Mike Shanahan (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Shanahan (Merged)

I think it's only fair that, after a loss like yesterday, that we examine the head coach of our Denver Broncos, Mike Shanahan, especially since (as I noted in another thread), yesterday's loss is a microcosm of what has occurred with our team over the past few seasons, and especially if we're going to throw Heimerdinger and Bates under the bus as a lot of us have.

Listen, I am a huge Mike Shanahan guy. I think he's a great coach, and he's done so much for this organization that he, more than any other coach we've had for any other of our sports teams, should be allowed games like yesterday's without being put under the microscope.

However, there's a difference between what I think, and what I know.

What I know is that Denver has won one divisional title since our Super Bowl win 9 seasons ago (which is worse than any 9 year span since our first Super Bowl appearance back in '77). We have missed the playoffs 3 of those 9 seasons. We have gone 1-3 in the playoffs in those 9 seasons. If we don't make it to the Super Bowl this season, it will be our longest Super Bowl drought since our first Super Bowl appearance. And in those 9 seasons, games like yesterday have been becoming more and more common place than not. For an organization that prides itself on being elite and setting it's goal on the Super Bowl every season, those are not stellar statistics. Yes, Denver has been competitive every year under Mike Shanahan. But we've been competitive every year really since our first Super Bowl year (and even some years leading up to that), minus a season here and there. The Broncos are just a competitive football team.

Worse yet, every year, Shanahan has been coming up with scapegoats for the Broncos woes. Last year, it was Larry Coyer and Jake Plummer. In 2003 and 2004 it was the secondary. In 2002, it was Brian Griese. We have 41 new starters since our 2005, 13-3 season, and 3 new coordinators, and we're having the same consistent problems. Inability to score in the red zone. Horrid special teams. No pass rush. Lack of overall talent compared to other teams like Indy and New England. Teams dominating us in the trenches. The only commonality in these problems is Mike Shanahan, who is in the position of both Head Coach and Head of Football Operations. There's no denying that Shanahan has not excelled in the dual role of coach and GM for years now.

Here's my bottom line. Mike Shanahan is in a position this season where if the Broncos don't make the playoffs for the second consecutive season this year, his job is safe. The Broncos made too many off season changes and have too new and young of a team to have totally unrealistic expectations. But next season, Denver must at least make the AFC Championship. Otherwise, Shanahan ultimately will be the scapegoat.
    sigpic

Originally posted by jeremy thorpe
    I can't agree with you more,it seems like this team has lost it;s drive to win. If you watch the press conference every week with shanny he always has an excuse. The fact is that are defensive line sucks, are offensive line sucks and the play calling is horrible. If we are going to win at all we need the passion that this team once had, and quit making EXCUSES!!
    I couldn't disagree more. he is our coach and a great one. We lost one game. Slow down! We are going to need more time for this SCHEME to work out on defense. Shanny is a great coach. Tell me if he was gone who would be available to fill his shoes. If anything... Shanny stays and the D line goes!

Comment

Let's all calm down here.

Of active coaches... only Gibbs and Dungy have better winning pct. Only Gibbs and Holgrem have more wins.

Yeah, yesterday sucked... but he's never missed the playoffs in back-to-back years. But you do sound ridiculous saying a coach in 1st place sucks.
      sigpicWe da Champs... you da Chumps.
      Super Bowl XXXII, XXXIII and 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by JWALKER84 View Post
        I couldn't disagree more. he is our coach and a great one. We lost one game. Slow down! We are going to need more time for this SCHEME to work out on defense. Shanny is a great coach. Tell me if he was gone who would be available to fill his shoes. If anything... Shanny stays and the D line goes!
        Our D-Line has been a problem for YEARS now - one Shanahan has been unable to fix (much like our Special Teams). Remember, Shanahan is in charge of player personnel, also.

And Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post commented that this was one of the top five worst coaching performances since Shanahan's been in Denver.

Shanahan may be a great coach, but so was Tom Landry, and eventually a change had to be made in Dallas to in order for that team to make it back to the Super Bowl. I'm not saying that's the case yet, and I'm giving Shanahan this season not to make the playoffs. But next year? AFC Championship or bust.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Champs Chumps View Post

Of active coaches... only Gibbs and Dungy have better winning pct. Only Gibbs and Holgrem have more wins.

