Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soccer, uproar about the proposed new European Super League.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccer, uproar about the proposed new European Super League.

Just looking for your take on the above proposal and the uproar that arose from it which has caused the idea to be benched for the time being at least.

I was a big soccer fan here in London England in the 80's, I went to a lot of Arsenal home games then but my interest slowly faded and I became more interested in the NFL instead, one of the things that has permeated European soccer throughout all this time is that the clubs with the most fans and money generally dominate the game , there's no salary cap and never was, if it was Liverpool dominating here in the 80's it was Man Utd from 93 onwards, same on the continent with Real Madrid,Barcelona,Juventus,AC Milan,Bayern Munich.

My point of the thread is I just find it strange that fans of these clubs, Man Utd Liverpool Arsenal Chelsea act almost like they've been victimised when they lose to a 'smaller' team,re Arsenal losing to Villarreal a very decent Spanish team from a very decent league just because their club is richer than Villarreal,yet they protest outside the stadium because their club might join the Super League where they wouldn't have to face the 'indignity' of losing to 'smaller' teams anymore.

Another example is Man Utd fans demonstrating about the same thing and preventing their match against Liverpool going ahead,most of these 'fans' couldn't name a player in The Championship the next league down from The Premier League yet they're all upset about joining a breakaway league? it's like they can't think beyond what Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher say on Sky Sports or YouTube,players who never played for anyone outside the two 'biggest' clubs in England.

I find the uproar kind of pathetic,am I mistaken,what's your take,no worries if there's no replies it's not a soccer forum,thanks.

The uproar is pathetic.

However, in defense of the indefensible, people tend to hate change before the change happens.

It doesn’t really matter that they complain about losing to teams they shouldn’t lose to. They are comfortable with the way things are and were asked to accept change. That always provokes a pushback, sometimes an irrational one.

One of the things that drives me crazy, is when Americans act like relegation is a good thing. It might make sense in European soccer, it has no place in American professional sports.
    Last edited by broncolee; 05-30-2021, 09:09 PM.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Yes it's a bit strange that Sky Sports a Rupert Murdoch owned company have acted as a bulwark against this , interesting to see how the court case against Real Barcelona and Juventus goes , three clubs that still wanted to go ahead with the ESL despite the protests.

Here's a link that explains these clubs problem, https://sqaf.club/football-club-debt-list/

Barcelona are apparently facing bankruptcy,seems kind of incredible that such an obvious problem has been dealt with so clumsily.

Comment

Originally posted by dbfansincefeb87 View Post
        Yes it's a bit strange that Sky Sports a Rupert Murdoch owned company have acted as a bulwark against this , interesting to see how the court case against Real Barcelona and Juventus goes , three clubs that still wanted to go ahead with the ESL despite the protests.

Here's a link that explains these clubs problem, https://sqaf.club/football-club-debt-list/

Barcelona are apparently facing bankruptcy,seems kind of incredible that such an obvious problem has been dealt with so clumsily.
        Sky is not owned by Rupert Murduch or any of his companies. Sky used to be majority owned by 21st Century Fox, but is now owned by Comcast/NBC Universal.

To understand the protests, you have to accept thd sporting culture in Europe and the US is very, very different. The biggest issue with the ESL is that it would have guaranteed the six founder clubs permanent membership of the League, regardless of performance.

This is fundamentally against how soccer operates in Europe and most of the rest of the world. Whilst you have richer and poorer clubs, qualification to the European Champions League is still be League performance. You have to earn it on the pitch. In England, Spain and Italy, the top 4 clubs at the end of the season qualify for the following season's Champons League. Further to that the structure of domestic league is such that the bottom three clubs are relegated (demoted) to the second tier (called the Championship in England, Segunda A in Spain, and Serie B in Italy). The top three teams from the second tier replace them. In theory, therefore, every team has a chance one day of being champions of the top tier division and eventually Champions League winners.

The idea for an ESL is not new. It has been around since the 1960s. However, it has never been popular as it would effectively destroy the above model of sport based on performance. It would also wholly devalue the national.league competitions. And for what? Because a few ultra rich clubs have not been able to control their finances? Because they were terrified that they may not in future be able to qualify for the Champions League as other clubs may outperform them on the pitch? Real Madrid and Barcelona receive a much higher percentage of La Liga's collective TV agreements than most of the other 18 clubs combined. If they have huge debts to their own mismanagement, whose fault is that? Other clubs facing financial difficulty in Spain - such as my team Valencia - have had to sell most of their first team squad to balance the books. Why should Real Madrid and Barcelona not have to do the same, instead of forming a league with hundreds of millions in guaranteed money to bail them out? England is different in a way as the Premier League TV revenue is split evenly between the 20 teams. This is why the English teams found it easier to walk away from the ESL proposal.

In the US it does not work like that. There are a fixed number of franchises (32 in the NFL, 30 in the NBA), and there is no promotion/relegation). In England alone there are 4 professional divisions and over 20 divisions below even that.

As I said, it's a different culture. If there was a strict salary cap in European soccer, i can guarantee you this: Real Madrid and Barcelona are so horrendously run clubs they would never make the top 2 or 3 clubs. Indeed these clubs have even been strongly against the Financial Fair Play scheme of seeking to control spending of clubs.

Comment

Gary Neville's argument effectively is that Man Utd as a club was formed out of industrial working class principles just a few years after Charles Dickens died , my point being that was a different world a long time ago , I agree with what Jurgen Klopp says here , https://talksport.com/football/86831...-super-league/

another one of Neville's awesome arguments is that you wouldn't see another Leicester City winning the EPL again with a super league , neither would Leicester City without the late Thai billionaire owner of King Power's money .

The mentality of fans of the big clubs has been completely marinated in self entitlement and elitism for decades , I still remember Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa winning the old European cup , those days are gone and these ' pundits ' like Neville and Rio Ferdinand make a career of acting all butt hurt when Man Utd lose and now all of a sudden it's a ' war on football ' ?

I've started enjoying watching soccer again thanks to online betting companies streaming the continental leagues like Serie A , La Liga , Dutch Eredivisie and French Ligue 1 , I'd enjoy the Bundesliga too but all their matches seem to be covered by commentary that spoils the product , that for me at least is my problem , pundits and commentators , who needs them ?

Comment

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchest...-happens-again

This article demonstrates the ridiculous reaction to the super league.

I’m surprised the teams weren’t afforded the opportunity to go to the wall and take the black.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Working...
            X