Questionable Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questionable Pick

During this year's draft i heavily praised the selection of D.J. Williams over Running back Stephen Jackson as overall pick 17 for the Denver Broncos. But there were a few players on that Board who i didnt expect to be available:

1. Will Smith
    2. Kenechi Udeze
    3. Vince Wilfork

all of those 3 linemen were projected draft picks in the top 15.

Honestly i believe that D.J. Williams will become a probowler and twice as good as Ian Gold in the next two years. However, There is no denial that the aformentioned linemen are impact probowl material and Its almost a law in football that the Most important defensive positions are that of the Defensive Line....

Usually ranked (in terms of Importance):
    1. Interior Defensive Lineman
    2. Cornerback
    3. Weakside Defensive end
    4. Strong Side Outside Linebacker
    5. (strong) Inside / Middle Linebacker
    6. Free Safety

D.J. was a very good selection, but could the Broncos have passed up on an impact player playing a position of a much higher Value? I think there is no question that in the NFL today the defensive line is the most important part.
    Beneath the shadow of the NFL's greatest player, AL Wilson shall cement his legacy in Denver - leading the new Orange crush to a third superbowl.

good post...

i think the right decision was made considering the depth factor, but you make some solid points...
    Boss

Comment

Re: Questionable Pick

Originally posted by willynowei2
      During this year's draft i heavily praised the selection of D.J. Williams over Running back Stephen Jackson as overall pick 17 for the Denver Broncos. But there were a few players on that Board who i didnt expect to be available:

1. Will Smith
      2. Kenechi Udeze
      3. Vince Wilfork

Honestly i believe that D.J. Williams will become a probowler and twice as good as Ian Gold in the next two years. However, There is no denial that the aformentioned linemen are impact probowl material and Its almost a law in football that the Most important defensive positions are that of the Defensive Line....

2. Cornerback
      6. Free Safety

D.J. was a very good selection, but could the Broncos have passed up on an impact player playing a position of a much higher Value? I think there is no question that in the NFL today the defensive line is the most important part.
      Well, Ian Gold refused a last ditch effort to sign him right before Denver made their pick, so we MIGHT have gone with a lineman had he signed. I definitely wouldn't have minded.

However, Gold did not sign so the Broncos were faced with the prospect of not having either Gold or Mobley (due to his injury) at all next season. To me, with the top-rated OLB in the draft sitting there for us, that pick made the most sense.

Thank Ian Gold (or his agents) for ruining our chance at having both our cake and eating it, too.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I have 2 thought on this and by no means do I claim to ba a draft expert.

One, Perhaps overly optimistic but I am not sure we won't have a decent pass rush this year. Was anybody really expecting Bert Berry to have the kind of year he had last season going in? I think Hayward also performed well in his liomited role. Mainly due to Pryce on the other side. That hasn't changed. And they are always going to rotate 8 guys anyway. I also expect much more creative blitz packages because the addition of Champ and the improvement(hopefully) of Walls will allow us too. I think LB was a much bigger need.

Secondly, I think the wasted pick was in the 2nd round. I think Colbert out of USC was a great receiver, and I believe he was still on the board at 54. I would have much rather had him ovwer Watts. I might have taken him instead of Bell at 41 aswell. IMO

Comment

Broncos defense would have been rediculously stacked if Gold had settled for that money and Will Smith were to have been selected....
          Beneath the shadow of the NFL's greatest player, AL Wilson shall cement his legacy in Denver - leading the new Orange crush to a third superbowl.

Comment

Re: Questionable Pick

1. Will Smith
            2. Kenechi Udeze
            3. Vince Wilfork

2. Cornerback
            6. Free Safety

I think also have to consider that at that time Gold was already on his way out and the fact that Mobley had/has serious injury so the linebacking corp was depleted and Williams was the right choice to make.

I have also heard the DL is hardest postion to evaluate. More hit and miss than other postions. Since the draft Denver has done something about the interior with addition of Ellis.
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

The only person I would have chosen would be Vince Wilfork. I dont think the other guys will be any more productive in the short term. However, I do believe DJ will develope into a better defender than udeze and smith. I believe wilfork is a beast and would have been a great pick. There must be some negatives about Wilfork to keep us from drafting him. I just think we had a greater need for DT than WLB. All in all DJ will turn out to be a good pick.

