Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok Couch Coaches... what would YOU have called?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by arapaho View Post
    normally i agree with you but this time i dont, shanny played to tie and hope we won the toss, he didnt play it to win

    look at the play by and se if you can see where he played to win

    4-2-DEN 32 (1:37) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short left to 14-B.Stokley pushed ob at DEN 39 for 7 yards (31-A.Harris).
    1-10-DEN 39 (1:32) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short right to 14-B.Stokley [74-A.Kampman].
    2-10-DEN 39 (1:27) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short middle to 15-B.Marshall to GB 26 for 35 yards (36-N.Collins; 24-J.Bush). Penalty on GB-21-C.Woodson, Defensive Holding, declined.
    1-10-GB 26 (1:16) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short middle to 15-B.Marshall to GB 13 for 13 yards (50-A.Hawk).
    1-10-GB 13 (:38) 35-S.Young right tackle to GB 4 for 9 yards (94-K.Gbaja-Biamila).
    Timeout #3 by DEN at 00:25.
    2-1-GB 4 (:25) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short left to 15-B.Marshall.
    3-1-GB 4 (:22) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler up the middle to GB 4 for no gain (79-R.Pickett


    what you se is your right about the average play reset around 7 seconds...and if you follow it you see that is close until you hit the 1:16 mark where we snapped the ball at the 1:16 MARK BUT NEVER RAN ANOTHER PLAY UNTIL THE :38 SECOND MARK...we let about thirty eight second click by before running another play on first down...we were in fg range at he 13, first down!!!!spike the friggen ball save some clock!! had we then given the 7-09 second reset time we would have spiked it with about a full minute left, 60 seconds with a SECOND down on the 13 as opposed to 38 seconds WITH A FIRSTon the 13...shanny was playing for the tie since i cannot see where he was thinking first down with the qb sneak so he could spike the ball and give us 15 seconds for two passes when he already blew 30 seconds of play clock right before that

    he played for the tie plain and simple
    But the one thing you are forgetting arap.. is that plays on the field change the minds of what you want/need/have to do. The run by Selvin Young to put us within one yard of the first down may have very much changed the minds of the staff to GO for the first down when from the 4. I thought we were playing conservative to keep the ball when at the 13 as well... but once Selvin made the great run to the four... it seems the coaches saw a chance to get the first down and have some shots at the endzone (plus lets not forget we DID make the pass to the pylon to Marshal on one attempt to win it ).

    *shrugs*.. Its not like I'm defending shanahan. More than anything I'm bothered by the "shanahan is stupid, and this is what SHOULD have been called" posts. Although I don't think he was playing for the tie with the QB draw call.. I don't think it was 'bad' to go for the first down when we still had the chance to tie the game. Like MuG posted above, I wish Cutler would have audibled out of that play, but at the same time, he may not have to save the clock, or because they were talking about 1st down in the headset (meaning if the HC and QB were talking about getting the first down the entire time when talking about the play, its hard for a rookie QB to audible out and just go for the TD pass. It may take another year of seasoning to feel that comfortable to do that).

    I would have been fine with going for the TD pass. I would have been fine with going for the run with a RB (although I don't think that stood a chance of going 4 yrds in that circumstance)... I just don't think there is anyone here "qualified" to state " that was the wrong call.. or a dumb call.. or a stupid call." We have the benefit of seeing the result. Not hard to state the "It didn't work, so it wasn't the right call."

    People above want to state that I'm the "shanahan defender".. yet there are many posters on here that see the logic and understanding of the reasons behind the call as much as I do. I'm just more vocal about it. I don't have a problem with that.

    Comment


    • #92
      I think the play was ok, our defender just got smoked. Thats just IMHO.
      SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by MileHighStud View Post
        I think the play was ok, our defender just got smoked. Thats just IMHO.


        Which play are YOU talking about?

