                            2B: Kottaras, G (3, Humber).
                            HR: Baldelli (1, 3rd inning off Liriano, 2 on, 1 out), Ortiz (3, 3rd inning off Liriano, 1 on, 1 out), Bay (3, 3rd inning off Liriano, 1 on, 2 out).
                            TB: Baldelli 4; Pedroia; Marks; Ortiz 4; Lowell; Bay 4; Kottaras, G 2.
                            RBI: Baldelli 3 (7), Ortiz 2 (9), Bay 2 (6), Kottaras, G (6), Brown (6).
                            2-out RBI: Bay 2; Brown.
                            Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Ortiz; Pedroia; Green, N 2.
                            GIDP: Lowell.
                            Team LOB: 7.

Penny (W, 1-0) 4.0 4 2 2 0 0 0 2.57
                            Lopez, J 1.0 3 2 2 0 0 1 5.40
                            Okajima (H, 4) 1.2 0 0 0 0 0 0 2.53
                            Hansack 2.1 1 0 0 0 2 0 4.66

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                              work? pretty sweet...what does work entail?
                              Entertaining clients!!
                              My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Comment

• Boston 3, Philadelphia 1

Ellsbury, CF 3 1 1 1 1 0 0 .250
                                Lowrie, SS 4 0 0 0 0 2 1 .370
                                Tejeda, SS 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
                                Drew, RF 4 1 1 0 0 2 0 .226
                                Varitek, C 3 0 1 0 0 1 0 .205
                                Exposito, C 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .333
                                Carter, 1B 4 1 2 1 0 0 2 .359
                                Bailey, LF 3 0 1 1 0 0 0 .356
                                1-Danielson, PR 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
                                Kalish, LF 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .500
                                Kottaras, G, DH 3 0 0 0 0 2 2 .276
                                a-Hee, PH-DH 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000
                                Jimenez, 3B 3 0 1 0 0 1 0 .333
                                Suarez, 3B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
                                Velazquez, 2B 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 .270
                                Totals 32 3 7 3 1 8 8

a-Grounded out for Kottaras, G in the 9th.
                                1-Ran for Bailey in the 9th.

BATTING
                                2B: Bailey (6, Madson).
                                HR: Carter (6, 2nd inning off Blanton, 0 on, 1 out), Ellsbury (2, 8th inning off Durbin, C, 0 on, 2 out).
                                TB: Ellsbury 4; Drew; Varitek; Carter 5; Bailey 2; Jimenez.
                                RBI: Carter (10), Bailey (8), Ellsbury (5).
                                2-out RBI: Ellsbury.
                                Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Hee 2.
                                SF: Bailey.
                                GIDP: Velazquez.
                                Team LOB: 4.

FIELDING
                                DP: 2 (Velazquez-Carter, Velazquez-Tejeda-Carter).

Lester (W, 2-0) 5.0 6 1 1 4 5 0 1.72
                                Papelbon (H, 3) 1.0 0 0 0 2 2 0 4.00
                                Ramirez, R (H, 3) 1.0 0 0 0 0 2 0 4.35
                                Delcarmen (S, 1) 2.0 2 0 0 1 0 0 3.86

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X