Mike Shanahan Calls Out His Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
    Shanahan finally has the QB he’s been wanting since Elway, some great young talent on both sides of the ball, and he’s going to give it up after 1 rough season?

Somehow, I really don’t see it.
    I agree, this theory smells of sportswriters inventing scenarios. Shanny will still be around for awhile regardless of the outcome of this season.

I also agree that this was a good move, but I hope he handles it right from here on. Getting pissed at the team is a great attention getter, but he cannot keep a hostile attitude or he'll lose them. From here on in he needs to be extremely encouraging, and often point out when players do well. Occasionally a player may still need to be torn into,but anger motivation is shortlived . . . it's always got to be followed with positive reinforcement and encouragement in order to tap into the full potential.

It's the same with kids. You can yell or punish or whatever, but after it's done you've got to take them out for icecream so they still know you love 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
      I agree, this theory smells of sportswriters inventing scenarios. Shanny will still be around for awhile regardless of the outcome of this season.
      I don't think they're inveting scenarios. I think they feel if this team doesn't respond to Shanahan, that he'll walk away from this team. There's nothing worse than a situation in which the coach has lost his team. And even if he has a young Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, what are the so-called 'bad apples' telling these guys? Are they telling them that Shanahan is wrong, and that he doesn't know what he's talking about? Because if that's the case, when those guys are gone, Cutler, Marshall, Sheffler, Crowder, Moss, etc. will still be here, and that information will be embedded in their heads every time there's a questionable call by the coaching staff and every time they lose a game.

So yes, there's a problem - a serious one - if this team goes 4-12. If Mike Shanahan doesn't quit, then you basically keep a coach in place that the team has no respect for.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
        I don't think they're inveting scenarios. I think they feel if this team doesn't respond to Shanahan, that he'll walk away from this team. There's nothing worse than a situation in which the coach has lost his team. And even if he has a young Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, what are the so-called 'bad apples' telling these guys? Are they telling them that Shanahan is wrong, and that he doesn't know what he's talking about? Because if that's the case, when those guys are gone, Cutler, Marshall, Sheffler, Crowder, Moss, etc. will still be here, and that information will be embedded in their heads every time there's a questionable call by the coaching staff and every time they lose a game.

So yes, there's a problem - a serious one - if this team goes 4-12. If Mike Shanahan doesn't quit, then you basically keep a coach in place that the team has no respect for.
        I agree to an extent. I just don't think he'll walk this year. He'll take at least one more off-season and next year to reclaim the team. If the same thing happens next year, then yes I can see him walking away, but not this year.
        Last edited by LordTrychon; 11-08-2007, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I agree to an extent. I just don't think he'll walk this year. He'll take at least one more off-season and next year to reclaim the team. If the same thing happens next year, then yes I can see him walking away, but not this year.

And I would have agreed...before he made this move. With this move, however, I think that Shanahan has put himself out there, to where if this team doesn't respond and at least stay competitive, then he'll walk away.
          sigpic

Comment

And I would have agreed...before he made this move. With this move, however, I think that Shanahan has put himself out there, to where if this team doesn't respond and at least stay competitive, then he'll walk away.
            Maybe? But I'm hoping we don't have to find out because we're gonna finish the season 7-1 for a total 10-6 record.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
              Maybe? But I'm hoping we don't have to find out because we're gonna finish the season 7-1 for a total 10-6 record.
              I'm not worried about our record at this point. It's mostly irrelevant to me.

I want to see significant improvement from Cutler, Marshall, Sheffler, Crowder, DJ Williams, Bly, and others for the remainder of the season. I think at this point, if we can put together a 7-9/8-8 season, then that'll be a huge accomplishment, and I think Shanahan will stay.

But if we wind up 4-12 or 5-11...I don't know if I see Shanahan coming back, given this move he made earlier this week.
              sigpic

Comment

I like that Shanny did this, as coach and you believe Players are not playing hard then you have to call them out. Hope it helps.

However, sometimes teams just don't have chemistry or they don't gel well together and I hope this is not that type of team and our stuggles are just do to all the changes and injuries.

Comment

Sandy Clough reported today on 950 AM The Fan, that his inside sources have informed him that earlier this week, Mike Shanahan held a team meeting, and tore into his players, calling them out individually in front of everyone else, and showing them film of individual poor play. One of the bigger names mentioned (although according to Sandy, pretty much everyone got an earful) was Matt Lepsis.

Shanahan is not known for using this tactic, and I applaud him for doing it now when there's still a sliver of hope for a respectable season, rather than waiting until this team is possibly 3-7 or 3-8. That said, if it blows up in his face, and the team lays an egg for the rest of the season, I have no doubt in my mind that he'll step down from this team following the conclusion of the season.
                  Well, the team does need a kick in the butt to get something going. I think just because the Broncos are in "panic mode" we will see a better performance on sunday @ KC.

