Evil Empire Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees win 11-8

Farnsworth's mess along with a HUGE error by Nick Green made it close, but Rivera did the job he needed to.....

Magic Number: 28.

Sox are losing 6-3 with 2 outs to go....
    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Red Sox lost.....

Magic number--27!!
      Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
        Red Sox lost.....

Magic number--27!!
        Boston's just flat out bad without Ramirez in the lineup.

I'm really starting to get ticked off with all the "Boston is slumping because they're missing their 'captain,' Jason Varitek."

Newsflash: Varitek has SUCKED THIS YEAR. And, if the team needs him to hold their hand all the time, is he not just sitting in the dugout?

Boston as a team has had a 4.60+ ERA for almost the entire year. Shut up about Jason Varitek, please...

Comment

• Originally posted by WABronco
          Boston's just flat out bad without Ramirez in the lineup.

I'm really starting to get ticked off with all the "Boston is slumping because they're missing their 'captain,' Jason Varitek."

Newsflash: Varitek has SUCKED THIS YEAR. And, if the team needs him to hold their hand all the time, is he not just sitting in the dugout?

Boston as a team has had a 4.60+ ERA for almost the entire year. Shut up about Jason Varitek, please...
          you absolutley no idea what you are talking about. Hes the captain of the team one of the veterean leaders. With all the young pitching we have in lester,delcarmen,hansen and papelbon we need tek in there. Lopez sucks balls and no one calls a better game then tek,NO ONE. So while his offensive numbers havent been there his leadership and knowledge of the hitters in this league have been.

Comment

• Originally posted by OrangeShadow
            you absolutley no idea what you are talking about. Hes the captain of the team one of the veterean leaders. With all the young pitching we have in lester,delcarmen,hansen and papelbon we need tek in there. Lopez sucks balls and no one calls a better game then tek,NO ONE. So while his offensive numbers havent been there his leadership and knowledge of the hitters in this league have been.
            Losing Varitek hurts boston, that can't be questioned. He is the captain.... he is a leader...... meaning another vet needs to step up as a leader in Varitek's abscence Ortiz?? Lowell?? Schilling?? Loretta?? He should be back pretty soon.

The "calls a great game" stuff is a media creation, though. Most veteran Catchers, be it Varitek or Jorge Posada, know how to call the right pitch in the right situation. Most big hits are on pitches that miss the catcher's target. If a Catcher "calls a great game" does it mean the pitcher rarely misses his target??

Here's a quick breakdown on Posada:

Offense: Very Good hitter and has been so for a long time. Bounced back nicely from a rough 2005. Plenty of power and has delivered many clutch hits over the years. Slow as molasses on the basepaths..... slower this year because he's playing on an injured knee that will require offseason surgery.

Defense: Posada is having a career year throwing out runners, partly the result of working with 1B coach Tony Pena. There are times where Posada allows too many Passed Balls. He's a good athlete, but is far from perfect. 10 years as the Yankees Catcher says a lot about how good he's been.

Does he "Call a great game" ?? You bet he does. Does he get blamed by the New York media when Randy Johnson (soon to be 43 year old Randy Johnson, that is) struggles?? Absolutely.

If I'm to credit the success of potential HOF'er Curt Schilling and former red sox great Pedro Martinez to Varitek's game calling ( Papelbon too??), wouldn't I have to blame him for Beckett's struggles ??

"Game Calling" is overblown media BS. Name me some long term starting Catcher's like Varitek and Posada who DON'T have a good knowledge of hitters...... don't go for "offense only" types like Lopez and Piazza..... and feel free to go back in history. Did Tony Pena "Call a good game"?? How about Carlton Fisk?? Thurman Munson?? Mike McFarlane?? Mike Metheny?? Sandy Alomar?? Brent Mayne?? Ramon Hernandez?? Ivan Rodriguez?? Joe Girardi?? Brad Ausmus??

John Buck (Royals) calls a good game. His pitching staff sucks, though. That tends to put a damper on how his game calling is rated .
            Last edited by keithbishop; 08-28-2006, 05:59 AM.
            My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• Originally posted by RunYouOver
              Farnsworth is trying to lost this game for us.

Joe FINALLY takes him out with the bases loaded, no one out, and one already in.

11-5 Yankees.

