Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taz_bb2
    replied
    Insanity = doing the same things over and over again expecting a different result.

Sounds eerily like the last 3 seasons to me. I don't count the 4 years after Elway as that was to be expected. But any intelligent coach would see that, lay out a plan for the future that built in the rebuilding period and stick to it.

Rebuilding is not plugging leaks with FA. It's taking young players, teaching them the system, playing them and weeding out the ones that don't get it. Rebuilding means building your organization from the draft, grooming them (like we do with RB's) and if your team is fortunate enough to be in the playoff hunt, snatching a FA or two.

IF Shanahan had done that, if he had taken advantage of those 4 years to rebuild on a specific and deliberate plan, we'd be competitive right now, atop the AFC West at 5-3 at the worst. Instead, there was never any plan besides recycling has-beens and druggies, hoping they would adapt.

I agree that Shanny is one of the best HC's ever...but its time for the insanity to stop.

Leave a comment:

• muse
    replied
    Originally posted by Duke View Post
    Shanahan should be fired if for no other reason than he bought into this new Defensive coordinator hook line and sinker, and has continued to support him while being blown out weekend after weekend. I don't see management or Denver allowing this to continue much longer. He would be doing the team a favor by firing the defensive coordinator, who could not stop a leaky toilet.
    That's really reasonable. Because firing coaching staff during a 16 game season really makes sense.

There are so many reasons why we're doing badly. The coaching staff are one factor but you've got to spread the blame out everywhere really. When will you people learn that scapegoating is just a bit ****?

Leave a comment:

• MileHiWildcat
    replied
    Originally posted by MisterGuinness View Post
    Brits should only worry about Cricket. It is the only thing they are seemingly halfway decent at.
    Hold on there --- the Aussies kick around those Poms' Silly Mid-Offs rather regularly.

Leave a comment:

• AZOmae
    replied
    The Patriots and the Colts have not been drafting in the top 15 either and yet they manage to have a solid team, year in and year out. You add it up.
    When you think about it, Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round, and he's doing OKAY....isn't he??

Leave a comment:

• MileHighStud
    replied
    Actually he is just an average coach that had two remarkable teams back to back. Prior to that and after that he has had losing teams. Shanahan should be fired if for no other reason than he bought into this new Defensive coordinator hook line and sinker, and has continued to support him while being blown out weekend after weekend. I don't see management or Denver allowing this to continue much longer. He would be doing the team a favor by firing the defensive coordinator, who could not stop a leaky toilet.
    This is what I said in december 2006. RIGHT ON!! Good Post CP to you when I get them.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by Lilrush View Post
    The year we made it to the AFCCG, we did not belong there. The game proved that. We get trounced. We got a favorable match up in the game leading up to the Pittsburgh game and got our only playoff win in quite a while.

Sorry.. but you can say that every year about someone. You STILL have to win the games you are faced with. We went 13-3 that year, and beat the Patriots (dont' see how thats a favorable matchup).... so I have to disagree with your assessment on this.

Leave a comment:

• Lilrush
    replied
    The year we made it to the AFCCG, we did not belong there. The game proved that. We get trounced. We got a favorable match up in the game leading up to the Pittsburgh game and got our only playoff win in quite a while.

The problem as I see it is out lack of physical lines. Frankly, this zone blocking with small linemen drives me crazy. Just my two cents worth.

Give Shanny some time with Cutler, then move on if nothing happens. The NFL is about winning playoff games. Nothing else really matters.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    ACTUALLY, you are wrong....

Actually he is just an average coach that had two remarkable teams back to back. Prior to that and after that he has had losing teams.
    Losing teams??? Hmmmm... perhaps you don't know what losing is.. and/or you don't know what average is....

Buffalo Bills: the EIGHT years SINCE losing Jim Kelly after the '96 season (Levy retired in '97): are 58-70 regular season, and have 2 playoff seasons ('98, '99)... their playoff record since is 0-2 (just for the record, their 9th season they went 7-9). The Bills have had a 45.3% winning percentage since the loss of Kelly, and have had four coaches in those 9 years (Phillips, Williams, Mularkey, Jauron). Their last SB appearance was in '93 season ('94 SB)... 14 years.

Dallas Cowboys..Aikman: (I'll have Landry/Staubach next) in the 6 seasons since losing Aikman (retired after the 2000 season).. the Cowboys are: 44-52 regular season wins and have two playoff seasons ('03, '06) and have a playoff record of 0-2. The Cowboys have a 45.8% winning percentage since the loss of Aikman, and have had 3 coaches in that six year span (Campo, Parcells, Phillips). Last SB appearance was '95 season ('96 SB)...11 seasons.

