NFL Need To Take Tips From NCAA!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Need To Take Tips From NCAA!!!

I hate the NFL OT rules. Coin Flip decides who wins and who loses 90% of the time. We need to pick up the NCAA rules for OT. I think it is only fair that both teams have a chance to make the game. Plus think about the excitment that the any college game has when it is in its 2nd OT. Every single person watching that game is on the edge of thier seats. I think the NFL should draft those OT rules. Its only fair not to mention much more exciting. That just my 2 cent. What do you think?

Note: The 90% satistic is one off the top of my head. I have no idea how accurate it is. If you want I would love if someone found it out.
    Twitter: @FFB_Hitman88

A couple of things I don't like about the NCAA OT:

1. takes special teams play completely out of the picture
    2. the stats shouldn't count

other than that, I like that both teams get an "at bat" and I like that they have to go for two starting with the third OT

I can live with taking the special teams out of it (especially given the Broncos performance on special teams ), but I thought it was significant enough to mention.

Comment

Well, i thought i had heard that it was actually pretty even statistic wise, i agree, its a dumb to let something as small as a coin flip possibly decide a game after 60 minutes of competition. College does it better, although i feel like they should start farther back than they do in college, perhaps at the 50, so that it is harder for the teams to score.

Anyway, i found these stats, which go through the 03 season:
      Total no. of overtime games (1974–2003) 365
      Both teams had at least one possession 261 (72 %)
      Team won toss and won game 189 (52 %)
      Team lost toss and won game 160 (44 %)
      Team won toss and drove for winning score 102 (28 %)
      Games ending in a tie 15 (5 %)

So yes, the team that gets the ball does win the game more often, but not by much.
      Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire
      Leaning out to catch the sun's rays. A lesson to be applied.
      Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?
      -
      Pearl Jam

Comment

this is the same subject 3 threads down.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=104983
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Soldier96B View Post
          I think it is only fair that both teams have a chance to make the game.
          If defense is part of football both teams do get a shot. I think what gets lost is the fact that BOTH teams had 60 minutes to score one more point and they can look back at many missed opportunities. So, if it comes down to a coin toss determining who gets the ball first (not who wins) then fine. I don't want to be there for 3-4 overtimes.

We could have stopped them just as easily as they could score. That's what we get for dying in the red zone. The game was determined by play calling and execution not the coin toss. Blaming the coin toss excuses blown coverage and the responsibility of a defense.
          John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

Comment

man, sure wish i saw that other thread first. someone used the same stats i did. wouldve saved me a google search.
            Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire
            Leaning out to catch the sun's rays. A lesson to be applied.
            Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?
            -
            Pearl Jam

Comment

Originally posted by Bahshay View Post
              Anyway, i found these stats, which go through the 03 season:
              Total no. of overtime games (1974–2003) 365
              Both teams had at least one possession 261 (72 %)
              Team won toss and won game 189 (52 %)
              Team lost toss and won game 160 (44 %)
              Team won toss and drove for winning score 102 (28 %)
              Games ending in a tie 15 (5 %)

So yes, the team that gets the ball does win the game more often, but not by much.
              That proves my point! Thanks. It [the coin toss] determines who gets the ball, not who wins. Sometimes you win a game with defense as much as offense, except us and we win it with special teams
              Last edited by since1977; 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM.
              John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

Comment

I don't think many people had a problem with OT after we beat Oakland this year.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

i think ncaa ot rules are for women and little league parents who think their children should get to play too dammit!
                  sigpic

Comment

i agree (although we did loss too green bay fair and sqaure) i think they should make rules like the orangal overtime with kickoffs and such but when the other team scores they get a shot

Comment

The stats prove that the current OT rules are pretty fair. Every time a team loses the coin flip and loses the game on the first possession is probably going to complain, but it doesn't happen all that often.

I think the college rules are good for college, but they wouldn't work in the NFL. I like that the NFL plays a normal game in OT, with the only difference is that it is sudden death.

Comment

A simple solution would be to just add another full quarter and play it out.

Comment

I like both systems

But I like the pro's better if 4Q isnt enuff to figure out who the better team is on that day.The first one who scores in overtime is.

Both teams had chances to win that game before OT.
                          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by fxblitz View Post
                            A simple solution would be to just add another full quarter and play it out.
                            That doesn't help, since there is a decent change of a tie after that. Plus, the networks don't want games to last too long, or they screw up the programming schedules for most of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Soldier96B View Post
                              I hate the NFL OT rules. Coin Flip decides who wins and who loses 90% of the time. We need to pick up the NCAA rules for OT. I think it is only fair that both teams have a chance to make the game. Plus think about the excitment that the any college game has when it is in its 2nd OT. Every single person watching that game is on the edge of thier seats. I think the NFL should draft those OT rules. Its only fair not to mention much more exciting. That just my 2 cent. What do you think?

Note: The 90% satistic is one off the top of my head. I have no idea how accurate it is. If you want I would love if someone found it out.
                              I totally agree, good post

Comment

Working...
                              X