Mike Shanahan Calls Out His Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stnzed View Post
    Are you the least bit insulted if some people were to insinuate that your kid might "quit on his coach" after a season like this?
    LOL,

Are you reading that into what has been wrote here in this thread?

"after a season like this"

Its not the fact we have a losing record, its the fact that our play calling is conservative at best. It's like telling your guys to stand up and play like men, then you give them a JR size ball and send them on the field.

Also, how many people said they thought our guys quit half way through the last game? Wouldn't that be the same as giving up on a coach if you felt his game plan was flawed?

It happens all the time! As I understand it, Warren didn't like his new role on the line so we got rid of him. Ray Lewis was criticizing the play calling of Billick because he called 3 strait pass plays when they only needed 2 yards for a first down. Should he have done it in public like that? Probably not but even if he kept his mouth shut it wouldn't have changed the fact he felt his coach dropped the ball.
    _
    Card by broncos_mtnman Sig by MasterShake America: Freedom to Fascism Watch this!
    All you need to know about Yellow & White Bars, CPs, and Levels

Comment

Are you the least bit insulted if some people were to insinuate that your kid might "quit on his coach" after a season like this?
      My son has never quit on anything and I would challenge anyone to give me proof that he has/is/did. I would be pissed at him if I saw any indication that he did. We would have more than just a serious discussion and I would be as disappointed in him as I ever have. I have been so proud recently as I ever have. He has taken all the bs that has been thrown his way ie.."slapping the ball out of Cutler's hand on the 1 yd line vs Green Bay" and handled it with class and an inner poise that I haven't seen in him before. I was his coach in football and hockey from the time he was 7 till his senior year in high school and it's not in him to quit He loves the game too much. Coming from Alaska and a D2 college, he has always been the underdog and he has had to work way too hard to get to this point to give up because of a little adversity. We have had a lot of really good discussions recently, and we actually talked about this subject 2 hours ago. Thanks for the question. dk

Comment

• Originally posted by kupesdad View Post
        My son has never quit on anything and I would challenge anyone to give me proof that he has/is/did. I would be pissed at him if I saw any indication that he did. We would have more than just a serious discussion and I would be as disappointed in him as I ever have. I have been so proud recently as I ever have. He has taken all the bs that has been thrown his way ie.."slapping the ball out of Cutler's hand on the 1 yd line vs Green Bay" and handled it with class and an inner poise that I haven't seen in him before. I was his coach in football and hockey from the time he was 7 till his senior year in high school and it's not in him to quit He loves the game too much. Coming from Alaska and a D2 college, he has always been the underdog and he has had to work way too hard to get to this point to give up because of a little adversity. We have had a lot of really good discussions recently, and we actually talked about this subject 2 hours ago. Thanks for the question. dk
        It's good to have you here, as always...

Send our best from the calmer members of the board, please.
        Thanks, Reid!
        sigpic
        Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by fcspikeit View Post
          LOL,

Are you reading that into what has been wrote here in this thread?

"after a season like this"

Its not the fact we have a losing record, its the fact that our play calling is conservative at best. It's like telling your guys to stand up and play like men, then you give them a JR size ball and send them on the field.

Also, how many people said they thought our guys quit half way through the last game? Wouldn't that be the same as giving up on a coach if you felt his game plan was flawed?

It happens all the time! As I understand it, Warren didn't like his new role on the line so we got rid of him. Ray Lewis was criticizing the play calling of Billick because he called 3 strait pass plays when they only needed 2 yards for a first down. Should he have done it in public like that? Probably not but even if he kept his mouth shut it wouldn't have changed the fact he felt his coach dropped the ball.
          No, fc, I'm just wondering if he has a problem with people saying his kid might dog it because his coach is on his way to only his second losing season in a decade and a half.

Some people are acting like "Quiting on your coach" is an exceptable option for these players, and that it means the coach must go.

As for reading anything into what's been writen in this and any other thread....That's exactly what some people are saying: That Shanahan has lost this team and they are quiting on their HC.

Your point on play calling is well taken....I'm not fond of what I THINK is conservative game plans either, but I try not to get too caught up in criticizing play calling....I'm just a construction worker!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cugel View Post
            Do you think that every coach who has a losing team has "lost control" of his team because they got blown out?

What on earth makes you think that? There's a lot of young players on this team and they obviously got rattled during the loss in Detroit and lost focus and concentration.

