• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whew, i havent checked this thread in a while

thought id share my newest artwork

Comment

• That is AWSOME
      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
      sigpic

Comment

• Uh oh..... Mr. Schilling had to elaborate on his recent statements. I need help with the translation......

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal..._given/?page=2

"Theo and I both understand that if all parties are in the same space, we'll get the contract done in 15 minutes."

What about the Sox wanting to take a look at a 40-year-old pitcher before committing to another year?

"Why would I do that? Why would I allow that scenario to play out? Who does that? That's not the way the game works . . . We're going to meet before spring training. I talked with Mr. Henry yesterday at length. It's not the big deal that your article, or any article, will make it."

What about the perception that you're doing this because you saw what the market was paying starting pitchers over the winter? The Royals are paying Gil Meche $11 million per season for five years.

"If I was going to use Gil Meche, or any of the market, as a comparison, then I sure as hell would be looking for a whole lot more than $13 million. Because I could get it. And I believe in my ability to go out there and win 22-23-24 games this year and be a No. 1 and walk into the market next year and find someone that'll pay me $17-18-19 million for a season. And I would leverage the Yankees."

You said you wouldn't go to the Yankees. Why take them out of the mix?

"I didn't offer that up unsolicited. Someone introduced the Yankees in the conversation and I said that was not a choice I would make. Not because I don't like the Yankees. I don't hate anyone over there. But it's not something I could do. I think it would just be, on my end, an incredibly disingenuous four years that I spent here. I couldn't do it."

Why stop at 22-24 wins, Curt?? Shoot for 30-32 :thumb: ....brings back memories of the soft-spoken Rickey Henderson .

Actually, there is only 1 major problem with what he said.

I know what the market is. If Schilling is healthy in 2007, I can't rule out someone giving him $17+ mil. As far as that goes, I can't rule out someone giving him a 2-year deal or even a 2-year deal with a team option for a 3rd year.

Where he lost me is in combining:

1. "And I would leverage the Yankees".

with

2. "....and I said that was not a choice I would make. Not because I don't like the Yankees. I don't hate anyone over there. But it's not something I could do. I think it would just be, on my end, an incredibly disingenuous four years that I spent here. I couldn't do it."

This wasn't taken from seperate interviews.

How do you leverage the Yankees by NOT negotiating with them..... and publicly announcing your intent to use them, but not sign with them??

The best I can come up with is that he didn't realize he was talking out loud.

Players/agents have leveraged the Yankees.... that part is nothing new. To publicly announce doing so, though, has to be the most ridiculous negotiating tactic I've ever heard of.

Follow me closely on this, sox fans...... before getting too defensive.......

I couldn't care less about Curt announcing he won't play for the Yankees. Good for him. I don't want him on the team.

All I want to know is how one would go about leveraging a team he has already made known he won't play for??

If only he had left out "and I would leverage the Yankees".......

"leverage the Yankees" for what.... to drive up the price the red sox would have to pay to re-sign him?? Fine with me (damned good idea, in fact..... Cashman could pretend to offer Schilling an insane amount of $$ if it drove up boston's price ) , but very confusing.
        My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• That is a nice tat bro, hope you guys kill the dam wankees...
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by DawgFanatic
            That is a nice tat bro, hope you guys kill the dam wankees...
            Thank you sir.... and may the Dodgers and Padres kill your damn D-Backs .

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop
              Why stop at 22-24 wins, Curt?? Shoot for 30-32 :thumb: ....brings back memories of the soft-spoken Rickey Henderson .

Actually, there is only 1 major problem with what he said.

I know what the market is. If Schilling is healthy in 2007, I can't rule out someone giving him $17+ mil. As far as that goes, I can't rule out someone giving him a 2-year deal or even a 2-year deal with a team option for a 3rd year.

Where he lost me is in combining:

1. "And I would leverage the Yankees".

with

2. "....and I said that was not a choice I would make. Not because I don't like the Yankees. I don't hate anyone over there. But it's not something I could do. I think it would just be, on my end, an incredibly disingenuous four years that I spent here. I couldn't do it."

