Mike Shanahan (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flosstein View Post
    Been real quiet on the subject of shanny's head, but I will say now that he's done. Even had we won I'd still feel that way. I've been feeling his demise since the 2004 loss to the Colts. I know he's a great coach statistacilly, but there is something called film and every one of our opponents uses it. Those 15 scripted opening plays just don't work anymore. He's headed down the path of Shula. Miami couldn't fire him because he carried a moment. that's all Shanny's carrying is a moment (actually 2) but we are 10 years removed and where have we gotten? Only 1 season where we could say that we were truly dominant. Many wanted Reeves head and he led us to 3 AFC championships and 3 SB apperances. So if you compare their point-to-point spans, Dan did what we want Shanny to do. Does Shanny give us the best chance to win? IMHO Idk? Bad off-season decisions as well as questionable play-calling at critical game points. And I'm not just talking in games we've lost he's made insane decisions in games we've won as well. And I know there is a heck of a lot of player blame this year, but the coaching decisions do not help. But Shanny's tenure here's been a thrill ride for the Bad and Good. Wouldn't trade those years for anything, just like I wouldn't trade the Reeves years, or even the Wade Phillips episode. But alas all good things must eventually end.
    Whom would you replace Shanahan with?

Comment

• As I've said before, these are some people I'd want us to bring in for an interview

Josh McDaniels - OC Pats
      Jason Garrett - OC Cowboys
      Ron Rivera - LB Coach Chargers, Former D-Coord Bears

Comment

• Originally posted by Theonlymember View Post
        As I've said before, these are some people I'd want us to bring in for an interview

Josh McDaniels - OC Pats
        Ron Rivera's a piece of crap. No way on him. Jason Garrett though, might be someone to consider. Youd need to get a real GM though to go with any of those guys. What about Kirk Ferentz? What about Jeff Tedford? Mike Martz? What about Bill Cowher?

Comment

• Possible Coaches

Kubiak was the offensive brains behind the Broncos championship runs anyway. The Texans are doing just fine, but who knows if we couldn't bring him back to Denver

Comment

• Originally posted by Theonlymember View Post
            As I've said before, these are some people I'd want us to bring in for an interview

Josh McDaniels - OC Pats

Holy ish! Are f'ing kidding me?

What have any of these nobodies done that would make you think they'd be any better than Shanahan....These are people that have been interviewed and passed on or never even been interviewed.

Seriously Broncos fans, if you're going to slit Shanahan's throat, you gonna have to do better than this. ...

Comment

• Before everybody jumps on the Bill Cowher bandwagon...Just please consider the amount of patience the Stealers had before being rewarded with another SB.

Shanahan needs some patience too, but at least he's already given you a SB....

Comment

• Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                Before everybody jumps on the Bill Cowher bandwagon...Just please consider the amount of patience the Stealers had before being rewarded with another SB.

I agree with you Stnzed, but I do not at the same time. He deserves some patience, but the question is how much? He was the OC with the 49ers when they went to the Super Bowl and won, but how much was Walsh? Shanahan did not build that team, he built the quarterback somewhat as he did here with Elway. But same for in Denver when he took over, did he build the team? Some yes, but not all...many key elements were in place.

Maybe, just maybe it is time to yank all personel and staffing decisions away and let him be just a coach! If that does not work, then replace him!

Comment

Before everybody jumps on the Bill Cowher bandwagon...Just please consider the amount of patience the Stealers had before being rewarded with another SB.

Bill Cowher would pretty much be the only hire that would soothe my anger over firing Shanahan. If you're going to fire a coach like Mike Shanahan, you better do it with someone who's a proven winner. I do not support firing Mike Shanahan, but I will admit that a couple of hours ago, I wasn't opposed to the idea.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                    Bill Cowher would pretty much be the only hire that would soothe my anger over firing Shanahan. If you're going to fire a coach like Mike Shanahan, you better do it with someone who's a proven winner. I do not support firing Mike Shanahan, but I will admit that a couple of hours ago, I wasn't opposed to the idea.
                    And I guarantee you with the 'Marty' chants in the stands today, that Pat Bowlen is feeling the same way - he doesn't necessarily like or support the idea of firing Shanahan, but he may not be as opposed to it as he was before the game, either.

