Ugly, And Sometimes Pathetic, But A Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly, And Sometimes Pathetic, But A Start

Anymore, with the way NFL teams do not play their starters much in the preseason, the first games of the season seem to be getting more and more bizarre every year.

I really don't know what to think about today's game.

Marshawn Lynch pretty much shred our D, and he had no help from JP Losman, who looked terrible...so it's hard to really judge our Defense.

I thought Cutler and the O showed signs of being great, and I think they will get better as time goes along.

But a win is a win, andafter what I saw from the Raiders and Jguars today, it looks like we should start 3-0.

It's good to win when you aren't playing well...it allows you to grow and still have a shot at the Playoffs.

But make no mistake about it, we were more lucky than good today, and we will have to get better, or we will be pulling another of Shanahan's MO by starting 6-2 or whatever, andfading down the stretch.

Today wasn't good enough to compete in the long run in the AFC.

To be fair they only gave up one td (other was special teams)...i thought the offense struggled more than the defense
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

"Basically my wife was immature. I'd be at home in the bath and she'd come in and sink my boats."

"I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government."

"I have bad reflexes. I was once run over by a car being pushed by two guys."

"I don't think my parents liked me. They put a live teddy bear in my crib."

Quotes by Woody Allen-----Hehehehehe

Comment

It really wasn't that bad. If it wasn't for Cutler getting so many low snaps and especially that one before the half, we would have won by more than a touchdown. Our tackling on defence was pretty bad, but they should be able to work on that this week and the weeks to come. Although Cutler did make some mistakes(Backwards pass, INT), he still was clutch and led this team TWICE down the field in the 4th quarter, one a missed field goal and of course the other the game winner.

Travis Henry didn't have a great start, but he eventually warmed up and had a great game for us. Our recievers were great, Javon, Marshall, and Stokley all did their job and contributed to the offense and the win.

When you really think about it, other than the return for a touchdown which was just sloppy special teams, we really dominated this game. Lynch ran through us during that one drive but altogether our defence did a pretty nice job, especially shutting JP Losman down(Though that isn't saying too much...).

I liked what I saw today, it was opening day and we came up really huge when it counted, especially with our sophomore quarterback playing in his first opening day game. We all know it is week 1 and no one can judge anything right now, but I still am very pleased with the way we played.

Comment

Broncos Bills
        1st Downs 23 13
        Total Yards 470 184
        Passing 299 72
        Rushing 171 112
        Penalties 3-31 5-40
        3rd Down Conversions 4-13 3-11
        4th Down Conversions 2-2 1-1
        Turnovers 1 1
        Possession 33:12 26:48

We dominated every category except the scoreboard. 470 total yards and 15 points???

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoInMich View Post
          Broncos Bills
          1st Downs 23 13
          Total Yards 470 184
          Passing 299 72
          Rushing 171 112
          Penalties 3-31 5-40
          Turnovers 1 1

We dominated every category except the scoreboard. 470 total yards and 15 points???
          Stats often lie....for instance, last year we were the No. 1 rated scoring Defense for the first six games of the season or so, and we all know how that turned out.

...and in the case of today's game, for all of our so-called 'domination', we never led until the final play of the game...and even at that we won the game by one point.

If JP Losman was any better than absolutley horrible, we lose that game, plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Gyro View Post
            It really wasn't that bad. If it wasn't for Cutler getting so many low snaps and especially that one before the half, we would have won by more than a touchdown. Our tackling on defence was pretty bad, but they should be able to work on that this week and the weeks to come. Although Cutler did make some mistakes(Backwards pass, INT), he still was clutch and led this team TWICE down the field in the 4th quarter, one a missed field goal and of course the other the game winner.

Travis Henry didn't have a great start, but he eventually warmed up and had a great game for us. Our recievers were great, Javon, Marshall, and Stokley all did their job and contributed to the offense and the win.

When you really think about it, other than the return for a touchdown which was just sloppy special teams, we really dominated this game. Lynch ran through us during that one drive but altogether our defence did a pretty nice job, especially shutting JP Losman down(Though that isn't saying too much...).

