Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    There are always exceptions to every rule

The Raves won with Trent Dilfer on one of the best Ds of all time for one season.

The Bus won with Brad Johnson with a good solid offense and also a great defense.

What Shanny should take is that with our current defense we aint winning nothing and it could be years before we are legit so to speak again beacuse of this. Legit I mean by a 12 win type team that is a lock to be at least in the AFCChampioship Game.
    Of course there are exceptions... and you can win without a franchise QB. But have you noticed that those defenses (especially the Ravens) was a once in a decade TYPE D? Do you realize how much harder it is to build a team around the defense and make yourself a championship team, than it is around a franchise QB? How many did Dilfer and Johnson win? In fact, you won't find one "average" QB that has more than one once getting there.

Shanahan tried changing his philosophies when having Plummer. He tried to go to a very controlled offense, and build up the defense. Hence the moves for the Broncos and doing what he could to build THAT side of the ball, because we didn't have that franchise QB. Got all the way to the AFC Championship.

But I think expecting the ablility to replace SB caliber team.. replace teh number and the kind of talent we had... in just EIGHT years is expecting too much... ESPECIALLY when we just went to the AFC Championship game.

The fact that Shanahan is only one of TWO coaches to do it, says something. The fact that the other one was Tom Landry while he had Danny White and Tony Dorsett.... says a lot about what Shanahan has been able to accomplish.

I personally don't want to follow the path of the 49ers, the Bills, the Dolphins, and even the Cowboys (until they found Romo).... going through coach after coach after coach... suffering through the 5-11 4-10 seasons simply so we can find another coach that is as GOOD as Shanahan.

Seems like a bad path to take.

Comment

• After this weekend, Norv Turner just might be available!

Woo Hoo!

Comment

• Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
        After this weekend, Norv Turner just might be available!

Woo Hoo!

That thought is scarier than a ghost at halloween!
        sigpic
        Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
        -Sean Payton

Comment

• Originally posted by JWinn View Post
          I guess he couldn't.

Oh well, I can.

FIRE SHANAHAN?????

And get who?

Norv Turner?

No Marty Shottenheimer
          NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

No Marty Shottenheimer
            And after a 3-4 years stint here, he can go to the Raiders completing a sweep of the AFC West!

Comment

No Marty Shottenheimer
              Clearly a vast improvement to Turner.

We could do a lot worse.

He did take a trash team and build them into contenders.

Anyway, that most likely wont happen.

I think Shanahan retires ( the ONLY way he leaves - firing is just not a possibility unless Mike has nine kids and starts getting stoned, lol) when Kubiak is ready to come home.

A few more years of seasoning in Houston. Say.....5.

Comment

We could do a lot worse.

Anyway, that most likely wont happen.

I think Shanahan retires ( the ONLY way he leaves - firing is just not a possibility unless Mike has nine kids and starts getting stoned, lol) when Kubiak is ready to come home.

A few more years of seasoning in Houston. Say.....5.
                Id take Kubes any day of the week over a man with a 59-82 lifetime record and has personally screwed up 3 teams

Comment

• If shanahan retires.... Bill Cowher willl be available

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                    If shanahan retires.... Bill Cowher willl be available
                    forgot about him great point Ravage

Comment

forgot about him great point Ravage
                      Thats the ONLY coach I can think of... other than Shanahan.... that I would want here next season. I think Denver would be a team he would be interested in as well (that and/or SD). But the nucleus of talent we have on offense would have to be intriguing for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                        Thats the ONLY coach I can think of... other than Shanahan.... that I would want here next season. I think Denver would be a team he would be interested in as well (that and/or SD). But the nucleus of talent we have on offense would have to be intriguing for sure.
                        I'm not sure of the exact contract that Shanahan signed but I know he just signed one this year and he is the second highest paid head coach in the league. There is no way he is fired after this season unless there is some kind of buy out in his contract. I highly doubt our owner wants to give Shanahan all that money as well as pay for a new head coach. Especially given the fact that our owner loves our coach.

This talk is pointless if you are even considering a new coach next season. Maybe some of the people saying he should be fired would have a case for future seasons, but not in the near future.

Comment

We could do a lot worse.

That wouldn't really work with this team. He has taken crap teams and made them good but with multiple seasons of top 10 picks, not with consistent winning seasons. That is unless you plan on us having some 2-4 win seasons for the next few.

Comment

• Bump...

For no other reason than curiosity as to how fans are feeling about things now.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Been real quiet on the subject of shanny's head, but I will say now that he's done. Even had we won I'd still feel that way. I've been feeling his demise since the 2004 loss to the Colts. I know he's a great coach statistacilly, but there is something called film and every one of our opponents uses it. Those 15 scripted opening plays just don't work anymore. He's headed down the path of Shula. Miami couldn't fire him because he carried a moment. that's all Shanny's carrying is a moment (actually 2) but we are 10 years removed and where have we gotten? Only 1 season where we could say that we were truly dominant. Many wanted Reeves head and he led us to 3 AFC championships and 3 SB apperances. So if you compare their point-to-point spans, Dan did what we want Shanny to do. Does Shanny give us the best chance to win? IMHO Idk? Bad off-season decisions as well as questionable play-calling at critical game points. And I'm not just talking in games we've lost he's made insane decisions in games we've won as well. And I know there is a heck of a lot of player blame this year, but the coaching decisions do not help. But Shanny's tenure here's been a thrill ride for the Bad and Good. Wouldn't trade those years for anything, just like I wouldn't trade the Reeves years, or even the Wade Phillips episode. But alas all good things must eventually end.
                              #swapping

Comment

• What living room couch did we pull that bum Jim Bates off of. Can someone tell me why Ian Gold is covering wide recievers. All that guy Jim did for our D is bring in a bunch of fat guys that don't make plays.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X