X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dream View Post
    Adam Schefter, not Schefler.
    LOL,

When I read that I thought to myself, I wonder how long it will take Dream to correct this.

Its not a knock on you in anyway. I just have seen you correct this about 5 times in the past. At one point didn't you even have something about this in your sig?
    _
    Card by broncos_mtnman Sig by MasterShake America: Freedom to Fascism Watch this!
    All you need to know about Yellow & White Bars, CPs, and Levels

Comment

• Originally posted by jhns View Post
      LOL, that statement is just funny. It has been used by you a couple times now in this thread. So you are saying you are getting proof that the head coach should be fired by pointing to some rants (which are opinions by the way) by any random guy? Do you want me to go dig you up some opinion pieces that say Shanahan should stay? Is this what you are asking for?

I'm not really sure what to make of these comments as they don't make sense. You have provided 0 proof and a bunch of people's opinions. What exactly are you doing any different than any of us? This is probably why you are getting the reactions you do. You act like you are providing some great information when I could write an article about anything and have it be as factual as the stuff you are bringing. This is the reason that noone has countered with other articles and such. We all get that they provide 0 proof of anything.

Even articles with exact quotes are opinions. Other than the quote, nothing from them is factual 99% of the time. Usually you don't even get the question or full response in those quotes, so you are pretty much just at the writters mercy in getting what was meant by it.
      I guess I'm trying to prove that I'm not the only one perpetuating this.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
        Isn't that the whole point of a message board?

And can you link me to your post where you "already addressed this issue" in this thread? I went looking for it to re-read your thoughts, and I seem to be unable to find it.

Thanks!
        *Sigh* Alright, powder. I went back and found it. But ya gotta start keeping up here. I don't want to continue repeating myself .

In response to the question 'Who would the Broncos get?':

You know? I don't have a definitive, sure-fire answer for that.

But here's where my experience as a manager/supervisor may come into play...

When you have an employee who, at one time, was a cut above the rest, and won 'Employee of the Month' and other awards, and then some time passes and that employee's performance begins to suffer, you can't give them a break simply because at one time, they were really good or even the best, or because you're concerned whether the next guy or girl you hire can perform at a high level that equals or betters the employee's performance. Naturally, you talk to him/her and give him/her a chance to correct the problems that you see. But if after a period of time, you're not seeing improvement and/or are seeing regression, you have to cut your ties and move on, and take your chances with someone else.

In my time, I have had to fire or lay off several employees who, at one time, I thought were 'company people' and thought they were going to be dependable and hardworking forever, and after a period of time, their performance began to suffer. A lot of employees come in with a great attitude, high spirits, good ideas, and perform at a high level. But it's like a candle - once it's burned out, it's over, and it never comes back.

Obviously, this is an analogy, but I think it's somewhat applicable to the situation. You can't live in fear of moving in a new direction simply because you're concerned whether or not someone else can get the job done. You have to evaluate what's in the best interest of the franchise, and allow it the opportunity to succeed to the best of it's ability.

So that's my response to that. I have no guarantees that a guy will come in and automatically outcoach Shanahan or be better than Shanahan was. But you can't live in that mentality IF (and I emphasize if because naturally, this is all opinion and speculation) Mike Shanahan has lost this football team, because I can guarantee you if that is the case, no matter how long Shanahan sticks around, this team won't ever be any good under his tenure.

That said, a few names that have popped up that sound intriguing to me:

Bill Cowher
        Russ Grimm
        Mike Martz
        Jim Caldwell
        Mike Sherman
        Gil Haskell
        Last edited by mojo0730; 11-09-2007, 12:06 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post

That said, a few names that have popped up that sound intriguing to me:

Bill Cowher
          Russ Grimm
          Mike Martz
          Jim Caldwell
          Mike Sherman
          Gil Haskell
          I don't agree that Shanny will leave after this season. But I will say that if we lose 2 or 3 more games like we did against the Bolts and Lions who knows?

Has Shannahan lost control of this team? I would say no,, At least not completely. From what I have read around half the fans on this board think the play calling this year sucks. There are a lot of people watching the games that feel our defensive scheme sucks. I would assume it is fair to say there are players on this team that feel the same way. Does that mean he has lost those players? If they feel the biggest reason for our short comings are the fault of Shannahan, then he turns and scalds them, I can see how they wouldn't want to play hard for him. I guess we will see how they play Sunday.

