No announcement yet.

Rod may play (merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it doesn't sound all that great. It was observed that Rod was visibly favoring his hip.

You can't run routes and get downfield if you're hip is messed up.

I really don't see Rod playing this year.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
      So it doesn't sound all that great. It was observed that Rod was visibly favoring his hip.

You may be right, but wasn't he favoring it while playing before the surgery?

I don't want him playing if he could do permanant damage, but could Rod at 80-90% be better than say Brian Clark at 100% at this point?

Also, it has crossed my mind that Rod is going to retire at the end of this year, and maybe we are gonna try and get him on the field, so he can make his last apperances on the field, in uniform, in front of the fans, like Rod deserves, and the fans could send him off the way he deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by cadencesdad View Post
        You may be right, but wasn't he favoring it while playing before the surgery?

I don't want him playing if he could do permanant damage, but could Rod at 80-90% be better than say Brian Clark at 100% at this point?

Also, it has crossed my mind that Rod is going to retire at the end of this year, and maybe we are gonna try and get him on the field, so he can make his last apperances on the field, in uniform, in front of the fans, like Rod deserves, and the fans could send him off the way he deserves.
        I think if Rod can't help this team, then I'd rather just have him placed on IR. There's no way he's at 80-90% if he's still favoring his hip this many months after surgery, and especially when Shanahan said just a couple of weeks ago that he was still a long way from stepping onto the field.

As far as him making one last appearance on field in uniform...for that, they'd probably just take the Terrell Davis/Steve Atwater route and have him suit up for a preseason game. I don't think you waste a spot on your roster in mid-season just so fans can see a guy in his uniform, even if that guy is Rod Smith. You need to have your best, most productive players out on the field at this time.
        sigpic

Comment

Who said he's favoring his hip?? What does that mean anyway? I favor my right arm more than my left arm, and if I was gonna fall on one, I'd fall on the left . . . not because the right is hurt, but because I don't want it hurt.

Maybe he's just being careful, and taking it easy the first few days. When he gets the feel of the field back, he could be 100%. I doubt it will be this week, but maybe in 2 or 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
            Who said he's favoring his hip??
            Broncos' Smith practices for first time this season
            By FRANK SCHWAB
            THE GAZETTE
            October 25, 2007 - 12:23AM

ENGLEWOOD - The defensive backs whooped it up every time Denver Broncos receiver Rod Smith jogged and caught a pass during Wednesday’s warm-up portion of practice. They chanted “We love Rod!” in unison.

After almost 10 months on the shelf, Smith was back practicing and catching grief from teammates. Smith, Denver’s all-time leading receiver, took his biggest step toward returning to a game since he had left hip surgery Feb. 26.

“It’s great to have him back,” coach Mike Shanahan said.

Smith hadn’t practiced since the end of last season. After surgery he sat out all the offseason minicamps and training camp. During preseason, he was put on the physically unable to perform list.

Players on the PUP list have to sit out six weeks. If they don’t practice in the three weeks after that, they have to go on the reserve-physically unable to perform list and are done for the season.

The Broncos brought Smith back a week before that deadline. Denver has until Nov. 14, three weeks after Smith’s first practice, to put him on the active roster or lose him for the season.

Smith, who looked like he was favoring the injured hip while he ran routes during the open portion of practice, declined comment. Shanahan said Smith took a few repetitions and looked fine.

“He’s doing all right,” Shanahan said.

Shanahan said he didn’t know when Smith might play. He said Smith could return as early as Monday’s game against Green Bay, although that seems unlikely. Shanahan said the Broncos would get a better feel of where Smith stands during practice this week.

“Hopefully there’s no setbacks, and we’ll get a chance to see what he can do,” Shanahan said.

The Broncos could use Smith. Javon Walker could miss five more games after having knee surgery last week.

“He’s one of our leaders,” cornerback Dre Bly said. “He’s been working tremendously hard to get back to this point where he can participate in practice, run routes and do what he’s been doing his whole career.”

Many players disappear from the team as they go through rehabilitation, but Smith was a constant in the locker room and made road trips with the team.

“He’s kind of the pulse of this team, heart and soul, whatever you want to call it,” safety John Lynch said. “It’s just a comforting feeling when he’s around.”
            sigpic

Comment

Broncos' Smith practices for first time this season
              By FRANK SCHWAB
              THE GAZETTE
              October 25, 2007 - 12:23AM

ENGLEWOOD - The defensive backs whooped it up every time Denver Broncos receiver Rod Smith jogged and caught a pass during Wednesday’s warm-up portion of practice. They chanted “We love Rod!” in unison.

