Mike Shanahan Calls Out His Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When players stop buying into the system
    That dont make the coach bad or the players wrong.
    What does happen is a losing team
    Alot of blame can be passed around when that happens who is right or wrong who knows from a fan prospective.
    Im not saying I think the players are not buying into Mike Shanahan.
    But it is the first thing I thought about Bates after the S.D game.
    Last edited by LarryDean; 11-08-2007, 10:53 AM.
    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
      I'm not worried about our record at this point. It's mostly irrelevant to me.

I want to see significant improvement from Cutler, Marshall, Sheffler, Crowder, DJ Williams, Bly, and others for the remainder of the season. I think at this point, if we can put together a 7-9/8-8 season, then that'll be a huge accomplishment, and I think Shanahan will stay.

But if we wind up 4-12 or 5-11...I don't know if I see Shanahan coming back, given this move he made earlier this week.
      I can't trust your assessment on Shanny's future in Denver for the simple reason that you posted a big long rant that ended pretty much the same way as the assessment of a news report based on a second hand witness of the events. In essense, it appears to me that you are shading this story with your speculations and thoughts on the matter. Even if the team collapses this year and we end on a 3-13 record, I don't see Shanahan leaving.

As others have said, I doubt Shanny will walk if this season ends in a collapse of our beloved Broncos and we end up with a top ten pick in the 2008 draft (I doubt we could garner the #1 pick even if we lost the remainder of the season.) He's, simply, too close to having a team that can take him to the SB on any given year.

Comment

But if we wind up 4-12 or 5-11...I don't know if I see Shanahan coming back, given this move he made earlier this week.
        Given what move? Talking harshly to his players? I hardly think thats something new.. and certainly nothing new in the realm of sports. I wouldn't read too much into Shanahan reaming some players for not playing well, or playing as if they just didn't care.

Comment

A couple of years ago, and even last year, I remember Rod Smith taking the players aside in a meeting and holding them accountable.
          That kind of leadership is something this team is sorely lacking this year, and will continue to lack once Smith retires.

To me, this sounds like a good coaching move. I think a lot of players will learn from this, and I hope the leaders step up and take this as an example of how to be a leader.

It will be interesting to see what comes from this game this weekend. With Cutler likely to play, one more reason to tune in!
          sigpic
          Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
          -Sean Payton

Comment

I don't see this as a positive move, but rather the proof in the pudding of the ulcer that we know Mike Shanahan has lost the team, and they are tuning him out.

Not much will change for the rest of the season, if you ask me.

The Broncos have given up on the season, they lack motivation and they have outright quit and given up.

Last weeks pathetic effort and the Chargers drubbing should have been enough to come to that conclusion.

The team is entirely disinterested.

I predict some sort of off-season house-cleaning, and even Shanahan is probably looking over his shoulder now.
            sigpic

In this picture, Rivers explains why he thinks he is so good.

Is that Y=LT?

Comment

One thing you can tell about this team, is that they just are not having fun.

The give up one big play and they just quit. And they give up for the rest of the game.

Last week there was no effort, period.

The Buffs got rolled over last week, but at least you could visibly see they were trying to establish something.
              sigpic

In this picture, Rivers explains why he thinks he is so good.

Is that Y=LT?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                Given what move? Talking harshly to his players? I hardly think thats something new.. and certainly nothing new in the realm of sports. I wouldn't read too much into Shanahan reaming some players for not playing well, or playing as if they just didn't care.
                I read a lot into it simply because it's never been Shanahan's M.O. as a head coach, at least, one that's ever been reported. Usually a player or players on the team stand up and take ownership, which is clearly not happening this year. And I think a move like this is even more proof that Shanahan expected this team to perform at a much higher level than they have been.

I know you don't necessarily buy into all this hooplah when it comes to Shanahan, ravage. But Sandy Clough has been covering this team since their first Super Bowl appearance back in '78, and is a huge Shanahan supporter (he stated just this week that Denver is unlikely to ever find another head coach who has done what Shanahan has done for this team in the immediate future). But even he said that after what Shanahan did, if this team winds up 4-12 or 5-11, he'll walk away and/or a change will be made. And I can honestly say that this is the most talk I have ever heard/read about Shanahan leaving the Broncos after a season since that Florida job came up a few seasons back, in which Denver came very close to losing Mike Shanahan.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
                sigpic

Comment

I read a lot into it simply because it's never been Shanahan's M.O. as a head coach, at least, one that's ever been reported. Usually a player or players on the team stand up and take ownership, which is clearly not happening this year. And I think a move like this is even more proof that Shanahan expected this team to perform at a much higher level than they have been.

