Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman becomes free agent

    Memo to Theo...


    NEW YORK — The bidding can begin for Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman.

    The 21-year-old pitcher has been declared a free agent by Major League Baseball, allowing teams to start pursuing the hard-throwing lefty.

    Chapman defected in July during a tournament in the Netherlands and established provisional residency in Andorra, allowing him to bypass the amateur draft.

    "It has been a dream of mine to pitch in the major leagues," he said in a statement issued Friday by his agent, Edwin Mejia.

    The New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox are expected to push hard to sign him.

    Chapman played for Cuba in this year's World Baseball Classic. With a 100 mph fastball, he is considered by scouts to be among the top pitching prospects in the world.
    SIGN HIM!!!!
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

    Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

    Comment


    • Theres a thread about him on this yankee site that I'm on^. Yankee fans want him also.

      Comment


      • This isn't talking smack (I'm not into that), though it's about a player I never cared for. What happened to Varitek? 7 SB Friday night wasn't all on him.... Lester and co. were pretty much ignoring our baserunners, but I'm stunned looking at the season totals: 107 SB 15 CS. Major league average is roughly 25%.

        Posada was awful last season, with just over 16% CS, but he was playing with a torn labrum. After surgery, he has bounced back, jumping to nearly 30%. Varitek's decline has been alarming: from just under 25% in 2007 to 22% in 2008 to less than 13% this season. Add in his .208 BA and his .313 OBP (
        .313 in consecutive years) and, were I a sox fan, I'd want to see the end of his days playing for my team.

        Yankees fans have been awfully lucky to see Posada maintain his level of play over the years. He turned 38 last month, yet he's still producing: 22 HR 81 RBI (in only 371 AB) and his 2008 numbers (.286 BA/.363 OBP/.528 SLG) trump his career averages (.277/.379/.481 21 HR 83 RBI).

        Don't get me wrong, Varitek is 37 and has had a very long career for a C, but do you sox fans want him back in 2010?
        My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com




        R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

        Comment


        • Originally posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
          Theres a thread about him on this yankee site that I'm on^. Yankee fans want him also.
          Seeing in Pinstripes scares the snot out of me.
          Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

          Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
          sigpic

          Comment


          • Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
            This isn't talking smack (I'm not into that), though it's about a player I never cared for. What happened to Varitek? 7 SB Friday night wasn't all on him.... Lester and co. were pretty much ignoring our baserunners, but I'm stunned looking at the season totals: 107 SB 15 CS. Major league average is roughly 25%.

            Posada was awful last season, with just over 16% CS, but he was playing with a torn labrum. After surgery, he has bounced back, jumping to nearly 30%. Varitek's decline has been alarming: from just under 25% in 2007 to 22% in 2008 to less than 13% this season. Add in his .208 BA and his .313 OBP (
            .313 in consecutive years) and, were I a sox fan, I'd want to see the end of his days playing for my team.

            Yankees fans have been awfully lucky to see Posada maintain his level of play over the years. He turned 38 last month, yet he's still producing: 22 HR 81 RBI (in only 371 AB) and his 2008 numbers (.286 BA/.363 OBP/.528 SLG) trump his career averages (.277/.379/.481 21 HR 83 RBI).

            Don't get me wrong, Varitek is 37 and has had a very long career for a C, but do you sox fans want him back in 2010?
            I LOVE Tek!!! I can't say that enough! He has been the heart and soul of our team for years. I have more of his jersey then any other player (as far as baseball jersey go, Elway is still the over all leader). That being said, as much as I hate to say it, but he has to go. Or atleast take a GREATLY reduced role as catcher. I hope he stays on as a coach. NO ONE knows opposing pitcher better then him.
            Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

            Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
            sigpic

            Comment


            • Not to talk smack...... (okay well its a lil bit of smack directed at Snakefan) .. or w/e his name is.

              Talking trash to me after being 8-0.

              Series is all tied at 9 for the year though.

              But with that said, I do hope to play Boston in the ALCS. And the series can be tied 12-12 going in to game 7.

              Damn, gets me nervous just thinking about it.

              Best of luck

              Comment


              • Originally posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
                Not to talk smack...... (okay well its a lil bit of smack directed at Snakefan) .. or w/e his name is.