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
          But the one thing you are forgetting arap.. is that plays on the field change the minds of what you want/need/have to do. The run by Selvin Young to put us within one yard of the first down may have very much changed the minds of the staff to GO for the first down when from the 4. I thought we were playing conservative to keep the ball when at the 13 as well... but once Selvin made the great run to the four... it seems the coaches saw a chance to get the first down and have some shots at the endzone (plus lets not forget we DID make the pass to the pylon to Marshal on one attempt to win it ).

          *shrugs*.. Its not like I'm defending shanahan. More than anything I'm bothered by the "shanahan is stupid, and this is what SHOULD have been called" posts. Although I don't think he was playing for the tie with the QB draw call.. I don't think it was 'bad' to go for the first down when we still had the chance to tie the game. Like MuG posted above, I wish Cutler would have audibled out of that play, but at the same time, he may not have to save the clock, or because they were talking about 1st down in the headset (meaning if the HC and QB were talking about getting the first down the entire time when talking about the play, its hard for a rookie QB to audible out and just go for the TD pass. It may take another year of seasoning to feel that comfortable to do that).

          I would have been fine with going for the TD pass. I would have been fine with going for the run with a RB (although I don't think that stood a chance of going 4 yrds in that circumstance)... I just don't think there is anyone here "qualified" to state " that was the wrong call.. or a dumb call.. or a stupid call." We have the benefit of seeing the result. Not hard to state the "It didn't work, so it wasn't the right call."

          People above want to state that I'm the "shanahan defender".. yet there are many posters on here that see the logic and understanding of the reasons behind the call as much as I do. I'm just more vocal about it. I don't have a problem with that.

          what your missing is this crucial part...with one minute sixteen seconds we snapped the ball, made a first down and preceeded to let 38 seconds run off the clock before snapping the ball again...now does that sound like a coach trying to win the game?

          so takeing averges if we snapped the ball at the 1:16 mark, got a first down and reset the ball with about one full minute left....one friggen minute with a full complement of downs on the 13 yard line..instead we let the game clock run down to 38 seconds before running the ball for 9 yards...now you want me to believe he ran the draw hoping for a first so he could run a couple more attempts for 6 with about fifteen seconds left

          no the fact remains...he played that last minute safe, he played it to tie and not give GB time to score thats why he wasted so much time

          my problem isnt so much the play itself, its the notion that he did it to get a first down with twenty five seconds on the clock to supposedly give him time for two more shots at a td...when he just wasted 38 seconds a couple plays before
          Last edited by arapaho; 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM.
          sigpic
          when do native Americans become human and not mascots

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
            Some of you are so eagert to judge the decision on the final result... and thats so very easy for you to do. I feel Shanahan wasn't going for the TD.. he was going for the first down. Which would have probably give us at least 2 more attempts at the endzone and STILL had the kick available to us if needed. Usually a run play, setting back up and spiking the ball takes 6-7 seconds off the clock. If it took 7, that would have left 15 seconds on the clock and a second down. That would have given us TWO more pass attempts at the endzone while the clock stopped between each play, instead of rushing the QB for one more pass attempt.

            Some would have preferred to have Cutler throw ONE more shot at the endzone, and then kick it.

            Some want to say "why didn't we RUSH to the LoS and have Cutler throw one more ball into the endzone with the clock ticking and then bring out Elam".. and look at the result and say it was 'the wrong call.'

            I'm seeing a coach that thought he could get the first down... give his QB and offense 2 more tries at the endzone and STILL have his kicker tie the game while NOT rushing between pass attempts. It didn't work, but didn't lose us the game. TO me, that doesn't sound like a BAD call. That looks to me like a call that didn't work out.

            SO HERE IS THE QUESTION....... What play would you have called instead of the QB draw? WHAT play? What protection? What formation? What audible? What read?
            I would REALLY like to see that "run play, setting back up and spiking the ball takes 6-7 seconds off the clock." Because that would be a FIRST!