This wasn't taken from seperate interviews.

How do you leverage the Yankees by NOT negotiating with them..... and publicly announcing your intent to use them, but not sign with them??

The best I can come up with is that he didn't realize he was talking out loud.

Players/agents have leveraged the Yankees.... that part is nothing new. To publicly announce doing so, though, has to be the most ridiculous negotiating tactic I've ever heard of.

Follow me closely on this, sox fans...... before getting too defensive.......

I couldn't care less about Curt announcing he won't play for the Yankees. Good for him. I don't want him on the team.

All I want to know is how one would go about leveraging a team he has already made known he won't play for??

If only he had left out "and I would leverage the Yankees".......

"leverage the Yankees" for what.... to drive up the price the red sox would have to pay to re-sign him?? Fine with me (damned good idea, in fact..... Cashman could pretend to offer Schilling an insane amount of $$ if it drove up boston's price ) , but very confusing.
              His point was, that had he wanted just the money he never would have said he won't go to the Yankees, and instead would have tried to have talks of a deal with them so the Red Sox then have to pay him more. He isn't saying that he would be trying now, but that he already would have tried and he wouldn't have told everyone that he won't do it.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

• Originally posted by bengaaaaals1688
                His point was, that had he wanted just the money he never would have said he won't go to the Yankees, and instead would have tried to have talks of a deal with them so the Red Sox then have to pay him more. He isn't saying that he would be trying now, but that he already would have tried and he wouldn't have told everyone that he won't do it.

Hmm.... OK. He couldn't have tried to have have talks with the Yankees.... he's under contract with boston. Doesn't he realize Cashman wouldn't fall for that crap to begin with?? I can't picture it working with Theo, either, were a Yankees FA to try to use boston for leverage.

I don't really care about the feud he has going with the writer of the article, but the writer was upset Schilling even mentioned using another team for leverage to drive up the red sox price..... specifically the Yankees. Like I said, the "I won't sign with the Yankees" bit means nothing.... but even bluffing a threat at the red sox 9 + months before he's eligible for free agency stunned me. I wish him luck, though..... drive that price up, bay-bee!!

I'm sure it won't matter.... he will sign with boston anyways, but if his assumption is that the Yankees go after every red sox FA, I can't understand why no offer was made to Pedro Martinez. Marketing-wise, it would have made sense for the Yankees to do, though baseball-wise it wouldn't have been the direction Cashman wants to go.

With Schilling, the only way it would make sense for the Yankees to make him an offer would be for marketing purposes. Schilling has to be aware that the Yankees have Phil Hughes, the top pitching prospect in all of baseball..... and that Hughes will join the rotation to start the 2008 season at the latest...... there is already a ton of speculation that it will happen at some point in 2007.

Back to the leveraging the Yankees thing.... it's been done before, but Cashman hasn't tolerated that the past few years.

Pedro Martinez..... I have no idea if he was actually willing to pitch for the Yankees, but his agent pressed for an offer (likely to drive up the Mets' price). The Yankees didn't make an offer.

Barry Zito was willing to pitch for the Yankees, but didn't receive an offer.

Brian Giles agent made a push for the Yankees to make a big offer. The old Yankees would have signed him and moved him from LF to CF..... yet no offer was made. It didn't appear that Giles really wanted to play in New York..... leveraging the Yankees, however, would have been a different story. No dice, though.

Look at the pitching free agents this past offseason..... I've mentioned Zito, but Gil Meche and Ted Lilly were heavily linked in rumors to the Yankees, yet Cashman made no offers (despite the fact that Lilly's agent kept pushing for one).

Who did the Yankees get??

Mike Mussina took a big paycut to re-sign with the Yankees. After 6 seasons in New York, there isn't any question how he'll fit in with the team or handle New York. He could have received more $ elsewhere, but wanted to stay with the Yankees.

Andy Pettitte won 4 WS rings after being drafted and developed by the Yankees. Yeah, he'll fit in . Worth noting: Signing Pettitte didn't cost the Yankees a draft pick because Houston didn't offer him arbitration. Many of the other major FA pitchers would have cost the Yankees a 1st round draft pick.

