Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C is for Cutler?

And also captain...And some other Bronco notes

Jay Cutler received the highest honor from his teammates heading into his first full season as the Broncos starting quarterback.

He is one of five captains.

The players also voted center Tom Nalen as an offensive captain. The defensive captains are cornerback Champ Bailey and safety John Lynch.

Coach Mike Shanahan said the special-teams captain will change every game. Kicker Jason Elam was voted as captain for Sunday's season opener at Buffalo.

Cutler received the honor after playing just five games as a rookie last season.

"It gives you an idea what the team thinks of him," Shanahan said today.

Per league regulations, captains will wear a "C" on their jerseys during games starting this season.

Lelie saga continues

The Broncos' saga with former receiver Ashley Lelie is not over.

The team is still seeking $440,000 in money that Denver won in arbitration last year. According to a NFL source, the Broncos plan to file a lawsuit in federal court after Lelie didn't make payments at agreed upon deadlines.

Denver traded Lelie to Atlanta in August 2006 after he held out from training camp. Lelie, now with San Francisco, won a grievance against Denver last year. The Broncos had to repay Lelie $220,00 in roster bonus money.

Crowder limited

Shanahan said rookie defensive end Tim Crowder was limited in practice Friday with an ankle injury and is listed as questionable for the Buffalo game. He also missed practice Thursday. Crowder was injured Aug. 16 at Dallas and he aggravated the injury against Arizona on Aug. 30. Cornerback Karl Paymah (concussion) and tight end Stephen Alexander (bruised calf) also continued to be limited in practice. Alexander is expected to play against the Bills, though.

Footnote

Shanahan said newly signed defensive end Simeon Rice continued to work with the goal of playing Sunday. ... As he often does before road games, Shanahan had crowd noise piped in at practice so the team can get accustomed to playing in a hostile environment. Practice was moved up an hour to help the team prepare for the 11 a.m. Mountain Time start.
    Administrator

sigpic

Originally posted by SM19
    How 'bout that? A captain and a Commodore.
    And a Cutler, and from a Christmasy town of Santa Claus.
    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

that sucks that crowder is out though i really wanted to see him pla
      Please get Mario Williams!!!!!!!!

Comment

Cookiemonster has retained a lawyer. C is for Cookie!
        The NFL being played overseas is a terrible idea.

Comment

C is for Cute Captain Cutler, former Commodore, Buffalo Bills butt kicker and cookie.

Comment

Originally posted by elwayfan805 View Post
            that sucks that crowder is out though i really wanted to see him pla
            Hes Questionable I believe.

But Great news about Captain Jay.

Hes in the mix with some future Hall of Famers.
            So he is in great company.

Comment

I would be interested to see how many teams have their starting QB as one of their captains. I know that other thread quoted an article that said Cutler was described as "quiet," "a loner" and "someone who keeps to himself." That just doesn't sound like a guy you would make a team captain, regardless of his position.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                And also captain...And some other Bronco notes

Jay Cutler received the highest honor from his teammates heading into his first full season as the Broncos starting quarterback.

He is one of five captains.

The players also voted center Tom Nalen as an offensive captain. The defensive captains are cornerback Champ Bailey and safety John Lynch.

Coach Mike Shanahan said the special-teams captain will change every game. Kicker Jason Elam was voted as captain for Sunday's season opener at Buffalo.

Cutler received the honor after playing just five games as a rookie last season.

"It gives you an idea what the team thinks of him," Shanahan said today.

Per league regulations, captains will wear a "C" on their jerseys during games starting this season.

Lelie saga continues

The Broncos' saga with former receiver Ashley Lelie is not over.

The team is still seeking $440,000 in money that Denver won in arbitration last year. According to a NFL source, the Broncos plan to file a lawsuit in federal court after Lelie didn't make payments at agreed upon deadlines.

Denver traded Lelie to Atlanta in August 2006 after he held out from training camp. Lelie, now with San Francisco, won a grievance against Denver last year. The Broncos had to repay Lelie $220,00 in roster bonus money.

Crowder limited

Shanahan said rookie defensive end Tim Crowder was limited in practice Friday with an ankle injury and is listed as questionable for the Buffalo game. He also missed practice Thursday. Crowder was injured Aug. 16 at Dallas and he aggravated the injury against Arizona on Aug. 30. Cornerback Karl Paymah (concussion) and tight end Stephen Alexander (bruised calf) also continued to be limited in practice. Alexander is expected to play against the Bills, though.

Footnote

Shanahan said newly signed defensive end Simeon Rice continued to work with the goal of playing Sunday. ... As he often does before road games, Shanahan had crowd noise piped in at practice so the team can get accustomed to playing in a hostile environment. Practice was moved up an hour to help the team prepare for the 11 a.m. Mountain Time start.
                Did you actually think they werent going to make him a Captain?
                SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon View Post
                  I would be interested to see how many teams have their starting QB as one of their captains. I know that other thread quoted an article that said Cutler was described as "quiet," "a loner" and "someone who keeps to himself." That just doesn't sound like a guy you would make a team captain, regardless of his position.
                  I agree with you 100%. I think they made him captain because it would help in this whole 'development' process. I mean how could they expect him to take charge of this offense/team and step up and be a leader without giving him the title Captain?
                  SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post

The whole captain thing is stupid..I hate seeing the stupid C on the uniforms..It looks cheesy and I think it makes the uniforms look bad.. But whatever I guess I'll just have to get used to them..

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon View Post
                      Well, considering he's been a captain in high school and college, apparently his teammates on every team he's been on know something about him that we don't. We're not on the sidelines or the field where he's probably a totally different person than when he's on camera and all that.

Comment

Working...
                      X