After almost 10 months on the shelf, Smith was back practicing and catching grief from teammates. Smith, Denver’s all-time leading receiver, took his biggest step toward returning to a game since he had left hip surgery Feb. 26.

“It’s great to have him back,” coach Mike Shanahan said.

Smith hadn’t practiced since the end of last season. After surgery he sat out all the offseason minicamps and training camp. During preseason, he was put on the physically unable to perform list.

Players on the PUP list have to sit out six weeks. If they don’t practice in the three weeks after that, they have to go on the reserve-physically unable to perform list and are done for the season.

The Broncos brought Smith back a week before that deadline. Denver has until Nov. 14, three weeks after Smith’s first practice, to put him on the active roster or lose him for the season.

Smith, who looked like he was favoring the injured hip while he ran routes during the open portion of practice, declined comment. Shanahan said Smith took a few repetitions and looked fine.

“He’s doing all right,” Shanahan said.

Shanahan said he didn’t know when Smith might play. He said Smith could return as early as Monday’s game against Green Bay, although that seems unlikely. Shanahan said the Broncos would get a better feel of where Smith stands during practice this week.

“Hopefully there’s no setbacks, and we’ll get a chance to see what he can do,” Shanahan said.

The Broncos could use Smith. Javon Walker could miss five more games after having knee surgery last week.

“He’s one of our leaders,” cornerback Dre Bly said. “He’s been working tremendously hard to get back to this point where he can participate in practice, run routes and do what he’s been doing his whole career.”

Many players disappear from the team as they go through rehabilitation, but Smith was a constant in the locker room and made road trips with the team.

“He’s kind of the pulse of this team, heart and soul, whatever you want to call it,” safety John Lynch said. “It’s just a comforting feeling when he’s around.”
              Sounds like the reporter observed him to be favoring it, Shannahan said he's doing "alright". I'm sure first day back, he wants to get a feel for how it's gonna hold up, without going all out on it. Thats natural.

Like I said, you may be right, but knowing Rod like we all do, I just can't picture him not telling the team (Shanny)to put him on IR, and creating that extra roster space. You know Rod's gonna do whats best for the team.

If he feels he can help, I have no reason to doubt him. Whats your take on the whole deal? Is his career over? Or do you think he just needs more time for a true comeback?

Comment

Ya, that would be awesome to cinch it up in game 5. I heard what the town did after the first superbowl, sounds kinda fun, kinda scary. My truck is pretty big, so I doubt it could be flipped over.

I've got a feeling the series will end in game 5, either way. Rockies steal one in Boston, and finish at home, or Rockies win just one at home. Either way, traffic is going to be CRAZY!!!

I haven't even made hotel reservations yet, but it's usually not to hard to find one on Federal Blvd, nobody wants to stay on that side of town.
                Yea I would love to see them win it in game 5.
                I would be willing to flip over a few cares.
                It would give me something to do and kill time

But the city will be crazy then.

and we have reservations already.

Were going to be there for a week since were going to a basketball game and a hockey game too

Comment

Sounds like the reporter observed him to be favoring it, Shannahan said he's doing "alright". I'm sure first day back, he wants to get a feel for how it's gonna hold up, without going all out on it. Thats natural.

Like I said, you may be right, but knowing Rod like we all do, I just can't picture him not telling the team (Shanny)to put him on IR, and creating that extra roster space. You know Rod's gonna do whats best for the team.

If he feels he can help, I have no reason to doubt him. Whats your take on the whole deal? Is his career over? Or do you think he just needs more time for a true comeback?
                  Shanahan saying 'alright' is virtually the same as saying 'well, he was out there...'. Obviously, no one was expecting miracles after one practice, but Rod clearly didn't demonstrate he was ready to go, either.

As far as my opinion regarding his comeback...I would be pleasantly shocked if I saw Rod suit up and step on the field in a regular season game again. The fact is a minor hip surgery that was supposed to sideline him only for a couple of months or so in the early offseason has turned into a prolonged ordeal that is threatening to take him out an entire year. Any indication that he's still favoring his hip after all this time sinks me deeper into my pessimistic perspective regarding his situation. The fact is he's 37-years-old, his production drastically regressed last season, and he's missed too much time this year to simply come back and make the impact we're used to seeing from him.

Then again, it's Rod Smith, and if he's proven anything, it's that he can rise up and perform against the odds.

But the simple answer is no, I don't believe Rod will ever be back on the field. Here's hoping that he proves me wrong.
                  sigpic

Comment

For real man did Rod beat you up at one point in your life?Every single thread that has been made with something optimistic about Rod,you gotta come in and start talking negative crap like,he'll never play again,or that he should just retire?...Throughout Rod's 13 year career,he's been hated on by everyone,no one ever gave him a chance,look at what he's achieved in his career to date...Keep the hate coming man,you might call yourself a realist but your nothing...Nahda!