Randy Johnson was traded away for prospects, though a lot of that was due to the fact that his brother passed away and he wanted to be closer to his family....certainly understandable.

Gary Sheffield was traded away for prospects.

Roger Clemens is still out there, but he could end up with boston or Houston just as easily as he could return to the Yankees. His situation will be cloudy for a while because much depends on each teams place in the standings and the health/effectiveness of their rotation.

The Yankees payroll has dropped considerably from last season. Actually, it also dropped last season from 2005's total. Don't tell anyone, though..... many people are still crying about a $200 mil. payroll even though the Yankees are nowhere near that total..... and they won't be near it even if they add Clemens .
                Make sure that stays our little secret.

The Yankees are getting younger and cheaper. They are building the farm system through trades, the draft, and international signings. To change course and willingly surrender a 1st round draft pick for a 40- year old pitcher just isn't going to happen.

To be fair, Sheffield's mouth wasn't fun to deal with. Much like Schilling, he didn't know how to say "no comment" or talk about much other than himself. No.... I don't miss him.

Comment

Hmm.... OK. He couldn't have tried to have have talks with the Yankees.... he's under contract with boston. Doesn't he realize Cashman wouldn't fall for that crap to begin with?? I can't picture it working with Theo, either, were a Yankees FA to try to use boston for leverage.

I don't really care about the feud he has going with the writer of the article, but the writer was upset Schilling even mentioned using another team for leverage to drive up the red sox price..... specifically the Yankees. Like I said, the "I won't sign with the Yankees" bit means nothing.... but even bluffing a threat at the red sox 9 + months before he's eligible for free agency stunned me. I wish him luck, though..... drive that price up, bay-bee!!

I'm sure it won't matter.... he will sign with boston anyways, but if his assumption is that the Yankees go after every red sox FA, I can't understand why no offer was made to Pedro Martinez. Marketing-wise, it would have made sense for the Yankees to do, though baseball-wise it wouldn't have been the direction Cashman wants to go.

With Schilling, the only way it would make sense for the Yankees to make him an offer would be for marketing purposes. Schilling has to be aware that the Yankees have Phil Hughes, the top pitching prospect in all of baseball..... and that Hughes will join the rotation to start the 2008 season at the latest...... there is already a ton of speculation that it will happen at some point in 2007.

Back to the leveraging the Yankees thing.... it's been done before, but Cashman hasn't tolerated that the past few years.

Pedro Martinez..... I have no idea if he was actually willing to pitch for the Yankees, but his agent pressed for an offer (likely to drive up the Mets' price). The Yankees didn't make an offer.

Barry Zito was willing to pitch for the Yankees, but didn't receive an offer.

Brian Giles agent made a push for the Yankees to make a big offer. The old Yankees would have signed him and moved him from LF to CF..... yet no offer was made. It didn't appear that Giles really wanted to play in New York..... leveraging the Yankees, however, would have been a different story. No dice, though.

Look at the pitching free agents this past offseason..... I've mentioned Zito, but Gil Meche and Ted Lilly were heavily linked in rumors to the Yankees, yet Cashman made no offers (despite the fact that Lilly's agent kept pushing for one).

Who did the Yankees get??

Mike Mussina took a big paycut to re-sign with the Yankees. After 6 seasons in New York, there isn't any question how he'll fit in with the team or handle New York. He could have received more $ elsewhere, but wanted to stay with the Yankees.

Andy Pettitte won 4 WS rings after being drafted and developed by the Yankees. Yeah, he'll fit in . Worth noting: Signing Pettitte didn't cost the Yankees a draft pick because Houston didn't offer him arbitration. Many of the other major FA pitchers would have cost the Yankees a 1st round draft pick.

Randy Johnson was traded away for prospects, though a lot of that was due to the fact that his brother passed away and he wanted to be closer to his family....certainly understandable.

Gary Sheffield was traded away for prospects.

Roger Clemens is still out there, but he could end up with boston or Houston just as easily as he could return to the Yankees. His situation will be cloudy for a while because much depends on each teams place in the standings and the health/effectiveness of their rotation.

