• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutler to have MRI on injured leg today

Cutler to have MRI on injured leg Monday
    By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News
    November 4, 2007

DETROIT — Looks can be deceiving, as Jay Cutler proved Sunday afternoon.
    After a demoralizing 44-7 loss, the Broncos starting quarterback was walking stiff-legged but without much of a limp as he exited the field and navigated the lengthy uphill tunnel to the visitors locker room.

He seemed OK, too, going up the stairs to his postgame news conference.

But Cutler admitted the underlying pain he was experiencing in his left fibula was being hidden and he's "a little nervous" about the magnetic resonance imaging exam he'll receive today.

"It hurts now," Cutler said. "It hurts to put weight on it. It hurts to run."

X-rays were negative, which could rule out a broken leg — or not.

"Actually, I'm happy it's not broken," Cutler said when asked whether the initial diagnosis was comforting. "But there could be a hairline (fracture) in there. We'll have to see. Hopefully, it's just a bruise and I'll be able to go next week."

The Broncos (3-5) were trailing 6-0 early during the second quarter when Cutler dropped back to pass and immediately was stalked by massive Lions tackle Shaun Rogers, who cleanly beat Broncos center Chris Myers.

Cutler tried to spin out of trouble, but Rogers grabbed him up high and rag-dolled the quarterback toward the turf. As Cutler was going down, another defender's helmet struck the outside of his left leg, which was pinned against another defensive lineman.

Cutler began to walk off the field gingerly but then went down in a heap. But on that count, it wasn't as bad as it might have first appeared as backup Patrick Ramsey quickly began preparing for his first action in a Broncos uniform.

"They wanted me to go down," Cutler said. "I had time to get off the field, but they wanted . . . to give Patrick a chance to warm up."

The Broncos offense during the next six series punted three times, ran out the clock to end the first half, lost a fumble for a touchdown and stalled inside the Lions 5-yard line.

Two plays later, Detroit had a 30-0 lead.

The Broncos narrowly avoided their first shutout in 237 regular-season games on a Ramsey- to-Brandon Stokley 2-yard touchdown pass with 2:31 remaining.

"Anytime the star quarterback goes down, it's hard," Broncos running back Travis Henry said. "The backup doesn't get that many reps."

Cutler was starting his 13th NFL game and had played 723 of a possible 732 snaps entering the game since he was inserted into the lineup Dec. 3. He missed three-plus series during the second quarter of last year's season finale against the San Francisco 49ers after he suffered a concussion on a sack, but that's it.

"Honestly, I'm approaching this the way I always approach it: Prepare to play," said Ramsey, who finished 29-of-46 for 262 yards, one touchdown and one interception in nearly three quarters of relief. "It's a different challenge in front of you if you are starting a game, if, in fact, Jay is unable to go. But it's the same thing for me. I'm going to know our offense and prepare the best I can."

Cutler was taken to the locker room almost immediately after suffering the injury but returned while the Broncos were warming up for the second half.

Assistant athletic trainer Corey Oshikoya accompanied him and carried the quarterback's pads and jersey, while someone else had brought out Cutler's helmet.

As the third quarter kickoff loomed, Cutler found his helmet on the sideline and paired it with his pads, then stuffed them behind the bench.

So while the announcement of a "lower-leg contusion" in the press box had listed Cutler's return as questionable, it was clear his day was done, and perhaps more.

Cutler's body language only reinforced that notion. He often stood alone near the 30-yard bench dividing line with his arms crossed and a blank stare on his face. He later moved to the offensive end of the field for a closer look but rarely interacted with teammates as the blowout reached its merciful conclusion.

"It was tough. It was tough," Cutler said, repeating his words for emphasis. "To be with those guys and be the starting quarterback and to just watch them play and watch plays go by, it's hard. I wanted to be in there, but, obviously, I couldn't."

Cutler finished 3-of-4 for 20 yards in his brief outing. He has completed 144-of-219 passes for 1,690 yards, eight touchdowns and eight interceptions on a season that quickly has adopted a disastrous feel overall.

Just Thursday, the Broncos lost rookie first-round pick Jarvis Moss to a broken right ankle and found out their all-time leading receiver, Rod Smith, might never return.

They were added to a list of season-ending injuries that already included guard Ben Hamilton, center Tom Nalen, defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban and a long- term absence of receiver Javon Walker because of right knee surgery.

