No announcement yet.

Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess these quotes can go in this thread. I don't recall saying anything negative about David Ortiz in the past. I have always considered him a class act.... until today.

I'm obviously not a red sox fan...not even close.... but I would like to know what Ortiz' comments mean about his teammates and protection in the order and about his priorities.

Campaigning for the MVP award removes every ounce of respect I had for the man. See for yourself..........

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Derek Jeter is having one of the best seasons of his career, and with the Yankees owning the American League's second-best record and likely headed to the playoffs, Jeter is a strong candidate to win the AL Most Valuable Player Award.
    Talk of whether Jeter is a worthy candidate or not surfaced before Monday's game, a day after Red Sox slugger David Ortiz indicated that he would be a better choice than Jeter, even though Boston will probably not advance into the postseason.

"If I get 50 home runs and 10 more RBIs [for a total of 137], that's going to be a round number that no one else in the American League will have," Ortiz told reporters after Sunday's win over the Royals. "They're talking about Jeter a lot, right? He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy."

"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz said. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

Jeter, who extended his career high hitting streak to 21 games in the first inning Monday, responded to Ortiz's comments prior to the game.

"I don't have to do it in his lineup," Jeter said. "I'm not thinking about winning the MVP. I'm just thinking about winning the division. No one's focus here is on individual awards. We've got something to play for."

************************************************** ************************************************
    Give Ortiz his MVP, he obviously did it by himself :clap: . If Manny wasn't protecting him in the lineup and if Loretta, Youkilis and co. weren't doing a good job of reaching base and TAKING PITCHES (allowing the hitters behind him to get a good look at the pitcher, something Youkilis excels at) , Ortiz would still lead the league in HR and RBI, right??

If not for Manny, Ortiz's BB's would be far beyond Bobby Abreu's MLB leading total. Just TRY hitting in front of Manny Ramirez, right, David?? I bet Jeter would only be hitting around .235 or so if he were hitting in front of Manny .

I really thought Ortiz was better than this.
    Last edited by keithbishop; 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• [email protected] Boston fans who thought they would win the East!!!

Comment

• LMAO at ESPN! The yanks were supposedly done at the all-star break!

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

• Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
          LMAO at ESPN! The yanks were supposedly done at the all-star break!
          LMAO i know!

i talked to Harold Reynolds at the College WS and had CHICAGO/DETROIT in and Boston in and the Yanks missing it LOl

im loving it now

Comment

• Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
            LMAO at ESPN! The yanks were supposedly done at the all-star break!
            they say that every april or june

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop
              I guess these quotes can go in this thread. I don't recall saying anything negative about David Ortiz in the past. I have always considered him a class act.... until today.

I'm obviously not a red sox fan...not even close.... but I would like to know what Ortiz' comments mean about his teammates and protection in the order and about his priorities.

Campaigning for the MVP award removes every ounce of respect I had for the man. See for yourself..........

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Derek Jeter is having one of the best seasons of his career, and with the Yankees owning the American League's second-best record and likely headed to the playoffs, Jeter is a strong candidate to win the AL Most Valuable Player Award.
              Talk of whether Jeter is a worthy candidate or not surfaced before Monday's game, a day after Red Sox slugger David Ortiz indicated that he would be a better choice than Jeter, even though Boston will probably not advance into the postseason.

"If I get 50 home runs and 10 more RBIs [for a total of 137], that's going to be a round number that no one else in the American League will have," Ortiz told reporters after Sunday's win over the Royals. "They're talking about Jeter a lot, right? He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy."

"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz said. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

Jeter, who extended his career high hitting streak to 21 games in the first inning Monday, responded to Ortiz's comments prior to the game.

"I don't have to do it in his lineup," Jeter said. "I'm not thinking about winning the MVP. I'm just thinking about winning the division. No one's focus here is on individual awards. We've got something to play for."

************************************************** ************************************************
              Give Ortiz his MVP, he obviously did it by himself :clap: . If Manny wasn't protecting him in the lineup and if Loretta, Youkilis and co. weren't doing a good job of reaching base and TAKING PITCHES (allowing the hitters behind him to get a good look at the pitcher, something Youkilis excels at) , Ortiz would still lead the league in HR and RBI, right??

If not for Manny, Ortiz's BB's would be far beyond Bobby Abreu's MLB leading total. Just TRY hitting in front of Manny Ramirez, right, David?? I bet Jeter would only be hitting around .235 or so if he were hitting in front of Manny .

I really thought Ortiz was better than this.
              KB I think Ortiz was sandbagged on this one.

