I Like the QB Sneak Call!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blue diamond View Post
    4 yards to gain. It was a terrible call.

Anyone who said "he would have scored had he gone left" is a moron, that side of the line was blown up, then he tried to go right, but Pears got owned again, and EVEN if it gets the 1st down, we still only end up with the TIE.
    You might want to look again before you call people morons. The left side was NOT blown up. In fact the DE tries to run a stunt or something with the DT and both guys get completely sealed off. Graham goes free to the second level and takes out a linebacker. If Cutler goes left, he easily gets the first down and has a great shot at the TD with only a safety in the end zone with a shot at the tackle.

Before calling names, you might want to make sure of your statement lest the name come back and apply itself to you.

But the fact is, Cutler didn't go left. He went right. And he still should have picked up the first down and spiked the ball with at least 12 seconds to go, easily time for 2 more pass attempts before kicking the field goal, if necessary. But he didn't and so we went to overtime, just like if we had missed a pass.

The reasoning behind the call was sound, even if it didn't work. C'est la vie.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by broncsx3 View Post
      Yes, I agree with this 100%. The playcall was Shanahan trying to out think the defense. They were expecting a pass, we QB sneak with no RB in the backfield... never see it coming.

Unfortunately they set up with multiple linebackers and the call was clearly not a good one when they got to the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately... game on the line... the young QB probably doesn't have the ability, or at least permission, to audible out of the sneak into a pass play. I'm sure Manning would have loved to come to the line and see a run defense out there.
      It looked like a nickle package on defense. That could go either way. We had 3 wide and would hopefully spread out the D, although the formation did look a little less than run-friendly. But there still should have been enough room for a 1-yard run. Unfortunately, the right side of our line made no running room whatsoever against Kampman and Picket.

IMO, Cutler made a mistake by running to the right. Kampman looked all-world against us and the left side of their line looked much stronger than their right. Add to that, Graham was blocking on the left side of our line (their right) which means we had 3 (or 4 if including the center) blocking 2 defenders on the weaker side of their line, if needed. It turns out Graham wasn't even needed there and broke free to the second level to take out the linebacker in the area.

Cutler should have run left. He didn't. And was more crucial than the call.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Cutler. It was a split-second decision and he reacted to where he thought he could get the yardage and it didn't work.
      ------

Comment

Bad Call!

Totally a bad call when you're down 10-13 and you have 15 seconds. If we had a minute left, maybe a decent call but I trust Cutler's arm more than our running game. Broncos loss yesterday totally ruined my Monday but good thing there was only 2 hours left til Tuesday. We need to stop having Elam save us from losing and need to learn how to keep our lead when we're up. We're not the Raiders, so let's stop playing like them. No blame on the players, I blame the poor play-calling. We should be playing aggressive, no holds barred football and risk alot more. So many chances to win the game but we just can't seem to capitalize. Let's get our act together and play like champions. By the way, if a Packer fan talks smack to you about the OT win they got, just give them a reminder, Super Bowl XXXII. Go Broncos!

Comment

Originally posted by broncoscountry78 View Post
          Totally a bad call when you're down 10-13 and you have 15 seconds.
          The played started with 22 seconds. Cutler was tackled with 19 seconds on the clock. If it had been a first down we could have easily spiked the ball with 12 seconds left and two more shots at the end zone plus a FG try. And that's assuming he didn't score a TD.

I agree it would have been a bad call with 15 seconds left. But 22 seconds is a huge difference in that situation.
          ------

Comment

QUOTE=Ravage!!!;1987758]There was nothing wrong with the QB DRAW play. If he got the first down.. we can spike the ball and have another shot at the endzone. [/QUOTE]

Brilliant. So we gain 2 yards maybe, for have one shot at the win, by sacrificing our one shot at the win.

Brilliant.
            sigpic

Comment

Armchair QB's "blah blah blah"

Nevermind that Shanahan calls plays that get the Broncos in a position to even tie the game with little time and 1 TO left.

Nevermind his #1 WR, #1 RB, pro-bowl center, starting guard, and possible HoF WR are out, and they still move the ball against one of the top rated Defenses the entire game.

Nevermind we hold a very potent offense led by one of the best QB's ever to play the game to 13 points.

1 play doesn't work!!!

DESTROY SHANAHAN!!

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                Armchair QB's "blah blah blah"

Nevermind that Shanahan calls plays that get the Broncos in a position to even tie the game with little time and 1 TO left.

Nevermind his #1 WR, #1 RB, pro-bowl center, starting guard, and possible HoF WR are out, and they still move the ball against one of the top rated Defenses the entire game.

Nevermind we hold a very potent offense led by one of the best QB's ever to play the game to 13 points.

1 play doesn't work!!!

DESTROY SHANAHAN!!
                In Cutler's post game interview he pretty much says it was a bad play call. That doesnt mean Shanny deserves all the crap he's getting.

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange View Post
                  In Cutler's post game interview he pretty much says it was a bad play call. That doesnt mean Shanny deserves all the crap he's getting.
                  Hey, you ride the ship, whether it's sailing or whether it's sinking.

Shanahan gets all the credit when the team does well, and all the blame when they don't do well.

However, I do agree it was one bad call and didn't cost us the game. Lost of coaches make bad calls throughout the course of a game - some more than once.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncsx3 View Post
                    I've read 100 posts about how terrible the QB sneak at the end of the game call was... and lots of posts about it was conservative and not creative, etc.

First of all... Conservative and not creative? With no timeouts, who the hell expects a run? Who even thinks we have TIME for a run? No one!

I heard a quote after the game that several players were shocked they had as many linebackers in on that play... why? Because you CANT run there! There isn't time to run and then kick a FG... unless you have one of the best practiced FG units in the NFL! Most teams put in a bunch of rushers and defensive backs. Packers played it smart and I don't think we have a QB yet that's capable of calling a successful audible on the line yet in that situation.

Second, I'm surprised it didn't work! Pretty much every time Cutler has snuck this season its been successful, especially designed QB sneaks. The announcers pointed out that Cutler would have scored had he gone right... I think he scores if he doesn't trip up going left too. Cutler is big and hard to tackle and seems to have pretty good vision. I think we run that play 10 times we score on 7 attempts.

In my opinion the call was extremely gutsy and had it worked you guys would be calling him genius again. It didn't work, we still forced OT. 20/20 is great but lay off of Shanahan...
                    When you said IF it would have worked, then Mike would have been a genius, yes you are correct!

BUT! If you take a poll, of all 32 coaches in the NFL, probably at least 28 of them would have called a pass in that situation, less then a minute and no timeouts, and at home, but I guess we will never know now will we?

Comment

Working...
                    X