Red Sox Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bengaaaaals1688
    Coco did well last year, before he got hurt.

Even if he did believe in Pena, you don't trade one of your best starters, and Matsosaka isn't worth the 51 mil we paid just to talk to his team, let alone to sign him, IMHO.

When did we get Piniero??

look here for Bio

It looks like it was on January 4th
    NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

• kb - I dont know if I enjoy reading your posts more in here or in the Yankees thread - Im thinking here cuz you sure to give those Sux fans a good ol fashion ass whoopin

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop
        1. Damon BEGGED the red sox for an extension during the 2005 season. I've never heard red sox fans talk about this..... they instantly blame Damon. Theo told Damon that the red sox Do Not Negotiate Contracts During The Season . I was reading articles in Sept. 2005 about this.... and Damon was very upset. He was a big part of the win over the Yankees in 2004, yet :
        ( 2006 transactions from boston's official site)
        A. 4/10/06 Agreed to terms with DH/1B David Ortiz on a four-year contract extension with a club option for the 2011 season.

B. 7/19/06 Agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension with RHP Josh Beckett. The deal includes a club/vesting option for the 2010 season.

C. (from Cot's baseball contracts) Covelli Crisp of
        3 years/$15.5M (2007-09), plus $8M 2010 club option
        signed extension 4/06
        Note that those were all this year. Their policy could have changed since last year because they lost Damon due to their "policy".

I guess they didn't want to lose Ortiz, Beckett, or Crisp like they did Damon.

Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
        RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
        Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
        -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

• Originally posted by LiquidBlue
          Note that those were all this year. Their policy could have changed since last year because they lost Damon due to their "policy".

Damon was known for drinking heavily and showing up for Sox games hung over quite often.

That may be part of the reason the Sox didn't want to hand over a fistful of money on a 4 year contract.

Mein angenommenes Yankee ist Johnny Damon

Comment

• Originally posted by PatsCrowEater
            Damon was known for drinking heavily and showing up for Sox games hung over quite often.

That may be part of the reason the Sox didn't want to hand over a fistful of money on a 4 year contract.
            Really?? I never heard about that.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Exactly. You got my point ...... as long as you don't give me any "It wasn't a lie, they changed the policy" BS..... my 8-year old son wouldn't buy that.

What surprises me is that he wasn't re-signed PRIOR TO the 2005 season.

I'm glad they didn't learn from the Yankees contract mistakes (otherwise, Damon would still be in boston), but here are 2 RIDICULOUS mistakes made by the Yankees :

1. Bernie Williams requested a 5-year $45 mil. deal. Steinbrenner decided to wait until Bernie became a free agent. boston offered Bernie a 7-year deal for somewhere around $84 mil. (I don't recall the exact amount, but it was about $12 mil. per season). Bernie re-signed with the Yankees..... 7 years/$77 mil. That lesson cost the Yankees 2 years and $32 mil.

That's childs play compared to the next one......

2. Derek Jeter was set to sign a deal for 10 years/$125 mil. Steinbrenner decided that no one was worth $125 mil. A-Rod got his 10 year/$252 mil. deal. Jeter signed an extension..... 10 years/$189 mil. That lesson cost the Yankees $64 mil.

For future reference:

1. Deals are signed every year that raise the market for other players (i.e., Barry Zito's and Alphonso Soriano's new deals). "If player A is worth ___ $$, then I'm worth ___ more $$. " This happens all the time.

2. When a star player like Johnny Damon tells you in September " By not re-signing me before I hit free agency, you lose the right to sign me at a discount", it means that a 3-year $30 mil. initial offer simply won't fly. It nearly always costs more to re-sign a player once they've hit the open market and started receiving offers.