Most Vexed Papi: Angry Ortiz clears the air with Jeter
              By Michael Silverman
              Boston Herald Sports Reporter

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - Updated: 08:10 AM EST

BALTIMORE -- Through an intermediary, David Ortiz let Derek Jeter know yesterday that he had nothing against the Yankees shortstop and his chances to be the next American League MVP.

Ortiz was upset about how his comments after Sunday’s game at Fenway Park created a brushfire when the Yankees media ran the comments by Jeter.

The headlines in New York -- “Papi disses Derek,” New York Post; “Ortiz: Jeter’s No MVP” New York Daily News; “Ortiz: Pick me, not Jeter” Newark Star-Ledger -- created a tone of selfishness that had Ortiz considering a media boycott.

Saying he’s “smarter than that,” Ortiz clarified himself.

“Nobody heard my side,” said Ortiz before last night’s game against Baltimore. “Now a whole bunch of people think I look like a (expletive) out there because people haven’t heard what I said. Now I’ve talked to the man (Jeter), now I’ve talked to a whole bunch of people. Now they know my side, especially knowing me, I’m not a (expletive) talker.”

Ortiz pointed out, again, that historically the MVP goes to the top home run and RBI producers.

“It has nothing to do with Derek Jeter,” said Ortiz. “Everything is all about Derek Jeter and I haven’t mentioned Derek Jeter at all.”

Last year, Ortiz, with 47 home runs and 148 RBI, finished second in the MVP race to the Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez (48 HRs, 130 RBI).

Here is the link to the article

I think the media might have created this. I am all for Jeter winning MVP as his team is better and he means a whole lot to them.

This is just Meds humble opinion. The Yanks have a great postseason ahead of them with Oritiz and the Sox picking up the pieces of what might have been. :brick:
              NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

• Originally posted by Medford Bronco
                KB I think Ortiz was sandbagged on this one.

Most Vexed Papi: Angry Ortiz clears the air with Jeter
                By Michael Silverman
                Boston Herald Sports Reporter

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - Updated: 08:10 AM EST

BALTIMORE -- Through an intermediary, David Ortiz let Derek Jeter know yesterday that he had nothing against the Yankees shortstop and his chances to be the next American League MVP.

Ortiz was upset about how his comments after Sunday’s game at Fenway Park created a brushfire when the Yankees media ran the comments by Jeter.

The headlines in New York -- “Papi disses Derek,” New York Post; “Ortiz: Jeter’s No MVP” New York Daily News; “Ortiz: Pick me, not Jeter” Newark Star-Ledger -- created a tone of selfishness that had Ortiz considering a media boycott.

Saying he’s “smarter than that,” Ortiz clarified himself.

“Nobody heard my side,” said Ortiz before last night’s game against Baltimore. “Now a whole bunch of people think I look like a (expletive) out there because people haven’t heard what I said. Now I’ve talked to the man (Jeter), now I’ve talked to a whole bunch of people. Now they know my side, especially knowing me, I’m not a (expletive) talker.”

Ortiz pointed out, again, that historically the MVP goes to the top home run and RBI producers.

“It has nothing to do with Derek Jeter,” said Ortiz. “Everything is all about Derek Jeter and I haven’t mentioned Derek Jeter at all.”

Last year, Ortiz, with 47 home runs and 148 RBI, finished second in the MVP race to the Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez (48 HRs, 130 RBI).

Here is the link to the article

I think the media might have created this. I am all for Jeter winning MVP as his team is better and he means a whole lot to them.

This is just Meds humble opinion. The Yanks have a great postseason ahead of them with Oritiz and the Sox picking up the pieces of what might have been. :brick:
                Hopefully that is the case, Med. after "sleeping on it", Ortiz' frustration after a horrible month for his team has reached a boiling point...... add media members trying to stir the pot and you have a big mess.

What Ortiz hasn't addressed, though, and what troubles me much more than Jeter's name being in the mess, are the comments about boston's lineup. How can Ortiz even discuss his MVP chances without mentioning Manny?? Manny has MVP-worthy #'s and Ortiz owes at least part of his success to the fact that Manny hits behind him.

The order of the things that troubled me about this mess are:

1. Ortiz' comments about boston's lineup/not thanking Manny (teammates first!!)

2. That Ortiz would campaign for the MVP award to begin with. It reminded me of "Leon". It disgusts me, Med. I won't be the least bit upset if Ortiz wins the award this year, nor would I have been last year. There are 6 candidates that are worthy of the MVP this year, 2 from the Twins, 2 from the red sox, 1 from the White Sox and 1 from the Yankees. The only "candidate" I would object to would be Johan Santana. I've only seen 1 case in which a Pitcher was MVP worthy and, though Santana deserves the Cy Young award, he certainly doesn't deserve the MVP award.