So, Shanahan pointed out where individual players had failed and what kind of effort he expects out of his players. What's exceptional about that? Don't think that the same thing isn't happening in Cleveland, or the Jets or the Rams, or Miami or the disappointing Ravens or the Bengals, etc.? Lots of teams are underachieving and their coaches will probably be calling out players and letting them know their performance has to improve.

As long as Bowlen is behind Shanahan, he's the coach. And the players know that he's not afraid to fire them because he just fired Amon Gordon and Simeon Rice and Brian Clarke and Curome Cox. They look around the locker room and see where guys they started the season with are suddenly not there.

How can Shanahan "lose control." There's hardly a single player on this team (outside of Cutler whose job is not in danger) who can count automatically on latching on with another team if he lost his Broncos job. The exceptions would be starters who have generally played well and will stay no matter what happens this season or next with the Coaches: Champ, Bly, Lynch, Javon, Graham, Dumervil.

Add in some rookies who can't be blamed for not being starter material yet and injured players who didn't participate in the blowout and can't be blamed for it: Moss, Crowder, Thomas, Harris, Nalen, Hamilton.

That's 13 players, barely 1/2 of the starting 22. The rest better start concentrating if they want to stay on the Broncos or even in the NFL. Think teams are rushing to pick up Amon Gordon? Curome Cox? Brian Clarke? Those guys will be lucky if they ever get another chance in this league. They might not.

What's going to happen to players who don't listen to him and don't respond? Same thing that happened to Warren & Rice. They'll be gone, no matter who they are.

Even if the players don't start winning, they have to start concentrating better. If they don't they'll be gone next year. Simple.

I don't see how that's Shanahan "losing control." He has total control and he's proving that this week! And if the players don't respond, then there will be new faces in their places next season. There's always somebody who wants your job in the NFL!

If Shanahan walked away at season's end, the turnover would be much greater. Most new coaches like to bring in new players and EVERYBODY's job is then in jeopardy. The new coach would start with ZERO commitment to anybody and would evaluate each player in turn and decide whether to keep him. Most would wind up in another city or out of the league if that happens.

Good post!

Shannahan will get this turned around. He is a winning coach, he has proven that time and time again.

I feel at this point in the season we have nothing to lose, We should let our guys lose, tell them to go out and win the game. I get the feeling shanahan will open it up this Sunday.

IMO Shannahan has earned the right to have at least 3 terrible season in a row before we get serious about looking over the market to find a new head coach.

That said, Shanahan is the head coach of this team, if they are giving up on plays he is somewhat to blame for that. It is his job to get them ready. If they aren't able to do the job he asks, it is his job to get rid of that player and get someone who can. Every player on this team is here because Shannahan wanted them. Even if the problem is their lack of effort, Shannahan still has to bear some blame because he was the one who brought them here.

IMO Shannahan was addressing this with the meeting. He is making sure his guys are ready and willing to lay it all out.

Its a good start, I hope the team shows up for him Sunday
            _
            Card by broncos_mtnman Sig by MasterShake America: Freedom to Fascism Watch this!

Comment

• Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
              It's good to have you here, as always...

Send our best from the calmer members of the board, please.
              Hey LT!

How have you been? Long time no see (read?). Yeah it's been an interesting year.

Comment

No, fc, I'm just wondering if he has a problem with people saying his kid might dog it because his coach is on his way to only his second losing season in a decade and a half.

Some people are acting like "Quiting on your coach" is an exceptable option for these players, and that it means the coach must go.

As for reading anything into what's been writen in this and any other thread....That's exactly what some people are saying: That Shanahan has lost this team and they are quiting on their HC.

Your point on play calling is well taken....I'm not fond of what I THINK is conservative game plans either, but I try not to get too caught up in criticizing play calling....I'm just a construction worker!!!
                IMO "Quiting on your coach" is not acceptable! They are paid to do a job. No one forced anyone to play here. If they don't like Shannahans play calling they can leave the team. If they choose to take the field they should give it their all every play.

No matter their feelings of Shannahan's play calling, he is the head coach.

This reminds me of something I told my niece, I was an assistant coach to her softball team. The head coach was really conservative, he wouldn't let our catcher throw the ball to try and get a player out when steeling a base. When they would he always gave them hell. Even when they got the girl out he still told them, "I better not see you do that again". He pulled a girl once for doing it even after she made the throw and they got the out.

My niece was bad mouthing him because he did not have faith in them and he wouldn't give them the chance to make plays. I totally agreed with what she was saying, But I asked her, do you want to leave the team? She said no, I said well you know what your getting with Scott as the head coach. Like it or not he is the HC, if your going to play on this team you have to give him respect. If your going to play on this team you had better give it your all every play or there is no point in playing.