3. Starting trade negotiations to replace a player DURING CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS :brick: goes beyond being dumb. Can you imagine the Broncos allowing , say, Al Wilson (before he signed his last deal) to test the free agent market..... then starting trade talks with 2 other teams for his replacement?? I can't..... I would have been screaming loud enough for Shanahan to hear me. Doing so is a slap in the face to the free agent. This point simply can't be argued. Were the red sox trying to show Damon that they wanted him to stay?? Of course not. At best, it would have been a bluff attempt that would fool NO ONE.... "If we try to trade for ______, our star player will cave in to us". NEVER in a million years would that tactic work. Were I a red sox fan, I would be humiliated by the decision.

Medford can admit red sox and Dodger mistakes...... I can admit Yankees and Royals mistakes..... the blinders have to be removed, but it can be done. Steinbrenner blew the Andy Pettitte negotiations by going hard after Gary Sheffield, but only making a half-hearted effort to retain Andy. My blood boiled over the mistake until last month when the move was corrected and Andy returned to the Yankees. It has happened many times over the years with the Yankees and EVERY OTHER TEAM. Mistakes are made..... I see no sense in pinning this one entirely on Damon. Damon wanted to stay.... the red sox blew the negotiations.... plain and simple.

3. Losing a core player (2004 red sox hitters: Damon, Manny, Ortiz, Varitek) over $6 mil. (the difference between boston's final $40 mil. offer and Damon's final $46 mil. request) is ridiculous. Telling a core player he was only worth $10 mil. per season....then giving an inferior replacement $14 mil. per season is HILARIOUS. So is not complaining about Damon's arm until he goes elsewhere.

In fact..... the entire concept of griping about his arm is ridiculous. Let's take a closer look:

1. He is one of the best leadoff hitters in the game and has been for a long time.

2. He has some power.

3. He takes a ton of pitches, which:
              A. runs the opposition's pitch count up, getting the game to the middle relievers earlier..... what teams middle relievers are as good as their starting pitchers??
              B. allows the players that follow him in the lineup to get a good look at what the pitcher is throwing that day..... i.e., is he missing the plate with his curve, are his pitches hitting the Catcher's target, etc.

4. He's an excellent baserunner. He has speed to burn. He's aggressive. He has great instincts.

5. He has very good range in CF.

6. He absolutely will not be out-hustled. He plays hard and he plays hurt, never failing to give 100%. (Warning about Drew -- Tony LaRussa accused him of "giving 80% effort" in some games.... not cool, to say the very least).

7. He's a great influence, both on the field and in the clubhouse. He doesn't merely play the game the right way, HE LOVES THE GAME. He does everything possible to keep his teammates spirits up.... very important in a 162 game season.

If those points don't more than make up for a weak throwing arm (the result of a high school football injury-- I wasn't aware that football injuries were funny), then
              Manny's defense and baserunning can't be made up for by his offense..... Varitek's overall game can't make up for his .238 batting average last season....
              you get the picture.

Bash away.... but at least have the class to admit boston blew the contract negotiations. I don't know about you, but if I were a GM and my star CF said he would never sign with my main competitor, I'D RE-SIGN HIM IMMEDIATELY, especially since he was willing to take a discounted deal to stay with my team. Try it.... look at both sides of the issue. I swear it can work.
              Last edited by keithbishop; 01-19-2007, 03:25 PM.
              My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop
                Bash away.... but at least have the class to admit boston blew the contract negotiations. I don't know about you, but if I were a GM and my star CF said he would never sign with my main competitor, I'D RE-SIGN HIM IMMEDIATELY, especially since he was willing to take a discounted deal to stay with my team. Try it.... look at both sides of the issue. I swear it can work.
                Damon is better than JD Frekin Drew. The sox are having 2nd thoughts on this one. If not then why has it taken so long to get it done?

Also I was sad to see Trot Nixon go to the Indians. I would rather have him at $3 mill over JD the IR man at $14 mill
                NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

Damon is known for NEVER having been on the Disabled List and averaging 150.6 games played per season.

Drew is known for averaging 118 games per season (full seasons only.... I didn't count the handful of game he played his rookie year).

Quoting Calif. Bronco in the Dodgers thread, Drew is known for things like " By the way, I wonder how Theo will feel about his "stealing" Drew when he sits out an entire weekend series with "general soreness" like he did for us last year."

