Tomlinson #1, Portis #8 best all-around backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Orange_Crush21
    Where was Faulk, oh wait, nevermind he's done.
    Done? can you still remember the best playoff game in last years post-season? (and thats saying alot)

Marshall Faulk was the only thing keeping the rams from being slaughtered by the Pantherns no one else did a single thing, that night was the best performance of any running back since the RAM vs. Eagle game 3 seasons ago, and oh yeah that was Faulk again. And you're saying Marshall Faulk is more DONE than Eddie George?
    Beneath the shadow of the NFL's greatest player, AL Wilson shall cement his legacy in Denver - leading the new Orange crush to a third superbowl.

Comment

Originally posted by broncjoe
      You say Holmes is the best all around back in football, but you would take LT over him any day? Kind of a strange thing to say. Not the first though and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I said I would take LT if I were building my team for the future. Because of his age if nothing else. I think that Priest is better.... "27 TD's" But LT will be the far better runningback later in his career.
      Broncos Suck!

Comment

LT is already a better back. He rushed for more yardage and caught more passes than Priest did. Ladanian plays on a HORRIBLE team with NO WRs to keep the defense against him honest and off the line. Priest is good, but he isn't the same caliber of back as LT. Priest had a GREAT year. His best ever. He won't come close to that this year. But his 27 TDs doesnt make him the best back. How many runs did he have over 20yrds? What percentage of his TDs were under 10 yrds? Priest is not a threat to score anywhere on the field. He has a nose for the endzone inside the 9. LT can take it ANYTIME to the house.

My picks:

1) Ladanian Tomlinson
        2) Jamal Lewis
        3) Green
        4) McCallister
        5) Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Woods#21
          I said I would take LT if I were building my team for the future. Because of his age if nothing else. I think that Priest is better.... "27 TD's" But LT will be the far better runningback later in his career.
          But both e or all 5 backs need practice time and that just is not available, without either lengthening the practices or cutting the best backs time on field.

Holmes had a decent QB to help get him into the red zone, did not have to carry the entire team on his shoulders like LT did. LT didn't even have a Defense that helped. At least the chefs had some semblance of a D. He got a lot of cheap TD's, from a few yards out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
            LT is already a better back. He rushed for more yardage and caught more passes than Priest did. Ladanian plays on a HORRIBLE team with NO WRs to keep the defense against him honest and off the line. Priest is good, but he isn't the same caliber of back as LT. Priest had a GREAT year. His best ever. He won't come close to that this year. But his 27 TDs doesnt make him the best back. How many runs did he have over 20yrds? What percentage of his TDs were under 10 yrds? Priest is not a threat to score anywhere on the field. He has a nose for the endzone inside the 9. LT can take it ANYTIME to the house.

My picks:

1) Ladanian Tomlinson
            2) Jamal Lewis
            3) Green
            4) McCallister
            5) Holmes
            excellent post . . . if LT was on the chiefs he would be even more of a monster than he is now . . . put Holmes on the Chargers and he'd be just a very good back . . .

Comment

Lt, CP second then green.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                No, pass blocking is too subjective and doesn't have any official stats that I'm aware of. There's a link in the first post if you want to view the whole breakdown.
                I don't think that link was there when I first posted. Maybe I am just blind? That answers my question. Thanks.

And about blocking...I was thinking about pancakes, but I said pass blocking. I guess that is not as important of a stat, though.
                Thanks for the memories, John. We will always remember you.

You look great in Canton! Perhaps I'll get to see you some day...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Woods#21
                  True.... You make some good points but 27 TD's is hard to top. There are a lot of people you could make a case for.

Holems can definitely make the most of his scoring opportunities, but LT doesn't get as many. Don't hold that against him. He doesn't get to work with the o-line that Holmes does, nor does he even have another offensive weapon to help him out.

I don't know what LT would do with KC's current personnel, (there's a scary thought) but I think it's a reasonable assumption to say that Holmes wouldn't get 27 TDs in San Diego. No one would.

Not saying LT or Holmes is better, just saying that its a stat that has to carry less weight than some other qualities.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                  You should check these guys out

Comment

Re: Re: Tomlinson #1, Portis #8 best all-around backs

Originally posted by UltimateSoldier
                    Can't argue with that because LT is playing by himself. Its him and 10 other guys they might have just goten off the street.
                    If you would check out their roster, you'd see how close to an accurate statement you are making.

All you have to do is change that 10 into a 9, and you;d be right (since they did get Rivers...)

Comment

Another thing I like about Holmes is that he admits he plays behind a great offesnive line. People try and do interviews with him, and he says to talk to his offesnive linemen. Becuase they deserve all of the credit. I wonder If LT would do that.
                      Broncos Suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton

There have been almost NO successful teams that had a tandem or RBBC. The only reason they share time is that one back is either injury prone or neither is dominant. NO coach wants to do if they have the choice not to. Why did the PATS pay big money for that malcontent from CINCY. I'm sure that Belicheck is going to do RBBC again this year.

Stop the fantasy of having more than one HEAD BUFFALO RB. If y‘all are so committed to it join the OAK fans web site or better yet Cardinals. The good teams with good to great RB’s don’t share time. They pull them only when they need to rest them.

As I said on another thread, without the a #1 back there is no competition to for the 2-4 back to shoot for the job. With competition everyone gets better. The #1 back works harder to stay there, the others work harder to become the #1.

Everyone being equal did not work under communism either.
                        Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris for the Dolphins in 1972 or 1973 I think, both cracked 1,000. To me, that is dominance. "You know we are going to run down your throat, and you still won't stop us" That's called an ass-whippin, where I'm from.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                          Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris for the Dolphins in 1972 or 1973 I think, both cracked 1,000. To me, that is dominance. "You know we are going to run down your throat, and you still won't stop us" That's called an ass-whippin, where I'm from.
                          Jim Kiick was also in the mix with Csonka and Morris.
                          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                            I'm sorry I'd bet if we went back another twenty or so there would be more, one comes to mind GB's Taylor, Horning. But that does not mean much in the current conversation.

But I sorry but in recent history, say last 15 years NONE, ZIP, NADA.

Trying to compare 1972 to today is not quite what I had in mind when I spoke of RBBC or tandem. BTW Francio Harris and someone in PIT was a pretty good tandem.

Comment

Originally posted by broncjoe
                              You say Holmes is the best all around back in football, but you would take LT over him any day? Kind of a strange thing to say. Not the first though and I'm sure it won't be the last.
                              Who's the best and who would you chose are two different things. How about age being a factor, scheme being a factor, both of which were mentioned in this thread.
                              Suck is NOT a bronco fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X