I know you don't necessarily buy into all this hooplah when it comes to Shanahan, ravage. But Sandy Clough has been covering this team since their first Super Bowl appearance back in '78, and is a huge Shanahan supporter (he stated just this week that Denver is unlikely to ever find another head coach who has done what Shanahan has done for this team in the immediate future). But even he said that after what Shanahan did, if this team winds up 4-12 or 5-11, he'll walk away and/or a change will be made. And I can honestly say that this is the most talk I have ever heard/read about Shanahan leaving the Broncos after a season since that Florida job came up a few seasons back, in which Denver came very close to losing Mike Shanahan.

since you listend to todays show i am going to assume that you have listend to ones in the past. I listen to it everyday as i drive to work after droping my son off at the babysitters.

In case you missed some of the last shows:

Sandy and co, also went along the lines of saying that shanny is under a lot of scrutiney for this season (obviously). But he has been with us for x number of years and deserves some time to rebuild weather they say they are rebuilding or not.

He also went on to stat that jeff fisher went under the same fire with the titans when they were sucking balls after their sb wins. But now that they are coming out of it everyone is back on his badwagon saying look how he has improved the team,etc.etc.

Sandy in todays case is just expressing his opinion, He thinks that maybe yes, shanny should walk if they dont win out. I can assure he wont, but that is also the stupidest move ever.

And if people think Bowlen will give him the boot, think again. He said last year that mike is not going anywhere and he will let mike do his thing to make this team great. If there was anytime when shanny would have been on the chop block it would have been last year. There is no way bowlen or anyone else axe's him this year. They know we have essentiallya rookie QB. They want to see what mike can do with him.

Plus, changing coaches would most likely set the team and players back again. Look at the defense, last year was bad, this year is horrible! or look at the chargers, they were awesome last year, this year...what is it...4-5 record..Coaching change anyone????

Then look at what effect that might have on cutler, being so young and new, jsut grasping our system and what the coaches want him to do and then BAM change it all up on him again. That would most likely have a negative effect or at least alter the way he plays which could disrupt the timing of wr, or play calling and further set the team back again.

I like sandy, and mossier, and the others, but this idea of shanny walknig is just dumb. And not to discredit sandy, but look at his stint with the avs. It lasted like two weeks before they decided he wasnt what they were looking for. The man is good, but not infallable. He has an educated opinion, and uses it well, but its all just opinion. And there is a difference between media opinion smoke and actuall sparks coming out of the FO.
                  So far:
                  FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                  1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

I still don't see the "Mike Shanahan is quitting" smoke signals.

Shanahan isn't accostomed to dealing with a losing team? Well, I’ll agree with that. But if that’s the case, it’s because very few of Mike Shanahan’s teams are losing teams.

So he takes the team behind closed doors and shows them video of what they’re doing wrong. Seems to me that’s exactly what a coach SHOULD do. The players need to fear losing their jobs if they’re not performing to standards.

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                      since you listend to todays show i am going to assume that you have listend to ones in the past. I listen to it everyday as i drive to work after droping my son off at the babysitters.

In case you missed some of the last shows:

Sandy and co, also went along the lines of saying that shanny is under a lot of scrutiney for this season (obviously). But he has been with us for x number of years and deserves some time to rebuild weather they say they are rebuilding or not.

He also went on to stat that jeff fisher went under the same fire with the titans when they were sucking balls after their sb wins. But now that they are coming out of it everyone is back on his badwagon saying look how he has improved the team,etc.etc.

Sandy in todays case is just expressing his opinion, He thinks that maybe yes, shanny should walk if they dont win out. I can assure he wont, but that is also the stupidest move ever.

And if people think Bowlen will give him the boot, think again. He said last year that mike is not going anywhere and he will let mike do his thing to make this team great. If there was anytime when shanny would have been on the chop block it would have been last year. There is no way bowlen or anyone else axe's him this year. They know we have essentiallya rookie QB. They want to see what mike can do with him.

Plus, changing coaches would most likely set the team and players back again. Look at the defense, last year was bad, this year is horrible! or look at the chargers, they were awesome last year, this year...what is it...4-5 record..Coaching change anyone????

Then look at what effect that might have on cutler, being so young and new, jsut grasping our system and what the coaches want him to do and then BAM change it all up on him again. That would most likely have a negative effect or at least alter the way he plays which could disrupt the timing of wr, or play calling and further set the team back again.