Did you catch LaRussa's "Drew sometimes gave only 80% effort" bit I mentioned, by the way??

Are these reasons the red sox are willing to hand over LARGER handfuls of $$ over a 5-year deal??

Maybe.... just maybe.... with a newborn baby in the house, Johnny won't be too worried about the night life.... worked for me 8 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Medford Bronco
                    Damon is better than JD Frekin Drew. The sox are having 2nd thoughts on this one. If not then why has it taken so long to get it done?

Also I was sad to see Trot Nixon go to the Indians. I would rather have him at $3 mill over JD the IR man at $14 mill
                    Quit teasing me, Med..... Drew for only $500 K less per season than Nixon PLUS Damon would have cost?? :clap:

BTW, I read that the red sox have made progress on Drew's deal. He should officially sign before too long.

Comment

• I just sort of skimmed through your reply, and I saw you said something about Damon being a good baserunner, I do agree with you on that, however I think we can both agree that Coco can run his little legs off as well.

He didn't really try stealing anymore bases after his broken finger, but would you either? It kept him out of the lineup for about a month.

Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
                      RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
                      Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
                      -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

Yes, the extensions were done in 2006. Oddly enough, NONE of the 3 were eligible for free agency after the 2006 season.

FA eligibility dates prior to contract extensions:

Crisp-- after the 2009 season.
                        Beckett and Ortiz-- after the 2007 season.

There was no chance of losing any of the 3 after the 2006 season, unlike Damon's case.

Comment

I just sort of skimmed through your reply, and I saw you said something about Damon being a good baserunner, I do agree with you on that, however I think we can both agree that Coco can run his little legs off as well.

He didn't really try stealing anymore bases after his broken finger, but would you either? It kept him out of the lineup for about a month.
                          I'd combine that with the fact that boston hasn't been much of a running team in YEARS. They didn't run Damon very often, either.

Crisp, like Damon, is an excellent athlete. Their flaw is even the same... neither throws well.

Comment

I can understand players like Babe Ruth being hung over back when the games were played in the daytime.

Once upon a time, I drank.... and drank.... and drank..... but I don't understand how you could be hung over THE NIGHT AFTER a drinking binge on a frequent basis. My hangovers were limited to mornings.

I was thin, but wasn't a workout warrior. How does an all-star athlete stay in peak physical condition with a drinking problem so extreme it would require his team to hesitate on paying him big $$ ?? It's not like Damon could have been David Wells body double........

Comment

• KB you had some great points on the Damon deal, but I don't fault the Sox For looking at other CF, they had to have a second options if Damon did not want to resign at that point.

I do however fault them for not signing him BEFORE his contract was up.

Also why to you keep talking about Cereal .............

oh and about "Nancy"

Drew deal near
                              Associated Press Sports
                              Updated: 3:49 p.m. MT Jan 19, 2007
                              BOSTON (AP) -The Boston Red Sox are nearing the completion of their five-year, $70 million contract with J.D. Drew, a deal that was announced by agent Scott Boras in December but delayed due to concerns over the outfielder's right shoulder.

"We've moved forward on this and fully expect to have it completed in their near future,'' Boras said Friday.

The Red Sox reached a preliminary agreement with Drew at the baseball winter meetings on Dec. 5. The deal was contingent on him passing a physical, but his surgically repaired shoulder reportedly raised a red flag with team doctors.

Red Sox spokesman John Blake said Friday the team had nothing to announce.

In the past, teams have gotten around such concerns by including contingency clauses that allow them, if a specific injury occurs, to void provisions guaranteeing salaries.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
                              URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16713599/
                              Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Southstander
                                KB you had some great points on the Damon deal, but I don't fault the Sox For looking at other CF, they had to have a second options if Damon did not want to resign at that point.

I do however fault them for not signing him BEFORE his contract was up.

Also why to you keep talking about Cereal .............
                                Now you've gone too far. What do you have against cereal??

Comment

Working...
                                X