Tomlinson #1, Portis #8 best all-around backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomlinson #1, Portis #8 best all-around backs

Here's an interesting ranking of the running backs from last season from CNN/SI. This looks beyond mere rushing yards and assigns relative value for all aspects of a player's game. Quoted from Chargers' Tomlinson points the way when breaking down RBs
    Clinton Portis' wardrobe has included a pink fuzzy hat, a Bob the Builder outfit and what former Broncos teammate Steve Beuerlein called pajamas. He's strutted around the sideline wearing a gaudy gold title belt, proclaiming himself the best running back in the NFL. But is Portis -- traded this offseason to the Redskins for CB Champ Bailey -- the league's best all-around back?

Well, he's among the best -- but based on last season's stats he is merely No. 8. Remember, the caveat is best all-around.

Despite missing three games last season, Portis still managed to finish fifth in rushing. But there is more to being the best than just piling up rushing yards. In an attempt to weed out the pretenders and shine a light on the contenders for the title as the NFL's best all-around running back, SI.com took the top 15 rushing totals from 2003 and gave those running backs a point total for various elements of their game.

With 16 running backs in the mix (Domanick Davis and Eddie George tied for 15th with 1,031 yards), each player was awarded points on how his stats stacked up against the other elite backs. Sixteen points were awarded for first in a category, 15 for second and so on.

When the points were tallied, the Chargers' LaDainian Tomlinson emerged as the NFL's best all-around running back based on 17 categories, including games played, because staying healthy adds to the value of a premier running back.
    ...And the overall results are:
    Rank Player Pts.
    1. L. Tomlinson 226
    2. P. Holmes 223.5
    3. A. Green 210.5
    4. S. Alexander 179.5
    5. J. Lewis 171.5
    6. D. McAllister 162.5
    7. F. Taylor 157.5
    8. C. Portis 149
    9. R. Williams 135.5
    10. T. Barber 123
    11. E. James 119.5
    12. T. Henry 111
    13. C. Martin 94.5
    14. S. Davis 93.5
    15. D. Davis 87.5
    16. E. George 64
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

I think id take LT over Cp, not just because that post, but I mean, look what he can accomplish on the chargers no talent offense? I mean, if we stuck him here he could be awsome, aint gonna happen prolly but still.... that would be pretty sweet.
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Well, I would rather have LaDainian Tomlinson than any other RB in Football but if not him than I'd take Clinton Portis.

I bet a lot of People would say that too if he was still here. But now a lot of People on here don't like Clinton Portis anymore but whateva.

I wonder if LT was here how many of y'all would say it's the Denver Broncos Running System.

Comment

Ohh yeah, I agree. LaDainian Tomlinson is easily the best back in the NFL without question. He has all the tools and does everything at a high level.

Comment

Its not that i dont like Cp, like you said, i just think that LT is the better all around back, plus shanny would love him since he could easily be a featured back, an that would get rid of everyone talkin bout commitee and all, which is fine by me but yea, oh well too bad well prolly never get LT, hell prolly never ever see the playoffs either, I kinda feel sorry for him cuz he could really help a good team and look alot better, like say for us, i mean, we got olandis gary 1000 yards right? how many does he normally get? That would probably suggest taht LT could prolly get nearly 2000 if not 2000 here, IMO anyways.
          Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo_JoRo
            Its not that i dont like Cp, like you said, i just think that LT is the better all around back, plus shanny would love him since he could easily be a featured back, an that would get rid of everyone talkin bout commitee and all, which is fine by me but yea, oh well too bad well prolly never get LT, hell prolly never ever see the playoffs either, I kinda feel sorry for him cuz he could really help a good team and look alot better, like say for us, i mean, we got olandis gary 1000 yards right? how many does he normally get? That would probably suggest taht LT could prolly get nearly 2000 if not 2000 here, IMO anyways.

Oh easily 2000 here. I was thinking more along the lines of smashing every rushing record there is if Tomlinson was here.

Comment

One thing about that system thing though, you know how everyone says its just our system? well most systems do help certain parts of the game, I mean, SF has a really good passing game, and it makes quarterbacks look a bit better, not sayin taht Montana or Young werent good, but like, the system certainly helped. The same goes for us, i mean, Gary got 1000 yards one year, an no offense to him but hes no TD, but say TD and Cp, they were both really good backs here, but being in Denver certainly helped theyre rushing yards, so its like, our system helps you look better, but that dont mean your not gonna do ok somewhere else. It jus kinda bugs me how everyone says Portis was just from the system, i mean sure it helped but hes still a pretty darn good runnin back, but yea oh well just my 2 cents worth....
              Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

those rankings look pretty accurate . . . LT is the man, especially because he is producing with almost no passing game . . . Lewis deserves kudos for the same reason . . .

Comment

Priest Holmes is the best all purpose back in football. LT is the best pure runner.+
                  Broncos Suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Woods#21
                    Priest Holmes is the best all purpose back in football. LT is the best pure runner.+
                    I don't know, Jerome. LT had more rushing yards and better average PLUS he had 100 receptions despite playing in a crappy offense. And I seem to remember him being pretty good in pass protection, too. Sounds like it would be hard to top that as an all-purpose back.
                    ------

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                      I don't know, Jerome. LT had more rushing yards and better average PLUS he had 100 receptions despite playing in a crappy offense. And I seem to remember him being pretty good in pass protection, too. Sounds like it would be hard to top that as an all-purpose back.

True.... You make some good points but 27 TD's is hard to top. There are a lot of people you could make a case for.
                      Broncos Suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Woods#21
                        True.... You make some good points but 27 TD's is hard to top. There are a lot of people you could make a case for.
                        Hell, I didn't say Priest wasn't a scoring machine. That guy has a nose for the end zone.

Besides, I'm just playing the Devil's Advocate here. Stats don't tell the whole story. There are intangibles that just don't come across on paper. I'd take either one on my team but I'd definitely take LT over Priest because he's younger has, hopefully, a long career still ahead of him. Priest isn't an old man yet but he has hit the dreaded 30 year old mark.
                        ------

Comment

Hell, I didn't say Priest wasn't a scoring machine. That guy has a nose for the end zone.

Besides, I'm just playing the Devil's Advocate here. Stats don't tell the whole story. There are intangibles that just don't come across on paper. I'd take either one on my team but I'd definitely take LT over Priest because he's younger has, hopefully, a long career still ahead of him. Priest isn't an old man yet but he has hit the dreaded 30 year old mark.

Yep 100% correct. I would take LT over Priest any day of the week. Just due to his age if nothing else. I'd really like to see what LT could do behind even a decent offensive line.
                          Broncos Suck!

Comment

Lets look at the premis that Bronco backs get about 24 carries a game that is 384 a year at an average of 4.8 per carry that is 1728 and change for the year.

In order to get the 2000 he'd have to average 5.2 yards per carry. Do you think honestly that 16 games a year, 24 carries a game, 5.21 per carry is do-able.

Personnally I don't, I think it will be years again before anyone else cracks 2k again.

Comment

Re: Tomlinson #1, Portis #8 best all-around backs

Here's an interesting ranking of the running backs from last season from CNN/SI. This looks beyond mere rushing yards and assigns relative value for all aspects of a player's game. Quoted from Chargers' Tomlinson points the way when breaking down RBs

...And the overall results are:
                              Can't argue with that because LT is playing by himself. Its him and 10 other guys they might have just goten off the street.

Comment

Working...
                              X