I like sandy, and mossier, and the others, but this idea of shanny walknig is just dumb. And not to discredit sandy, but look at his stint with the avs. It lasted like two weeks before they decided he wasnt what they were looking for. The man is good, but not infallable. He has an educated opinion, and uses it well, but its all just opinion. And there is a difference between media opinion smoke and actuall sparks coming out of the FO.
                      I listen to their show every morning, and so I won't argue with any of your points, because they're all true (but keep in mind that I stated specifically in my post that Sandy is a big supporter of Shanahan, so I never denied anything stated in your post).

I truly think that if this team continues to slide - not necessarily lose, but continue to play as poorly as they have and quit during the middle of a game - then Shanahan will, in all probability, step down. It's clear with this and other comments made by players that Shanahan is quickly losing this locker room, and calling out individual players like he did will either bring everyone together and make them play hard for him, or further distance the players from the coaching staff. And if I've learned anything in my 17 years of watching the Broncos and the NFL, it's that it's easier and non-detremental to the salary cap to release the coach than the numerous players who are playing poorly and/or not listening to the coaches.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                        I still don't see the "Mike Shanahan is quitting" smoke signals.

Shanahan isn't accostomed to dealing with a losing team? Well, I’ll agree with that. But if that’s the case, it’s because very few of Mike Shanahan’s teams are losing teams.

So he takes the team behind closed doors and shows them video of what they’re doing wrong. Seems to me that’s exactly what a coach SHOULD do. The players need to fear losing their jobs if they’re not performing to standards.
                        You can't release a bunch of players just because they're not listening to the coaches.

One or two - sure. But when you start talking about 20-30% or more of the team, then the head coach needs to start worrying about his job, which I think is likely what prompted Shanahan to do this in the first place. He's not about to stand by and watch his team quit on him, so he's starting to swing back. I really like this move, and hope it will pay off. But if it doesn't, hten I really don't think Shanahan will stick around for next season.
                        sigpic

Comment

GOOD. That's exactly how the way to coach this team, especially with the performance they've been having. I wish it had started earlier.

Comment

What is with you wanting Shanahan out so bad Mojo? This is 90% of your posting at this point...

He isn't going anywhere after this season, even if we lose every game by 30. Again, if you have payed any attention to our front office, you would know that he has built up more leeway than a single loosing season. He also is not the type of coach to just quit. I'm pretty sure he is really excited about the young core of an offense that he now has. I, along with most (including the owner and GM), all would like to see what he can do once this core is developed.

Comment

Originally posted by jhns View Post
                              What is with you wanting Shanahan out so bad Mojo? This is 90% of your posting at this point...

He isn't going anywhere after this season, even if we lose every game by 30. Again, if you have payed any attention to our front office, you would know that he has built up more leeway than a single loosing season. He also is not the type of coach to just quit. I'm pretty sure he is really excited about the young core of an offense that he now has. I, along with most (including the owner and GM), all would like to see what he can do once this core is developed.
                              I think if a coach calls his players out for giving up on plays and not giving it their all, in front of everyone in a team meeting, and they still continue to give up on plays and not give it their all, then you have a serious problem - one that won't be corrected under Shanahan, no matter how long he sticks around.

BTW, before you hate on me, keep in mind that these words come from Sandy Clough and Mike Evans, so it's not something I'm creating or trying to start.
                              sigpic

Comment

I listen to their show every morning, and so I won't argue with any of your points, because they're all true (but keep in mind that I stated specifically in my post that Sandy is a big supporter of Shanahan, so I never denied anything stated in your post).

I truly think that if this team continues to slide - not necessarily lose, but continue to play as poorly as they have and quit during the middle of a game - then Shanahan will, in all probability, step down. It's clear with this and other comments made by players that Shanahan is quickly losing this locker room, and calling out individual players like he did will either bring everyone together and make them play hard for him, or further distance the players from the coaching staff. And if I've learned anything in my 17 years of watching the Broncos and the NFL, it's that it's easier and non-detremental to the salary cap to release the coach than the numerous players who are playing poorly and/or not listening to the coaches.

nor am with yours, its all opinion man, you got yours, sandy has his, and i have mine. I hope when i called the idea of shanny stepping down dumb you took it as my opinion of the idea and not you being dumb. As i reread it could have been interpreted that way.
                                So far:
                                FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                                1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Working...
                                X