Dallas Cowboys...Staubach/Landry: Stauback retired after the '79 season. This is the one that does beat Shanahan as far as regular season win %, and playoff appearances. In the 8 seasons after Stauback retired, Landy and the Cowboays were 75-45 regular season, and 4 playoff seasons ( '80, '81, '83, '85).. their playoff record was 3-4. with the '80 season ending in a trip to the NFC Championship Game. They had a 62.5% winning percentage. They had only 1 coach during these 8 seasons.

Pittsburgh Steelers Bradshaw retired after the '82 season. During the 8 years following the retirement the Steelers were 63-64 regular season, and had 3 playoff seasons ('83, '84, '89) with a playoff record of 2-3. The Steelers had a 49.6% winning percentage in those 8 years. They had only 1 coach (just to let you know, their 9th season they went 7-9).

Dolphins: Dan Marino retired after the '99 season, so this is only 7 full seasons and not 8 (although looking at their start, it may be getting worse). Since the retirement of Dan Marino, the Dolphins have a 60-52 win %, and 2 playoff seasons (2000, 2001) and have a playoff record of 1-2. In the seven seasons since the loss of Marino they have a 53.5% winning percentage. In the eleven years since the retirement of Shula, the Dolphins have had 4 different coaches (Johnson, Wannstedt, Saban, and Cameron).

Niners Steve Young retired after the '98 season. Since the retirement of Steve Young, the Niners are 52-76 and have 2 playoff seasons ('01, '02).. their playoff record is 1-2. The Niners have a 40.6% win percentage since the loss of Young, and have had 3 coaches (Mariucci, Erickson, and Nolan).

Denver: John Elway retired after the '98 season. In the 8 years since, the Broncos are 76-52 and have had 4 playoff seasons ('00, '03, '04, '05). Since the retirement of Elway, the Broncos have a 59.5% win percentage and a playoff record of 1-4.. with the '05 season ending in a trip to the AFC Championship Game. We've had only one coach during this span.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Actually he is just an average coach that had two remarkable teams back to back. Prior to that and after that he has had losing teams. Shanahan should be fired if for no other reason than he bought into this new Defensive coordinator hook line and sinker, and has continued to support him while being blown out weekend after weekend. I don't see management or Denver allowing this to continue much longer. He would be doing the team a favor by firing the defensive coordinator, who could not stop a leaky toilet.
    Mid season?? Thats BRILLIANT!! Why haven't you become a GM before this??? this is a BRILLIANT idea! Yes ..definitely YES.....

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    The Patriots and the Colts have not been drafting in the top 15 either and yet they manage to have a solid team, year in and year out. You add it up.
    Hmmm.. welll gee....... lets see if we can figure out what the Patriots have, and the Colts have... that the Broncos HAVEN'T had. Gee.. this is a toughy.. Hmmmmmm......

Leave a comment:

• draco193
    replied
    Perhaps the franchise QB has something to do with it? OR the fact that they had been drafting in the top fifteen for how many years before they actually became contenders?

Edit: I was stating that we arent winning the SB every year, but, we arent a pathetic team that never gets better. That was the top fifteen draft remark.

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    replied
    Don't blame drafting

Originally posted by draco193 View Post
    I think Ravage has pointed out that teams struggle after losing a guy they depended on for so long. We havent gotten back to the big one, but, we also havent been drafting in the top fifteen every year either. Mike has found his new go to guy, and that means big things for years to come. And, still hope for this year with the way that the season has turned out for everybody.

Leave a comment:

• Duke
    replied
    Shanny is a great coach?

Originally posted by MHS View Post
    shanny is a great coach. And for those who want him fired... who would be a better coach then him? there isnt a coach that will be available that would improve the broncos more than shanny will.

Leave a comment:

• draco193
    replied
    I think Ravage has pointed out that teams struggle after losing a guy they depended on for so long. We havent gotten back to the big one, but, we also havent been drafting in the top fifteen every year either. Mike has found his new go to guy, and that means big things for years to come. And, still hope for this year with the way that the season has turned out for everybody.

Leave a comment:

• MileHighStud
    replied
    Originally posted by SmokeBassett View Post
    Logically:

1. Shanahan has had 8 years to prove he can coach a team to the Championship on his own, without HoF players at receiver, tight end, on the offensive line, quarterback and tailback. In those 8 years, with plenty of good players, Shanahan has failed.

2. Therefore, Shanahan has demonstrated that in the absence of Elway & Co. he cannot get the team to the championship.
    I am not completely disagreeing with you. Shanny came close in 05 (AFCCG) after that season we changed Offensive Coord, or should I put it "We lost Gary Kubiak" (Big loss) . Changed our personel Quite a bit on Offense, not to mention starting a rookie QB (Not to mention the changes on D). With that said, Shanny and Co. ripped apart a Championship caliber team. What we are experiencing now is the result.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X