Rod will be back within 5 weeks Max!!And he'll once again put to bed those Critics and all those who doubted his ability.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jamal View Post
                      For real man did Rod beat you up at one point in your life?Every single thread that has been made with something optimistic about Rod,you gotta come in and start talking negative crap like,he'll never play again,or that he should just retire?...Throughout Rod's 13 year career,he's been hated on by everyone,no one ever gave him a chance,look at what he's achieved in his career to date...Keep the hate coming man,you might call yourself a realist but your nothing...Nahda!

Rod will be back within 5 weeks Max!!And he'll once again put to bed those Critics and all those who doubted his ability.
                      No one is hating on Rod.

We are just looking at the film, reading the coaches comments, and even reading Roddys comments about the situation.

We all love Rod, but the human body is a unique piece of work.

Having Rod come back to play to early could mess him up for his life!

Even if he did play in the MNF football game... what do you really think he's going to do?

Do you really think he'll be better then Glen Martinez?

We all love Rod, and we're glad to see him "running routes" at practice.. but he's not ready for the NFL speed... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamal View Post

I'm not hating on Rod - I don't hate the guy. He's probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite Bronco of all time (Elway is a definite #1 and Sharpe and Smith alternate the #2 and #3 spots).

I'm just being realistic about the situation. He's had a noticable limp every time I've seen him since the surgery (even as early as a few weeks ago). He's 37-years-old. He didn't play well last season. He's missed all of training camp, all of preseason, and nearly half of the regular season. Yet, some fans here think he can come in and play like he did circa 2001, and somehow produce like Javon Walker once was and Brandon Marshall is.

In the best case scenario, Smith comes back and MAYBE gets the #4 spot. How much of an impact is he really going to have at #4?

There comes a point when you have to realize your better days are behind you, and move forward. I certainly don't want to see Smith become another Jerry Rice, Issac Bruce, or Tim Brown situation. I'd rather him go out and keep his dignity in tact. But something tells me he's going to be the guy that tries to stick around much too long.
                        sigpic

Comment

well as for him favoring his hip.....i favor mine and have all my life since i had recontructive surgery in the third grade...and i'll say this i limp, always have, and still at least once a week have someone ask me, did you hurt your leg cause your limping?...but i doesnt hurt most times, and as i played football, wrestled and later in years softball didnt effect me in game time

so it may be that its sore...it may be not healed or it just may be he's conditioned himself throughout these past months to unconciously favor it
                          sigpic
                          when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                            well as for him favoring his hip.....i favor mine and have all my life since i had recontructive surgery in the third grade...and i'll say this i limp, always have, and still at least once a week have someone ask me, did you hurt your leg cause your limping?...but i doesnt hurt most times, and as i played football, wrestled and later in years softball didnt effect me in game time

so it may be that its sore...it may be not healed or it just may be he's conditioned himself throughout these past months to unconciously favor it
                            But this isn't high school or even college sports. This is the NFL. And in the NFL, you can't play wide receiver with a bum hip.
                            sigpic

Comment

Realistically...

I think if anyone can do this it would be Rod. But looking at the facts, it is a bit disheartening:

In early training camp Rod said this (courtesy Mason's Morsels):

What Smith underwent was officially dubbed an arthroscopic debridement surgery on his left hip, but it proved to be a more extensive procedure than was initially expected.

“It was more than just a tear,” Smith said. “There was cartilage damage. There was bone on bone in parts. Bone spurs. Chips. Fragments.”
                              Add to this that (from Clinics in Sports Medicine, Bharam et al):

Return to competition after hip arthroscopy in a motivated athlete with the aid of athletic trainers and physical therapists can be successful. The author's series of professional athletes who had labral tears from seven different sports demonstrated successful return to preinjury athletic activity after hip arthroscopy [11]. The earliest return to sport was seen with the golfers (average 6 weeks), followed by hockey players and skaters. Baseball and soccer players averaged twelve weeks. Addressing bony abnormalities during arthroscopic intervention for labral tears may require extended protected weight bearing, however, which may potentially prolong return to sport.
                              This is talking about an average of 3mo prior to return in Soccer and Baseball (both non-contact sports) in young athletes. Add to this that if there was bony or cartiledge problems it would "potentially prolong return to sport" and what Rod is facing is a mountain.

Look, he had multiple issues - labral tear, cartiledge problems, bone chips (sounds like microfractures) and now he's trying to come back to a contact sport all at the ripe age of 37. It is possible, but it is something that only a Rod Smith could do.
                              To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Comment

WooHoo, Rod My Favorite Bronco!

Comment

Working...
                                X