I liked what I saw today, it was opening day and we came up really huge when it counted, especially with our sophomore quarterback playing in his first opening day game. We all know it is week 1 and no one can judge anything right now, but I still am very pleased with the way we played.
            I was especially encouraged by Cutler's play. He confirmed for me he is a superstar in the making....and with Javon Walker and Brandon Marshall on board for the next few years, our Offense is going to be fun to watch....

But, for all of our moving the ball today, it did not translate into points...to score only 15 points with all of our numbers indicates we still have work to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
              Stats often lie....for instance, last year we were the No. 1 rated scoring Defense for the first six games of the season or so, and we all know how that turned out.

...and in the case of today's game, for all of our so-called 'domination', we never led until the final play of the game...and even at that we won the game by one point.

If JP Losman was any better than absolutley horrible, we lose that game, plain and simple.
              We won though.......

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoInMich View Post
                Broncos Bills
                1st Downs 23 13
                Total Yards 470 184
                Passing 299 72
                Rushing 171 112
                Penalties 3-31 5-40
                Turnovers 1 1

I think the most telling thing here is the third down conversions.......4-13 is terrible!! I think that is the biggest thing that kept us from scoring. I just looks strange; 470 yds offense, 23 first downs, and only fifteen points.......I blame 3rd down conversions.......can anyone guess what they will be working on this week in practice? Oh and special teams too......

It will get better. Overall, I was happy with the general play of the team. Nothing was perfect, but not bad for game #1.......

Comment

i thought we did good in the run defense overall.

marshawn lynch had like 50 yards on their only td drive.

the bills had to much 3rd and 9 conversions where they would just run the ball and get it.

plus that 4th and 1 it looked like we stuffed lynch but somehow he wiggled out of it.

besides that one horrible drive i thought our defense played very very good.

i mean our defense is ranked number 1 isnt it.

Comment

if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a party we'd have . . . or not have in this case
                    @MisterBerman

Go Broncos

Comment

Anymore, with the way NFL teams do not play their starters much in the preseason, the first games of the season seem to be getting more and more bizarre every year.

I really don't know what to think about today's game.

Marshawn Lynch pretty much shred our D, and he had no help from JP Losman, who looked terrible...so it's hard to really judge our Defense.

I thought Cutler and the O showed signs of being great, and I think they will get better as time goes along.

But a win is a win, andafter what I saw from the Raiders and Jguars today, it looks like we should start 3-0.

It's good to win when you aren't playing well...it allows you to grow and still have a shot at the Playoffs.

But make no mistake about it, we were more lucky than good today, and we will have to get better, or we will be pulling another of Shanahan's MO by starting 6-2 or whatever, andfading down the stretch.

Today wasn't good enough to compete in the long run in the AFC.
                      STOP:nono:

This is what bronco nation doesn't need, quit with the pessimist postings....why do you always pull some negatives out from some big positives.

Ugly and Pathetic are some harsh ways to describe this win, I mean are you serious? how so, sure cutler made 2 or 3 mistakes but overcame that bounced back and put it behind him and led us down the field for a win, its what you want to see in your QB hes growing up each game and hes going to be solid. Travis was solid, averaging 6 yds a carry we have ourselves a beast ladies and gentleman.

470 yds of total offense 2nd best in the league so far on opening week, sure we struggled to get the ball in the endzone but we still did a damn good job executing drives that should have been capped off with 3 points twice IMO, but its alright because we won and kept our defense fresh with the time of possession 33:12 in our favor something we could not do last year which caused our defense to slow down and give up big plays......

if anything negative its the special teams unit, hopefully they do get better but do keep in mind we went up against the #1 special teams unit in the league last year and one of the fastest guys in the NFL.

