Is Lynch done after this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Lynch done after this season?

He just keeps getting hurt and his play has been getting progressively worse over these past two years. I think it's time for him to put the pads up and close the book on his impressive career. I would love to keep him, but he just isn't what he used to be.

What do you guys think? Will we take a safety in the second or third round or keep developing Abdullah to replace him? Ferguson is getting old as well, but he still has a year or so left in him I think.

I know Lynch has been a team leader and a valued part of the Broncos.But the Saftey area is one I think the Broncos need to go a new direction in.I think he gave the Broncos a few good years.But his best years are far behind him.It would not bother me a bit to see Foxy or Abdullah take his spot.
    I know Lynch is a far better tackler then Foxy but his coverage skill can not be as good.What I seen in Abdullah in the preseason makes me think he would be good replacement.

Same for Ferguson I like the guy but im not going to protect him in post no more.His coverage skills is a wink link in his game.Brett Favre played him like a fiddle.I wouldnt mind if Denver keeped him around.But would think they would try to get someone other in that position.
    Last edited by LarryDean; 10-31-2007, 07:39 PM.
    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

I think ya got it backwards

I'd love to see some scouting grades on our two safeties. But what Lynch is asked to do he is still doing well. He "doesn't always seem to get hurt." Not sure where that idea comes from. He was held on the play all the way across the field but still managed to make the tackle. Having his arm and shoulder held by the opponent probably contributed to him not being in the best position to lay the hit and led to his stinger.

It's not the headknocker /run support / blitzing safety where we are having deficiencies. It's the other side. Ferguson is getting repeatedly torched in coverage. I really don't blame him. He is playing out of position. He is better suited for Lynch's role (the one he had by the way before John got here) and is being asked to play beyond his skillset. But even when John has duties in the passing game, he makes the plays. When the alignment has him helping the CBs, he gets there!

I think it's easy for us to look at problems in our defense and assume it has to be Lynch because he's the elder statesman and had a serious neck injury a few years ago. But I'd bet a lot of money if you asked any of our coaches if Lynch is the problem - they'd all say no! Age has it's benefits. Lynch has seen enough and is smart enough to be in position and not have to be the fastest guy on the field to make a play. Heck Roc Alexander was one of the fastest men to play on our team in a decade and we all know how that worked. Lynch doesn't look any slower today than when he got here. He certainly didn't get dumb all of a sudden. So I'm not sure what his deficiency is that we need to be worried about right now.

In fact, just go back and look at the tape after Lynch got hurt Monday. Our defense blew up. He's the QB of that team and they had no idea what to do when he went out. And Cox was a statue on the TD pass in overtime. He gave Dre no help at all. Hard to say what would have happened. But let's just say I'd like my chances on a do-over with Lynch getting over there and smacking that kid.

Next season is a long ways away, so who knows who will be better able to man those duties next year (Nick or John) but we definitely need a stud at the other safety position. And here's betting, that barring a significant injury Lynch keeps his job over Ferguson.
      Last edited by DiehardinAlaska; 10-31-2007, 06:26 PM.
      "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

maybe. nalen is for sure tho. book it

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska View Post
          I'd love to see some scouting grades on our two safeties. But what Lynch is asked to do he is still doing well. He "doesn't always seem to get hurt." Not sure where that idea comes from. He was held on the play all the way across the field but still managed to make the tackle. Having his arm and shoulder held by the opponent probably contributed to him not being in the best position to lay the hit and led to his stinger.

It's not the headknocker /run support / blitzing safety where we are having deficiencies. It's the other side. Ferguson is getting repeatedly torched in coverage. I really don't blame him. He is playing out of position. He is better suited for Lynch's role (the one he had by the way before John got here) and is being asked to play beyond his skillset. But even when John has duties in the passing game, he makes the plays. When the alignment has him helping the CBs, he gets there!