The Yankees payroll has dropped considerably from last season. Actually, it also dropped last season from 2005's total. Don't tell anyone, though..... many people are still crying about a $200 mil. payroll even though the Yankees are nowhere near that total..... and they won't be near it even if they add Clemens .
                  Make sure that stays our little secret.

The Yankees are getting younger and cheaper. They are building the farm system through trades, the draft, and international signings. To change course and willingly surrender a 1st round draft pick for a 40- year old pitcher just isn't going to happen.

To be fair, Sheffield's mouth wasn't fun to deal with. Much like Schilling, he didn't know how to say "no comment" or talk about much other than himself. No.... I don't miss him.
                  I think he was referring to for his free agent year, but that is neither here nor there. Fact is, we lost Arroyo, who was a great pitcher for us and one of our young ones, we need younger pitching and Schilling isn't young anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by bengaaaaals1688
                    I think he was referring to for his free agent year, but that is neither here nor there. Fact is, we lost Arroyo, who was a great pitcher for us and one of our young ones, we need younger pitching and Schilling isn't young anymore.

Schilling will likely re-sign with boston before the season. Hopefully he gets what he deserves: $17+ mil.. per for 7 or 8 years.

Thanks, though.... I guess I see where Curt was coming from.... but what he said makes Scott Boras look classy.

Arroyo was excellent with the Reds last season. I didn't see his 240 IP and 3.29 ERA coming. It sucks to trade away young pitchers. I'm still mad about the Yankees trading Doug Drabek (24 years old at the time) for Rick Rhoden (34 at the time)..... and that was 20 years ago.

Drabek ended up having 6 impressive seasons for the Pirates and 2 good seasons for the Astros before his #'s fell off. Rhoden had 2 decent seasons for the Yankees and a partial season for the Astros before retiring. :brick: :brick:

Comment

Schilling will likely re-sign with boston before the season. Hopefully he gets what he deserves: $17+ mil.. per for 7 or 8 years.

Thanks, though.... I guess I see where Curt was coming from.... but what he said makes Scott Boras look classy.

Arroyo was excellent with the Reds last season. I didn't see his 240 IP and 3.29 ERA coming. It sucks to trade away young pitchers. I'm still mad about the Yankees trading Doug Drabek (24 years old at the time) for Rick Rhoden (34 at the time)..... and that was 20 years ago.

Drabek ended up having 6 impressive seasons for the Pirates and 2 good seasons for the Astros before his #'s fell off. Rhoden had 2 decent seasons for the Yankees and a partial season for the Astros before retiring. :brick: :brick:
                      It just kills me that they would trade him away when he was the only guy on the rotation younger than 30, and all we got was Willy Mo... who we are now replacing with Drew.

Comment

• So far the Red Sox training camp is off to a great start. I'm happy to report the following:

* Nobody in our front office has been arrested for DUI

* Nobody on our pitching staff is dissed at management for not showing respect for not offering an extension

* None of our starting pitchers has publicly scorned another SP for not having any balls

* None of our former teammates is ripping the Boston media

* None of Boston's long-term players were dis-respected with a non-guaranteed minor league contract

* Our third baseman and SS get along great!

* All of Terry Francona's phone calls have been returned

* None of our players had to sit out any drills because their legs were tired

Yep, unlike some other camps, all is well in Red Sox Nation!

Mein angenommenes Yankee ist Johnny Damon

Comment

• Originally posted by PatsCrowEater
                          So far the Red Sox training camp is off to a great start. I'm happy to report the following:

* Nobody in our front office has been arrested for DUI

* Nobody on our pitching staff is dissed at management for not showing respect for not offering an extension

* None of our starting pitchers has publicly scorned another SP for not having any balls

* None of our former teammates is ripping the Boston media

* None of Boston's long-term players were dis-respected with a non-guaranteed minor league contract

* Our third baseman and SS get along great!

* All of Terry Francona's phone calls have been returned

* None of our players had to sit out any drills because their legs were tired

Yep, unlike some other camps, all is well in Red Sox Nation!
                          Very nice.... hopefully I won't ruin things with "the rest of the story"....