Lynch shred our D? 19 carries on 90 yds when we are playing the big play most of the game isn't really shredding the defense. the defense played great they played way better than people expected, the way Lynch was running he should have gone over 100yds with our soft run support but we stiffened up when it counted. You have to realize the reason they could run like that is we were playing the deep ball and trying to force lossman into a mistake, and avoid a huge 90 yd play down field, aka the bills specialty......all game we were basically just giving them what they can take, that was the game plan today, bates and his players executed it perfectly minus giving up a touchdown which was an incredible effort by Marshawn Lynch hes a good player, take a look at it tho we only gave up 184.0 yds of total offense, thats the least given up so far this opening week.

I think people are looking into Lynch's performance too much, a lot of those yards were basically given to him, our strengths = playing the pass, with our secondary and linebackers quarterbacks will suffer and like it or not we are not going to be a top 10 run defense but I bet we play the run a lot better next week as we go against the raiders, the game plan will change and jeff shoate won't be playing as much.

Quit looking into things so much, and realize the reason we never led is because a rare thing happened we missed 2 makable Jason Elam field goals, thats not the offense's fault that should be 3 points each time, we played a good pass defense we had a few good drives that would have turned out to be points, you really can't be upset at that your a broncos fan you should know Shanny plays for field goals a lot especially in close games with the time winding down hes smart because we should have been leading, but yeah hes known to play down to his competition.

We pretty much dominated if our special teams unit did not give up the TD, and we did not miss those 2 field goals. Im not angry at elam at all cause I knew he was gonna nail us a game winner like always.
                      Last edited by The Dyna$ty; 09-09-2007, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I agree!

Great Post! CP for you Dynasty!

Comment

Dynasty, that was an excellent post.

Everyone needs to understand that we were defending the run with 7 in the box for the most part. 90 yards allowed to a RB is a small price to pay if the end result is allowing 7 pts to their O.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                          J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                          R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by The Dyna$ty View Post
                            STOP:nono:

This is what bronco nation doesn't need, quit with the pessimist postings....why do you always pull some negatives out from some big positives.
                            You say to-mah-to, I say to-may-to. You say pessimist, I say realist.

470 yds of total offense 2nd best in the league so far on opening week,[/B]
                            15 points - 15th best in the league.

Lynch shred our D? 19 carries on 90 yds when we are playing the big play most of the game isn't really shredding the defense.
                            19 carries on 90 yards averages out to 4.7 yards per carry, which is pretty decent, especially for an offense that was among the league's worst in rushing last year.

14 points allowed - 17th best in the league. Admittedly, they scored on a return, but if you can't stop the kick returner, the offense doesn't even have to take the field.

Look what the good teams in the league did. Indianapolis threw down 41 points on New Orleans, and held the Saints' offense to 3 points. New England threw down 34 points and held the Jets to 14. San Diego scored 14 points against the Bears defense and held the Bears' offense to 3 points. The Steelers beat the Browns 34 to 7. Heck, the Lions scored 36 on Oakland's defense. We struggled to get 15 on Buffalo.

This game doesn't resemble any of those games. It resembles Washington-Miami, Tennessee-Jacksonville, Philadelphia-Green Bay, and we resemble those teams.

As for all the missed field goals on both sides, it would have been 18-17 Broncos had the missed field goals been made.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
                              As for all the missed field goals on both sides, it would have been 18-17 Broncos had the missed field goals been made.
                              Actually if all FGs had been made it would have been 21-17.

I also love how you are assuming that Buffalo is a bad team. This Buffalo team last year lost to Indy by 1 point, lost to SD by 3 pts. So what if NE clobbered the NYJs, Buffalo clobbered them last year 31-13 (also on the road).

On top of that it is just week one and fluky thing happen week one. In 2003 Buffalo spanked NE 31-0 opening week. NE finished 14-2 and won a SB.

Juron does a great job of preparing his teams for opening day, see last years 19-17 lost to NE @ NE.

So be a "realist" all you want, but a win is a win and some will be closer than others, but to put 470 yards on any NFL team, you need to have a good offense taht is executing most of the plays.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                              J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                              R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Working...
                              X