                Talking trash to me after being 8-0.

                Series is all tied at 9 for the year though.

                But with that said, I do hope to play Boston in the ALCS. And the series can be tied 12-12 going in to game 7.

                Damn, gets me nervous just thinking about it.

                Best of luck
                Me too. The Sox have been schizophrenic this year, if the team the won eight in row shows up the Yanks don't have a prayer. Then agian if the team the struggled after the AS break shows we are up stinky creek with out a paddle.
                Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

                Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                sigpic

                Comment


                • Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
                  This isn't talking smack (I'm not into that), though it's about a player I never cared for. What happened to Varitek? 7 SB Friday night wasn't all on him.... Lester and co. were pretty much ignoring our baserunners, but I'm stunned looking at the season totals: 107 SB 15 CS. Major league average is roughly 25%.

                  Posada was awful last season, with just over 16% CS, but he was playing with a torn labrum. After surgery, he has bounced back, jumping to nearly 30%. Varitek's decline has been alarming: from just under 25% in 2007 to 22% in 2008 to less than 13% this season. Add in his .208 BA and his .313 OBP (
                  .313 in consecutive years) and, were I a sox fan, I'd want to see the end of his days playing for my team.

                  Yankees fans have been awfully lucky to see Posada maintain his level of play over the years. He turned 38 last month, yet he's still producing: 22 HR 81 RBI (in only 371 AB) and his 2008 numbers (.286 BA/.363 OBP/.528 SLG) trump his career averages (.277/.379/.481 21 HR 83 RBI).

                  Don't get me wrong, Varitek is 37 and has had a very long career for a C, but do you sox fans want him back in 2010?
                  it's pretty simple really, i think tek is just at the end of the line...he's had a great career but clearly the time has come...and thankfully theo went out and got one of the best offensive catchers in the league to replace him....tek can come back as the backup as far as i'm concerned but hopefully he'll retire and the sox can sign or trade for a solid guy to either become the starter (move youk to 3rd and martinez to 1st) or be a good defensive replacement

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                    it's pretty simple really, i think tek is just at the end of the line...he's had a great career but clearly the time has come...and thankfully theo went out and got one of the best offensive catchers in the league to replace him....tek can come back as the backup as far as i'm concerned but hopefully he'll retire and the sox can sign or trade for a solid guy to either become the starter (move youk to 3rd and martinez to 1st) or be a good defensive replacement
                    Don't forget about Lars Anderson when he makes it up to The Show.
                    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

                    Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                      Don't forget about Lars Anderson when he makes it up to The Show.
                      the problem is that i don;t think martinez is that great of a defensive catcher either...and if he's forced to catch every day it may hurt his offensive numbers...should be another interesting off season for the sox

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                        the problem is that i don;t think martinez is that great of a defensive catcher either...and if he's forced to catch every day it may hurt his offensive numbers...should be another interesting off season for the sox
                        I wonder if Salty (not bugger) and Mauer are still on our radar?
                        Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

                        Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                          I wonder if Salty (not bugger) and Mauer are still on our radar?
                          i find it hard to believe that the twins will let mauer walk and if they did the yankees would probably way overpay to get him

                          and saltalamacchia was not good this year...he threw some runners out but at the plate he was worse than tek...but he's still young so he has time to turn it around....and maybe he can be had a little cheaper this off season because he hit so poorly

                          Comment


                          • Then we better start looking else where. I know Colorado fans wont like it but they have a good young catcher and the Rockies trade away there good talent.
                            Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

                            Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • first of all the last time the Yankees and Red Sox met in a game 7 we kicked the living #$%^ out of them so becareful what you wish for ... you just might get it


                              now on to Varitek ... I love him and Respect him he's our Captain and our rock he's the heart and soul of that team but his time has come ... and maybe if we win the World Series this year he'll retire and have a pretty good resume he's the only catcher to catch four No Hitters and he has two World Series rings and not to mention all the games he's caught he is a legend No Doubt :salute!:


                              i'm in favor of Victor Martinez behind the plate next year

                              Comment


                              • If Beckett's back spasms don't get better, we are toast.
                                Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

                                Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X