1. Front office employees aren't responsible for.... not to hit on a touchy subject .... making the playoffs. Swindal proved he can be a tool. Just wait until he does something like.... running a 1st ballot HOF pitcher out of town because he is in the "Twilight of his career" (still my favorite sox front office moment).

2. Care for the truth about Mariano?? He called Cashman the day after the articles came out to apologize for the misinterpretation. All of the articles quoted Mariano as saying that he wasn't upset with the Yankees.... and that the Yankees have always respected him. That, of course, wasn't sensationalized. I didn't believe the hype, nor did Cashman (his interviews are frequently available on Yankees sites, as I'm sure you're aware). Perhaps I thought you'd seen media games before, PCE. I have to admit that I'm disappointed in your naivete. Here's how it works: negativity sells. Mariano will retire a Yankee....we both know that.

3. You've got to be kidding me. Did you fail to read about Pavano's CLASSY (tough word to digest for an RSN fan) response?? Here we go.... Pavano had a face-to-face meeting with Moose the day after Moose's comments. Moose apologized in person, then through the press. Like Steve Swindal, Moose screwed up. I've screwed up, so I can relate. Perhaps you will make a mistake one day......... anyways, the issue has been resolved.

4. RANDY JOHNSON HAS PROBLEMS WITH THE MEDIA !!!!! You weren't aware of this years ago??

Guess what?? The media sucks. New York, having more papers, etc., has more reporters. Sorry if I'm bursting your bubble, but the NY media is full of sharks. They're tough.... and they run even non-stories into the ground.

What are you going to tell me next, there's a lot of pressure playing for the Yankees??

C'mon, PCE. You're not even trying.

5. You're kidding me, right?? Did you pay an ounce of attention to Bernie's situation last season?? From your tone, I'm guessing "no".

Let me spell it out for you.....

Following the 2005 season, it was unknown whether Bernie would return for his 16th season. I honestly didn't think he would be with the Yankees in 2006. THE MOMENT it was announced Bernie had been given a 1-year deal, I told my son we'd better appreciate every little thing he did in 2006, because it was VERY LIKELY HIS FINAL SEASON.

Why?? It was his 16th season. How many Yankees have spent 16 seasons with the team?? 7. Yes, it's pretty rare, to say the very least. Feel free to name all the red sox players that are even approaching their 16th season with the team.....

then, if you'd be so kind, tell us about the offer boston made to Trot Nixon. What?? They made no offer?????? Because they didn't have room for another OF, even one younger than Bernie?? The difference is.......

Brian Cashman called the decision "excruciating". That's not exactly what boston has called such decisions with many of their stars over the years. No one is guaranteed 17 seasons in MLB. No one.

6. Your 3B has never played with your SS. I'm willing to bet your SS isn't the Godfather of your 3B daughter. Bet you didn't know that about Jeter/A-Rod, did you??

Read your articles (interpretations of the interview).... I listened to A-Rod's interview. No interview clips, like ESPN will play, but the full 9+ minute interview. It was great...especially when A-Rod told the media it was time to knock off the BS.

7. Ahhh.... playing both sides of the coin. The Yankees are bad for not making Bernie an offer..... and Bernie is bad for not calling Torre?? BTW.....Bernie and Torre did talk last week. If you already knew that, you shouldn't have held the info back from us.

While we're on the subject.... Cashman said the decision was excruciating..... wouldn't it be the same for Bernie?? Some players are able to easily walk away from the game. Others aren't. If you're willing to call 16 seasons too short of a career, you're only fooling yourself. Bernie has long been one of my favorites.... so were 2 of our coaches, Mattingly (my all-time favorite player) and Guidry (all-time favorite pitcher). I knew long ago that my favorites couldn't play forever.

It would probably be better to discuss this when you can show me someone on your team that's been there for 16 seasons. I'm not holding my breath.

