No announcement yet.

Evil Empire Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There have been several rumors that the Yankees would pick up Sheff's 2007 option to trade him. Sheff's take:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ll-notes_x.htm

Quote:
    New York Yankees slugger Gary Sheffield, informed Wednesday that the Yankees will pick up his $13 million option in 2007, was angry by the decision, hoping instead the Yankees would let him go.
    ""This will not work, this will not work at all," Sheffield told USA TODAY. "I don't want to play first base a year for them. I will not do that."
    Sheffield, who heard that the Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Angels were interested him, said he was hoping to test the free-agent market and receive another three-year contract.
    "I don't know what they're [Yankees] going to do," Sheffield said. "Maybe they picked it up just to trade me. If they do that, if I just to a team for one year, there's going to be a problem.
    "A big problem.
    "I will not do this."

Nothing surprises me with Sheff. If Cashman can get something of value for him in a trade, great, but it's time for Sheff to get the hell out of Dodge .
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

• Originally posted by keithbishop
      There have been several rumors that the Yankees would pick up Sheff's 2007 option to trade him. Sheff's take:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ll-notes_x.htm

Quote:
      New York Yankees slugger Gary Sheffield, informed Wednesday that the Yankees will pick up his $13 million option in 2007, was angry by the decision, hoping instead the Yankees would let him go.
      ""This will not work, this will not work at all," Sheffield told USA TODAY. "I don't want to play first base a year for them. I will not do that."
      Sheffield, who heard that the Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Angels were interested him, said he was hoping to test the free-agent market and receive another three-year contract.
      "I don't know what they're [Yankees] going to do," Sheffield said. "Maybe they picked it up just to trade me. If they do that, if I just to a team for one year, there's going to be a problem.
      "A big problem.
      "I will not do this."

Nothing surprises me with Sheff. If Cashman can get something of value for him in a trade, great, but it's time for Sheff to get the hell out of Dodge .
      Wow a disgruntled Sheffield. That never happens

(remember he as a Dodger in the late 90s and pulled this crap as usual.) :hammer: :brick:
      NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

• Get rid of Shef and Arod - I dont want that crap on MY team :brick:

Oh and this whole "us out in the first round" is BS - I want a recall of any and all series that Kenny Rogers (not the singer) played in - cheating BASTURD

Comment

• Coaching changes

Don Mattingly was promoted from hitting coach to bench coach, replacing Lee Mazzilli. This makes Mattingly the favorite to succed Joe Torre after the 2007 season.

Kevin Long was promoted from AAA Columbus to be the new hitting coach.

There has been some interest in 1B coach Tony Pena for a manager's job elsewhere, though I hope he stays.

Comment

• Sheff is not happy about the trade rumors.

Great.
            Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RunYouOver
              Sheff is not happy about the trade rumors.

Great.
              Yeah..... but keep in mind that if Sheff were ever happy..... he'd get mad because he missed being unhappy :brick: . I greatly appreciate his contributions, but it's time to move on.

Comment

Yeah..... but keep in mind that if Sheff were ever happy..... he'd get mad because he missed being unhappy :brick: . I greatly appreciate his contributions, but it's time to move on.

Exactly.

We better get him traded.

He's only a distraction........
                Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• This just in, Cashman has a few offers on the board and he can make a deal whenever he feels like it. Apparently, he's in no rush, but has a couple deals to choose from all ready.

Looks like moving him won't be that bad after all.
                  Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Jeter wins another Gold Glove

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

1. Jeter won the Hank Aaron Award
                    2. Jeter won a Gold Glove
                    3. Isn't the MVP only fitting??

Comment

• From Buster Olney's Blog

4. The Yankees should keep Gary Sheffield, rather than trade him
                      They'll formally exercise the $13 million option for Sheffield for 2007 any day now, and will begin in earnest the process of fielding trade offers for the slugger. Sheffield turns 38 in a couple of weeks, but there is no reason to think he won't hit next year. He batted .298 with six homers and 25 RBI in 39 games this year, despite being hampered by wrist problems that led to surgery, and we saw at season's end that his bat speed was intact. And Sheffield's deal is actually worth less than $13 million, because about $4.5 million of his contract is deferred.

Once the Yankees put him out on the market, they'll find enough bidders -- but perhaps no enthusiastic bidders, no teams that would give them a solid veteran pitcher for Sheffield, or a young pitching prospect. They might get a useful part for Sheffield, but some teams are leery of the possibility that he'll turn into Shut-Down Sheff. "When he says he won't be happy, you take that seriously," one NL GM said last week, "because you know his history." With his next team, Sheffield is fully capable of making good on his threat to be unhappy unless he gets a contract extension; this is a recurring theme in his career.