            C'mon, rav! Do you REALLY think a bunch of Packers are going to hurry off of a pile, near their endzone, with the game clock winding down, just so the Broncos can line back up again?

            *laughing my ASS off!!!!!!*

            Why the burned TO's?
            Why no measurement?

            Those are better questions than asking a bunch of pissed off fans what THEY would have done. In MY opine, anyway.



            *still lmao*
            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
            men."

            -- Samuel Adams

            sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by slick7 View Post


              Which play are YOU talking about?
              The wrong one, though I'm SURE you already knew that.....
              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
              men."

              -- Samuel Adams

              sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

              Comment


              • #97
                2nd & 1 with 25 seconds left?

                Spike the ball. 3rd & 1 15 second left. Cutler rolls out... if he can run it in do it...if he has an open receiver throw it. If niether are there throw it out the back of the endzone. then on 4th down take your time and bring on the field goal team. I was yelling this as it was happening. I have seen this before under Reeves. You dont play for overtime. You need to try to win at least once!!!!!! I for one feel very good with the ball in Jay's hands and the gfame on the line. He will never be #7 but he has all the tools to be real close. Let him prove it. As I recall John was allowed to paly and learn and he turned out pretty darn good!!!!

                Comment


                • #98
                  All night, the Packers were respecting the fact that Young was out there. I would have used him, Scheff, Marshall, Graham, and Stokley like this:

                  Marshall lines up left side receiver running the EXACT same route that we had missed on the previous play.

                  Scheff lines up left side TE slot, runs a crossing route to the right through the back of the endzone.

                  Stokley lines up slot receiver on the right and runs a crossing route to left through the front of the endzone.

                  Graham lines up right TE slot, and runs to the right at the goal line.

                  Young breaks off to the left, in the general direction of Marshall. He's nothing more than decoy.

                  At the snap, the Oline gets a push to the left, following the "apparent run." Defense follows sensing the run OR the fade to Marshall. After all, we can't be stupid enough to run the same play back to back, but they still have to honor the possibility or get burned.

                  Cutler fakes the handoff, rolling out to his right. You now have 2 receivers in the endzone rolling with Cutler. Crossing routes with Stokley to the left and TWO receivers to the right creates havoc in the endzone. Cutler has an immediate dump option to Graham, Scheff in the back, or he has the option of a QBrun to the pylon.

                  3 options are better than one. It's a gutsy, take the whole shebang call, but it has a better probability of success at the goal line than a QB sneak from the 4.


                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                    SO HERE IS THE QUESTION....... What play would you have called instead of the QB draw? WHAT play? What protection? What formation? What audible? What read?
                    I would have called the long time, always successful pass to the fullback. The one Kyle Johnson used to excel at. The Fullback runs a play action as if he's blocking, then squirts out to one side to catch the pass before anyone realizes he needs to be covered.
                    Granted the Packers may have been expecting that, but Cutler at least could have thrown it away and stopped the clock.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by rcsodak View Post
                      I would REALLY like to see that "run play, setting back up and spiking the ball takes 6-7 seconds off the clock." Because that would be a FIRST!

                      C'mon, rav! Do you REALLY think a bunch of Packers are going to hurry off of a pile, near their endzone, with the game clock winding down, just so the Broncos can line back up again?

                      *laughing my ASS off!!!!!!*

                      Why the burned TO's?
                      Why no measurement?

                      Those are better questions than asking a bunch of pissed off fans what THEY would have done. In MY opine, anyway.



                      *still lmao*
                      A run up the middle with the clock ticking normally just takes 2-3 seconds after the snap.. accounting for the WRs to simply step back to their place, and the OL to get back in the stance.. it takes roughly 6-7 seconds (double that of any normal play) to get the spike down since the ball isn't out wide where the ref has to run to the center of the field to place it. Yes.. it takes 6-7 seconds, and thats the norm. Look it up. Laugh all you want.

                      You, again, are just making yourself look foolish *laughs at you*

                      But its normal for you to not really add anything to the discussion.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X