3. Jeter being mentioned. This one falls far below my first 2 objections, but I loved Jeter's response.

If this is nothing more than a combination of Ortiz' frustration and the media stirring the pot, I'll be more understanding, but, if that is the case, Ortiz needs to shut up about the MVP award. Jeter's attitude should be a model for all players.

The media sickens me, especially when they do everything possible to either create or worsen a mess, then, when the situation improves, the media pretends like the mess was never there to begin with. For example, where in the hell are the "Trade A-rod " crowd?? Steve Phillips was called out face-to-face by Brian Cashman during a Yankees/Blue Jays game on ESPN :hammer: ....... and Phillips said NOTHING!!! A-Rod is playing great..... the Yankees are playing great..... and Phillips never so much as admitted he was wrong, much less admitted that his slant vs. A-Rod started when A-Rod signed with Texas instead of the Mets when Phillips was the Mets GM. .....exit "rant" mode, I'd better stop there .

Comment

• Johan Santana isn't the MVP.

Just for fun, I thought I'd take Santana's current #'s and compare them to Ron Guidry's 1978 #'s. Since Santana will have 3 or 4 more regular season starts, I added 4 wins, 36 innings and 48 K's to his totals (Just in case he throws 4 consecutive 12 K perfect games {thus his hit and BB totals are his current #'s} ).

Santana:
                  22-5 248.2 IP 5 CG 43 BB 278 K 22 HR 166 H 2.36 ERA.

Guidry:
                  25-3 273.2 IP 16 CG 72 BB 248 K 13 HR 187 H 1.74 ERA.

Guidry didn't win the MVP in 1978, so Santana certainly doesn't deserve it this year. Leave pitchers out of the MVP voting!!

Comment

• Is there a Yankee thread here?

EDIT - Just seen it.

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop
                      Johan Santana isn't the MVP.

Just for fun, I thought I'd take Santana's current #'s and compare them to Ron Guidry's 1978 #'s. Since Santana will have 3 or 4 more regular season starts, I added 4 wins, 36 innings and 48 K's to his totals (Just in case he throws 4 consecutive 12 K perfect games {thus his hit and BB totals are his current #'s} ).

Santana:
                      22-5 248.2 IP 5 CG 43 BB 278 K 22 HR 166 H 2.36 ERA.

Guidry:
                      25-3 273.2 IP 16 CG 72 BB 248 K 13 HR 187 H 1.74 ERA.

Guidry didn't win the MVP in 1978, so Santana certainly doesn't deserve it this year. Leave pitchers out of the MVP voting!!
                      What about Clemens in 1986

1986 BOS 33 33 24 4 0 10 1 254.0 179 77 70 21 67 238 2.48 0.97 .195

Just being funny KB :hammer: :brick:

Comment

What about Clemens in 1986

1986 BOS 33 33 24 4 0 10 1 254.0 179 77 70 21 67 238 2.48 0.97 .195

Just being funny KB :hammer: :brick:
                        LOL.

Here's a thought...... how about giving Jeter the Cy Young?? He saves runs from being scored against Yankee pitchers every game, so........

Comment

• Hey

Where are all the Sox fans. What ever happened to Liquid Blue I miss him.

Comment

Hey

DUH, Med. He's lying in wait for the BIGGEST COMEBACK EVER!!! RSN has set a trap for the Yankees..... you know, the old "false sense of security" bit. As Cinnamunmun would say, "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

VERRRRYYYYYYY CLEVER, RSN, but I see through your Ruse and am on the phone to Evil Empire HQ at this very moment.

PROTECT THE EMPIRE AT ALL COSTS !!!!! THROTTLE THE INVADING HORDE!!!!!

Jeter, A-Rod, Abreu, Cano, Matsui, Giambi, JohnNY, Jorge and Melky....... grab your bats and gloves......
                            Last edited by keithbishop; 09-15-2006, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Hey

oh yes..I miss him too!

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

• I LOVE HOW REDSOX FANS TALK SMACK ALL THAT HAS TO BE ASKED IS WHO'S HEADED TO THE PLAYOFFS?

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR :wave:

P.S. IT'S NOT THE RED SOX :nono:

P.P.S. WE HAVE 26 CHAMPIONSHIPS

GOD I HATE THE REDSOX!!!! :brick:
                                Go Broncos!!!!!!

The Future!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X