Farnsworth sucks. :brick: :brick:
              Proctor and Mo struggled a bit...... Farnsworth looked horrible. Proctor and Farnsworth hadn't pitched since Monday..... Mo hadn't pitched in a week. Our big relievers shouldn't pitch EVERY game, but 6 to 7 days off will drastically effect how sharp they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop

If I'm to credit the success of potential HOF'er Curt Schilling and former red sox great Pedro Martinez to Varitek's game calling ( Papelbon too??), wouldn't I have to blame him for Beckett's struggles ??
                Beckett is stubborn even borderline arrogant about trying to blow his fastball by everyone, im sure hed benefit from listening to tek more. And yes papelbon struggled to after tek went down as well. Tek is one of the longest tenured sox on that team hes more of a leader than lowell loretta and hes right there with ortiz and schill.

One of the reasons i think this team is struggling is because they are young in a lot of areas. Lester delcarmen hansen papelbon even youk have never been asked to play this much. They arent used to the grind or pressure of a long season.

Pedroia looks pretty nasty so far though i love to watch that kid play all ready

Comment

Beckett is stubborn even borderline arrogant about trying to blow his fastball by everyone, im sure hed benefit from listening to tek more. And yes papelbon struggled to after tek went down as well. Tek is one of the longest tenured sox on that team hes more of a leader than lowell loretta and hes right there with ortiz and schill.

One of the reasons i think this team is struggling is because they are young in a lot of areas. Lester delcarmen hansen papelbon even youk have never been asked to play this much. They arent used to the grind or pressure of a long season.

Pedroia looks pretty nasty so far though i love to watch that kid play all ready
                  boston's recent struggles are definitely affected by Varitek's loss.... there's no questioning that. The struggles began after the all star break, though they have worsened recently. One question about Beckett, though: who would you say is more stubborn/arrogant/surly : Beckett or Randy Johnson?? I was only saying that if Posada is blamed for RJ's struggles, he should be credited for Wang's and Moose's success...... and if Varitek is credited with Schilling's success......

David Wells has been GREAT since returning from the DL..... better than Schilling, in fact. Game Calling has nothing to do with it or we'd have to credit Lopez, wouldn't we?? A veteran pitcher like Wells, Schilling or Moose will throw whatever he wants.... catcher's signals get shook off all the time.

Nothing against Varitek.... he's a great leader and player. All I'm saying is the "calls a great game" stuff gets overblown.

Comment

Oh Captain my Captain!

*fart*

Comment

• Carl Pavano

There are stories about this everywhere, so I won't bother with a link, but it looks like Carl has fooled me again. He broke 2 ribs in a car accident on August 15th. He made a rehab start THAT DAY and has made 2 since then. He announced he was ready to join the Yankees Friday night..... and announced his injury Saturday. Several Yankee players and members of the FO believe that Carl is afraid to make a start for the Yankees. Cashman said that SEVERAL Yankees have played through similar injuries.

Pavano is still scheduled to start for Columbus Wednesday, but he has a Dr. visit Tuesday.

Yes, I'm more than a little PO'd about this soap opera. Not surprised, though....

Comment

There are stories about this everywhere, so I won't bother with a link, but it looks like Carl has fooled me again. He broke 2 ribs in a car accident on August 15th. He made a rehab start THAT DAY and has made 2 since then. He announced he was ready to join the Yankees Friday night..... and announced his injury Saturday. Several Yankee players and members of the FO believe that Carl is afraid to make a start for the Yankees. Cashman said that SEVERAL Yankees have played through similar injuries.

Pavano is still scheduled to start for Columbus Wednesday, but he has a Dr. visit Tuesday.

Yes, I'm more than a little PO'd about this soap opera. Not surprised, though....

Let's get him the first plane ticket out of here
                        Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RunYouOver
                          Let's get him the first plane ticket out of here
                          Oh, the joy of his 4-year contract. :doh:

Comment

Oh, the joy of his 4-year contract. :doh:

The Red Sox are losing 5-0 in the Top of the 6th on the way to being 7 games out......
                            Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Trenton was rained out tonight, but Portland's victory over Binghampton clinched a playoff spot for the Thunder.

Portland cut Trenton's division lead to 3.5 games. Trenton's magic # for the division title is 5.

Comment

• More Pavano stuff: He threw a side session today. He'll visit the team Dr. tomorrow and then a decision will be made whether to start him Wednesday for Columbus.

Comment

Working...
                                X