• Show
Clear All

• Cutler's Situational Stats

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/...aFSScMxcb.uLYF

2 interesting ones I saw...

on 1st Down, 0 TD 4 INT's
    on 3rd Down 3 TD 1 INT

and a 116.0 Passer Rating on 3rd Down

if there is one thing i'm really impressed with, with this years team is the success on 3rd down. espically on 3rd and long. idk what the %age is, but i'm sure its higher than it was last year

Comment

Originally posted by Magneto83 View Post

on 3rd Down 3 TD 1 INT

That could be because he'd start throwing on first down after we scored?

He decided to go for the big one?

Comment

on 3rd Down 3 TD 1 INT

Nice stats. I also noticed it's a progression and he gets better each down, including 2nd down:

1st Down: 62%, 0 TD, 4 INT, 58 rating
        2nd Down: 64%, 4 TD, 3 INT, 86 rating
        3rd Down: 77%, 3 TD, 1 INT, 116 rating

This is just my hypothesis but it seems like the Broncos try a lot of riskier plays on 1st down, hoping that coverage will be lax and Jay forces a lot more passes to his #1 target. When it gets to 3rd down, Jay seems to focus more and doesn't throw as many risky passes, more intent on getting a first down than getting a big play, and does a better job working through his progressions.

Another interesting stat is that Jay is good on passes 20 yards or less (in the air) and has actually bad stats on his 20+ yard throws. Well, say some people, of course the deeper throws will be worse. But Jay is lauded for his strong arm, which doesn't jive with the stats. And deep passes actually tend to have a higher passer rating due to the higher yards per attempt and generally higher ratio of TDs.

Finally, Jay has a very respectable 86 passer rating when being blitzed. That means he doesn't buckle under the extra pressure, which is good.

Regardless, both good and bad stats don't mean much right now because he doesn't even have a full season under his belt yet. The kid is remarkably calm at the most crucial times which bodes well for his long-term success.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon View Post
          That is clutch.

Comment

I hate 1st down INTs. Throw the ball away and you still have two plays to make a first down.

But on 3rd and long, an INT isn't that costly, if it's down field. There's a good chance you'll punt next down any way.

Jay's just gotta learn to be more conservative on 1st down, and he'll greatly improve. Take the chances on 3rd.

Comment

Nice stats. I also noticed it's a progression and he gets better each down, including 2nd down:

This is just my hypothesis but it seems like the Broncos try a lot of riskier plays on 1st down, hoping that coverage will be lax and Jay forces a lot more passes to his #1 target. When it gets to 3rd down, Jay seems to focus more and doesn't throw as many risky passes, more intent on getting a first down than getting a big play, and does a better job working through his progressions.

Another interesting stat is that Jay is good on passes 20 yards or less (in the air) and has actually bad stats on his 20+ yard throws. Well, say some people, of course the deeper throws will be worse. But Jay is lauded for his strong arm, which doesn't jive with the stats. And deep passes actually tend to have a higher passer rating due to the higher yards per attempt and generally higher ratio of TDs.

Finally, Jay has a very respectable 86 passer rating when being blitzed. That means he doesn't buckle under the extra pressure, which is good.

Regardless, both good and bad stats don't mean much right now because he doesn't even have a full season under his belt yet. The kid is remarkably calm at the most crucial times which bodes well for his long-term success.
              Javalon that is good info.

One thing I noticed about Jay at Vandy is that he seemed to always get better each year. I don't think Jay has peaked yet it will be fun to see when he gets it all together

Godspeed Cutler

----------------------------------------------
              I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

It does jive with his arm.... but it depends on the WRs as well. Walker has been out, and thats hurt the deeper game. So right now thats hard to distinguish.

Although, I have noticed that he's having a hard time just judging how deep to throw it. SOmetimes he holds up and when he tries to put touch on the ball.. its getting INT'd. Same with the deeeeep ball. He holds up, and under throws.

Comment

Screw conservative!!! I hope Cutler stays aggressive, I hate the New Age QBing.