The Broncos, and especially Cutler, are holding their collective breath the list doesn't get any longer.

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Good move by Shannahan telling Cutler to go down. Buying Ramsey more time to warm-up. Ramsey never looks good in pre-game. You can tell he doesn't get the reps, and the rust shows.

Comment

I really hope Jay's injury is just a bruise and that nothing is broken. It is scary when your QB leaves the game like that (and it happened to Vince a few weeks ago). I really want to see Cutler when the Titans visit in two weeks, and I have bad memories of Ramsey (he beat the Titans in his first start for the Redskins back in 2002).

Comment

Man I pray that Cutler is all right.

Not for the Broncos season but I dont want his season to end in such a way.

Henry
        Anytime the star quarterback goes down, it's hard," Broncos running back Travis Henry said. "The backup doesn't get that many reps."

Me
        I dont know about you all but im tired of Henry being the team spokesman all of a sudden
        This makes the third ariticle I have read today with him having something to say in it.

I didnt know you can talk with a big joint hanging out of your mouth.

No matter what he says about the Broncos all I hear coming out of his mouth is suspension and pass that blunt holmes and hows my kids.

Ariticle
        Just Thursday, the Broncos lost rookie first-round pick Jarvis Moss to a broken right ankle and found out their all-time leading receiver, Rod Smith, might never return.

Me
        I dont know alot about sports injury other then the common lingo.It would be nice if someone could make a post or go more in depth on a thread explaining more about Moss type of injury.I dont know if I missed the 411 break down on it or not but some info would be nice.
        :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Geesh... I sure hope he is ok..

IHopefully they will say all it is is a bruise...and he will be playing next week..Wouldnt that be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Titans309Fan View Post
            I really hope Jay's injury is just a bruise and that nothing is broken. It is scary when your QB leaves the game like that (and it happened to Vince a few weeks ago). I really want to see Cutler when the Titans visit in two weeks, and I have bad memories of Ramsey (he beat the Titans in his first start for the Redskins back in 2002).
            I bet you want Ramsey in this game. I have watched Ramsey over the years and he is really streaky. He plays one good game then he plays a bad one. That is why he lost his starting job in Washington, and in NY.

Yeah - I want Cutler to show Vince who his daddy is!
            Last edited by cutlerfan; 11-05-2007, 08:41 AM.

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
              Yeah - I want Cutler to show Vince who his daddy is!
              Plaster reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Titans309Fan View Post
                Plaster reference.
                You do live in Nashville

To those who live outside of Nashville - George Plaster is a sports talk host for 104.5 the Zone.

Where Jay Graduated!

Comment

I just wish we would let Jay throw it 46 times like Ramsey did.

I was reading other posts and they said that Ramsey understands tha playbook better?????????

Where Jay Graduated!

Comment

I was reading other posts and they said that Ramsey understands tha playbook better?????????
                    Who? Ignorant football fans?

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                      Who? Ignorant football fans?
                      This is what some people are saying!

http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtopic.php?t=7371401

Good article!! There was a lot of quit in the Broncos on Sunday. In my opinion it seemed as the Broncos playbook opened up when Ramsey came into the game. Im wondering what Cutler doesn't understand. Im not bashing Cutler as he is a young QB, but im curious if he dosen't get the playbook or does he not understand Defenses yet. Did anyone else see that occuring

Where Jay Graduated!

Comment

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see that..but that is because CBS thought the people of Phoenix didn't need to see any more of the game right around the time ramsey came in
                        KEEP THE BLUE SIDE UP

Comment

Originally posted by vastrei View Post
                          Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see that..but that is because CBS thought the people of Phoenix didn't need to see any more of the game right around the time ramsey came in
                          Ramsey hit some nice throws but he is not Cutler.

I wish Denver would give Jay 46 pass attempts!!

Where Jay Graduated!

Comment

Ramsey hit some nice throws but he is not Cutler.

agreed! and what better time to try then next week, nothing to lose.
                            KEEP THE BLUE SIDE UP

Comment

Why? So he can get killed by the opposing pass rush? Ramsey is expendable, Cutler isn't.

That being said, Shanahan could definitely open up the playbook a little more for Cutler. Throw in a few more deep strikes, test the opposing defense. Hit a few of those and things tend to loosen up front.

Comment

Working...
                              X