• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bates says Broncos' defensive performance "unacceptable"

Bates says Broncos' defensive performance "unacceptable"
    The Denver Post
    Article Launched: 11/05/2007 01:00:00 AM MST

Broncos defensive boss Jim Bates was not pleased with his unit's effort while allowing 44 points to the Detroit Lions on Sunday. Denver's defense had shown improvement in the first two games after its bye, but regressed.

"It was totally disappointing," Bates said. "We took steps backward."

Bates said the coaches and players must both improve: "What happened today was unacceptable."

Flat outplayed. Broncos running back Travis Henry said he thought the team was "flat."

"They had all the energy," Henry said of the Lions. "I don't know if it was because of the early start and being on the 'East Coast,' but we were flat."

Left tackle Matt Lepsis agreed.

"I know I was flat," Lepsis said. "I couldn't do anything. I had a terrible game."

Lepsis had to be attended to because of a shoulder "stinger" in the second quarter, but he returned.

"Man, I'm ticked," Tatum Bell said. "I'm really ticked."

Tatum Bell was traded in the offseason, along with right tackle George Foster, to the Lions for cornerback Dré Bly. Foster and Bly started Sunday.

Hamza in, Nick out. For most of the second quarter, Broncos strong safety Nick Ferguson was replaced by Hamza Abdullah.

"What did I think of it?" Ferguson said. "I don't know what to tell you. I know what you would like for me to tell you. You're not going to throw me up on the gravy train. Uh-uh."

Marshall drops. On three consecutive, third-quarter passes, Ramsey put the ball in Brandon Marshall's hands. Marshall dropped all three. Marshall finished with nine catches for 96 yards, but imagine his stats had he not encountered his slump.

"It was just one of those things where I was letting the ball beat me up a little bit," Marshall said "You can't have that."

Better specials. Broncos special teams were not humiliated. Maligned entering the Week 6 bye, special teams have played well in the three games since. On their first two possessions, Jay Cutler and the Broncos' offense started at their 38-yard line thanks to a nice kickoff return by Andre Hall, and the Lions' 46-yard line after Jordan Beck recovered an onside kick.

Each possession ended in Todd Sauerbrun punts.

"I think it went OK, but it was just so close yet so far away," said Hall, who averaged 29.0 yards on
    four returns. "Of course you want good field position, but it's the touchdown you want. A touchdown."
    Abdullah back. For the first time since injuring his hip Sept. 16 against Oakland, backup safety and special-teams player Hamza Abdullah played. Abdullah played for safety Ferguson in passing situations and made seven tackles.

"I just wanted to show the coaches I was healthy and that I belonged on the field," Abdullah said. "I was active, but not active enough since we lost."

Thompson to come in. Former Tennessee Titan Lamont Thompson will be among the players Denver is set to work out Tuesday. Thompson, a former second-round pick, could be intriguing to the Broncos if John Lynch's injury needs more time to heal.

Family affair. Broncos star left cornerback Champ Bailey and his brother, Lions linebacker Boss Bailey, spent time taking photos with family members after the game. It was the first time the brothers met each other on the field.

Their mother had a shirt on that said, "Bailey vs. Bailey." She also wore a hat that said, "Mom." Boss Bailey will be a free agent at the end of the season and Denver likely will have a need at linebacker.

Footnotes. Henry left the game in the third quarter with a knee injury after gaining 31 yards on nine carries. After the game, Henry said he was fine and he could have returned.... The Lions entered the game allowing an NFL-high 35 sacks. Denver had only one sack, Elvis Dumervil's seventh of the season.... Lions kicker Jason Hanson kicked field goals of 43, 53 and 38 yards, plus five extra points to move past former Lions kicker Eddie Murray for 10th place on the NFL's all-time scoring list. Hanson has 1,608 points.... The Broncos' Jason Elam, who missed a 48-yard field-goal attempt off the left goal post, is sixth all time with 1,720 points.

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Wow!!!!

The dude must be a freakin' genius

Allowing 40+ points for the 2nd time this season....

"Unacceptable" seems to be pretty accurate
    I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

He should have said that after the first game of the season.