I think Shanahan is a great coach, but it's clear this team has no chemistry whatsoever. I keep hearing of all this talent we have, but we have shown virtually none of it so far. He's just not cutting it as GM, and because you can't have one without the other, what do you do? You either keep with him and hope he gets lucky, or you go a different direction.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by lancane View Post
                      I agree with you Stnzed, but I do not at the same time. He deserves some patience, but the question is how much? He was the OC with the 49ers when they went to the Super Bowl and won, but how much was Walsh? Shanahan did not build that team, he built the quarterback somewhat as he did here with Elway. But same for in Denver when he took over, did he build the team? Some yes, but not all...many key elements were in place.

Maybe, just maybe it is time to yank all personel and staffing decisions away and let him be just a coach! If that does not work, then replace him!

You know me, I will never argue that Shanahan should be in charge of personel decisions, but a coach has to be able to choose his own staff (Although I have always questioned the logic of a former pro LB coaching the o-line). This has worked for Holmgren, it can work for Shanahan.

And if Shanahan has run out of his patience grace period, then Cowher should have run out of his long before he won a SB.

And some of these candidates people have come up with are ridiculous.

Shottenheimer has won nothing compared to Shanahan's SB's.
                      Cowher would make sense, but he's the only legitimate candidate for what will be as much as 6 or 7 coaching jobs.
                      Cooordinators?....Position coaches?
                      And of all the college HC's named, nobody has even mentioned Pete Carroll.

Btw, where in the hell have you been?...
                      Last edited by stnzed; 10-07-2007, 05:58 PM.

Comment

You know me, I will never argue that Shanahan should be in charge of personel decisions, but a coach has to be able to choose his own staff. This has worked for Holmgren, it can work for Shanahan.

And if Shanahan has run out of his patience grace period, then Cowher should have run out of his long before he won a SB.

Cowher would make sense, but he's the only legitimate candidate for what will be as much as 6 or 7 coaching jobs.

I think people need to remember that the biggest difference between Cowher and Shanahan is that Cowher didn't have the personnel control that Shanahan has.

In essence, that is the biggest problem I see with Shanahan in Denver right now.
                        sigpic

Comment

You know me, I will never argue that Shanahan should be in charge of personel decisions, but a coach has to be able to choose his own staff. This has worked for Holmgren, it can work for Shanahan.

I agree, Cowher would be someone I would be stoked to hear take the job, he has gusto. But like Shanahan he has had his ups and downs, and in the same breath...you can only give a coach so much rope to hang himself! I say let Shanahan ride the year, if at the end we are in worse shape, well then I may agree it is time to go with Cowher. Carroll I think is to systematic, he could be good or bad and either way it will effect the whole of the team in which ever direction the team goes. Marty, I can see why people are talking about him, look how good the Chargers were with him and even they are 2-3.

But it may be time for a change, I love Shanahan and what he has done. However, you can only swallow so much of the same crud before your eventually ill from it!

And as for me, well I was hospitalized. I got real sick and they thought I was having a heart attack, but it was a severe internal infection and I have been resting for a while to get healthy again!

Comment

• Originally posted by lancane View Post
                            And as for me, well I was hospitalized. I got real sick and they thought I was having a heart attack, but it was a severe internal infection and I have been resting for a while to get healthy again!

That sucks lancane.

Welcome back, though! I'm glad you're better now.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                              That sucks lancane.

Welcome back, though! I'm glad you're better now.
                              Thanks Amigo!

Comment

• Well that kinda puts it all into perspective....

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                                I agree, Cowher would be someone I would be stoked to hear take the job, he has gusto. But like Shanahan he has had his ups and downs, and in the same breath...you can only give a coach so much rope to hang himself! I say let Shanahan ride the year, if at the end we are in worse shape, well then I may agree it is time to go with Cowher. Carroll I think is to systematic, he could be good or bad and either way it will effect the whole of the team in which ever direction the team goes. Marty, I can see why people are talking about him, look how good the Chargers were with him and even they are 2-3.

But it may be time for a change, I love Shanahan and what he has done. However, you can only swallow some of the same crud before your eventually ill from it!

Sounds like you do need some new crud to swallow!

Take care of yourself, Lancane!

Comment

Working...
                                X