Comment

The pick wasn't surprising to me at all. It was the person that I had expected us to grab from the start. We lost 2/3rds of our starting LB corp. How could we NOT draft a new one? Miami continues to put out GREAT LBs.. that are ready to contribute. Those DL aren't exactly slated in to the Pro-bowl automatically. Taking them is just as much a risk as any other position. I seem to remember a guy of Javon Kearse being a HIGHLY sought after player coming out of college. Where has he been after his rookie season? There are a ton of DL like that.

Comment

D.J. Was a short term need pick and a big need pick, but i feel that the Denver D-Line is plagued with aging pieces,

(Ellis, Coleman, Hayward, all over 30 and Pryce i think is 29)

We can all see this massive rebuilding project on the receiving core (its the same problem, because the ages weren't mixed so you had everyone retiring at once) so what happens is all the pressure is on the young guys to produce, and that can be a little overwhelming especially given the fact that good Interior D-linemen are so hard to find.

I just dont want us to have the same type of collapse as our rival did last year.

Comment

D.J. Was a short term need pick and a big need pick, but i feel that the Denver D-Line is plagued with aging pieces,

(Ellis, Coleman, Hayward, all over 30 and Pryce i think is 29)

We can all see this massive rebuilding project on the receiving core (its the same problem, because the ages weren't mixed so you had everyone retiring at once) so what happens is all the pressure is on the young guys to produce, and that can be a little overwhelming especially given the fact that good Interior D-linemen are so hard to find.

I just dont want us to have the same type of collapse as our rival did last year.
                    First of all, what do you mean that DJ is a short term need?

Also Hayward is somewhere in his mid twenties. Ellis if he's healthy probably has a few good years left in him.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                      First of all, what do you mean that DJ is a short term need?

Also Hayward is somewhere in his mid twenties. Ellis if he's healthy probably has a few good years left in him.
                      I mean Shorterm as in Immediate need, as in....

This year the New York Giants picked a long term developing prospect at Quarterback instead of pulling their heads out of their asses and getting Robert Gallery for an Immediate need. I dont mean it as in, DJ wont be welcomed in denver in 3 years....
                      He's probably going to turn into a cornerstone for the defense.

Regarding the age of the D-line, what I'm trying to say is that the ages are not staggard enough, in otherwords instead of having one player at age 30, one at age 28, and one at age 25, you've got 31, 30, 29 only one year apart so its a little scary in the long run.

Comment

I mean Shorterm as in Immediate need, as in....

This year the New York Giants picked a long term developing prospect at Quarterback instead of pulling their heads out of their asses and getting Robert Gallery for an Immediate need. I dont mean it as in, DJ wont be welcomed in denver in 3 years....
                        He's probably going to turn into a cornerstone for the defense.

Regarding the age of the D-line, what I'm trying to say is that the ages are not staggard enough, in otherwords instead of having one player at age 30, one at age 28, and one at age 25, you've got 31, 30, 29 only one year apart so its a little scary in the long run.
                        Good point. you are leaving out players that dont start. there are guys that contribute off the bench. coyer rotates alot on the d line.

Comment

This Is a good post..... Our DL have some holes, I think that Darnell Docket could be drafted as our 2b, Well But the draft of DJ over Jackson was great, considering that in our system good RB turns Great ones......

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

A few years back I remember us getting two older free agents by the names of Alfred Williams and Neil Smith, they did not do much except help us win a Superbowl.

Ellis could be the Daryl Gardner that we needed last year. Don't forget about Raylee... If he comes back healthy he could be real factor on third downs.
                            Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
                              A few years back I remember us getting two older free agents by the names of Alfred Williams and Neil Smith, they did not do much except help us win a Superbowl.

Ellis could be the Daryl Gardner that we needed last year. Don't forget about Raylee... If he comes back healthy he could be real factor on third downs.
                              From what little I know of Ellis I don't think he's the head case that Gardner is. Not to long ago he was considered one of the best interior DT in the pros. He's only 32 he just might have enough gas in the tank for two or three more seasons. Btw he is a native of Colorado that might also help to energize him.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                              X