Btw, studies have shown that Pro Football is the second leading cause of Stats, second only to MLB....

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                    Screw conservative!!! I hope Cutler stays aggressive, I hate the New Age QBing.

Btw, studies have shown that Pro Football is the second leading cause of Stats, second only to MLB....
                    There ya go!! You got it right. Don't want Jay to hold back. What did I tell ya about a year ago my friend!!!

By the way ya got my cheerleader.
                    Last edited by vandyman53; 10-26-2007, 06:39 PM. Reason: The cheerleader
                    As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Originally posted by vandyman53 View Post
                      There ya go!! You got it right. Don't want Jay to hold back. What did I tell ya about a year ago my friend!!!

By the way ya got my cheerleader.

Your cheerleader, Vandy? :nono:

Btw, I've had it with the "manage the game" QBing....I don't care if he gets an INT....

Comment

on 3rd Down 3 TD 1 INT

Where is Tellway? Maybe he could give us a comparison of Cutler vs. Elway on this stat at this stage of their careers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Axe View Post
                          Where is Tellway? Maybe he could give us a comparison of Cutler vs. Elway on this stat at this stage of their careers!
                          I was thinking the same thing.

But those are impressive numbers and its nice to have a clutch QB like him. Ever since he came in last year it seemed like we didn't have many 3 and outs. And if you look this year we hardly have any. He can move the ball down the field.

And I agree Stynzed. I dont want a qb to manage the game. I want a QB to dominate the game. If he throws a pick who cares? The reason Jake went so long without throwing an INT a few years ago was because he was just managing the game and playing not to lose.

Then last year Shanny let Jake be Jake just so he could end up starting Jay.

And it paid off.

Comment

Originally posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
                            And I agree Stynzed. I dont want a qb to manage the game. I want a QB to dominate the game. If he throws a pick who cares?
                            Unfortunately, a LOT of people do. But they don't take into account how guys like Elway and Favre are different types of QBs than guys like Manning and Brady. Right now it's in vogue to be the highly efficient QB and the gunslinger isn't viewed as highly as he used to be. But, in my opinion, you just have to be a really GOOD gunslinger and you'll be as effective, if not more so, than the efficient guys. (Of course, Brady's stats argue against that right now. )

The thing about the gunslinger type QB is that they will get a lot of picks. What they need to be successful is to make more big plays than they make INTs. Look at Favre's and Elway's TD:INT ratio and it doesn't wow you. But their number of wins sure does.
                            "You can't take the sky from me..."
                            ------
                            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Unfortunately, a LOT of people do. But they don't take into account how guys like Elway and Favre are different types of QBs than guys like Manning and Brady. Right now it's in vogue to be the highly efficient QB and the gunslinger isn't viewed as highly as he used to be. But, in my opinion, you just have to be a really GOOD gunslinger and you'll be as effective, if not more so, than the efficient guys. (Of course, Brady's stats argue against that right now. ;

The thing about the gunslinger type QB is that they will get a lot of picks. What they need to be successful is to make more big plays than they make INTs. Look at Favre's and Elway's TD:INT ratio and it doesn't wow you. But their number of wins sure does.
                              Yea I know. It seems like people want Jay to make picture perfect passes. Some people would rather have Vince Young because he wins games with his amazing passer rating.

Of Course I'd rather win games but I would like to see us winning games 34-10 and Having Jay throw 3 or 4 Tds a game. But I dont have him on my ff team so I dont care how many td's he throws

The thing that I love about Jay the most is of how clutch he has been in his 11 career starts. The 49er drive to Tie the game is my favorite one. Even though we lost that game and I was upset for a little bit I was happy at what I saw in Jay and had a feeling our future looked bright.

But I dont care how he does it as long as we win. It seems like all people remember about Elway was that he won 2 Superbowls.

I would love to see a Cutler vs Brady AFC Championship game this year.

I've been dreaming about that for a while now.
                              I'd rather lose to Brady in the playoffs then Manning.

But hopefully we can get things all taken care of these next few weeks.
                              We can easily be 5-3 after our next 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X