Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok Couch Coaches... what would YOU have called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok Couch Coaches... what would YOU have called?

Some of you are so eagert to judge the decision on the final result... and thats so very easy for you to do. I feel Shanahan wasn't going for the TD.. he was going for the first down. Which would have probably give us at least 2 more attempts at the endzone and STILL had the kick available to us if needed. Usually a run play, setting back up and spiking the ball takes 6-7 seconds off the clock. If it took 7, that would have left 15 seconds on the clock and a second down. That would have given us TWO more pass attempts at the endzone while the clock stopped between each play, instead of rushing the QB for one more pass attempt.

Some would have preferred to have Cutler throw ONE more shot at the endzone, and then kick it.

Some want to say "why didn't we RUSH to the LoS and have Cutler throw one more ball into the endzone with the clock ticking and then bring out Elam".. and look at the result and say it was 'the wrong call.'

I'm seeing a coach that thought he could get the first down... give his QB and offense 2 more tries at the endzone and STILL have his kicker tie the game while NOT rushing between pass attempts. It didn't work, but didn't lose us the game. TO me, that doesn't sound like a BAD call. That looks to me like a call that didn't work out.

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION....... What play would you have called instead of the QB draw? WHAT play? What protection? What formation? What audible? What read?

*Sigh*

What is your deal, ravage? People were understandably upset with that play call. Let them vent. Why do you have to be Shanahan's protector all the time?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
      I'm seeing a coach that thought he could get the first down... give his QB and offense 2 more tries at the endzone and STILL have his kicker tie the game while NOT rushing between pass attempts. It didn't work, but didn't lose us the game. TO me, that doesn't sound like a BAD call. That looks to me like a call that didn't work out.
      [/COLOR][/B]
      Here's what I find interesting about it too...

Many would like us to have 'put it in Cutler's hands' as in let him throw it.

If we get the first down, as I agree was the intent... we would THROW it to get the clock to stop to have maximum opportunities for the win.

The way I see it, Shanny trusts Cutler plenty. He wasn't about to put in Ramsey just because we were in the Redzone.
      Thanks, Reid!
      sigpic
      Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

I would have called the quarterback draw.~

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
          Here's what I find interesting about it too...

Many would like us to have 'put it in Cutler's hands' as in let him throw it.

If we get the first down, as I agree was the intent... we would THROW it to get the clock to stop to have maximum opportunities for the win.

The way I see it, Shanny trusts Cutler plenty. He wasn't about to put in Ramsey just because we were in the Redzone.
          The thing is, no matter what, you're going to have to throw it in that situation anyway. So why get a yard or two closer, burn all that time, and be forced to throw it with less space to work with than before, and risk not getting a field goal off in time? It just seems to me if you know you have to throw it, then throw it on third down.
          sigpic

Comment

I call a TE out to Scheffler, or a fade to the corner to Marshall at least this way we can stop the clock if it's incomplete and don't have to rush onto the field.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
              *Sigh*

What is your deal, ravage? People were understandably upset with that play call. Let them vent. Why do you have to be Shanahan's protector all the time?
              No. They were upset with the result.

I remember Vinny Testaverde scoring on the same call at the end of a game. It does work at times.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

The thing is, no matter what, you're going to have to throw it in that situation anyway. So why get a yard or two closer, burn all that time, and be forced to throw it with less space to work with than before, and risk not getting a field goal off in time? It just seems to me if you know you have to throw it, then throw it on third down.
                This way, we get up to two shots at the endzone... and even the possibility that the draw gets the touchdown on its own. How much time you burn doesn't matter if you're forced to kick on the next play regardless.
                Thanks, Reid!
                sigpic
                Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

It's an easy call, you roll Jay out and get some misdirection (with the receivers) and I guarentee you that one of them would have come free be it Scheffler, Sapp, or someone else. That way Jay can throw or run. If someone is open he throws, if he has a clear path to the endzone, he runs. It's really a very easy call that should have been made...

Comment

IT didn't have anything to do with the "yardage." But what you are wanting is a different result. You wanted ONE attempt at the endzone instead of two.. and if that one didn't work out then kick (which was the result).

Shanahan tried to get us TWO pass attempts at the endzone (while the clock would have stopped between each attempt) , and still kick if we needed.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                      This way, we get up to two shots at the endzone... and even the possibility that the draw gets the touchdown on its own. How much time you burn doesn't matter if you're forced to kick on the next play regardless.
                      But there's no guarantee the Broncos would have gotten those two shots. They let a lot of time burned before they even realized they didn't get the first down. With a first down and a spike, you lose a down, with only about 5-8 seconds left. At that point, you have maybe one shot, and it has to be a pass.

So again, if you have to pass, and you know you have to, then you should take your shot on third down. Shanahan was trying to force the game his direction, instead of just taking the opportunity that was already there.

And the bottom line is that the draw didn't work. There's no guarantee a pass would have either, but it's the more likely choice to get you the touchdown.
                      sigpic

Comment

Some of you are so eagert to judge the decision on the final result... and thats so very easy for you to do. I feel Shanahan wasn't going for the TD.. he was going for the first down. Which would have probably give us at least 2 more attempts at the endzone and STILL had the kick available to us if needed. Usually a run play, setting back up and spiking the ball takes 6-7 seconds off the clock. If it took 7, that would have left 15 seconds on the clock and a second down. That would have given us TWO more pass attempts at the endzone while the clock stopped between each play, instead of rushing the QB for one more pass attempt.

Some would have preferred to have Cutler throw ONE more shot at the endzone, and then kick it.

Some want to say "why didn't we RUSH to the LoS and have Cutler throw one more ball into the endzone with the clock ticking and then bring out Elam".. and look at the result and say it was 'the wrong call.'

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION....... What play would you have called instead of the QB draw? WHAT play? What protection? What formation? What audible? What read?
                        I completely agree with you in the fact that a lot of us are armchairing calls after the game, it's easy to do.

That being said, maybe a single back two TE set. Play pass or bootleg, (the packer D respected Selvin most of the night). I thought Daniel and Scheff did a good job of getting open all night. Then again, we could have wasted a lot of time only to have Kampman sack Cutler and never get a field goal attempt.

I'm not really sure. This is why I'm not a coach.

I stated in another thread, that I thought sneak on third warranted a measurement, but I guess the referee didn't agree, and wasn't about to stop the clock.

I'm a frustrated fan at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Rob View Post
                          It's an easy call, you roll Jay out and get some misdirection (with the receivers) and I guarentee you that one of them would have come free be it Scheffler, Sapp, or someone else. That way Jay can throw or run. If someone is open he throws, if he has a clear path to the endzone, he runs. It's really a very easy call that should have been made...
                          Wow.. a guarantee.....

Comment

ANSWER: NO ONE HERE HAS A CLUE.

Wait, they should run a fade to B-Marsh cuz he's tall!

Comment

IT didn't have anything to do with the "yardage." But what you are wanting is a different result. You wanted ONE attempt at the endzone instead of two.. and if that one didn't work out then kick (which was the result).

Shanahan tried to get us TWO pass attempts at the endzone (while the clock would have stopped between each attempt) , and still kick if we needed.
                              But we didn't get those two shots, which is why people can be critical.

If that's all they wanted, then why not do a quick screen to Marshall, and let him try and get the first down and/or touchdown? He's more likely to get it than a draw play from shotgun with Cutler with his power.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X