Mike Shanahan Calls Out His Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Shanahan Calls Out His Team

Sandy Clough reported today on 950 AM The Fan, that his inside sources have informed him that earlier this week, Mike Shanahan held a team meeting, and tore into his players, calling them out individually in front of everyone else, and showing them film of individual poor play. One of the bigger names mentioned (although according to Sandy, pretty much everyone got an earful) was Matt Lepsis.

Shanahan is not known for using this tactic, and I applaud him for doing it now when there's still a sliver of hope for a respectable season, rather than waiting until this team is possibly 3-7 or 3-8. That said, if it blows up in his face, and the team lays an egg for the rest of the season, I have no doubt in my mind that he'll step down from this team following the conclusion of the season.
    sigpic

"Tore into his players" are your words."

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
      "Tore into his players" are your words."
      Actually, they were (essentially) Sandy Clough's words.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
        Sandy Clough reported today on 950 AM The Fan, that his inside sources have informed him that earlier this week, Mike Shanahan held a team meeting, and tore into his players, calling them out individually in front of everyone else, and showing them film of individual poor play. One of the bigger names mentioned (although according to Sandy, pretty much everyone got an earful) was Matt Lepsis.

Shanahan is not known for using this tactic, and I applaud him for doing it now when there's still a sliver of hope for a respectable season, rather than waiting until this team is possibly 3-7 or 3-8. That said, if it blows up in his face, and the team lays an egg for the rest of the season, I have no doubt in my mind that he'll step down from this team following the conclusion of the season.
        you could be right there are some poor tackling performances as well and im sure he lit in to them about that, maybe it is what the team needed

Comment

He did the right thing because from our best veterans down to the rookies, they showed no heart last week. But we will find out what kind of respect the players have for Shanny by the way they react to this and the will to win this team has. If it were me and being called out by Mike, it would get my attention. Let's hope the players feel the same!

Comment

The players shouldn't have any qualms about being called out in front of everyone else. They should know themselves that what they have been producing at times this season is nowhere near the required standard
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1709 View Post
              The players shouldn't have any qualms about being called out in front of everyone else. They should know themselves that what they have been producing at times this season is nowhere near the required standard
              I agree 100%. It was clear to me that many of the players gave up in the 2nd half against Detroit last Sunday. They should be held accountable just as Shanahan should be, in my opinion.

But like I said, if it blows up in his face...
              sigpic

Comment

It's great that he is openly pointing out those that need to improve. Those that don't perform to the level that is expected SHOULD be called out and held accountable.

The big question is...who's hold Shanny accountable? Is there anyone that is putting the heat on him? After all, by his own admission, he is to blame for not getting them ready to play (said twice in the last month.)

Comment

Originally posted by Taz_bb2 View Post
                  It's great that he is openly pointing out those that need to improve. Those that don't perform to the level that is expected SHOULD be called out and held accountable.

The big question is...who's hold Shanny accountable? Is there anyone that is putting the heat on him? After all, by his own admission, he is to blame for not getting them ready to play (said twice in the last month.)
                  I think by this move, he is holding himself accountable.

If the team comes out and responds by playing well and at least staying competitive in their games, then the message got through, and Shanahan can rest easy knowing that he can still reach his players.

But if the players don't respond and continue to slide, and the team winds up 4-12/5-11 at the end of the season, then I think that signals to Shanahan that he's lost his team, and I think he'll step down at the end of the season.
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't see anything that would indicate Shanahan would quit. I didn't hear the report, but based on what you said, where are you getting that?

Most of the "team leader" types are no longer on the field. Nalen, Wilson, Smith. I really think someone needs to step up and take those roles. Let's see how the team responds this weekend.

I'm glad he said it, someone needed to. While there have been a few bright spots/effort (Cutler, Marshall, Bailey is giving it his all), the players do need to be held accountable for their effort, or lack of.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                      I don't see anything that would indicate Shanahan would quit. I didn't hear the report, but based on what you said, where are you getting that?

Most of the "team leader" types are no longer on the field. Nalen, Wilson, Smith. I really think someone needs to step up and take those roles. Let's see how the team responds this weekend.

I'm glad he said it, someone needed to. While there have been a few bright spots/effort (Cutler, Marshall, Bailey is giving it his all), the players do need to be held accountable for their effort, or lack of.
                      I think the quit aspect comes into play (and was discussed in great detail by Mike Evans and Sandy Clough, who is a big Shanahan supporter, BTW) if the Broncos don't respond over the next few weeks over this move.

I mean, if we go into KC next week and perform the way we did against Detroit, then it's clear the players simply aren't grasping or caring what the coach is trying to say anymore. When that happens, the coach has lost the team, and no amount of personnel movement or change of philosophy will ever win that back.

But I do agree it was the right move to make. The players need to step up and claim ownership of this team.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post

I think your post lost its mojo. We could go 3-13 and shanny still would be the coach next year. We have the team its just not playing together yet. GIVE IT TIME.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                          I think your post lost its mojo. We could go 3-13 and shanny still would be the coach next year. We have the team its just not playing together yet. GIVE IT TIME.
                          If Mike Shanahan really felt this was a 3-13/4-12 team, he wouldn't have addressed the team in such a manner. He knows players aren't stepping up, and the question becomes, are they not stepping up because they're passed their prime, or because they don't want to play for Mike Shanahan?

We'll find out.
                          sigpic

Comment

Shanahan finally has the QB he’s been wanting since Elway, some great young talent on both sides of the ball, and he’s going to give it up after 1 rough season?

Somehow, I really don’t see it.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                              Shanahan finally has the QB he’s been wanting since Elway, some great young talent on both sides of the ball, and he’s going to give it up after 1 rough season?

Somehow, I really don’t see it.
                              It really depends.

It's not an issue of whether he has talent or not. Everyone knows we have talent, even if it's raw and erratic at times.

The issue is, whether players are giving up on plays and not giving it their all for this team. If that's true, then there's concern whether or not the coach is motiviating his players properly. I think with what he did, it's definitely the right move to make and I applaud him for it. But if the players blow him off and continue to play for their paycheck, rather than to win the game, then you have a serious issue.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X