Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Aspect Analysis: DB's and HB's (good read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Aspect Analysis: DB's and HB's (good read)

Hey, I got some time off and I wandered onto this site too check up on things (like you care ) and I figured I might as well flush my time away. So here goes:

The safeties.

Decent caliber of safeties, I must say. Very solid. The only true bad-egg, in my opinion, is Sam Brandon. Guy has all the talent, but his on-field speed is horrid, lacks coverage skills, and generally gets burned twice as much as Deltha O'Neal did.

Three guys who can lay the wood, only one is good at coverage.

Kenoy Kennedy. The Bronco favorite; the man has been fined $100,000 already as he enters the mid-stage of his career. That's a bad thing. Kennedy has all the ability to be a great overall safety (has shown stints of good coverage), hopefully he'll get all his orders in line for this coming season (and put out some damn turnovers already).

Nick Ferguson. The coverage guy. So far in the man's short-played career he has shown that not only can he spear a guy but can also play some decent coverage. IMO, the best safety on the team last year.

John Lynch. Brings leadership to the lockerroom, and probably has enough tricks to teach the other safeties till the end of their careers. Can't really lay down a hit as well as the others, but is the best tackler (there's a difference between a tackler like Lynch, and a striker like Kennedy); and also causes some good turnovers.

The corners.

My favorite position in football. The one-on-one battle between speedster and speedster. Awesome. Anyways...

Champ Bailey. Touted by many as the best corner in the league and rightfully so; the man brings a plethora of skills to the table. He's six feet, tackles like a safety at times, and can cover on an island all day. Likes to get into receivers faces and disrupt their routes, then use sheer speed and athleticism to cover them down the field. Something to note is that while he played for Washington they had a horrid defensive-line. I don't know another corner in the league that would be as good as Champ Bailey can be without at least decent defensive line to pressure the QB.

Lenny Walls. Up-and-comer. What he lacks in agility and footwork he makes up for in surprising speed and a towering heighth at 6'4". Has long arms which benefit him tons: he batted over 20 balls away last year. Doesn't seem to lose his composure much as he is often fired up to just be playing the game. This fiery-play on the field is another point: Walls is one aggressive player, which is good and bad, as it has drawn him pass-interference-calls-aplenty. Hopefully next year he can catch some more balls instead of bobbling them to the ground.

Kelly Herndon. Solid nickleback-type corner. Average speed but decent coverage skills. Has solid footwork and makes up for his lack of corner-speed by sticking to a receiver and making the play when the ball is about there. More than often this turns out better than it would for most corners as Herndon intercepted three passes last year; but in the playoffs when he had one hand injured his playing style was brutally severed and it resulted in him getting scorched more than ever. Is a good tackler, however, causing a fumble last year. A good overall corner.

Runningbacks. The staple of the Broncos offensive game since the Terrell Davis-era. Many, when asked who'd be the top three runninbacks in the draft, said, Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones, and whoever Denver picks. Indeed, as Denver has had success in the early, mid, and late rounds of the draft with runningbacks. From Terrell Davis, to the now-Redskin Clinton Portis.

The half-backs.

Mike Anderson. Half-back-turned-fullback. Once rushed for 1,500 and seems fit enough to do it again. I would have to think, though, that his abilities would be best used where he's been for the past few years: at the fullback position. But if he were to be a runner he wouldn't half-bad at it: he's got great power (being an ex-Marine helps), upper-and-lower body strength, and rather-surprising speed. May not be as fast as he used to be, however. Who knows for sure, though.

Garrison Hearst. Old fogie that keeps on trucking. Hearst has been the victim of many injuries making Terrell's later years look like cake. Has been comeback player of the year, twice. Most likely here for competition purposes but if he does indeed start he'd bring above-average skills at all the key attributes to a runningback, but nothing special in any particular area (besides experience).

Quentin Griffin. B.B. Mighty mouse. That-damn-bugger. At 5'7" you'd think Griffin could easily be taken over by the size and speed of the NFL of now. However that doesn't seem to be the case. Griffin brings some decent (but not breakaway) speed to the table, and agility that hasn't been seen since Warrick Dunn in his prime and Barry Sanders in pee-wee. Has the elusive moves to make team defensives look like idiots. Great balance and good awareness of whats going on, pass and run plays. Decent catching. While the mighty-midget has excellent lower-body strength it certainly doesn't show on the field as Griffin seems to be able to be taken down too easily at times. He also seems to get swallowed up in the battle between the lines; and isn't able to actually push the lines as is needed on short yardage plays. Good prospect, but a lot of questions.