I heard a quote on one of the sports stations that Shanny said that he wasn't going to change his offensive scheme and that the players need to execute the system better. Assuming he did say that, I have a problem with that. Of course the players could always play better, but it is the job of the head coach to put his players in the best situation to succeed. You cannot ask Gold to cover Jackson one on one then be upset he got burned. It just isn't going to happen. Who can blame Gold for that? That is the fault of the coaches for not knowing what their players can do.

I put teams together all the time to play in volleyball leagues and tournaments. It is my job to set our team up so that we have the best chance to win. If I ask my 5'6" setter to block the 6'4" middle and expect her to be able to win that match up I am not being realistic. Sure I know what I would like to be able to do but if we do not have the team to do it then it hurts the team to try and force players to do something they just can't do.

My point is, You have to give your players a chance to win you the game. Not everyone can succeed from everywhere. If your in charge of the team you have to take responsibility and do what needs to be done in order to give your team a chance to win.

You can always turn to your players and say, "it is not the fault of the system", "if you could just do what I am asking you to do it would have worked". That might be true but it is being unreasonable! The system has to work for the players as much as the players have to work for the system.

IMO I think Shanny giving the players a wake up call is a good thing. From what I have seen there are players who are not working for the system and they will never get it if they are not giving it 100%

On the other hand, I see players doing what they are asked and it just isn't working. That is frustrating as a player, everyone who plays team sports knows how that feels.

I believe Shanny can turn this team around because he is a proven winner. But if he did leave or was let go. I think Jason Garret would be a great head coach prospect to look at.
          _
          Card by broncos_mtnman Sig by MasterShake America: Freedom to Fascism Watch this!
          All you need to know about Yellow & White Bars, CPs, and Levels

Comment

At least with Jake, we had a proven .720 winning starter.
            He wasn't a proven .720 starter before he got here.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
              He wasn't a proven .720 starter before he got here.......
              No but he also had no stability in Arizona, either.
              sigpic

Comment

No but he also had no stability in Arizona, either.
                Who provided the stability in Denver?

Comment

This guy;

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...e89a8&ei=UTF-8

Comment

Pat Bowlen .

Seriously, I'm not saying Shanahan isn't stable or that we haven't been competitive under Shanahan up to this season. I've never denied that. But do I think there's a strong possibility players are giving up on him? Sure. And most of that and the reasoning why was addressed by fcspikeit, in my opinion.

I think it's entirely possible that Shanahan is being stubborn with his system, and not putting his players in the best position to win games. Ask almost any coach, powder, which wins out most of the time - schemes or players - and I would guarantee you 8/10 of those coaches would say players will win over schemes.
                    sigpic

Comment

• I don't agree that Shanny will leave after this season. But I will say that if we lose 2 or 3 more games like we did against the Bolts and Lions who knows?
                      Which, in all actuality, is all I've been saying in this thread.
                      sigpic

Comment

Which, in all actuality, is all I've been saying in this thread.
                        eek, and Bronco's have got a rough schedule comming

Comment

• Originally posted by BigChiefTablet View Post
                          eek, and Bronco's have got a rough schedule comming
                          After this Sunday you mean

Comment

• I love how fans abandon their players and coaches. That shows real support... nothing i haven't seen or heard all these years.

He's the head coach and calling out his players in a closed door meeting might be more motivational then anything.

I want to set a challenge: if somebody can find 3 negative comments from former or active players about Shanahan, I'll give you some CPs. Cause I haven't seen anything like that since his tenure. In fact, any free agent he woos for YOUR Broncos, he usually achieves it.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                            2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

• Originally posted by AsianOrange View Post
                              I love how fans abandon their players and coaches. That shows real support... nothing i haven't seen or heard all these years.

He's the head coach and calling out his players in a closed door meeting might be more motivational then anything.

I want to set a challenge: if somebody can find 3 negative comments from former or active players about Shanahan, I'll give you some CPs. Cause I haven't seen anything like that since his tenure. In fact, any free agent he woos for YOUR Broncos, he usually achieves it.
                              So Shannon Sharpe, Darryl Gardner, and Trevor Pryce don't count?
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730
                                So if I find the comments from Sharpe, that's all you'll ask for, since you're giving me Pryce and Gardner?
                                Sure. If you want to work hard on finding a quote on how much your team's coach sucks, go for it. You would prove my point.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                                2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Working...
                                X