No announcement yet.

Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i picked this up off another message board so i have no idea where it came from or how old it is...

Ramirez won't rule out Red Sox reunion
    Hanley Ramirez | Marlins
    While star shortstop Hanley Ramirez enjoys playing for the Marlins, he wouldn't rule out a return trip to the Red Sox organization, where he began his pro career in 2000, the Boston Herald reported.

"You never know," Ramirez told the newspaper "I don't know how many years I'm going to be in this game. I just try to do my best every day. I don't know where I'm going to end up. For me, what happens, happens. I got traded in '05, so now I just try to look forward to try to go the World Series. I can get traded tomorrow, but I'm not thinking about that. I'm just thinking about the present and where I am right now."

The Herald reported that the Red Sox approached Florida last November to see if they could put together a package of young players and prospects to land Ramirez, whom they dealt in a multi-player swap in November of 2005 to land right-hander Josh Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell.

In response to the Red Sox' inquiry, the Marlins reportedly were interested in a package that included center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury and pitcher Clay Buchholz, but the talks didn't get far on either side.

This season, Ramirez's salary is a relatively modest $5.5 million. When the money escalates to $11 million for the 2011 season, many in baseball believe the trade talk surrounding Ramirez will intensify. Ramirez' contract does not have a no-trade provision.

Comment

• That would be a horrid trade.
      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
        FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Red Sox will come out of the gate with their ace, as manager Terry Francona confirmed Saturday morning that Josh Beckett will draw the start for the April 6 Opener against the Tampa Bay Rays.
        Though Beckett has started three times on Opening Day in his career, this will mark the first time he's done so in four years, and the first since he joined the Red Sox.

"It would be a great honor," Beckett said Friday. "Obviously it's something that you're always striving for when you get to the big leagues. That's something you look forward to, and it's something I'm definitely looking forward to."

Jon Lester will start the season's second game, on April 8, and Daisuke Matsuzaka will close out the brief homestand by pitching the finale against the Rays. Veteran knuckleballer Tim Wakefield will open the six-game West Coast swing at Anaheim on April 10. Presumably, Beckett will come back the next day on four days' rest.

It is on April 12 that the Red Sox first need a fifth starter. Brad Penny will draw that assignment if the Red Sox feel he is stretched out enough. Saturday marked Penny's second Grapefruit League start, and fourth outing overall this spring. He will get another turn on Thursday against the Twins, Boston's last game in Florida.

One person who has been ruled out for that turn is Justin Masterson, who has officially been moved to the bullpen.

Masterson had been working as a starter this spring and was stretched out to 4 2/3 innings in a Minor League game on Wednesday. But he will re-acclimate to life as a reliever with a two-inning stint for Tuesday's Grapefruit League contest against the Rays.

The Red Sox thought it was productive for Masterson's development for him to get stretched out this spring, and it also kept their options open in case they needed a fifth starter.

"We kept checking with him and telling him where we were at," Francona said. "If we ever thought it was counterproductive, we wouldn't have done it. He's a solid kid and he understands."

Masterson was a force for the Red Sox in the bullpen for the second half of last season and into the postseason, so there will be no adjustment period necessary for the sinkerballer.

If the Red Sox feel Penny needs more time, Clay Buchholz -- he of the 0.47 ERA this spring -- is all but certain to take the April 12 turn at Anaheim.

"I don't blame you for reading between the lines. I' m probably not going to talk between the lines," quipped Francona.

But Buchholz -- who had a nightmarish 2008 season -- has been one of the best stories of camp thus far. He has seemingly regained his status as one of the top pitching prospects in the game.

"The closer you get to breaking with the team, it creates some anxiety. At the same time, he's done a terrific job," Francona said. "I think he's been real mature about the whole thing but you can't tell guys things you don't know."

Buchholz will start Tuesday, by which point the Red Sox might have his role resolved.
        I'm happy with the quality of pitching in our rotation
        It's super nice to see Beckett still be out #1 starter. He's as solid as it can be
        sigpic
        I've started with almost nothing and still got most of it

Comment

• If Buchholtz, pitches the why he did during Spring Training, with Smoltz waiting in the Wings will have the best staff in the Bigs.

sigpic

Comment

• Atlanta 4, Boston 3

Boston AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG
            Baldelli, DH 4 1 1 2 0 2 3 .194
            a-Bermudez, PH-DH 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .000
            Pedroia, 2B 4 0 1 1 0 0 1 .370
            Negron, 2B 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .000
            Bay, LF 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 .235
            Corsaletti, LF 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000
            Youkilis, 1B 3 0 1 0 0 1 0 .238
            Rizzo, 1B 2 0 0 0 0 1 3 .000
            Lowell, 3B 3 0 1 0 0 1 1 .290
            Dent, SS 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 .500
            Green, S, SS-3B 3 0 0 0 1 1 2 .000
            Ambres, CF 3 2 1 0 1 1 3 .147
            Brown, C 3 0 1 0 0 1 3 .333
            Wagner, C 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 .333
            Lin, C, RF 4 0 1 0 0 1 3 .250
            Totals 38 3 8 3 3 12 21

a-Struck out for Baldelli in the 9th.