I think it's easy for us to look at problems in our defense and assume it has to be Lynch because he's the elder statesman and had a serious neck injury a few years ago. But I'd bet a lot of money if you asked any of our coaches if Lynch is the problem - they'd all say no! Age has it's benefits. Lynch has seen enough and is smart enough to be in position and not have to be the fastest guy on the field to make a play. Heck Roc Alexander was one of the fastest men to play on our team in a decade and we all know how that worked. Lynch doesn't look any slower today than when he got here. He certainly didn't get dumb all of a sudden. So I'm not sure what his deficiency is that we need to be worried about right now.

In fact, just go back and look at the tape after Lynch got hurt Monday. Our defense blew up. He's the QB of that team and they had no idea what to do when he went out. And Cox was a statue on the TD pass in overtime. He gave Dre no help at all. Hard to say what would have happened. But let's just say I'd like my chances on a do-over with Lynch getting over there and smacking that kid.

Next season is a long ways away, so who knows who will be better able to man those duties next year (Nick or John) but we definitely need a stud at the other safety position. And here's betting, that barring a significant injury Lynch keeps his job over Ferguson.
          Great post. You pretty much sum up my exact feelings on the situation. I don't know why some fans undervalue Lynch so much. The defense was lost after his injury. They completely fell apart when he left the field. His injury hurt us a lot more than people want to admit.

Comment

With the Broncos, for sure.
            sigpic

TZ

Comment

Originally posted by Uglybass View Post
              He just keeps getting hurt and his play has been getting progressively worse over these past two years. I think it's time for him to put the pads up and close the book on his impressive career. I would love to keep him, but he just isn't what he used to be.

What do you guys think? Will we take a safety in the second or third round or keep developing Abdullah to replace him? Ferguson is getting old as well, but he still has a year or so left in him I think.
              As good as Lynch and Nalen have been, both should go after this season, along with Rod Smith. We are a young team and I don't know how wise it is to count on 15 yr vets.

Comment

I have no problem with him staying on as a coach. But he needs to bow out gracefully. He is a hall of famer who has nothign left to prove. For all our sakes I hope he calls it quits.
                Only a fool allows another's opinion to anger him to the point of hurling insults.

Comment

If lynch leaves the broncos and still wants to play chances are he goes to the chargers and ends up killing the broncos. I can see lynch having 2 more good seasons within the chargers defensive scheme. He is from San Diego Torrey Pines High School after all. And has commercials on the radio out here already.
                  2016 AFC WEST CHAMPIONS: STATED WEEK 7 SAN DIEGO SUPER CHARGERS

Comment

Lynch is a great team leader and run stopper

But being a great team leader does not cover people down field.He would have made zero difference on the 2 bombs in the GB game.

This is not some secret hate on Lynch bash thread.

It is not a secret teams attack Lynch and Ferguson because the lack of coverage skills that they have.If you want to think that they can cover the better TE or slot wr in the NFL you are wrong.I can show you 2 years worth of stats that says they cant.

I like John Lynch but im not going to make believe the guy can cover people just because I like him.
                    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Go Hamza!!

Comment

We really need to pick up a safety this year via free agency or the draft. Does any1 know which safeties are free agents this year? Lynch only has a couple years left and Fergy isnt doin much so we must address safety in the offseason!

Comment

Originally posted by DBroncs3 View Post
                          We really need to pick up a safety this year via free agency or the draft. Does any1 know which safeties are free agents this year? Lynch only has a couple years left and Fergy isnt doin much so we must address safety in the offseason!
                          I wouldn't head into the FA market for a position that we really do need to improve in.

It has never worked.

I would draft a young stud out of college, and form him into our defense.

Comment

Ouch...
                            http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Comment

I never said that Lynch was the problem at all on our defense, he has been a great leader and has still done pretty well, but his age is starting to catch up to him. This is the second time this season he has had to sit out due to injury, and it doesn't look like he'll be back for a few games after this recent injury. I hate to see him go, but it's just a part of football.

I guess saying his play has degraded over the last two years was kind of a low blow, but in all seriousness, it has. He isn't doing what he did in 2005 anymore, attribute it to the new defensive schemes or to him aging, but it's just not happening. He still goes out there and does his job, but he isn't blowing people up like he used to, and now he has been getting injured more to boot.

I'm just saying we need to start fresh, its good to have a few old players on the team, but to have the oldest defense in the league? Bad things are bound to happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X