Tatum Bell. Cool name. Nothing's better than Tatum. It just reeks of badditude. Anyways; Tatum can bring back that raw speed that left with Portis. Tatum may be the best fit for the Bronco system since maybe Terrell Davis: a one-cut, downhill runner. Shows good strength, can occasionally bowl over defenders. Lacks the jukes-and-spins of Portis but equals him in the speed compartment, being stated as "the fastest runningback in the draft". Has had fumbling problems in the past. Just doesn't seem to secure the ball as much as he should, dropping the rock most often when he shouldn't as his concentration seems broken on occasional plays.

Reuben Droughns. Half-back/fullback hybrid. Has decent speed, somewhere near Anderson's and Griffin's. Much is unknown about his actual running-ability, however, as most his duties are on kickoffs (where he does excell). Seems to be of the mold of a down-hill runner. Has decent hands and after-the-catch speed. Again, though, not much is really known about what he can do with the rock actually being handed off to him. Yet does seem like a promising player, returner or runningback.

Hope you enjoyed it; I had fun writing it. Discuss. Argue. Contemplate the troubles of the summer without football.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
    - Carl Sagan

jus wonderin here cuz i never could find it, wut exactly does it mean to be a downhill runner? just wonderin, hope we get squared away wit our runninback thing.....how hard can it be to fix fumblin problems tho? jw, i mean ive heard ppl say that cp had them to at firs, but yea im jus wonderin sorry if i sound retarded
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Dang good article man! If you can keep them coming: WR breakdown would be interesting as well ad LB and DL, then also TE. I agree with almost everything you say. Down hill runner to me is someone who runs straight in to the pile, not real elusive just picks up momentum to hit the pile, thats how I understand it and that is what Droughns is.

Comment

signing lynch was the best thing we have done since signing champ bailey. we are going to be great.

Comment

I downhill runner: think Terrell Davis. Basically you take the rock and try to make one or two cuts then otherwise just sprint forward, knocking defenders out of the way. Usually these are the less agile runners, but tend to be much stronger and harder to bring down.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
          - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOSFREAK317
            signing lynch was the best thing we have done since signing champ bailey. we are going to be great.
            I agree. Lynch is a stud. He's going to bring the right attitude to the defense.

Comment

Man nice Article.......

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Very good article...Great article....Gives you something to think about....Now...Let the debating begin....
                "If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward." - Jack Handey

Comment

Glad you guys liked it.

- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
                    Glad you guys liked it.
                    When can we expect the next?

Comment

What would you want in the next?

DB's and HB's are my two favorite positions in football, along with the WR position.

I guess maybe the QB's and WR/TE's. Whenever I get the time; may be awhile though as that's rare.

- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
                        I downhill runner: think Terrell Davis. Basically you take the rock and try to make one or two cuts then otherwise just sprint forward, knocking defenders out of the way. Usually these are the less agile runners, but tend to be much stronger and harder to bring down.
                        Actually isn't a downhill runner someone who runs north and south, compared to a east, west runner like Barry Sanders.

I agree with the Terrell analogy, but you could also put Portis in there because the Broncos made him a downhill runner.

That is why the question comes up about Griffen because he does not fit the typical Bronco Back system. Can he adjust, because I think the Broncos will not adjust to him.

One small thing left out is Anderson has trouble catching the ball out of the backfield and that is why in the Bronco system I think Droughns is a better canidate for fullback.

Good article on the assessments of the players.
                        Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

RD and MA have been promised time at RB, well they will get it during the first few days in camp and maybe some time in a preseason game. The one of them wil be gone and MA will be happy to share the backfield with Q.

Q is a gifted runner, has as much speed as everone, but perhaps TB, then might be hundred or two off TB's numbers.

Since we are not running 40 yard track meets. Not enough to make a difference 90% of the time.

With a full camp this year and a full year learning the playbook he will be hard to beat out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
                            RD and MA have been promised time at RB, well they will get it during the first few days in camp and maybe some time in a preseason game. The one of them wil be gone and MA will be happy to share the backfield with Q.

Q is a gifted runner, has as much speed as everone, but perhaps TB, then might be hundred or two off TB's numbers.

Since we are not running 40 yard track meets. Not enough to make a difference 90% of the time.

With a full camp this year and a full year learning the playbook he will be hard to beat out.
                            True its not 40 yard track but of the two Q might be the least likely to break 50+ yard run.
                            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I think so too.

I think Griffin has the ability to get some good chunks, but he really doesn't have that gamebreaking speed; but if he takes his moves out onto the open field, maybe he can/will get those large runs.

- Carl Sagan

Comment

Working...
                              X