BATTING
            2B: Pedroia (4, Acosta).
            HR: Baldelli (2, 5th inning off Kawakami, 1 on, 2 out).
            TB: Baldelli 4; Pedroia 2; Youkilis; Lowell; Dent; Ambres; Brown; Lin, C.
            RBI: Baldelli 2 (9), Pedroia (4).
            2-out RBI: Baldelli 2; Pedroia.
            Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Brown; Rizzo 2.
            Team LOB: 8.

FIELDING
            E: Youkilis (1, fielding).
            DP: (Lowell-Youkilis).

Boston IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
            Matsuzaka 5.0 2 2 1 3 2 0 1.80
            Gonzalez, En 3.0 3 0 0 1 1 0 10.38
            Cabrera, F (BS, 2) 1.0 2 1 1 0 1 0 7.50
            Cox (L, 0-1) 0.1 2 1 1 0 0 0 27.00

sigpic

Comment

• Smoltz catches up with ex-teammates

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- John Smoltz wasn't ready to pitch when he and his Red Sox teammates visited Disney's Wide World of Sports complex on Monday. But the veteran hurler still made the trip to spend some time with his former Braves teammates before going to enjoy a round of golf with Tiger Woods.
              After spending the past 22 seasons in the Braves organization, Smoltz provided a surprising revelation in January when he announced that he had decided to sign with the Red Sox.

When he arrived in the Braves' clubhouse early morning to chat with manager Bobby Cox and many of his other former teammates, Smoltz felt somewhat awkward.

"There are definitely a lot of memories," Smoltz said. "From a distance, I'm keeping up with what's going on. When we get closer to June, it really will be different. Transition-wise, everything is going well."

Coming off major right shoulder surgery, Smoltz isn't scheduled to join Boston's starting rotation until June. The 42-year-old right-hander began throwing off a mound again last week, and based on early indications, he feels confident that he can enjoy at least one more productive season at the Major League level.

"He'll pitch and he'll pitch good," Cox said.

While recording 210 wins and 154 saves during 20 seasons with the Braves, Smoltz established himself as one of the organization's all-time greatest pitchers, and there was reason to believe he'd spend his entire career in Atlanta.

But the Red Sox lured Smoltz away from Atlanta by providing him a guarantee of $5.5 million with the understanding that they didn't intend for him to pitch until June. With this timetable, he'll have the opportunity to exercise incentives that could increase the contract value to $10 million.

Needing to restock their rotation with a guarantee greater than the one Smoltz's surgically-repaired shoulder was able to provide, the Braves offered a contract that included a guarantee of approximately $2 million.

The incentive package provided the opportunity maximize the contract's value at $12 million. But to exercise all of these incentives, the veteran pitcher would have had to begin the season in the starting rotation.

Smoltz believes the Braves should have shown a greater interest. But as time has passed, he's grown comfortable with the fact that he's been given the opportunity to be part of Boston's great tradition.

"I'll always be a part of [the Braves organization]," Smoltz said. "But for it to work for me, I've got to move on. Sometimes I get caught up in the 'us,' and that's a big mistake there. You've got to remember not to make that mistake and allow guys to bust your chops. I used to do it with other guys."

While Smoltz has attempted to move on, he admits that he has kept close tabs on how Jeff Francoeur, Tom Glavine and Chipper Jones are faring in Braves camp.

More than 20 years since they were first introduced during Spring Training with the Braves, Smoltz and Glavine were reunited again on Monday morning.

"I walked in, saw him on the trainer's table and said, 'OK, you're right where you need to be,'" Smoltz said.

Attempting to return from an August surgical procedure that repaired his left shoulder and left elbow, Glavine has been keeping opponents off-balance with a fastball that has rested around 80 mph. But the 43-year-old southpaw hasn't allowed a run in his first seven Grapefruit League innings.

"He's blowing them away," Smoltz said with a smile. "Jamie Moyer has nothing on him."

When the Red Sox travel to Turner Field in June, Smoltz hopes to once again be able to perform effectively in front of a fan base that remained loyal to him throughout the past two decades.

But more importantly, he's looking forward to the challenge of appeasing a Boston fan base that might not be as forgiving if he struggles upon his return to the mound.

"If you stay in one place, I always say that you're given a pass," Smoltz said. "When you go to a new place, you're not really afforded that."

sigpic

Comment

• Boston 8, Tampa Bay 7

Ellsbury, CF 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 .255
                Ambres, CF 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 .143
                Pedroia, 2B 3 1 1 1 0 0 0 .367
                Velazquez, 2B 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 .289
                Ortiz, DH 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 .294
                a-Baldelli, PH-DH 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .189
                Youkilis, 1B 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 .208
                Carter, 1B 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 .354
                Drew, RF 2 0 1 0 1 0 0 .242
                1-Place, PR-RF 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 .000
                Bay, LF 2 0 1 1 0 1 0 .250
                2-Green, N, PR-LF 1 2 1 2 0 0 0 .356
                Lowell, 3B 3 0 0 0 0 0 4 .265
                3-Chavez, A, PR-3B 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 .294
                Lowrie, SS 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 .351
                Negron, SS 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000
                Varitek, C 4 1 2 3 0 0 2 .233
                Apodaca, C 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
                Totals 31 8 9 8 4 3 12

a-Grounded out for Ortiz in the 8th.
                1-Ran for Drew in the 7th. 2-Ran for Bay in the 7th. 3-Ran for Lowell in the 7th.