Comment

1- Uh, Mr. Bates, I think the fact that it was "unacceptable" goes without saying.

2- Travis Henry saying they were flat because they were on the east coast?
        Please tell me your joking.

3- Well, if Champ was going to try and talk Boss into coming to Denver, a
        44-7 loss probably won't help his case.

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
          Bates says Broncos' defensive performance "unacceptable"
          You think??

I think Shannahan made a mistake bringing in Bates and scrapping pretty much the whole scheme they ran last season.
          Go Broncos !!

sigpic

Comment

Bates
            "It was totally disappointing," Bates said
            Bates said the coaches and players must both improve: "What happened today was unacceptable."

Me
            Thanks for letting the fans of the team know this.Where would they be without such infinite knowledge from the new head coach.

Henry
            Flat outplayed. Broncos running back Travis Henry said he thought the team was "flat."
            "They had all the energy," Henry said of the Lions. "I don't know if it was because of the early start and being on the 'East Coast,' but we were flat."

Me
            Forget about the suspension that Henry is facing.What the fans have seen from him this season is disgusting.I was 50/50 about the move during the offseason.But wow if I would of had that crystal ball that many of you think they got.I would of told you I think this is the worst offseason Bronco move ever made.

Ariticle
            Thompson, a former second-round pick, could be intriguing to the Broncos if John Lynch's injury needs more time to heal.

Me
            Thanks for the time as a Bronco John Lynch enjoy your new job working with Fox TV.
            :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

On the plus side, Lamont Thompson is a playmaker at safety. He's more of a pass defending safety, if I can remember correctly, so I'd be all for the pickup.

My 2007 Adopt a Broncos are Brandon Marshall and Erica Weston

Comment

Maybe this embarassment will cause Bates and his coaching staff to work harder in preparing for Larry johnson. Lets face it, all Bates has to do is stop TG and Larry Johnson this week. That offense in KC isnt great, it isnt as good as the Packers who we limited to 19 points, so Bates should be able to get the job done. Put Champ on TG, Bly on Bowe and stack the box and blitz repeatedly. We cant get pressure with our front 4 and yet we never blitz. This kind of conservative playcalling is plaguing us on both sides of the ball and in special teams.

Hopefully the players will come out with some passion like they showed against Pittsburgh. Shanahan needs to do a better job getting these guys ready, and needs to keep the playbook open for 4 quarters, not after youre down 44 points in the second half.

Comment

Unacceptable?

That's an under statement. I didnt know bringing in a new defensive system required a team to be have the worst rushing defense in the nfl. 2 yrs ago we were one of the best run defenses in the league but couldnt stop the pass. Now we're avg. against the pass and cant come close to stopping the run. NO existing pass rush. Even when we blitz, teams pick it up, which gives them a big pass play. Disguise the blitz a little bit. Lining everyone up on the line to blitz, to me, gives the offense time to figure who to block. How many games Mr. Bates does it take? 8, 12, 16....You've had 8 games thus far and we are going backwards. Who's to blame? WE WANT ANSWERS, SOLUTIONS. Telling us that their play was "unacceptable". S*&T, the fans could have told them that. I know we have plenty of injuries, and I think our offense will come together eventually (when we're all healthy), but thats no excuse.
                  sigpic

Comment

Took him this long to figure it out?
                    11/6/11 - The day the Oakland Raiders got raptured!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoStampede View Post
                      Maybe this embarassment will cause Bates and his coaching staff to work harder in preparing for Larry johnson. .
                      I think Larry Johnson got hurt yesterday??

----------------------------------------------
                      I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Yeah, he sprained his ankle this week. I doubt he plays Sunday but we still must be cautious because priest holmes can shake off rust at any time this season and hopefully its not against us.

Comment

Tony G is going to have a big game against our LB's, unless the D shows some radical improvement.

Making team signature bars, just drop me a PM. :salute:

Comment

unacceptable. UN acceptable.

well... I certainly came up with a lot stronger words, but.............

Comment

I have two words that work better than unacceptable.

Disgusting and embarrasing.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
                              How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

Working...
                              X