• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone concerned about this?

I'm not sure if it's been posted but:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...7&sportCat=nfl

10. Denver
    There's enough firepower (Javon Walker, Travis Henry, Ian Gold, D.J. Williams, Champ Bailey, Dre Bly), enough upside (the chance that Jay Cutler will exceed expectations) and enough done-it-before history (Mike Shanahan rarely misses the playoffs for two straight years) here that the Broncos look like a potential playoff team.That's before factoring in what happened to the late Darrent Williams and remembering that tragedy invariably unites a football team and provides an overall purpose that may have been missing otherwise. I'm not trying to belittle what happened to Williams, the Broncos' young cornerback who was senselessly murdered outside a Denver nightclub last spring. But for the sole purposes of determining why a football team will be better or worse than it looks on paper, you can't underestimate the emotional makeup of a team that lost a beloved teammate for a really stupid reason, buried him, mourned him and eventually dedicated its season to his memory (as well as the memory of backup RB Damien Nash, who collapsed during a pickup basketball game last spring). Every little edge counts in the NFL. Just look at the Saints last year.

More importantly, the Broncos might have the easiest schedule in the league. They play Oakland twice, Kansas City twice, Detroit, Buffalo and Houston on the road, and Jacksonville, Minny, Green Bay, Tennessee and Pittsburgh at home. Let's say they go 3-1 against Oakland/KC, 2-1 in the easy road games and 4-1 in the easy home games. That's nine wins. Then, if they can steal one more game against San Diego (home), Indy (road), Chicago (road) or San Diego again (on the road in Week 16, when the Chargers may already have clinched a 1 or 2 seed and will be more interested in resting Tomlinson to screw up everyone's fantasy league finals), that gets the Broncos to 10 wins and pushes them into the playoffs. Sometimes it's that easy.

(My only red flag with the Broncos: Can't say I love the Jay Cutler feedback coming out of training camp. When you're repeatedly described as "quiet," "a loner" and "someone who keeps to himself," you're more qualified to be a serial killer than a starting NFL QB.)

Is he really that quiet? Does he not possess leadership qualities? I realize this is ESPN and they never exactly have anything nice to say about us but they wouldn't just pull that out of a hat.

I hadn't heard anything like this coming out of training camp...
    I hope it isnt true.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jbronco30 View Post

(My only red flag with the Broncos: Can't say I love the Jay Cutler feedback coming out of training camp. When you're repeatedly described as "quiet," "a loner" and "someone who keeps to himself," you're more qualified to be a serial killer than a starting NFL QB.)

Is he really that quiet? Does he not possess leadership qualities? I realize this is ESPN and they never exactly have anything nice to say about us but they wouldn't just pull that out of a hat.

Steve Atwater was very quiet, but yet a strong leader, I think this article is ludicrous and stupid and I wouldnt pay it a second thought.
      Last edited by Sam_Z; 09-07-2007, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Sorry J, but this isn't this first time on these boards that his quietness or low key demeanor has been discussed. I however have seen the Cutler who pumps his fist after a touchdown. You can't let yourself blow your emoitional load when you still have the next play, series, or game to think about. Not that there aren't plenty of flamboyant characters in the league (T.O., Portis...) But Jay just ain't one of 'em. After Chris berman, Stuart Scott, and a few former players, ESPN tends to get devisive to get ratings. IMO, John Clayton is one of the worst of them.

No cause for worry here J. He just keeps the passion in check instead of the other way around.
        sigpicCheck out "Broncos song" on youtube. Unless you are a judge in the Broncos Country Talent Search.

Comment

the Broncos' young cornerback who was senselessly murdered outside a Denver nightclub last spring. .
          I question this guys' credibility personally. January 1st is winter not spring. This guy needs to get his facts straight. After reading that line It's hard for me to trust anything he says.
          Last edited by Archimedes Owl; 09-08-2007, 06:29 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
          Sunsets Are orange and the sky is blue.......

Comment

I read this earlier too and thought it was just plain wrong. I really don't know where he got his facts from. I went to a few of the early camp practices and Cutler looked every bit like a solid leader. One time, right before the team started offense vs defense, the defense was huddled up and ready to "break it down." Cutler was running by and decided to push his way to the middle of the huddle, and I couldn't hear anything he was saying, but it was apparent that the defensive guys got a kick out of it. I just thought that was a pretty cool moment and showed that Jay is just one of the guys. Also, anytime he wasn't taking reps, he was usually standing next to Javon and the two of them would talk the whole time. Plus, he was just named team captain, which was voted on by the players. All that proves to me that he is anything but a "loner" or too quiet. He might not be the most fiery guy, but I'd rather have a quarterback with a good head on his shoulders and the respect of his team anyways.

