• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos focus on center-quarterback exchange

Broncos focus on center-quarterback exchange
    By FRANK SCHWAB
    THE GAZETTE
    October 16, 2007 - 11:55PM

ENGLEWOOD -- The snap from center to quarterback is almost as old as football itself, but that doesn’t mean it is simple.

Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler will have to get used to a new center this week. Longtime starter Tom Nalen is out for the season because of a biceps injury, and Chris Myers is his likely replacement. Extra practice time is planned this week to build familiarity.

There’s no getting around the most important difference among centers.

“The quarterback has to get adjusted to — and it sounds weird saying it — the center’s butt,” Myers said. “All centers have different butts. They’re higher, they’re lower, they’re wider.”

Myers said he hopes that won’t be a problem. Nalen crouchs low in his stance, and Myers has patterned his game — and stance — after the Pro Bowl lineman. Nalen is only one inch taller, so that adjustment should be easy.

“I tried to be like him if I ever had to go in at center,” Myers said.

There still can be problems with the basic exchange. Last year when Cutler took over for Jake Plummer, he and Nalen hadn’t worked together and botched a few snaps.

Cutler said he thought the transition would be fine because he has taken snaps from Myers.

“I’ve worked with Chris a little bit in training camp because Tommy only went once a day and Chris was always in there,” Cutler said.

The center usually feels comfortable snapping to a certain place, and the quarterback adjusts his hand placement based on that. Broncos quarterbacks typically have held their hands far back because Nalen is low in his stance. Had the quarterbacks put their hands any further underneath, they would have been squatting down to receive the ball.

The quarterback will tell the center if he needs the ball a little to the right or left, or perhaps turned at a different angle, which is why a quarterback-center combination needs time to prepare.

“You have to spend a little bit more time and make sure the quarterback is comfortable with snaps,” coach Mike Shanahan said.

The timing is also crucial, especially on plays where the quarterback sprints to the right or the left. The center has to snap the ball and instantly move down the line on those plays. The quarterback has to make sure he gets the snap as the center is moving.

“They’ve been taking snaps for a long time,” Shanahan said. “Obviously, it’s usually certain types of running plays and sprintouts that can cause a little bit more work.”
    Since Myers has worked with Cutler, he said he is confident that all the snaps will be fine.

“I’m not nervous about the snaps, but I’m nervous about the games, you know?” Myers said with a chuckle.

Broncos sign Beck: Denver signed linebacker Jordan Beck and released linebacker D.D. Lewis. Beck, a third-round pick by Atlanta in the 2005 draft, spent the 2005 season on injured reserve because of a broken foot, played in 15 games last year and was released by the Falcons before this season. Lewis was signed to compete for the starting strongside linebacker spot, but played only on special teams before being released.

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Prediction: there will be C-QB exchange issues Sunday night.

Where is that Smiley that represents a NT licking his chops?
    60,000 out of 76,879 fans can't be wrong. Go Rockies!

Comment

Nah.. I don't think there will be. Heck, this may be better on Cutler's knees. Nalen had a low butt.

But I don't think there will be problems.

Comment

I hope not..they have had over a week to practice..Im just being positive.

If there are mistakes, please no turnovers!!

Overall, lets just play a better game of football!

Comment

I look forward to a mistake free game between the 2. I knew something was different when Jay started against Seattle last year but i couldn't really pinpoint it. Nalen's low butt made Jay try harder than he actually did before he got promoted, because when the ball was snapped he still had to bring the ball all the way up to his chest before he even released it. If Jay didn't have a strong arm, there woulda have been way more problems and Shanny didnt really think about that aspect. Jay didnt have that synch with Nalen until the Arizona game really. That game against SD you see that we worked shotgun alot and it was successful. We should've just ran a shotgun style offense last year when we put Jay in, because it definately took Jay some time and i still think even if Nalen was still healthy, Jay would still be learning to master Nalen's snaps. I guess theres just a certain way you have to dropback in with Nalen in order to get decent protection and get the ball off.
          Last edited by JoeBalla2k5; 10-17-2007, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBalla2k5 View Post
            I look forward to a mistake free game between the 2. I knew something was different when Jay started against Seattle last year but i couldn't really pinpoint it. Nalen's low butt made Jay try harder than he actually did before he got promoted, because when the ball was snapped he still had to bring the ball all the way up to his chest before he even released it. .