Yeah, yesterday sucked... but he's never missed the playoffs in back-to-back years. But you do sound ridiculous saying a coach in 1st place sucks.
          I never said Shanahan sucks. I don't believe that.

And Shanahan missed the playoffs in '01 and '02.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy thorpe
            If we are going to win at all we need the passion that this team once had, and quit making EXCUSES!!
            Man i totally agree with you. The Broncos are just dead out there. They have all the weapons they need, they just need the passion. Their not coming together as a team. Once they come together, working as a team, then they'll be one of the best NFL teams out there.

Die hard Bronco Fan

Go Broncos!!!!

Comment

I too couldnt disagree more. I think Mike is still one of the best coaches in the NFL. His record over the years speaks for itself. However, your post is the most intelligent argument I have read on this board about assessing the coaching position.

Comment

Originally posted by Champs Chumps View Post

Shanny is a stud. I do think he need to loosen up on cutler though. When we passed it yesterday we moved the ball when we ran it we did not! I think shanny needs to take a good look at what cutler can bring to this team. I think if shanny would let him, Cutler could be a manning/palmer QB and we could use the run after there D is tired.
                Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Mike Shanahan won 2 Super Bowl titles and yet you want him off as coach. That's real supportive. I think you arm-chair GMs are hilarious.

Who would you have come in? Mike Shanahan the staple of the team. Everybody will come and go but he's the one that can keep the team competitive. After 1 lost, some of you have lost your mind.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                  2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Funny how everything including the fate of the coach is basically tied to that dang D- Line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think Shanny is great as a COACH. I do believe on the other hand that he should possibly step down as the GM. I think he has made some questionable draft moves in the past and he should focus mainly on coaching.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado1 View Post
                        Funny how everything including the fate of the coach is basically tied to that dang D- Line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Which Shanahan is ultimately in control over.

Look, I'm not hating on Shanahan. As I said, I'm a big fan of the guy. But I'm also not going to hang my hat on two Super Bowl victories that are quickly becoming a generation ago. Yes, Shanahan led us to the promise land twice and won it...nearly a decade ago. You can't use that forever. Eventually, Shanahan is going to have to move beyond keeping the team competitive, and actually accomplish what his own expectations are every season.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                          Which Shanahan is ultimately in control over.

Look, I'm not hating on Shanahan. As I said, I'm a big fan of the guy. But I'm also not going to hang my hat on two Super Bowl victories that are quickly becoming a generation ago. Yes, Shanahan led us to the promise land twice and won it...nearly a decade ago. You can't use that forever. Eventually, Shanahan is going to have to move beyond keeping the team competitive, and actually accomplish what his own expectations are every season.
                          Oh, i agree with you in some of your accessments. Just check my rant i wrote earlier on yesterdays loss!
                          http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=102341

Comment

Honestly mojo, I have to agree with you. Shanny did win two superbowls yes. But are we going to give him the benefit of the doubt for something he's done almost ten years ago? I love shanny, but he really needs to get things figured out. Especially defensively.
                            sigpic

Comment

Mike Shanahan will be in the HOF when his career is over.

One of the major challenges facing the Broncos is their success prevents them from having high draft picks every year. The Broncos at best over the Shanny's tenure have had middle of the round draft picks, and at worst late to end of the round draft picks. The fact they have remained competitive over the years speaks to Shanny's ability to get production out of lesser talent.

With a few exceptions, very few Broncos have had the production and success on other teams that they had in Denver. This is especially true at the skill positions.

The Broncos are a model organization, with a terrific head coach that has had consistent success that the vast majority of other teams envy. He is not perfect, and has made some bad personnel decisions, but his success speaks for itself.

That being said, Sunday's game against the Jags was not one of Shanahan's best games. There is plenty of blame to go around, but in my opinion you have to involve Henry early and often to beat a team like the Jaguars. That kind of game is the exception, not the rule however.

Comment

Working...
                              X