BATTING
                2B: Ellsbury (3, Sonnanstine), Pedroia (5, Sonnanstine), Velazquez (3, Balfour), Green, N (4, Balfour).
                HR: Varitek (4, 7th inning off Sonnanstine, 2 on, 2 out).
                TB: Ellsbury 2; Pedroia 2; Velazquez 2; Drew; Bay; Green, N 2; Chavez, A; Varitek 5.
                RBI: Pedroia (5), Bay (7), Varitek 3 (15), Green, N 2 (10), Chavez, A (3).
                2-out RBI: Varitek 3; Green, N 2; Chavez, A.
                Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Lowell; Varitek.
                SF: Bay.
                Team LOB: 4.

FIELDING
                Pickoffs: Buchholz (Zobrist at 1st base).

Buchholz 5.1 9 6 6 1 4 2 2.52
                Masterson (W, 2-0) 2.2 1 1 1 0 3 1 2.45
                Ramirez, R (S, 1) 1.0 1 0 0 1 0 0 3.97

sigpic

Comment

• Boston 4, Pittsburgh 3

Ellsbury, CF 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 .259
                  Mailman, CF 2 0 1 0 0 1 1 .333
                  Pedroia, 2B 3 0 0 0 0 1 1 .333
                  Chavez, A, 2B 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .294
                  Carter, 1B 4 1 1 0 0 2 2 .348
                  Baldelli, DH 3 1 2 0 0 0 0 .225
                  a-Dening, PH-DH 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000
                  Lowrie, SS 3 0 0 0 0 2 3 .333
                  Garcia, SS 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 .000
                  Kottaras, G, C 3 0 1 0 0 1 2 .281
                  Exposito, C 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .250
                  Ambres, LF 3 2 3 4 1 0 0 .211
                  Kalish, RF 3 0 0 0 1 0 3 .200
                  Velazquez, 3B 4 0 0 0 0 1 2 .262
                  Suarez, 3B 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .000
                  Totals 33 4 9 4 4 8 17

a-Walked for Baldelli in the 8th.

BATTING
                  2B: Kottaras, G (4, Maholm), Ambres (2, Mateo, J).
                  HR: Ambres 2 (4, 4th inning off Maholm, 2 on, 2 out; 9th inning off Haigwood, D, 0 on, 1 out).
                  TB: Ellsbury; Mailman; Carter; Baldelli 2; Kottaras, G 2; Ambres 10.
                  RBI: Ambres 4 (9).
                  2-out RBI: Ambres 3.
                  Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Kalish; Velazquez; Mailman.
                  GIDP: Pedroia; Lowrie; Garcia.
                  Team LOB: 6.

BASERUNNING
                  SB: Kalish (2, 2nd base off Haigwood, D/Jaramillo, J).

FIELDING
                  E: Lowrie (5, throw).

Beckett 3.2 7 3 3 1 4 1 3.25
                  Lopez, J 2.1 0 0 0 0 2 0 3.68
                  Delcarmen 1.0 1 0 0 1 1 0 3.55
                  Papelbon (W, 2-0) 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 3.60
                  George (S, 1) 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.00

sigpic

Comment

• I'm watching Schill's Last Game as a Red Sox legend 10/25/2007

2007 World Series Rocks V. Sox

THANK YOU CURT we'll miss you

38 Hall Of Fame Class of 2014

Comment

• He is a LEGEND!!! Do you think his number will be retired?

Personal I don't he was not in Boston long enough (Normally with the Sox you have to be there for 10 years min).

sigpic

Comment

• i don't think so even though he was such a huge part of our World Series Championships he'll just be remember as

SCHILLING THE YANKEE KILLER

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                          He is a LEGEND!!! Do you think his number will be retired?

Personal I don't he was not in Boston long enough (Normally with the Sox you have to be there for 10 years min).
                          no chance...the sox have strict rules about how to retire numbers...you have to be elected to the mlb hof and have played for the sox for 10 years....it's a sore subject for many boston fans because they feel that dwight evans' #24 should be up there but because he's not in the hall of fame he can't have his number retired

Comment

• these are the numbers i cant wait to see get retired

with how Pedroia has played so far in his career it's only a matter of time until he's a superstar ... oh wait

With pap only being 23 saves away from being the all time SOX saves leader i'd say it'll happen some day

Tek probably won't make the Hall Of Fame but he's still our Captain

i can see Beckett geting his number retired (speaking of Beckett his contract is up after next season)

and Lester what more can you say about this kid

Cancer survivor - check

World Series Champion - check

NO Hitter - check

Comment

• TICK TOCK ... TICK TOCK

the countdown begins 3 more days

Monday 2:07 pm ESPN or ESPN 2 i don't remember

Beckett V. Kazmir

Comment

• It is not being carried in Dever, ESPN is showing the Yankees.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X