Here is an example of how low Jay had to get - his bottom hand is no more than a foot off the ground!

Vince Young is at the right angle.

Last edited by cutlerfan; 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM.

----------------------------------------------
            I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steely McBeam View Post
              Prediction: there will be C-QB exchange issues Sunday night.

Where is that Smiley that represents a NT licking his chops?

Will bet there isn't.

sig by Snk16

sig by White Dragon

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed...every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle...when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."

Comment

Those pictures are the perfet example. Just look at the same picture, but look at the difference between our line and tennesee's line, they are all big across the board. With our line its small in the middle but a little bigger on the outsides so in order to by some good time you had to scramble...it all makes sense. If you put Jay over Chris, Jay won't be kneeling half as low, meaning he wont have to work so hard just dropping back! Now Jay can see over defenses and throw down hill instead of Uphill so getcha popcorn ready, Cutler is takin over!
                Last edited by JoeBalla2k5; 10-17-2007, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by calibroncogrl47 View Post
                  I hope not..they have had over a week to practice..Im just being positive.

If there are mistakes, please no turnovers!!

Overall, lets just play a better game of football!

I think the extra week of practice would help to limit any problems. I mean it's not like the team found out Nalen would be out for the season half a week before the game. I would also like to see Cutler throw no INTs this week.
                  R.I.P
                  #27 Darrent Williams
                  #29 Damian Nash

Thanks MasterShake for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
                    Here is an example of how low Jay had to get - his bottom hand is no more than a foot off the ground!

Vince Young is at the right angle.

GREAT picture--makes more sense to me now. My knowledge of centers is when I was in 6th grade powder puff flag football, and I was the center (no, I was NOT a big kid, I think I was the only one that could remember the count!). Thanks~!

The King, the Captain, and the Scheff...LOL!

Comment

I wasn't that surprised when cutler had problems. I play center (last game tomorrow) and our qb has had problems adjusting... we are good now but it took us a few games on the varsity level, so even one or two games on the pro level doesn't surprise me THAT much...

The one thing that our qb seemed to do was leave before I finished the snap, either he or I would be moving apart and it would screw it up, so I slowed up my release.... sometimes the qb has to adjust but sometimes its the center too...

Either way heres hoping there is no screwups
                      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by 62OlinesDad View Post
                        Will bet there isn't.

I'll go with this answer!

Chris has to be excited!
                        sigpic
                        Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                        -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN View Post

I'll go with this answer!

Chris has to be excited!
                          BroncFanIN

Thanks, Chris honestly doesn't get too excited about the games........he pretty much just gets Antsy. He hates waiting for them. ( Think we gonna have to do something about Jackson....thats just not right )
                          Last edited by 62OlinesDad; 10-18-2007, 05:00 PM.

sig by Snk16

sig by White Dragon

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed...every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle...when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."

Comment

Originally posted by 62OlinesDad View Post
                            BroncFanIN

Thanks, Chris honestly doesn't get too excited about the games........he pretty much just gets Antsy. He hates waiting for them.
                            do you know if chris' stance is higher than nalens, that seems to be a good thing if it is, not sure if you know but if anybody on this site did it would be you. this also seems the be the topic of great discussion on this board

thanks for the input
                            sigpic
                            -------

Comment

"Broncos focus on center-quarterback exchange" ???

It's a problem dating back to when Cutler took over for Plummer.....Maybe this time next year they'll focus on the run defense. ....

Comment

Working...
                              X