Comment

I want to see significant improvement from Cutler
                    I think he's already very good, but I want to see Cutler take the next step as well. However, I think there are things outside his control preventing him from doing so, so it's not all on him. I believe being without a consistent run game, not having a healthy Walker or O-Line, and the conservative playcalling (lack of deep passing game and red-zone conservativeness) has really hand-cuffed his development at this point.

With that being said, I firmly believe he's our guy for the future, and is capable of carrying the load on his shoulders if he were asked to do so. He's proven that to me already with his ability in the 2 minute drill.

Comment

I have no idea what the future holds for Mike Shanahan and the Broncos organization or what they are thinking as far as the future.

Other then Jay Cutler I got a pretty good handle that he is the future of the Broncos.

I have been very Disappointed with the Veterans of this team thus far in the season.

To me its like they have no hunger and are just going through the steps.

And after the loses they are just giving the media and the fans the same old lip service.

I agree 100% that Mike Shanahan needed to sit players down and say hey look here.

Big difference in teams that have players that get paid to play.

Then teams that have players that get paid to go to work.

If they are not doing the their job yes Mike Shanahan needs to let them know it.

Alot of people want to give credit to the coach for a team that is winning.

Few want to give criticism to the coach for when the team is losing.

Do I think it is fault the Broncos are 3-5 no.

But do I think the coach needs to take some accountabitity for it as well.Yes

He is the captain of the of the S.S Broncos if that ship dont make it to shore does it matter who gets blammed.It mite not be his fault but he is still the captain of the ship.If he has to throw some dead weight overboard or show players to the plank at the end of the season im all for it.
                      :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

ok i also listened to the show this morning.

First- shanny will not be leaving- MARK MY WORDS, HE IS HERE TO STAY!!

The team has not lost any respect for shanny either, we just suck right now. They will be motivated, oh yes they will, we still might not win anymore games but they will play and shanny will be our coach.

As far as his coaching goes, he has done a pretty good job if you ask me. Look at it this way.

Offense- we can drive on anyone. When we want to move the ball, we move it and we get into the redzone. Also keep in mind that we hardly ever (i dont think we have even tried yet) to drop the deep bomb pass. Now there are factors for that, but i will get into those in a second. Our problem is scoring in the redzone, sure we could let cutler loose and definitley score more tds. But shanny is being extra cautious with him to coach him up not right, but PERFECT!

Obviously shanny and the rest know that jay can do if we had too, but he doesnt want that yet. He wasnt jay to learn, see, and do every possible thing so as to not ever make any mistakes and be elite at what he is asked to do.

If we let jay loose, sure we will score more, but then he could start making bad descisions, not making reads, etc. This season is almost down the tanks so why not use it as an extra practice time to make sure he has ironed out every possible kink.

Look at the team as a whole (broken down) defense we got the best back 4 you could want- yes lynch is gonna quite soon, but champ and dre can hold their own if we get a little help from upfront.

DE- we are set, moss,rice,dummerville,crowder- they will produce, they are young give them a little time

DT- biggest need here, This is where all the problems start- We need atleast 2 new ones

LB- this is hwere problems finish, we need atleast 1 new one.
                        Once we stop the run with DT or LB then we can focus on getting to the qb more. It will aslo make champ and dre's job easier as they will have saftey help over the top (where as now the s is in the box or at line of scrimmage)

on offense we need oline andthats it. we are set at wr,te,qb,rb (even with henry's possible suspension).

We need jay to have more time, and holes to be opened up for the rb- Injuries have a part of this, but so does the age of the players on our team. We are YOUNG. besides lepsis we got kuper, myers, pears (all new to us or young in the system) same for Dline- new to us or system.

All this has nothing to do with the coaching as shanny is doing a fine job, we just need a little time for the players we got to get better, and or to fill in our wholes that we have, by lost players, injuries, etc.

Shanny will fix this during FA, and Draft, and next year things will be muchi diffrernt. We arent as bad as we seem, and neither is shanny
                        So far:
                        FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                        1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Good break down of your opinion underrated29:clap:
                          Give this fan a frosty round of CP
                          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by humpbobby View Post
                            Good break down of your opinion underrated29:clap:
                            Give this fan a frosty round of CP
                            Done

I’m glad to hear an opinion of someone else who listened to the same show.

To me it sounds like Shanahan is just trying to light a much-needed fire. I’m looking forward to seeing how the team responds.

Comment

Hey, all he is doing is trying to put some fire in them. They have under-achieved all year and need to step it against a division rival. This win or loss will probably determine if we have a fighting chance to get to the playoffs. No way would Shanny quit after one bad season. If he were to quit, he would have quit in '00 when the Broncos went 6-10.

Comment

I doubt even if they go 4-12 the team has no respect for Shanny. But of course you're opinion is fact on this so whatever floats you're boat. Mark my words Mike will be back next year. No matter the outcome.

As far as people telling you someone is wrong. Comon seriosly. They should be adults and know that opinions are like @$$ holes. Every one's got them and they all stink. If they dont know that then they would have given up along time ago.

Even if you're the worst team in the NFL you still call out you're players and expect better.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

Working...
                                X