Comment

I've heard he's quiet and humble and unassuming... but also that he's a leader.

It's possible to lead in the lockerroom and in the huddle and be quiet away from it.

I'm not worried. If I were to have concerns about Cutler, it'd be his accuracy and decision making... but I'm not concerned.

On a side note... does it bother anyone else when they say Nash died in a pickup basketball game? Would it be that much harder to say a 'Charity' basketball game?
              Thanks, Reid!
              sigpic
              Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

I'm not concerned about Jay Cutler at all. Maybe Cutler has to punch a teammate in the helmet to get some respect for being a leader?

But: "...if more than one person thinks so, it must be true"....
                Last edited by stnzed; 09-07-2007, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about this. Cutler is a leader and his teammates love his "emotionless" behavior on the field, because it shows them that he is not rattled and is going to go out there and get the job done.

Plus how can we go wrong with a QB named Jay Cutler? That is a freakin' awesome name for a quarterback.

Comment

I went to three practices during TC....

...I didn't see anything like what this guy is talking about!

Comment

You will see all the emotion you need if Cutler starts putting up "W"s.

We went through this "no emotion" thing with Griese.
                      While Plummer "Showed too much emotion"

MAybe Cutler will be the one who gets it just right.
                      The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Jay has been described by his teammates and coaches as a leader, so I don't really care what ESPN says about his leadership qualities. There's more to being a leader than being the "Rah Rah" guy. Some people lead by example and perhaps that's what Jay is doing at the moment. Maybe after he feels he's proven himself on the field, he'll be more vocal. How he controls the huddle is more important than how he acts on the sideline. Someone posted an article that told the story of how he corrected a receiver in practice who had lined up in the wrong spot. I would say that he definitely has some leadership qualities if he can identify a receiver lined up wrong and then correct the mistake.

I'll give the writer a pass on handing the Chargers the division and a top two seed, but to describe the Broncos beating the Chargers as stealing one is ridiculous. Last year was the first time in over twenty years that the Chargers won both games against the Broncos. It's not something to predict happening twice in a row. It should be expected that we will at least split with the Chargers. We might have a lot of new players and a new defensive coordinator, but the Chargers have a new head coach, defensive coordinator, and offensive coordinator. The Chargers weren't invincible last year, there's even less reason to believe they will be this year. Let's not forget that the Chargers game at Invesco last year was one of those four home games we lost after giving up a fourth quarter lead. If the defense is improved as it should be, no such lead should be lost if we have that kind of lead in the fourth quarter this year.
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" -Theodore Roosevelt

Now I doubt Teddy played much football, but it translates pretty well. Lead by example and play on the field.
                          Holdin' down the Blue and Orange fort here in Missouri....

Comment

I don't think it warrants concern, but they did say the same thing about Brian Griese. Like Shanahan stated "Jay will earn his respect on the field by consistently playing at a high level, that's the only way you're going to get respect in this league" (not verbatim).

Comment

This from the same website:

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
                              Grade: 72 | Key
                              Alert: None

Comment: Cutler started the final five games of his rookie season in 2006 and is clearly the future of the Denver organization at the quarterback position. There is a lot to like physically about Cutler. He has plenty of size and strength with a big body that can take a pounding, which he proved over and over in college at Vanderbilt. His toughness should not be questioned. He should continue to add bulk and strength but already has plenty to offer in this area. He is an above-average athlete who can elude the rush and make plays with his feet but is not exceptional in terms of foot quickness and speed. His arm is extremely impressive and he has proven early in his career that he is capable of making any throw asked of him. He can fit the ball into a very tight window, drill the deep out, or throw with power when rolling in either direction. Cutler is already a very good deep passer and certainly should continue to improve. He has a swagger and quiet confidence in his ability that should eventually translate into fine leadership qualities. He is cool and calm, and displayed good poise and awareness in the pocket for a young player. As you would expect from a rookie, Cutler turned the ball over more than any coach would like. He threw some ill-advised passes and held the ball too long at times in the pocket, which resulted in sacks and fumbles. He still needs work with his coverage reads and progressions, and Cutler has forced some throws and can be overly aggressive at times. His footwork could also use improvement, as he cannot get away with muscling passes off his back foot in this league, even with his outstanding arm strength. Cutler showed a lot in his brief time as the starter last season but that appears to be just the tip of the iceberg. Cutler has the makeup to develop into an upper-tier starting quarterback, and his intelligence combined with an offseason spent preparing as the starter will surely yield benefits.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

I'll be taking the word of actual talent evaluators over some columnist who knows a dude who knows a dude who knows some dude that went to the TC practices.....

Comment

Working...
                              X