8. I'm sure you're aware of this , but Pavano's BP session went well today.... meaning....it's just like Torre said Sunday, no big deal. I'll bet you that some red sox players miss at least part of a day's work..... and that you fail to make a big deal out of it. Another Yankees pitcher cut a workout short Sunday.... it was, once again, no big deal, but the media likes him, so VERY little was said about it.

Now.... for a rumor I won't speculate on (I'll leave the speculation to you), but perhaps you can help..... when is Manny reporting to red sox camp??
                          Last edited by keithbishop; 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• PCE -- back to boston's "drama free" camp......

I found an article that dealt with the Manny rumor Imentioned last night.

Julian Tavarez told reporters that Manny Ramirez doesn't plan on reporting until March 1st, though today is the official reporting date for position players.

Terry Francona said he had no knowledge of the situation. You've gotta admit that's hilarious in light of your Joe Torre phone call comments. At least Joe knows where his LF is, right??

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...s/extra_bases/

Tavarez comments:

“Everybody here is like Manny, Manny, Manny, so nobody believes that. But this is true about his mom,” Tavarez said. “She’ll be OK, but she really got surgery.”

Tavarez did tell Edes this morning, however, that his mother's condition is not the reason for his tardiness. "Manny being Manny," Tavarez said.

Tavarez said that despite the health of his mother, Ramirez seemed to be in good spirits.

“The way he sounded yesterday, he was laughing,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s because his mom, you know she’s home already and he’s happy. But he said, ‘Hang in there, I’ll be there the first.’ I said you better show up out here, what the hell are you doing home? He was just laughing. It’s Manny.”

Tavarez also said to rest assured that Ramirez would show up in shape and ready for the exhibition season.

“Manny is really prepared for the things that he does to play ball,” he said. “He’s worked hard in the offseason, always shows up in good shape. Manny is going to show up late, Manny is going to show up early, he’s still going to put up 100 RBI, 40 home runs and hit .300. He’s a natural player right there.”

So.....

Manny's mother had surgery, but is home now.

Manny told Tavarez he will be in camp March 1st.

Manny also reported late last season.

Yankee position players were to check in (take physicals, etc. ) yesterday. Perhaps boston players do that on the 1st official day (today)... instead of the day before the 1st official day. I'm not sure about that part.... perhaps you can enlighten me.

Terry Francona doesn't know what's going on.

Tavarez is writing this off as "Manny being Manny".

I could speculate on this, but you started this, so have at it....... :wave:

Please don't tell me you were so busy focusing on the Yankees that you missed this story .
                            Last edited by keithbishop; 02-20-2007, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• It's not a story. Manny shows up on the mandatory reporting date every year.

That's the only dirt you could find on the Red Sox? A spoonful? Meanwhile, there's truckloads of new dirt being delivered everyday to the Yankees camp.

Didn't Cashman sarcastically refer to it as "Camp Quiet" the other day?

Mein angenommenes Yankee ist Johnny Damon

Comment

• Originally posted by PatsCrowEater
                                It's not a story. Manny shows up on the mandatory reporting date every year.

That's the only dirt you could find on the Red Sox? A spoonful? Meanwhile, there's truckloads of new dirt being delivered everyday to the Yankees camp.

Didn't Cashman sarcastically refer to it as "Camp Quiet" the other day?
                                Aaahhh.... "Manny being Manny" covers it, then. Just as I suspected.

The Yankees are fine..... we even know who our closer is .

Since you brought it up...... there is something wrong with the Yankees not bringing back Bernie for his 17th season, right??

If you're familiar at all with the red sox roster, you'd realize that they haven't developed anyone that's been on the team for even 3 full major league seasons.

Position players:
                                Pedroia and Youkilis are the only 2 developed by boston.

Pitchers:
                                Papelbon, Hansen, Delcarmen, and Lester.

None of them have much big league experience. All the other red sox came from other organizations via trade or free agency.

Meanwhile, Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, and Jorge Posada were developed by the Yankees. Rivera came up for good in 1995, Jeter in 1996, and Posada in 1997.

Please explain the vast discrepancy in team loyalty to the players they developed. I can't wait for your explanation........................ :wave:

Comment

Working...
                                X