Evil Empire Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by keithbishop
    Yeah.... Brian called me this afternoon.
    Why didnt you call him??

Comment

• Originally posted by JayCutler4MVP!!!
      Why didnt you call him??
      We've been playing phone tag since Matsui was injured. These things happen.
      My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• We really need 2-3 consecutive 7 inning outings. And Bernie Williams.

Comment

• Originally posted by DevilSpawn
          We really need 2-3 consecutive 7 inning outings. And Bernie Williams.
          Yes on A..... but I'll pass on B.

I miss Bernie, but our roster wasn't set up to carry him. 12 pitchers (a necessity, especially with the rotation's woes it's first time through) and 2 1B only allow for 1 extra OF. Melky and Kevin Thompson can play all 3 OF positions quite well.

Carrying 2 1B is a shame (Giambi is a DH now, though he'll still occasionally play 1B), but I understand the setup. I like Mientkiewicz, but, coming off back surgery, it will take some time to see if he can go the distance this season. Giambi's defense was atrocious and, at this stage of his career, the risk to his health (his knees are getting pretty bad) was too great to take by frequently putting him in the field. Wang and Pavano are ground ball pitchers, compounding the need for defense. Mientkiewicz is a good contact hitter and a top-3 fielding 1B, but can't supply power. Josh Phelps hit the cover off the ball in ST and is well worth taking a look at. He bats RH and hits LHP well, something to consider in our predominately LH hitting lineup. Mientkiewicz bats LH. In a horrible FA market, there just wasn't an everyday 1B available. Phelps has primarily been a DH, so he's a work in progress at 1B, but he's far better than Giambi in the field. It's a platoon now, but one or the other could claim the full-time job later this season. If Mientkiewicz hits like he did last season, he could win the job. If he struggles and Phelps hits/develops defensively, Phelps could win the job. Another option is a mid-season trade if one or both fail.

Bernie has been one of my favorites dating back to his years as a prospect, but it was time to pass the torch to Melky. Thanks for 16 wonderful seasons, Bernie .

Comment

• Time to play in a dome So I wont have to worry about it getting postponed.

And Good thing Santana decided to pitch vs Chicago because I didnt want to play him

Comment

• The Yankees play the Twinkies today at 7 PM.

Carl Pavano (0-0) will go against Sidney Ponson (0-0)
              Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop
                Yes on A..... but I'll pass on B.

I miss Bernie, but our roster wasn't set up to carry him. 12 pitchers (a necessity, especially with the rotation's woes it's first time through) and 2 1B only allow for 1 extra OF. Melky and Kevin Thompson can play all 3 OF positions quite well.

Carrying 2 1B is a shame (Giambi is a DH now, though he'll still occasionally play 1B), but I understand the setup. I like Mientkiewicz, but, coming off back surgery, it will take some time to see if he can go the distance this season. Giambi's defense was atrocious and, at this stage of his career, the risk to his health (his knees are getting pretty bad) was too great to take by frequently putting him in the field. Wang and Pavano are ground ball pitchers, compounding the need for defense. Mientkiewicz is a good contact hitter and a top-3 fielding 1B, but can't supply power. Josh Phelps hit the cover off the ball in ST and is well worth taking a look at. He bats RH and hits LHP well, something to consider in our predominately LH hitting lineup. Mientkiewicz bats LH. In a horrible FA market, there just wasn't an everyday 1B available. Phelps has primarily been a DH, so he's a work in progress at 1B, but he's far better than Giambi in the field. It's a platoon now, but one or the other could claim the full-time job later this season. If Mientkiewicz hits like he did last season, he could win the job. If he struggles and Phelps hits/develops defensively, Phelps could win the job. Another option is a mid-season trade if one or both fail.

Bernie has been one of my favorites dating back to his years as a prospect, but it was time to pass the torch to Melky. Thanks for 16 wonderful seasons, Bernie .
                I have been sick and totally out of the loop - i go to work Sat night (1st time in the real world since Wednesday) to find out we havent won but like 1 game
                - WT*F

And thanks kb- after putting actual numbers to bernies tenure you make me feel real old - I remember him as a goggle wearing rookie He's actually the 1st Yankee Ive watched as a rookie through retirement He will always make my top 5 Yankees list - I LOVE YOU BERNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BERNIE BERNIE BERNIE

Oh I did see the highlights of gayrods walk off GS - yay - just wish they didnt interview him after so he couldnt ruin the moment by making it selfish (which is exactly what he did )

Comment

• Originally posted by RunYouOver
                  The Yankees play the Twinkies today at 7 PM.

Carl Pavano (0-0) will go against Sidney Ponson (0-0)
                  Should be fun

We should score at least 10 today. I wonder how many pregame beers Ponsons going to have??

Comment

• Pretty decent start so far. we scored a quick 3 runs. Now hopefully Pavano does his part

Comment

• 5-0 now.

Please hold this!
                      Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RunYouOver
                        5-0 now.

Please hold this!
                        Good thing someone else is here now. I didnt feel like double posting

but yea sweet HR by Bobby.

Good thing we got out of the 2nd now with no damage done.

Lets get some more runs now

Comment

• A-rod is going to have a monster year

another HR for him

8-1 Yankees

Lets go Pavano

get at least 2 more quality innings

Comment

• Pavano showed up in a big way.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

• Great game...got the bullpen a rest FINALLY.
                              Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Rasner has been moved to the BP. A #5 starter won't be needed until April 21st or so or so. Karstens and/or Wang will be ready by then. Looks like Karstens will pitch a rehab game Saturday, but the team is being extra cautious with Wang.

Congrats to A-Rod for becoming the 1st Yankee to hit 5 HR in 6 games to start a season .
                                Last edited by keithbishop; 04-10-2007, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X