NHL Season 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Season 2021-22

Ooof Vegas went for the big splash, but this is going to be such a mess for them. It's questionable whether they'll get their players back in time to even get themselves into the playoffs this year. And next year they have $3.8 million in cap space with just 11 players on the roster. And the majority of those 11 contracts have either full no movement clauses, or at least modified no trade clauses. All of those kudos today will quickly disappear when people realize what a train wreck they're going to be going forward.

Their entire roster building plans seem to be "we need to get the biggest names on the market always" and then when a new big name enters the market, they get rid of one of their other big name additions.

I would be cautious spending so much on Eichel. He's a highly skilled player, but not digging the vibe. I hope Buffalo wins the deal. Tuch is a real power foward with skill, and Krebs has high potential. Throw in the draftee part, and The Sabres might have helped their cause long term. Eichel can be a real star, but I am not crazy about what he's up to of late. Yes, normally the team who gets the best player wins the deal, but this may not be true this time around. Tuch is a playoff stud, and they are going to miss him alone.

Comment

So Butler, I'm taking it that you are glad he did not end up in Calgary, reportedly the other major competitor in the Eichel trade discussion. Was there real truth in Tkachuk being part of the deal, because he seems like a keeper?

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        So Butler, I'm taking it that you are glad he did not end up in Calgary, reportedly the other major competitor in the Eichel trade discussion. Was there real truth in Tkachuk being part of the deal, because he seems like a keeper?
        From what I've heard from basically everywhere is that no Tkachuk wasn't part of the trade offer. Even the Buffalo GM came out and said that he wasn't. I think the Flames got pretty angry when his name was out floating around, and they may have had something to do with the Buffalo GM coming out and admitting that. Based on what's been reported from the radio here, and Elliot Friedman, the Flames offer was two of their top 3 prospects, Valimaki, a couple of draft picks, and Sean Monahan to make the money work. I wanted eichel, but at the same time I'm glad Calgary didn't get him, that price was just too steep and their prospect pool too thin right now for them to give up some of the prized possessions they do have coming up.

As for Tkachuk, it depends on which version of him shows up. When he's engaged (think of him hammering Kassian three times in the battle of Alberta game in January 2020) he's absolutely a keeper and will be the next captain of the Flames. But if it's the player who's constantly trying to start a line brawl and getting mad at his teammates when then don't oblige (no one coming to his aid when Muzzin flipped the puck at him after a game last year) and he becomes completely disengaged, then he's really not much of an asset.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

From what I've heard from basically everywhere is that no Tkachuk wasn't part of the trade offer. Even the Buffalo GM came out and said that he wasn't. I think the Flames got pretty angry when his name was out floating around, and they may have had something to do with the Buffalo GM coming out and admitting that. Based on what's been reported from the radio here, and Elliot Friedman, the Flames offer was two of their top 3 prospects, Valimaki, a couple of draft picks, and Sean Monahan to make the money work. I wanted eichel, but at the same time I'm glad Calgary didn't get him, that price was just too steep and their prospect pool too thin right now for them to give up some of the prized possessions they do have coming up.

As for Tkachuk, it depends on which version of him shows up. When he's engaged (think of him hammering Kassian three times in the battle of Alberta game in January 2020) he's absolutely a keeper and will be the next captain of the Flames. But if it's the player who's constantly trying to start a line brawl and getting mad at his teammates when then don't oblige (no one coming to his aid when Muzzin flipped the puck at him after a game last year) and he becomes completely disengaged, then he's really not much of an asset.
          Thanks for clarifying the Tkachuk trade situation. I was kinda shocked when I heard it, because Eichel is a star type, but Tkachuk is not far behind in terms of skill/energy. As you say, depends on which guy shows up. But Eichel seems like a bit of a problem child, though his skillset is enormous.

It's interesting that he will be out for a while, and that Tuch, who I think is a perfect playoff player, is also out. Not sure if Krebs will develop as he should, and draft picks are unknowns. But these teams are different than others in some ways. Buffalo has just not lived up for so long. Not impressed with their decision-makers. And Vegas, easily one of the best new team stories in all of sports, has lost most of its players since joining the league. They do like to pull the trigger on quality players. Heck, when my team - The Jets, was allowed to join The NHL, we were treated poorly, whereas Vegas had so much more in the way of team building opportunity. Times have changed. We went from a dynamic WHA team to a mess! Hmmm, mind you, got some high first round picks for a while.

As for Tkachuk (and brother), he ticks me off sometimes, but after all, his dad played here, and his mom is from here. Might explain some of his characteristics.

Comment

Does Connor McDavid do things that others just can't? Well maybe that's a bit rich. But he scored 2 similar outstanding goals in a few games, that most players dream of. I have never seen a player with such speed and such control, and who is not a small guy. For those of us who play or have played the game, it's just not normal what he can do.

Comment

Working...
            X