The sad thing about all this was they ended up finishing 3rd to teams who had coaches who wasn't afraid to let their players take chances and make plays. Every time we were playing a poor team and they would over throw the ball and we would get another base he would say, "see, that is why we don't risk it". Playing conservative can only take you so far. I guess he would rather be 3rd rather then let his players try to be 1st and risk being 5th.

But it wasn't even that, I understand not risking to much when you can beat poor teams playing conservative. Why take the chance right? But even when we played the best teams he had to know we couldn't beat them giving up all those steels. When their best batters came up he thought it was unsportsman to walk them. They of course walked our best batter. But that was because they were bad coaches with no class
                _

Comment

Good post!

Shannahan will get this turned around. He is a winning coach, he has proven that time and time again.

I feel at this point in the season we have nothing to lose, We should let our guys lose, tell them to go out and win the game. I get the feeling shanahan will open it up this Sunday.

IMO Shannahan has earned the right to have at least 3 terrible season in a row before we get serious about looking over the market to find a new head coach.

That said, Shanahan is the head coach of this team, if they are giving up on plays he is somewhat to blame for that. It is his job to get them ready. If they aren't able to do the job he asks, it is his job to get rid of that player and get someone who can. Every player on this team is here because Shannahan wanted them. Even if the problem is their lack of effort, Shannahan still has to bear some blame because he was the one who brought them here.

IMO Shannahan was addressing this with the meeting. He is making sure his guys are ready and willing to lay it all out.

Its a good start, I hope the team shows up for him Sunday
                  Good post.I think the players are certain of who is sailing this ship. The one's that aren't will soon find themselves playing arenaball or somewhere else. Last week's game was one of those where you lose key players that you could ill afford to lose since we were starting with a half full tank anyway and the hits kept coming.

This week we just need to play loose on Offense, catch the ball please, protect our injured qb like mom was in the game, make some holes for Selvin,Travis Cecil, Mike that even I could drag my slow fat a$$ through and PROTECT THE BALL.

Special Teams....field position, protect the ball

Defense, get upfield and pressure the qb, fly to the football. 9-5-9, 9 people within 5 yards of the ball 90% of the time. Play the game like you did when you were playing for free, when the best thing you had to look forward to was the party after the game and the cute girl that thought you walked on water waiting for you to show up. Have fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by kupesdad View Post
                    Good post.I think the players are certain of who is sailing this ship. The one's that aren't will soon find themselves playing arenaball or somewhere else. Last week's game was one of those where you lose key players that you could ill afford to lose since we were starting with a half full tank anyway and the hits kept coming.

This week we just need to play loose on Offense, catch the ball please, protect our injured qb like mom was in the game, make some holes for Selvin,Travis Cecil, Mike that even I could drag my slow fat a$$ through and PROTECT THE BALL.

Special Teams....field position, protect the ball

Defense, get upfield and pressure the qb, fly to the football. 9-5-9, 9 people within 5 yards of the ball 90% of the time. Play the game like you did when you were playing for free, when the best thing you had to look forward to was the party after the game and the cute girl that thought you walked on water waiting for you to show up. Have fun.
                    I can tell you used to coach!

After reading that I am ready to strap on my helmet and hit someone

Go Broncos!!!!!!
                    _

Comment

• Originally posted by AsianOrange View Post
                      I love how fans abandon their players and coaches. That shows real support... nothing i haven't seen or heard all these years.

He's the head coach and calling out his players in a closed door meeting might be more motivational then anything.

I want to set a challenge: if somebody can find 3 negative comments from former or active players about Shanahan, I'll give you some CPs. Cause I haven't seen anything like that since his tenure. In fact, any free agent he woos for YOUR Broncos, he usually achieves it.

idont think anyone is saying shanny isnt a likeable personable guy...its alot harder to call out a coach you like then one you dont
                      but eddie quitisen, daryl gardner are two of the top of my head and i know theres more
                      sigpic
                      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

I can tell you used to coach!

After reading that I am ready to strap on my helmet and hit someone

Go Broncos!!!!!!
                        I love the game and have been retired all of 1 year and already miss it.

Comment

• I have much respect for Chris Kuper's dad, and I'm glad that he set the record straight with what I posted at the beginning of his whole thread. Shanahan did not tear into his players.

I'm right, so the world may continue again.

=)

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                            I said HEAD COACH, powder.
                            So, going from an OC to a HC, he somehow became unable?

I don't think Spock could see the rationale in that, let alone a human.
                            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X