If, in the end, the Yankees are offered no more than a useful part for Sheffield -- and that's my guess as to what they could get -- they ought to keep him. With a full spring training to prepare, he'd be a decent first baseman, or maybe he'd be a DH, or maybe injuries would create an opening in the outfield. If they trade Sheffield, one of the few good right-handed hitters they have, there's a very good chance they'll be trying to acquire someone like him by midseason of 2007 -- especially if Derek Jeter doesn't match the production of last season or if A-Rod continues to regress. The lineup is very heavy on left-handers, with Johnny Damon, Jason Giambi, Hideki Matsui and Robinson Cano; Sheffield balances out the order.

If Detroit wants to talk about swapping a decent pitcher for him, that makes some sense. If the White Sox were to dangle Freddy Garcia for Sheffield, that's something you'd have to think about, because of Garcia's experience and the short-term contractual obligation to the pitcher. But in the end, keeping Sheffield is probably going to be worth more to the Yankees than any player they acquire.

Keeping Sheffield motivated and relatively content is a separate question altogether, and I've got some thoughts on that for a later blog.

Newsday is reporting that the Yankees have a potential deal for Sheffield in place, perhaps with the Cubs or Phillies. If it's the Cubs, a guy the Yankees might ask about is reliever Mike Wuertz, and perhaps John Mabry, who would bolster their bench and could play first base. If it's the Phillies, a guy who makes sense, in return, is the hard-throwing Ryan Madson.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

1. Jeter won the Hank Aaron Award
                        2. Jeter won a Gold Glove
                        3. Isn't the MVP only fitting??
                        thats crap, lowell and gonzo both should of won gold gloves. christ lowell has the highest field percentage ever. the damn gold glove awards are nothing but a big popularity contest.

Comment

• Originally posted by OrangeShadow
                          thats crap, lowell and gonzo both should of won gold gloves. christ lowell has the highest field percentage ever. the damn gold glove awards are nothing but a big popularity contest.
                          I know Gonzo had a good fielding year, and I know statistically he was better, but stats don't show all the plays....Jeter made plays gonzo could only wish of making.

That being said, I would not have been upset if Gonzo won the gold glove at ss.

He did, after all, have a better year.
                          Administrator

sigpic

Comment

• Mussina, Yankees nearing deal?

November 4, 2006, 8:46 PM EST

Arn Tellem, the agent for Mike Mussina, said Saturday that he and the Yankees have made "substantial progress" in their negotiations for a two-year contract.

At this rate, Mussina's contract, which is expected to be worth as much as $25 million, could be finalized and formally announced sometime this week.

Mussina is coming off a six-year, $88.5-million contract and realized he needed to accept a smaller salary to stay a Yankee, which is his preference.

The Yankees realized Mussina deserves more than the $10 million a year they pay to Carl Pavano and entered talks willing to give Mussina about $12 million a year.

Negotiations began a little more than a week ago with an in-person meeting between Tellem and general manager Brian Cashman in the metropolitan area.

Tellem described the talks as "positive" in an e-mail Thursday, but he cautioned that "the sides have just started the process." Saturday, however, he was far more upbeat.

Mussina's expiring contract included a $17-million team option for next year; the Yankees have until Nov. 15 to decline it and pay a $1.5-million buyout. They already might have done so as part of negotiations.

The Yankees also will officially pick up Gary Sheffield's $13-million option before Sunday night's deadline, still with the intention of trading him to the highest bidder. Cashman declined to comment Saturday and Rufus Williams, Sheffield's attorney, did not return a message.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

• Originally posted by OrangeShadow
                              You're right. Jeter is completely over-rated.

1. This isn't a case of a player (1B Rafael Palmeiro) winning a Gold Glove after playing only 39 games in the field. THAT was the case people should have been screaming about.

2. What's the big deal?? I wouldn't have been upset had Jeter not won a Gold Glove. I wouldn't have been upset if he hadn't won the Hank Aaron Award. I won't be upset if he doesn't win the MVP. Awards are nice, but that isn't why Jeter plays the game.

LOL. I forgot to post this, but Mariano Rivera won the Fireman of the Year Award. There's a points formula for that one, but I suppose that's fixed, too.

Winter of bitterness and discontent in boston................

Comment

You're right. Jeter is completely over-rated.

1. This isn't a case of a player (1B Rafael Palmeiro) winning a Gold Glove after playing only 39 games in the field. THAT was the case people should have been screaming about.

2. What's the big deal?? I wouldn't have been upset had Jeter not won a Gold Glove. I wouldn't have been upset if he hadn't won the Hank Aaron Award. I won't be upset if he doesn't win the MVP. Awards are nice, but that isn't why Jeter plays the game.

LOL. I forgot to post this, but Mariano Rivera won the Fireman of the Year Award. There's a points formula for that one, but I suppose that's fixed, too.

Winter of bitterness and discontent in boston................

It'll stay like that for 80+ years.
                                Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X